Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Super Adventure Box!

HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Pardon my language, but how fucking incredible is this thing!?  It's Zelda meets Mario 64 meets GW2 with a ton of progression to work on over the next couple weeks!  At least I hope they keep this in for a few weeks. 

How far has everyone gotten so far?

Comments

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Leave positive feedback on the forums if you want this to be a permanent minigame.

I can understand removing the 8-bit stuff from the open world, but MAKE THIS RATA SUM'S MINI-GAME.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    I do hope they leave this in... anyway i got to the frog boss.. it stopped dropping those jewels might of been a bug not sure

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Vorch

Leave positive feedback on the forums if you want this to be a permanent minigame.

I can understand removing the 8-bit stuff from the open world, but MAKE THIS RATA SUM'S MINI-GAME.

I mean "mini-games" like this are so in depth and polished and huge that it seems like a downright waste of development time to only have it be temporary.  On the other hand, when they're temporary or seasonal, they become special for the period they're released, and everyone participates in them.  I love the excitement when everyone scrambles to run content together.  It also makes it easy to find groups and socialize with people.  That's one of the main praises I have for the Living Story so far.  It consistently gets players together in the same areass, oftentimes lower level areas that max level players may otherwise neglect.  It keeps the whole world feeling relevant and alive.  

I think the special skins you work toward in the Adventure Box would lose a bit of their luster too if the game mode was permanent.  At least to me, skins, no matter how awesome, become less intriguing when everyone and their mother has them.  Although they could keep the Super Adventure Box and just remove the skin rewards until this time next year, at which time there will be a sudden renewed interest in the game mode.  That way people who really want to play it just for how awesome it is can when they want to--and of course, they could keep standard rewards.  

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    I do hope they leave this in... anyway i got to the frog boss.. it stopped dropping those jewels might of been a bug not sure

Yeah I got to the frog boss too and he eventually stopped dropping jewels for us as well.  The ruby amulet became untargettable (I think we dpsed it all the way down), but we hadn't finished killing the frog.  Between people randomly throwing the jewels at the wrong times or it not targeting properly when his mouth was open, we used all the available jewels up and he still had a lot of life left.  

I'm thinking it has to be a bug.  

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

They should leave all thier hard work in.. in one way or another.

GW2 would be a much more content heavy game if everything was 'added' instead of making guest appearances. Like all the events from the beta and stuff.. why has that all been scraped?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Vannor

GW2 would be a much more content heavy game if everything was 'added' instead of making guest appearances. Like all the events from the beta and stuff.. why has that all been scraped?

It's irritating to me that they removed the Halloween content, because due to pc issues, I never had a chance to earn those achievements or the gear.  I know it makes it more meaningful to have them only certain times of the year, but I still feel a little gypped.  Then again, most games have BORING holiday features that last far less time.

Originally posted by Vannor

There are several reasons, some of which I touched upon in my earlier post.  It all comes down to a mighty pro/con list and what Anet's design goals were.  

For one, they want to make their world feel persistent and ever-changing.  Now a lot of people already criticize that this doesn't happen in the impossible way that they would claim they were led to believe it would happen, stating that DEs aren't truly dynamic.  They just keep repeating in a cycle.  But then you have all these 1 time events, and Living Story phases that move on, and special seasonal events, and the beta events that players get to reminisce about and tell stories about.  Remember trying to make your way up the Mad King's Clock Tower 300 times?  Remember running for your life, trying to be the last survivor of the Hunger Games?  Quite simply, the fact that these events were limited is what helps make them so memorable.

They also make achievements and rewards earned during these limited time only events more meaningful.  Imo, this is one area where this game is quite lacking.  There isn't much you can do in the game that is impressive.  The biggest rewards in the game, legendary weapons, are utterly unimpressive.  They just signify that you grinded a lot of gold and karma, or perhaps got lucky in the Mystic Toilet.  Acquiring some of the limited time holiday skins has been some of the *harder* (comparatively) things to get in the game.  When people see them, they have more meaning.  And again, they tell a little bit of a story.  

It's also true that most MMOs have temporary holiday content, though not quite on the level of GW2.  It's only so striking in GW2 because the content is so complete that it would actually qualify as a major patch update in other MMOs.  This is exactly the kind of stuff that becomes permanent content in other games.  Which is really an extraordinary plus for Anet, imo.

