Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance is coming out in a few days. General consensus on it?

Comments

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by kitarad
    If the controls are not PC friendly and I would need a gamepad to play then forget it...not interested although I did like Rift for a bit and would like to support Trion.

While in some ways it plays better with a gamepad, it plays just fine (with some remapping) with standard mouse/keyboard controlls. Dealing with the UI can be nightmarish at first, since nothing is as you'd expect it to be on a PC and since there's no real towns and few real 'safe spots', every menu being full-screen leads to a lot of unnecessary annoying situations  -- like being attacked by a suddenly spawned group of mobs when you thought you were in a relative safe spot and trying to deal with breaking down inventory (a depressingly frequent task, especially early on). But once you get used to the way things are set up it's only annoying, not particularly problematic, and hopefully they'll eventually get around to improving the UI.

Basically I've been using a G700 mouse and N52te or G13 keyboard (both work fine, the G13 a bit better in this instance, IMHO -- oddly the same with FE where generally I prefer the N52te) for the targeting advantage. The aim assist if you're using a gamepad is... Pretty extreme, though I understand that it doesn't work in PvP, but doesn't matter all that much as most mobs have a habit of jumping around like jackrabbits anyway. My only two annoyances, and both are relatively minor is I haven't found a way to unmap the scroll wheel from weapon swapping (I prefer using a side key) and there doesn't appear to be any way to map steering while driving to the mouse -- especially odd given how things work otherwise -- making doing any real driving (especially the races) without picking up a controller seriously annoying when I don't feel it really needs to be.

• cm01cm01 Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by ironnius

I'll be playing, got the Ultimate Edition.

Do I think it will be wtf amazing? Not really, I played the first closed beta and it was alright. It seemed fun, I'm sick of GW2 and have played every AAA title and many of the F2P MMO's out there, nothing is scratching the itch but I figured if Defiance keepes me amused for 3 to 4 months, then I got my moneys worth. At the end of the day it's gonna probably last me longer than any single player title would.

I'm approaching the game as more of an online co-op shooter than an MMO. Will it have the longevity of WoW or EQ etc, almost certainly not. But it should be fun for a while.

This game has a fraction of the content of most recent triple A mmo launches such as swtor and GW2, and those games didn't even last people a month. There's also very little progression to be had because Trion want noobs and vets to be on the same level. You expect Defiance to last 4 months?  Wasted your $60.

• DaringDaring Member UncommonPosts: 138
    I really like the game; it is fast pace action; good looking game; smooth, no lag; but I don't like UI, to clunky.
  • RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

After beta impression.

Concept= Win

Shooter= Fail ( clunky and inaccurate )

MMO =Fail ( too much to list )

TV Show = still holding out high hopes 

* I think this would be a decent game for a couch console commando but a true PC user should not find this game acceptable.

I bet even those that adamantly defend this game  will not be playing it in a month.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Daring
    I really like the game; it is fast pace action; good looking game; smooth, no lag; but I don't like UI, to clunky.

its not clunky, its actually pretty smooth. But yeah it could use some changes for the PC version.

Originally posted by Redcor

After beta impression.

Concept= Win

* I think this would be a decent game for a couch console commando but a true PC user should not find this game acceptable.

I bet even those that adamantly defend this game  will not be playing it in a month.

and according to you what is a true pc user? if the game is fun people will play it. DOnt like shooting in your mmo? dont play it. An mmo shooter is a fresh air form all the CoD (and look-alikes) crap out there. Clunky and inaccurate....mmmh it doesnt feel clunky to me when shooting, and the only time i missed a head shot was when i didnt aim well (harder to get a headshot with a controller) so if you say its innacurate you need some practice.

Obviously you dont like the game, which is totally fine. The game has flaws but not the ones you mentioned. Its good to share opinions with others, as long as you dont pretend they are facts.

• nicariftnicarift Member UncommonPosts: 70

Honestly in my opinion the game is going to be very reliant on theyre consort. The Tv show could very well make or break this game. Not to say that the game isnt viable on its own but that translation between the Tv show and the game could make something very cool. 

