Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Guild Wars 2: 8-Bit Madness

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Ah yes, April 1st is on its way along with the requisite fun and games that developers love to pump out. Our team had a great opportunity to check out the forthcoming April Guild Wars 2 update and it's definitely something you won't want to miss. Read our report and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

If you started playing games on the original NES, or even in the arcades of ancient times (or maybe you just loved the movie Wreck-It Ralph), then you are going to love playing Super Adventure Box.  The experience throws you in a 3D world, but with a blocky 8 bit feel.  While your character remains in their great modern look, NPCs look like those you would find in a village of an old RPG.  You could really compare it to Minecraft, but with a different style.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: 8-Bit Madness.

I love the 8 bit look.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614
    this is super awesome and long too, they should make this a permanent fixture

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Did there really need to be 2 news story topics on this?

I guess MMORPG.com dont delete duplicate topics when they themselves make them.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

These aren't forum posts, they're featured articles from separate authors. But nice jab for the sake of making one. ;)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Lets make a petition to make it permanent! This is pure epicness!
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    Lets make a petition to make it permanent! This is pure epicness!

SERIOUSLY!:p

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

The fact that this only lasts until end of April is just mind-boggingly stupid! :(

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by jpnz

The fact that this only lasts until end of April is just mind-boggingly stupid! :(

What's truly mind-boggling is that people will find something to complain about even when something unquestionably awesome occurs.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Hey look a joke update that is better then any update they have ever added in game! What a joke!

Haha kidding, seriously though, its pretty cool update. The game might be over-rated and a meh game in my book, but I got to give it to them for doing a cool April Fools update, treating it more like a holiday then just a single day prank.

• MegatronicMegatronic Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Do you really have nothing else to whine about?

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Nice update! I miss the 7 biy era.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    This is one of the funnest things I have done in a while even tho I soloed it to the next area past the frog king which was awesome. Its like playing an 8-bit game in 3-D.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by nolic1
    This is one of the funnest things I have done in a while even tho I soloed it to the next area past the frog king which was awesome. Its like playing an 8-bit game in 3-D.

I was blown away at the amount of detail and desing behind the thing.

• irfan799irfan799 Member UncommonPosts: 8

i couldnt believe the 8 bit bunnies and toads comin out of the box.. so damn cute and funny. but their interrupts are annoying as hell.

their recent updates have made the game far more interesting.. good job gw2. the best $ spent on any game.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Those sound effects are perfect for this content.
  • CohasCohas Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Great update!!!

Have No Fear Cohas is here!!!

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    not a big fan of 8bit -maybe couse i actually grew up with it- not a Zelda generation either, perhaps if it were frogger or kaboom-or hedgehog.  but what they have done is pure genious for the gamers of all ages!!
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by HrvatPonosan
    [mod edit]

WOW. I am not a Zelda/Mario fan but I think this was sheer genius on A.Net's part.

Maybe if you read more about this APRIL FOOLS patch, you would get the fact that is supposed to fun and silly at the same time. It wouldn't make sense to do this at the same resolution that they do the normal game at - it would defeat the purpose.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    they said if they get positive feedback they will keep working on this, and other things that are wholly unique like this, there is a very small team that designed this for us and took a chance on it. if people enjoy it they will develop more and more maps and more skins etc
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Funny stuff, really funny stuff. I hope I won't be bored out of my mind on it within a week or so though, and if I am then there's still the rest of the game. It's been great fun so far though.

imageimage
  • Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Gimmicks! I am calling it right now... 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    havent seen fun content updates in mmos for years. This is phenomenal.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

I think it's truly legendary what the devs did here.

It's fun

It's an homage to the first console game generations

It's completely unexpected

It's nostalgic

It's just there, do it or don't do it. A little gift.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    This was actually pretty fun. AN is putting out a stunning amount of new content for free. After playing in 8bit world for an hour, goign back to the real tyria was strange. Everything looked TOO real.