Special temporary content draws a massive portion of the population together.  There's definitely something to be said about bringing masses of players together with a common goal.  It's both a great community builder and an incredibly exciting time.  Most players can relate to the excitement that surrounds a game's new release, or an expansion, or a major content patch.  This is exactly what happens in GW2 with every one of these very frequent content additions.  Players flock together in full force MMO hustle and bustle.  

The flip side of this is how do players react to content that has been in the game forever?  They eventually become indifferent to it.  The opposite of exciting.   How do you react to keg brawl?  Caudecus Manor?  The WvW jumping puzzles?  These are unique bits of content that are always there, ever present.  They may have each been cool and awesome to you the first time you did them, but how do you feel about them now?  

Anyway, there are a lot of reasons to make the content permanent too, but you asked for reasons behind temporary content, so that's what I gave :)

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Originally posted by Homitu

Pardon my language, but how fucking incredible is this thing!?  It's Zelda meets Mario 64 meets GW2 with a ton of progression to work on over the next couple weeks!  At least I hope they keep this in for a few weeks. 

How far has everyone gotten so far?

It says on patch screen that it's from the 1st to 30th.

I'm on my way in now to check it out.

EDIT: Ok back. Honestly not my cup of tea but I can see how some would like it. Having played Colecovision/Pong and up I really don't care to revisit those decades. But then again I don't understand the whole Retro-gaming thing anyway. Give me Skyrim/FarCry 3/BioShock Infinite(OMFG!) any day.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• samuraislyr4samuraislyr4 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    They said this will be in for the whole month of april, plus I bet since they are getting very good feedback on this, they  will add more to it next year. The map shows far more to explore then we actually go to. I don't doubt they'll add more, perhaps even make something beyond the 8-bit map parts. A more contemporary nod to current games maybe or something. That's a whole year for some of the team to come up with stuff. If they left it in, honestly people will stop caring by next month anyway., 
    Originally posted by samuraislyr4
    They said this will be in for the whole month of april, plus I bet since they are getting very good feedback on this, they  will add more to it next year. The map shows far more to explore then we actually go to. I don't doubt they'll add more, perhaps even make something beyond the 8-bit map parts. A more contemporary nod to current games maybe or something. That's a whole year for some of the team to come up with stuff. If they left it in, honestly people will stop caring by next month anyway., 

That's what I'm thinking as well.  You barely cover 1/8 of the total map.  I was assuming there were 10-15 levels, but apparently there are only 3 for now.  There's no reason they couldn't add more next year, and then more the year after that.  It leaves the same room for indefinite expansion that Fractals leaves.  

And I completely agree that players wouldn't care about the content nearly as much if it were left in permanently, no matter how awesome it is.  3 months from now, almost nobody would be doing it compared to right now.  Skins would be acquired.  The novelty of the gameplay would be worn off.  Unless the content is so hard that it takes months and months for most groups to progress through, or unless there's a perpetual progression incentive a la the cliché gear treadmill, the content will get "consumed" rather quickly.  

Done this way, this specific content always remains fresh.  And like we said, there's infinite room to add on to it each year, which is something I've never seen in an MMO before.  Moreover, as long as we keep getting something new like this nearly every month, you get absorbed in the all new hustle and bustle all over again and spend less time worrying about the loss of last month's cool event.  I'd even say it gives people who may have missed out on parts of temporary events something to look forward to for next year's release.  

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Homitu
    Originally posted by samuraislyr4

That's what I'm thinking as well.  You barely cover 1/8 of the total map.  I was assuming there were 10-15 levels, but apparently there are only 3 for now.  There's no reason they couldn't add more next year, and then more the year after that.  It leaves the same room for indefinite expansion that Fractals leaves.  

And I completely agree that players wouldn't care about the content nearly as much if it were left in permanently, no matter how awesome it is.  3 months from now, almost nobody would be doing it compared to right now.  Skins would be acquired.  The novelty of the gameplay would be worn off.  Unless the content is so hard that it takes months and months for most groups to progress through, or unless there's a perpetual progression incentive a la the cliché gear treadmill, the content will get "consumed" rather quickly.  