As for gameplay i enjoyed it. The leveling system is kind of laking but the EGO rating is cool. Equipment upgrades is very well done. Graphics are ok but i dislike the Physics of the vehicles.  The story is Very awesome and very in depth with a chance to go even further in depth after April 15th. 

If you havent tried it its deffiently worth a shot if you enjoyed games like Borderlands.

If your a story freak like me then its also a deffinite try!

But if your a WOW lover then you proobably will not like it.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by rojo6934

its not clunky, its actually pretty smooth. But yeah it could use some changes for the PC version.

I suspect they mean 'clunky' in the sense that even simple actions become a multi-step mess because of bad UI design.

A good example is breaking down unwanted weapons. First you have to get to the right menu, then double click on a box, then double click on the weapon, then double click on an actoin, then click on 'Okay'.

It's something you do often in the game, oh so depressingly often, and it's made way more annoying than it needs to be. It probably should have been on a context menu, except there are no context menus. No right click, no tooltips, none of UI elements one expects in a modern PC game.

During the last Beta I also tried it on the PS3, since all you needed to DL was have PS+. Even on that console I didn't really think the UI was very good. Not as bad as on the PC, and probably my PC experience coloured my perception some, but even for a console UI I didn't feel it was overly intuitive or made very good use of the system.

It's certainly not a killer flaw, nor anywhere near what I would call the biggest worries I have about launch, but it is a flaw, and on PCs a fairly severe one.

After beta impression.

Concept= Win

and according to you what is a true pc user? if the game is fun people will play it. DOnt like shooting in your mmo? dont play it. An mmo shooter is a fresh air form all the CoD (and look-alikes) crap out there. Clunky and inaccurate....mmmh it doesnt feel clunky to me when shooting, and the only time i missed a head shot was when i didnt aim well (harder to get a headshot with a controller) so if you say its innacurate you need some practice.

Obviously you dont like the game, which is totally fine. The game has flaws but not the ones you mentioned. Its good to share opinions with others, as long as you dont pretend they are facts.

When I speak of true PC shooters I speak of : Counterstrike and Battlefield, I personaly don't play CoD but I have been playing shooters for over 20 years so my opinion is based on those experiences. Aside from Socom on PS2 3rd person shooters are very hard to get right and this game missed the mark. I require a bit more percision in a shooter and like I said before, this one is clunky and inacurate.  I would be more than happy to take the pepsi challenge with my shooting skills anyday sir. I enjoy using guns in GW2 but I would'nt call it a shooter.

-Robert E. Howard

Originally posted by Myria

I suspect they mean 'clunky' in the sense that even simple actions become a multi-step mess because of bad UI design.

ah, yeah it could be more intuitive for PC, no doubt about that. It could be easier to handle althouth its not a game breaker.

Originally posted by bestever

After beta impression.

Concept= Win

Shooting feels fine to me. MMO= fail? How in what way? If you mean the rpg aspects of a mmo then yes which its not a rpg. Its a mmotps. If you don't know what MMO stands for then you shouldn't speak on the subject. I'll be playing till I see all of the game and the DLC. So how ever long that takes

Report back in a month :) if that..

-Robert E. Howard

we learned from this forums that one does not simply predict other people's future. We learned that from SWTOR

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354
    I don't love it on PC but I will be playing on Xbox 360 since that seems like the primary platform they designed for.

we learned from this forums that one does not simply predict other people's future. We learned that from SWTOR

Ha, I got blasted in this forum for saying SWTOR was fail after beta and I bet over half or the fanatics that razzed me don't play that pos anymore.

-Robert E. Howard

Ha, I got blasted in this forum for saying SWTOR was fail after beta and I bet over half or the fanatics that razzed me don't play that pos anymore.

LOL not sure why you even care. Do you feel some type of accompaniment from doing this? I will come trash a game that people like so I feel better about myself lol. Man, now I can go on with my day knowing I trashed that game GOD I FEEL SO GOOD.

