Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why IGN refuses to Rate the game?

luke11hkluke11hk Member Posts: 3

They gave 9.4 to Bioshock infinite way before it was released.

Since DF had 3 Betas, and there are info about the game on IGN.

Why IGN refuses to rate the game? Is the review gonna hurt the game so bad? 

Since it is p2p, I dont wanna risk $59.99 on a game that IGN refuses to give a rating. 

Can anyone justify that?

Comments

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

I'm pretty sure they're not refusing anything. The publisher decides when sites like IGN are allowed to post their reviews. Sometimes they're allowed to do it before the game is released, sometimes not. In the case of Bioshock Infinite IGN got special treatment and were allowed to post their review a couple of days in advance.

Also, why the hell would you trust IGN?

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Kaerigan

Also, why the hell would you trust IGN?

^This...

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    I thought it was FTP???

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    they shouldn't release reviews on MMOs before the release.. any site that does isn't doing a fair review as stability and such after launch should be included imho.. MMO reviews always trickle in slowly as they require a LOT more playtime to see majority of the content compared to a single player game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Becuase the unseen politics and money exchange has to be hammered out first. IGN is horrible. 
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Not all games can be reviewed before the release date. This is controlled by the dev/publisher and can be held back for several reasons. In this case I suspect it's the same reason they give for keeping the Alpha under NDA. Supposedly to keep spoilers for the show from appearing too early.

You might think that they can't stop anyone from posting an early review but they can and do. You might get one done but you'll never get another done. In fact you'll never get to look at any new game again. The publishers will just blacklist you and that's the end of your invitations to press events, copies of games to preview, beta invites, the lot.

So yeah, I think you'll find IGN and like sites have been told not to review it until release day by Trion. That's why we've only seen things available in the Beta weekends events.

• StimzStimz Member UncommonPosts: 79

1. Its B2P- you buy it, but no subscription

2. Look at what borderlands/borderlands 2 got, then add acouple points because its online.

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    How can you do a full review of a mmo that isn't out? Most Mmo reviews pop up a month or two later.
  • DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    Becuase the unseen politics and money exchange has to be hammered out first. IGN is horrible. 

Pretty much this.

Right now Trion has only offered to pay for Ad slots.

IGN is still holding out for a cash payment.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IueXtzdC6kA

Sorry to go off topic but kudos on your signature-R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg.

That guy was funny.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by luke11hk

They gave 9.4 to Bioshock infinite way before it was released.

Since DF had 3 Betas, and there are info about the game on IGN.

Why IGN refuses to rate the game? Is the review gonna hurt the game so bad? 

Since it is p2p, I dont wanna risk $59.99 on a game that IGN refuses to give a rating. 

Can anyone justify that?

Most sites won't actually score an MMO until they've actually had time to get in and play for a while, under the conditions that normal players can expect.  It's not just an IGN thing.

Anyway, if you can't actually afford to lose $60, then get another hobby or just wait until the reviews come out. in a few weeks.

You make me like charity