Done this way, this specific content always remains fresh.  And like we said, there's infinite room to add on to it each year, which is something I've never seen in an MMO before.  Moreover, as long as we keep getting something new like this nearly every month, you get absorbed in the all new hustle and bustle all over again and spend less time worrying about the loss of last month's cool event.  I'd even say it gives people who may have missed out on parts of temporary events something to look forward to for next year's release.  

If they added more and more mini-games, simply offering it as one of the options for completing the daily/monthly would be enough to maintain a steady tide.

However, I do agree. The novelty would wear off. They really need to have one of these sorts of mini games each month (or every other month).

WHERE'S MY POLYMOCK AND ARCHERY?!?!

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Anet are hands down amazing. If anyone had any doubts about GW2 this bashes them all down into mud.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Anet are hands down amazing. If anyone had any doubts about GW2 this bashes them all down into mud.

Yeah, I agree.  But even if GW2 disappointed them, most should be able to admit that ANet are dedicated devs.  I feel the same way about Trion even though I don't play Rift and don't plan to play Defiance (at least for now).  Good people trying their damndest to bring you a good product is what we need more of.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

People have lots of legitimate concerns and criticism when it comes to GW2. A good mini game( matter of taste) is in no way some kind of proof that those concerns and drawbacks are simply people trying to 'bash' Anet.

I have no idea how you made the connection between the two. This mini game which lasts for a month or so is somehow supposed to overshadow all the problems that GW2 has? 

Yes Anet is amazing and right up there with Trion in my book but that doesn't mean they don't make mistakes in development of their MMOS.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I hadn't been following upcoming events for ANET.  But in launching the game yesterday and hearing the music in 8 bit.....anyone else think their system was screwing up?   I thought maybe my sound drivers/config went out of whack.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by grimal
    I hadn't been following upcoming events for ANET.  But in launching the game yesterday and hearing the music in 8 bit.....anyone else think their system was screwing up?   I thought maybe my sound drivers/config went out of whack.

Don't know how old you are... but I remember when the 8 bit stuff was the latest and greatest. I admit, I smiled to hear it.

Check inside the box if you haven't. It's amazing.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by grimal

Don't know how old you are... but I remember when the 8 bit stuff was the latest and greatest. I admit, I smiled to hear it.

Check inside the box if you haven't. It's amazing.

I played part of the first level of the instance and it is hysterical. I was laughing so hard and it was fun. I was talking to people who did this instance for 5 hours (they didn't realize the time elapsing).

Hats off to A.Net. As far as Polymock and Archery - they want both different from what was in GW1 and make it fun not just a key mash.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Yeah, I agree.  But even if GW2 disappointed them, most should be able to admit that ANet are dedicated devs.  I feel the same way about Trion even though I don't play Rift and don't plan to play Defiance (at least for now).  Good people trying their damndest to bring you a good product is what we need more of.

I definitely don't play GW2 on a consistent basis. PvE meh, PvP necro is RUBBISH.  I was around for halloween and couldn't give a *&$# about the Razing. This piece of content out-does a lot of other MMOs in terms of april fools content. 

GW2 isn't a game I want to play all the time but it's sure as hell worth the money and I will always go back to see what's going on. Free.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Lol, this is the epitome of somepne voicing an opinion down peoples throats. I can t stand Super Adventure Box. I understand it s a mini game, but man it feels so non MMO to me.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Soki123

Lol, this is the epitome of somepne voicing an opinion down peoples throats. I can t stand Super Adventure Box. I understand it s a mini game, but man it feels so non MMO to me.

I'm pretty sure that was their intention...

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by rodingo

Yep and thats why I hate it. I want to play an MMO, not an arcade game.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Easy fix. Don't do the Super Adventure Box.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

It is called April Fool for a reason. You are taking it way too seriously.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

That is the point - it is NOT supposed to be an MMO in the mini-game - WOW - people who post negative are so dense.

Originally posted by botrytis

That is the point - it is NOT supposed to be an MMO in the mini-game - WOW - people who post negative are so dense.

Wow, thanks captain obvious. I m simply stating I don t like it, god forbid GW2 isn t loved by everyone.