I am not trashing the game. I wanted great things for it. I love Fallout rpgs and shooters. I simply said it fails as a shooter and as an rpg and people are accusing me of not knowing what a real fps is. I stopped posting on this site after giving my opinion on SWTOR beta and getting all but bomb threats and now I remember why. I stated my opinion based on years of fps experience , read it, or not , and move on.

-Robert E. Howard

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I like the game. Game play is smooth, the story missions are excellent, combat is fun with pretty enjoyable AI. I like the setting. It's fun.

Now, is it one of the best MMOs to be released in recent years? I don't think so. Is it the type of MMO you can expect to get several hundred to 1,000+ hours of game play from? Probably not. If it was $60 plus a subscription fee, would I buy it? Probably not. However, $60 for an enjoyable Buy to Play game as a secondary or casual MMO experience, I think it's well worth it.

IMO, the tie in to the series will be crucial for the longevity of the game. I just saw that the series has already in production for a full second season, with the first season still yet to air, which is at least a positive sign.

I think the game does a pretty good job of combining enjoyable third person shooter game play with a pretty expansive, open game world, reasonable good mission system that manages to avoid feeling grindy, while being light on many full blown MMO features.

For me, it will be a second MMO that I will play along side GW2. It's a complete change of pace from that game and it's nice to have that alternative. Buy to Play was key for me. Even if I only get 100 hours from the game, I'll consider it worth the price, but I see some potential for getting a few hundred or more hours from the game during the first year.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

LOL not sure why you even care. Do you feel some type of accompaniment from doing this? I will come trash a game that people like so I feel better about myself lol. Man, now I can go on with my day knowing I trashed that game GOD I FEEL SO GOOD.

I am not trashing the game. I wanted great things for it. I love Fallout rpgs and shooters. I simply said it fails as a shooter and as an rpg and people are accusing me of not knowing what a real fps is. I stopped posting on this site after giving my opinion on SWTOR beta and getting all but bomb threats and now I remember why. I stated my opinion based on years of fps experience , read it, or not , and move on.

The game has it's weak points, but for me it succeeds as a shooter. I find it more enjoyable to play, as a shooter, than Fallout. The game mechanics are light on RPG elements, but the story missions are very well done and many utilize characters/actors from the TV show, which is a big plus for me.

It's ok to offer an opinion, but you also have to respect that your opinion isn't anything but subjective.

The game is of high quality. It looks pretty good. It plays pretty smoothly. It has good cut scenes and quality voice over work. Framerates don't take a hit even when zooming across the game world at pretty high speed via vehicle travel. The character models are good quality. The animations are mostly good, cut scenes are obviously fully motion captured, but Trion still can't make a jump animation that isn't completely horrible.

The foundations for a solid game are there. Personal preferences and playstyle will dictate how good a match the game is, or isn't, for a particular person, but IMO there are no major flaws that would ruin what might otherwise be an enjoyable play experience.

The caveat I would offer is that my impression is that the game probably doesn't have enough to it to provide several hundreds of hours of game play. I might be wrong, but I'm setting my expectations for the game as providing maybe 100 hours of concentrated game play before settling into a very part time role, relying heavily on the tie in to the series to maintain ongoing interest. I might be wrong, if I am and it offers more than that, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Thank you mr sage but a lot of players are still playign and enjoying SWTOR. I am sure even if Defiance is not up to your standards a lot of players will continue to enjoy it.

I could give rats ass about your experince and future predictions.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Thank you mr sage but a lot of players are still playign and enjoying SWTOR. I am sure even if Defiance is not up to your standards a lot of players will continue to enjoy it.

I could give rats ass about your experince and future predictions.

Ahh, now you are jumping to my post in here. Strike me down with all your hatred and your transformation to the whine side will be complete. quik go back to the other post, I commented on your BS there too.

