Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will I be missing if I avoid Cyrodil completely?

AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Beside the stories, landscapes, PvP and some players...

Will I be missing anything else?  Or will somethings be extremely rare?

Will I be able to travel to everywhere else?

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    You'll be missing the only decent sounding part of the game.
  • SentnlSentnl Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

This.

ESO wont be some roleplaying jizz fest, it's hopefully going to have some competitive RvRvR (Although I'm not sure how their.. cloud server thing will effect that)

I sometimes play under the alias "Exposed". Don't tell anybody.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    You will be missing the focus of the game, this isnt TES, its war in a closed off invisible box where it magically cannot reach your homeland. Everything you mentioned is just the funnel, the end of the funnel is themepark PvP. So, if you are not going to PvP, dont bother with the game, they are not making it for RPG fans.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by jtcgs
    You will be missing the focus of the game, this isnt TES, its war in a closed off invisible box where it magically cannot reach your homeland. Everything you mentioned is just the funnel, the end of the funnel is themepark PvP. So, if you are not going to PvP, dont bother with the game, they are not making it for RPG fans.

Oh pleasseee, the war never came to your homeland in any ES game, look at the last joke of an ES game - Skyrim. Where you could murder key figures in the realm and nothing would happen... where you could murder towns with no dramatic consequence... Ugh, the hypocrisy with ES fanboys...

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Anofalye

From what I understand, if you roll alts on the other factions, you can access most of the content other than Cyrodil.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by XAPKen

From what I understand, if you roll alts on the other factions, you can access most of the content other than Cyrodil.

As far as we've been told at this point, when you hit 50, you can unlock another factions territory, and when you complete that, you can unlock the third. Increasing difficulty/loot or some nonsense.

I think it was also said that it would be instanced, and you wouldn't see opposing players...

Originally posted by Sentnl

Oh pleasseee, the war never came to your homeland in any ES game, look at the last joke of an ES game - Skyrim. Where you could murder key figures in the realm and nothing would happen... where you could murder towns with no dramatic consequence... Ugh, the hypocrisy with ES fanboys...

The only war in Skyrim was between the Imperials and the Stormcloaks...and they DID fight right there in Skyrim. There was no other war taking place. Ugh, the hypocrisy with DaoC fanboys...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

The only war in Skyrim was between the Imperials and the Stormcloaks...and they DID fight right there in Skyrim. There was no other war taking place. Ugh, the hypocrisy with DaoC fanboys...

I never played daoc, seeing as that's your only argument, I suppose I win, but I will grant you this horse raddish.

I never noticed a war going on between anyone in Skyrim, just a bunch of silly dialogue, and I killed some guys, and I did some quests that didn't have any effect on anything... Tell me again how Skyrim was such an amazing game that ESO wont live up to...

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

This.

ESO wont be some roleplaying jizz fest, it's hopefully going to have some competitive RvRvR (Although I'm not sure how their.. cloud server thing will effect that)

Well yeah, the mega server and the fact that you can go to the other realms pretty much ruins the RvR.

I never played daoc, seeing as that's your only argument, I suppose I win, but I will grant you this horse raddish.

I never noticed a war going on between anyone in Skyrim, just a bunch of silly dialogue, and I killed some guys, and I did some quests that didn't have any effect on anything... Tell me again how Skyrim was such an amazing game that ESO wont live up to...

As you defend a game that gives you an entire world at war...that wont effect anything because its behind a wall...you win!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Actually, as a poit of note, you did come across groups of imperials and storm cloaks fighting.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by XAPKen

As far as we've been told at this point, when you hit 50, you can unlock another factions territory, and when you complete that, you can unlock the third. Increasing difficulty/loot or some nonsense.

I think it was also said that it would be instanced, and you wouldn't see opposing players...

If you are PvE only, this is what I see. Playing each faction to see all the PvE content. Then the adventure zones may be out after that for more difficult PvE. It will probably come down to how well the PvP ends up. If there are problems with the PvP, they may put more into the PvE adventure zones to keep the PvE players happy. Because the PvP players will abandon ship very quickly if there are problems.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253

Everything.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    AvA oriented pvp is meant to be the end game of TESO. Its the whole reason they are not including other forms of PVP and end game activities at launch. They want to get as many people as they can involved in AvA right from the start. Skip it and you are missing out on the long term hook per say.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    This game is just going to be another souless pvp game with a crap background story used as an excuse to pvp. these guys hate those guys so capture their keeps and go kill their emperor so someone else can take it back later repeat and rinse whoopee doo...
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Yup I'm afraid it will be yet another PvP garbage with PvE lacking in most aspects. I'm not sure anymore if I'll buy it because I'd be mostly interested in TES PvE.
  • GreenWidowGreenWidow Member Posts: 157

@OP

You will miss the entire point of this non-TES game.  PVP

Zenimax is making a PVP oriented game because they are under the delusion that this will succeed.

When the few, very loudmouthed, pvp people get tired of the same old crap they've seen with different skins they will jump ship quickly just like in GW2 and the several dozen other games whose designers ignored the PVE crowd when we told them it was a stupid plan.

No you cannot go everywhere.  You must grind your ass off to 50 and then you can go to an instanced version of the next area devoid of people and pointless in the extreme if you are playing this as an MMO.

After more pointless grinding you may go to the third area...also devoid of players for more utterly pointless grinding.

The concept of exploration is LOCKED  - can't do it

The concept of character design freedom LOCKED - can't do it

Races are LOCKED - can't join and play with your friends unless they pick your faction

Skills are LOCKED by Race/Faction

This is not TES.  It's PVP with TES names. 

Welcome to another 3 month wonder that will be F2P in 6 months or less because the designers are dumbasses.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”The Iron Code"

How can two of my favorite game companys fuck up this bad seriously? I mean bioware with swtor/EA and now Bethesda letting daoc devs do the mmo of their best IP.  Bethesda better not mess up the Fallout mmo.
  • PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Wait until the company gets desperate and starts offering discounts, free trials, or some version of FTP. At the very least you won't get ripped off as bad and can say you did the limited PVE for completeness. How anyone could have thought this was a good idea is beyond me, another IP burnt to the ground. 
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Might miss on some of the exciting Darkness Falls style open dungeons they have planned.

One thing people need to understand is that Cyrodill is not a PvP zone inasmuch as it is a brand new zone to explore which features PvP.  Think of it as playing WoW on a PvP server.  Theres going to be lots of PvE elements inside the zone and in theory if its large enough should be able to treat it as a large open world PvP enabled zone.

At least that is how I am going to treat it, not a fan of PvP any longer (for various reasons) but I am interested in some of those elements that spice up PvE.  Whether it be Farming for mats (which already stated some mats are native to Cyrodill), exploring open dungeons and aquiring new gear/loot.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    wasn't it discussed that they might do away with the level 50 requirement to access other realm's content? would help things along... make the pvp faction based, sure but there is no need to segregate players for pve.
  • VyllynVyllyn Member Posts: 10
    There is a cooldown on Campaine switching and u have to spend alliance points and gold to switch.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

the war in skyrim was optional, if you did join one of the factions though, there were several battles to get involved in, i think the first as a stormcloak was the attack on windhelm, but there were numerous other battle sites scattered around skyrim, mostly outdoors. There was also a tactical map which was literally a table with a map on it, with coloured pins noting positions of armies etc, the first time you see one of those is when you are talking to the jarl of dragon reach and he asks you to help kill the dragon attacking the nearby watchtower.

as someone who has played both DAoC and TES though, i do have several comparisons to make, the first is that although ESO is being compared to DAoC, on closer examination, it lacks a lot of the features that DAoC had to encourage Realm pride, the first of which was that whichever server you were on, you fought together if you chose to join in the RvR battle, i say chose, DAoC oddly enough wasnt primarily focused on PVP, it was as much a PVE game as anything, and the PVP didnt even become an option until players reached a certain level, also ESO will have multiple instances, and i don't mean cyrodil, although that will be split into multiple instances too called 'campaigns' which your assigned to when you create your character in the game, you can move between them, but it takes time, but the world itself outside of Cyrodil is also instanced,  and the people you play alongside in those instances is fluid, dependant on numbers in the game, even so, the people you are playing alongside in each of the PVE areas, won't  all be playing in the same campaigns in cyrodil as you are, which means that the 'cameraderie' so to speak that existed in DAoC, or Realm pride, will be a struggle to achieve in ESO anyway. And this is probably why the lands in ESO are seperated, because their all instanced travelling between Realms isnt that easy, and will involve some kind of zoning/teleport method though i can imagine that Zenimax is probably still working on the details for that one, and thats without getting into all the phasing thats going on in those instancesimage

so while DAoC might not have anything in common with Skyrim, ESO by the looks of things, will have very little in common with either DAoC or Skyrim, beyond a map and maybe, the fact that there are 3 factions in the gameimage

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Dont buy into AvA (PvP in this game) is the only deep part of the game. The PvE is looking really awesome. You have open world 2 man and full team dungeons and instanced dungeons. There is caves and ruins you can explore solo. There is PvE guilds you can join like in TES and it changes how you explore the world. There is public quest like in WAR and Rift. They are also adding phasing events that are for large scale PvE type raids that anyone can join in. So a guild starts one, you can jump in too and get rewarded as well. Once you hit 50 you can explore the other factions maps and the skill level is bumped up and because of this some of the best gear in the game is earned there and its something like an extra 400hr of game play. Also crafting does matter in t he game. They will have best in slot for some items and any item thats is earned in the game can be made better by crafters. They want this to be a crafters dream MMO. Dont play AvA and you still have an awesome PvE game.
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Dont buy into AvA (PvP in this game) is the only deep part of the game. The PvE is looking really awesome. You have open world 2 man and full team dungeons and instanced dungeons. There is caves and ruins you can explore solo. There is PvE guilds you can join like in TES and it changes how you explore the world. There is public quest like in WAR and Rift. They are also adding phasing events that are for large scale PvE type raids that anyone can join in. So a guild starts one, you can jump in too and get rewarded as well. Once you hit 50 you can explore the other factions maps and the skill level is bumped up and because of this some of the best gear in the game is earned there and its something like an extra 400hr of game play. Also crafting does matter in t he game. They will have best in slot for some items and any item thats is earned in the game can be made better by crafters. They want this to be a crafters dream MMO. Dont play AvA and you still have an awesome PvE game.

Ya its but still a shame that a big region like cyrodil is being wasted on making a pvp map.  People who loved oblivion is going to go in cyrodil and be like wtf?  The only way ill be happy about cyrodil is if there are still PvE parts you can do in it like all the caves and dungeons you can explore on my own or with a group while the pvp objectives are going on the outside.