Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most immersive world/community?

bmiles510bmiles510 Member UncommonPosts: 11

Are there any MMOs out there nowadays where its easy to just fall into the world and enjoy yourself?  I don't think I've been able to feel such a thing since my days in FF XI and the original SWG.  SWG is gone now and FF XI has changed so much that its just a speed grind into an endgame grind fest like every other damn MMO out there.

Are there any worlds out there left where I can enjoy the journey as much as the destination?  An MMO world thats easy to get involved in with a decent community to make the experience even better?  Even if its just some RP server tucked away on a game that makes it more interesting, I'm just trying to find a game that I can get absorbed into for a few hours a day without worrying about whats 10 levels in the future while feeling like I'm working a job that I hate to get to max level.

To be more clear, I'm not trying to avoid a grind altogether.  I just want a grind in a world that interests me and makes me feel like a part of it.  Not just a player.  Any suggestions off hand?  Sandbox would probably be preferred but I'm open to both types if its good enough.

Comments

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I thought LOTRO felt fairly immersive.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

LOTRO (though the cash shop can get intrusive to this) is probably one thats held up the best

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Psychow

...Seriously? The invisible walls, the way if you follow the Brandywine you just run against nothing and you can't get by? The way some zones auto kill you because you didn't do the right quest? The trash mobs littering every spare bit of grass? The moutnains that get randomly placed in zones that don't have them (the shire) to black you off? And the best, the dungeon entrances that say "you can't enter here without the right quest" yeah I loved those.

Art style was nice though.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Asheron's Call

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ClaudeSuamOramClaudeSuamOram Member Posts: 122

Depends on what time frame you are askign about.

Are we talking all time? Or current popular one?

All time without a doubt EQ1.

Current popular ones? Hard to say, as most don't have an immersive world, or community. But if I had to pick one of the more current ones (That I have played at least) I'd say Vanguard: SoH.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

+1 for LoTRO really great for immersion , may want to take alook at Fallen Earth also if that setting suits you ..

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    I haven't played it but GW2 world was slated as very large and immersive. LotRO is for sure. The Lorien forest for me. I can spend insane amounts of time there just running about gathering various resources.
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by free2play
    I haven't played it but GW2 world was slated as very large and immersive. LotRO is for sure. The Lorien forest for me. I can spend insane amounts of time there just running about gathering various resources.

Personally it seems like really immersive games tend to not have mass questing.  When I am so focused on the quests I am trying to complete, I often forget to pay attention to the game world around me, missing out on a lot of the things that make the world immersive.

With GW2 I spent more time looking at the map, trying to find the next hear or event.  Rather than really paying attention to the world around me.  If they had made the game the way they originally wanted to, without any renown hearts or scouts, I would probably have enjoyed the game sooo much more.  As I would have found the aspect of wondering around looking for events and adventuring much more immersive.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Still waiting for a genie in a bottle to grant me wealth so I could make this mmo.  Otherwise, no.  I miss FFXI too but I agree it will never be the same.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

...Seriously? The invisible walls, the way if you follow the Brandywine you just run against nothing and you can't get by? The way some zones auto kill you because you didn't do the right quest? The trash mobs littering every spare bit of grass? The moutnains that get randomly placed in zones that don't have them (the shire) to black you off? And the best, the dungeon entrances that say "you can't enter here without the right quest" yeah I loved those.

Art style was nice though.

I didn't like the character creation.  To limited.

Originally posted by free2play

The cities in GW2 are absolutely amazing.  The starter zones too, very immersive.  However I found that the deeper i got into the game the less immersive it was

• bmiles510bmiles510 Member UncommonPosts: 11

I mean I guess I could give LOTRO another shot... As someone says, the cash shop is the thing that kills it for me.  Its too intrusive but idk maybe I could deal with it if I get into the game far enough. 

GW2 isn't immersive to me at all.  I feel like I'm playing an MMO easter egg hunt with a map that perfectly shows me where they all are.

Have not played Asheron's call or Fallen earth though.  Could be worth looking at.  

I just wish there were more sandboxy immersive games out there to choose from.  Theres a metric ton of games if my play style is WoW clone.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Originally posted by bmiles510

Are there any MMOs out there nowadays where its easy to just fall into the world and enjoy yourself?  I don't think I've been able to feel such a thing since my days in FF XI and the original SWG.  SWG is gone now and FF XI has changed so much that its just a speed grind into an endgame grind fest like every other damn MMO out there.

Are there any worlds out there left where I can enjoy the journey as much as the destination?  An MMO world thats easy to get involved in with a decent community to make the experience even better?  Even if its just some RP server tucked away on a game that makes it more interesting, I'm just trying to find a game that I can get absorbed into for a few hours a day without worrying about whats 10 levels in the future while feeling like I'm working a job that I hate to get to max level.

To be more clear, I'm not trying to avoid a grind altogether.  I just want a grind in a world that interests me and makes me feel like a part of it.  Not just a player.  Any suggestions off hand?  Sandbox would probably be preferred but I'm open to both types if its good enough.

Vanguard...

Gameworld with endless expoloration..

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

Originally posted by Phelcher

Vanguard...

Vanguards cities are among the least immersive in any MMO.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

Vanguard...

Vanguards cities are among the least immersive in any MMO.

Yeah being able to enter every house and talk to NPC, and have all them have meaningful dialogue, is sooooo unimmersive.