-Robert E. Howard

Ahh, now you are jumping to my post in here. Strike me down with all your hatred and your transformation to the whine side will be complete. quik go back to the other post, I commented on your BS there too.

I suggest stop being so defensive. I am not jumping on you or anything. The other topic was locked and rightly so. Negativity for sake of it is not same as valid criticism. And so far i have failed to see any from your side.

Grow a thick skin or stop posting here if you don't want others to reply to you.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383
    Question is, if the TV show gets cancelled in less than a week (I've seen some get cancelled after a single airing), does this mean the game is cancelled too?  I mean it is a marketing tool... either for the show or vice-versa... if one dies a miserable death, does the other die with it?
    Originally posted by pmiles
    Question is, if the TV show gets cancelled in less than a week (I've seen some get cancelled after a single airing), does this mean the game is cancelled too?  I mean it is a marketing tool... either for the show or vice-versa... if one dies a miserable death, does the other die with it?

Trion has already mentioned that Defiance will continue even if the series gets cancelled. 

However, after seeing the first 15 minutes pilot i am sure Defiance series has a bright future. If crap like Fallen Skies s still on air Defiance has nothign to worry.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

I suggest stop being so defensive. I am not jumping on you or anything. The other topic was locked and rightly so. Negativity for sake of it is not same as valid criticism. And so far i have failed to see any from your side.

Grow a thick skin or stop posting here if you don't want others to reply to you.

I'm not being negitive, I just called you out on the conspiracy theory of yours. Everytime somone has somthing bad to say about a game it seems its the job of some elite poster to say he has a negitve agenda or some other BS. Why can't people let others know when they feel a game has flaws without some crazy agenda ? I just made a few posts about a game that in my opinion is crap because I had some time on my hands today and was bored. I apologize if I offended you dudes that live and breathe here. As far as thick skin goes it does not come much thicker than mine sir, it even survived shrapnel in Basra and two rounds in the chest. You guys don't have to take down everyone with an opinion opposite yours just because your safe behind your pc. 

This place kind of reminds me of driving. Someone is a big man in their car, gesturing and honking thier horn, but when I get out of my car  and tap on thier windshild they shit their pants and step on the gas.

-Robert E. Howard

Originally posted by pmiles

Season 2 is already in production, so SyFy has made a pretty firm commitment to the series. The producers were producers on Battlestar Galactica, so the show has some real potential. I do feel success of the show will be key for the game in the long run, but there is no reason the game couldn't keep going on it's own. The show provides a potentially large boost, bust the game still needs to succeed on it's merits and if it does so, it wouldn't take that away from the game.

I'm not being negitive, I just called you out on the conspiracy theory of yours. Everytime somone has somthing bad to say about a game it seems its the job of some elite poster to say he has a negitve agenda or some other BS. Why can't people let others know when they feel a game has flaws without some crazy agenda ? I just made a few posts about a game that in my opinion is crap because I had some time on my hands today and was bored. I apologize if I offended you dudes that live and breathe here. As far as thick skin goes it does not come much thicker than mine sir, it even survived shrapnel in Basra and two rounds in the chest. You guys don't have to take down everyone with an opinion opposite yours just because your safe behind your pc. 

This place kind of reminds me of driving. Someone is a big man in their car, gesturing and honking thier horn, but when I get out of my car  and tap on thier windshild they shit their pants and step on the gas.

Conspiracy theory? you are still overreacting. Saying someone has an agenda against a certain MMO doesn't mean there is some kidn of conspiracy.I don't mind critcism but some people make it a goal of their life to put down a  certain MMO. 

So yeah at that point i or anyone else have the right to call out that person. It is ironic though that you are pointing fingers at us saying 'dudes who live and breathe here' when people like you and the one you are defending spend majority of their time bashing and obsessing with a MMO.

And i have no idea why you are  giving me example of big man in car and tapping on shield and blah blah. Makes no absolute sense unless you are indirectly trying to tell us you are internet bad ass? because i see no one threatning you in any way.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney