Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

EverQuest: The Design Philosophy of EverQuest Next

13»

Comments

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by mysticaluna

    I'm excited about the game, but I'm hoping it will have what blizzard has with battle.net, where I can contact any friends on Everquest 1 or 2 by being logged into EQNext, it is really sweet that you can talk to people on Starcraft while you are playing WoW...

    SOE offered this chat service long before Battenet did

     

    when EQ2 launched in 2004 -- players could talk to their friends playing other SOE games

     

    I was talking to my EQ friends while playing EQ2 9 years ago -- using cross server chat

    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/tells.html

  • VorthanionVorthanion Laguna Vista, TXPosts: 2,117Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Iadien
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    Player-Driven content is the key. You can't burn through player driven content. It's always there to grow. I'm not saying every game should be based solely on it, but it should be available and optional in every game.

    Agreed.  My concern though are some of the comments made by the Cryptic guy as he alluded to games that are completely player driven.  I'm sorry, but I'm not going to fork out cash for a game where the developers do nothing but put in the tools for players to create content, unless most of that money goes to the author of said content and not the lazy developers.

    Vorthanion, you do know how much work these "lazy" developers put in to creating and maintaining these worlds, right? It's absurd to think that players will put in anywhere near the same amount of time and effort into the game that developers do. Do you think these tools are easy to create? Do you think that the developers stop working once the game is launched? I won't even discuss creating sound, art, lore, etc.... sigh

    I know darn well how much work they put into it, but that does not negate the fact that they are depending on player authors to provide the real content that keeps players playing and paying and they should get their share of the profits.

    image
  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

    I know darn well how much work they put into it, but that does not negate the fact that they are depending on player authors to provide the real content that keeps players playing and paying and they should get their share of the profits.

    PlayerStudio does exactly that

    https://www.everquest2.com/player-studio/get-started

    right now its only cosmetic items but it has the capability to be expanded

     

     

  • HedeonHedeon GraestedPosts: 954Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by mysticaluna

    I'm excited about the game, but I'm hoping it will have what blizzard has with battle.net, where I can contact any friends on Everquest 1 or 2 by being logged into EQNext, it is really sweet that you can talk to people on Starcraft while you are playing WoW...

    SOE offered this chat service long before Battenet did

     

    when EQ2 launched in 2004 -- players could talk to their friends playing other SOE games

     

    I was talking to my EQ friends while playing EQ2 9 years ago -- using cross server chat

    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/tells.html

    would be a good question though, if they made sure this is in EQnext as well, dont even know if it is possible in PS2 atm, to cross server chat, but did use this quite alot when I moved from the US server to a EU.

    would wish though that the friendlist were better incorporated, very annoying in EQ2 to have to re-add all your friends + their alts on all your own alts...but okay I do hope that the possibility to have alts is heavy reduced in EQnext, simply grown into hating alts.

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by Hedeon

    would be a good question though, if they made sure this is in EQnext as well, dont even know if it is possible in PS2 atm, to cross server chat, but did use this quite alot when I moved from the US server to a EU.

    would wish though that the friendlist were better incorporated, very annoying in EQ2 to have to re-add all your friends + their alts on all your own alts...but okay I do hope that the possibility to have alts is heavy reduced in EQnext, simply grown into hating alts.

     I overlooked if PS2 has that chat functionality

     

    i agree w you that i wish SOE friend list was better

    I like the solution in GW1 / GW2 best -- you can add their name (or ignore) and your friend  lists are "account aware"

    (without having to be confirmed by other other player)

  • William12William12 Saint paul, MNPosts: 680Member
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Karteli

    Only vague mentions of "partially owned by" references.  Who owned the majority?  Can you include a reference to February 1999, as eluded to before?

     

     

    You want to squabble about the month?  just do a search and you can easily find that verant was spun off in 1999.  Does it really matter what month?  Someone had to own EQ in Decemeber 1998 since it was 3 years in development at that point and a few months away from release.  If Verant didnt exist, than who owned it?