• LoganKonlanLoganKonlan Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by bmiles510 Are there any MMOs out there nowadays where its easy to just fall into the world and enjoy yourself?  I don't think I've been able to feel such a thing since my days in FF XI and the original SWG.  SWG is gone now and FF XI has changed so much that its just a speed grind into an endgame grind fest like every other damn MMO out there.   Are there any worlds out there left where I can enjoy the journey as much as the destination?  An MMO world thats easy to get involved in with a decent community to make the experience even better?  Even if its just some RP server tucked away on a game that makes it more interesting, I'm just trying to find a game that I can get absorbed into for a few hours a day without worrying about whats 10 levels in the future while feeling like I'm working a job that I hate to get to max level.   To be more clear, I'm not trying to avoid a grind altogether.  I just want a grind in a world that interests me and makes me feel like a part of it.  Not just a player.  Any suggestions off hand?  Sandbox would probably be preferred but I'm open to both types if its good enough.

Vanguard...

I had subbed Vanguard for a while and really liked it...especially if you like the WoW clone thing.
    The political system (cards) as I recall was innovative and fun. I stopped playing because there was a lot of talk about SOE closing the servers - but they still haven't.
    Maybe it's worth a shot.
    I did like LOTR too. Most fun was fishing in the brook next to my little cabin, but I agree with most that the character creation was limited and the cash shop is a negative (but it's the future I think.)

If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Yep as mentioned by many the GREED got the best of Square Enix,now they are ruined forever.

My top three picks all at least free to play or try in some fashionm are 

EQ2...AOC...Vanguard all pretty good games.

Immersion juist doesn't exist as good as it should and here is the two main reasons.

1 Eco systems,they don't exist and should.

2 Imersive NPC's and mobs.FFXI did have good mob Ai and they roamed around usually a little more than other games.

Another problem i have is the way games litter areas with a ridiculous amount of mobs,it looks unrealistic.I would love to see mobs roam an entire map,not just one small traingle.

I am waiting for Archeage,it will be good enough to keep many new players interested for awhile.It won't be game breaking or absolutely different but the game will be good out of the gate,without waiting for promises or missing content.

Example...Hand gliding,building ships,pvp on land or water,housing in an open map concept,albeit a sort of housing district zone.Your own plots/gardens, duo mounts so your wife or GF can hop on  ..lmao.The game will also have some physics,something other games don't have.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Yep as mentioned by many the GREED got the best of Square Enix,now they are ruined forever.

My top three picks all at least free to play or try in some fashionm are 

EQ2...AOC...Vanguard all pretty good games.

Immersion juist doesn't exist as good as it should and here is the two main reasons.

1 Eco systems,they don't exist and should.

2 Imersive NPC's and mobs.FFXI did have good mob Ai and they roamed around usually a little more than other games.

Another problem i have is the way games litter areas with a ridiculous amount of mobs,it looks unrealistic.I would love to see mobs roam an entire map,not just one small traingle.

I am waiting for Archeage,it will be good enough to keep many new players interested for awhile.It won't be game breaking or absolutely different but the game will be good out of the gate,without waiting for promises or missing content.

Example...Hand gliding,building ships,pvp on land or water,housing in an open map concept,albeit a sort of housing district zone.Your own plots/gardens, duo mounts so your wife or GF can hop on  ..lmao.The game will also have some physics,something other games don't have.

U playing Wizardry Online..?

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Ryzom
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Are there any MMOs out there nowadays where its easy to just fall into the world and enjoy yourself?

GW2 was great for me in that respect, just not perfect.  But otherwise I'll wait for a sandbox to fulfill my wanderlust.  I know someone will release a decent one SOME day.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Lotro is a joke these days due to being so purely pay-to-win anymore, not to mention that  if things don't go well for WB after the Tolkien Estate lawsuit, WB will be forced to shut down all things Tolkien related. 

GW2 is anything but immersive as well because of the fact there is nothing immersive about it? It is solely a PvP button-mashing solo game with no social asetics, housing, or RP support.

EQ2 was the last real immersive MMo and I say last because the graphics don't hold a candle to today's gaming tech. 

The only MMOs coming out in the near future with immersion will be Wildstar even though it is cartoonish in nature. ESO & Defiance have the possibility of becoming immersive, but not at launch.

• bmiles510bmiles510 Member UncommonPosts: 11

This thread disappoints me.. Not because the lack of help but because that... of the HUGE Games List here on MMORPG.com, not a single game seems to fit the simple role of oldschool MMORPGs that have modern graphics and other such innovations.  Seems like my options are WoW clone or 10 year old game that has tried to become WoW through updates.

Not here to hate on WoW, I'm just tired of that specific style of MMORPG.  I miss my SWG and FF XI days and would love to see a modern sandbox with a world that didnt grab me by the hand and just yank me through the world without my having to even sit and think for 2 seconds.

• trikkitrikki Member Posts: 58
    Tera Online is the best invisible wall simulator ever created.
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530

Are there any MMOs out there nowadays where its easy to just fall into the world and enjoy yourself?  

There are a ton... Pick your poison. I don't think it's about the game, but more about the player and how far they wish to immerse themselves. 

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

There's no skill grinding in EVE. Or "max levels", come to that. Give it a try.

Give me liberty or give me lasers