    Indeed .. who owned it?

     

    Unless it was documented as Sony's IP, then it was Smedly's.

     

    I realize you are pro-SOE and want to promote them.  If you want to do so effectively, you need to prove it.

     

    "Someone must have owned it, so it must have been Sony", doesn't cut it.

     

    It was Smedley's Vision, he put all his personal assets on mortgate.  Sony balked, Verant was formed.  Later Sony had second thoughts and wanted it, but only after EQ was successful.

     

    Sony was tied to EQ from it's conception (ala Qeynos), but they didn't have majority of ownership ever, right?  You said they did.  .. ??  No proof of that.

     

    As I've said and smed and brad have all said Sony has always owned EQ.   SONY ALWAYS OWNED EQ read it again and again until your thick head gets it.  You hate SOE we get it but they're responsible for what started this MMORPG generation and you cannot deny that no matter how you want to spin it.

    You've addmited smed worked for Sony and worked on EQ.  You know when you work for a company and have a contract like Smed does there is a clause in almost every employee contract stating any work done while on company time is owned by the company ? 

     

    Sony owns 989 studios and owned part of verant when it spun off and bought the rest of it later.  Why would a company invest in a game and just give it away  ?   They owned it during its entire development and paid for probably most of its development but hey with your logic they just gave it away.

  • WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,426Member Uncommon

    Sadly ,he actually doesn't say much at all,we have to wait a few months before we know exactly what this game is about.

    IMO i think the "community" aspect means adding in peripherals like Iphones,Facebook,Twitter you know all that garbage that little kids like to hang out on to act popular and ask 1 million people to add them and like them.

    I really hope i am worng and that stuff stays out of the game.

    The most important concept is cash shop,if Smedley and his board room seem to think it will fly,they will lose their shirt.Thw second important aspect is BUGS,SOE is famous for being the worst develoepr for quality  control,they simply leave tons of errors without fixing them.TONS of memory leaks without fixing them.

    It is important because many saw how it went down in Vanguard,leaving bugs and memory leaks,did NOT sit well with gamers.

     


    Samoan Diamond

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by Wizardry

    Sadly ,he actually doesn't say much at all,we have to wait a few months before we know exactly what this game is about.

    it wont be too long -- 4 more months until Aug 1st

  • YamotaYamota LondonPosts: 6,620Member
    Originally posted by finnmacool1

    Im not sure why anyone would buy a $oe product. Eq was their one and only "hit" and it happened by accident and only due to lack of competition.

    1. Matrix (dead)

    2. SWG (dead)

    3. Vanguard (one server,might as well be dead)

    4. Eq1 (still their most successfull game)

    5. Eq2 (not a failure but hardly a success)

    True. I am sceptic about SOE as their track record in MMOs are anything but good and I will take this sandbox hype with a grain of salt. Sandbox means creating a framefork for the players and let go of controlling how they play. Doubt SOE will be able to do that.

  • JimmydeanJimmydean Ypsilanti, MIPosts: 1,270Member
    Seems like they actually know what's going on with current MMORPGs and why they are less than successful. Really looking forward to EQ Next.
  • HazelleHazelle Brampton, ONPosts: 760Member
    Originally posted by Jimmydean
    Seems like they actually know what's going on with current MMORPGs and why they are less than successful. Really looking forward to EQ Next.

    GS: Last question, John. What's the one lesson from your two years of seeing Star Wars Galaxies being played, that you wish you knew sooner?

    John Smedley: That straight sandbox games don't work. And that we needed to focus much more on the Star Wars experience. I think in the past, what we probably made was the Uncle Owen experience as opposed to the Luke experience. We needed to deliver more of the Star Wars heroic and epic feeling to the game. I think we missed there. That's what I think we really brought to the game [with the update].

    http://www.gamespot.com/

13»
Sign In or Register to comment.