Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Guild Wars 2: The Super Adventure Box Revealed

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Guild Wars 2's April Fools' Day content is just about the most ambitious and large-scale joke we've ever seen in an MMO... and it also happens to be the most fun take on the April 1st holiday in recent memory. Read on to learn all about the Super Adventure Box: a terrific jaunt into 8-bit nostalgia with a heap of really awesome rewards to be earned.

For its first annual April Fools' content, the time of year when MMORPGs really let their hair down and stop taking themselves so seriously, ArenaNet has crafted the Super Adventure Box: an invention by an Asura named Moto (as in Miyamoto) which transports players into an 8-bit fantasy world filled with every Zelda/Mario/Metroid-ism you can imagine.  It is, quite simply, the best April Fool's event any company has ever attempted, and it's mostly very successful.

Read on for the rest of Bill Murphy's Guild Wars 2: The Super Adventure Box Revealed.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    LOL awesome! 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

This is funny as hell, and SO amazing! I'm gonna log into GW2 for the first time in a while just for this!

I watched a small bit of the complete playthrough, and I couldn't stop myself from smiling and laughing the whole time.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Best thing they have done since release.
  • byx900627byx900627 Member Posts: 3
    Finally, something would make me log in this game again.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    lol brilliant

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    GW2 is starting to remind me a lot of Asherons Call...every month something new, for free.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    OMG doing this thing now... just INCREDIBLE! :)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Simply awesome!!! LOL

Didn´t see this one coming....

Arenanet has impressed me big time with this!

FUN !

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Anet have always been fantastic with their April Fools 'jokes' (commando reveal for GW2 was always a fave along with its quest line in GW), this takes the biscuit. A whole month of 8bit frustration and fun.

GW2 has never been a game that takes itself too seriously, you only have to listen to some  NPC conversations to get that. This fits fine and dandy, Asura being the perfect vehicle. 

Nice one anet :)

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165
    And just when I was thinking of taking GW2 off my hard drive... Well played Anet, well played.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516
    Just watched the first couple of minutes and yeah, guildwars 2 is getting reinstalled.

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

• SnakeEndSnakeEnd Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Like my horse, this is amazing.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by SnakeEnd
    Like my horse, this is amazing.

Does it taste just like raisins?

Anyway yeah, I love ANet more all the time.  When I first saw it and knew what day it was, I thought for sure this wouldn't be real... but holy crap, they are dedicated to their cause.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Hope I can get enough willpower to play.  I've pretty much lsot all interest in GW2 with so many new games on the horizon.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Interesting little thing.

Kinda makes me wonder what the "dont ruin my immersion" people think about this.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    This is fantastic!

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

I'll give them negative criticism for their handling of WvW, but I'll give them positive comments for great PvE elements like this, well done on this one ArenaNet.

I just finished a run on 'easy mode' and I must say I'm well impressed with the effort that went into making this, it's a shame it's only 4 levels, the last level ends rather suddenly with an NPC asking for continued funding, a rather clever way of asking for more cash from the players to see this further developed, which I hope it does, and not suffer the same faith as Fractals - Forgotten after being added.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Clealy a lot of effort when into it that and look like a blast but it's not worth the reinstall  - some might say their efforts could have been spent else where?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I guess i can see it being fun for some,not my cup of tea the super mario plus lego land look.

I would say for what it is doing,there was some effort put into it,just not my cup o tea.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by expresso
    Clealy a lot of effort when into it that and look like a blast but it's not worth the reinstall  - some might say their efforts could have been spent else where?

Yes, I wish they would put efforts elsewhere. How quick will you be bored of this? I don t know, the more I see the stuff they bring out for this game, the more I think of older MMOs. It just seems so childish. Bash me all you want, it s just how I feel.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    I think it looks amazing. It felt so nostalgic watching this, with the adapted funny tune and old school exagerated happy looking world.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

There is always something awesome in this game. I can't keep up with everything it contains.

Best $60 I have ever spent! Well, except when I was stationed in Korea. o.O

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Originally posted by expresso

Yes, I wish they would put efforts elsewhere. How quick will you be bored of this? I don t know, the more I see the stuff they bring out for this game, the more I think of older MMOs. It just seems so childish. Bash me all you want, it s just how I feel.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I am having a ridiculous amount of fun playing Super Adventure Box, and by my metric, that's all that counts.

So many hidden areas, so many nice touches.

GW2 seems to be the king of releasing 1 month limited content.  Would have thought Halloween and Christmas would be it, but now they turn April Fool's Day into a month long thing.

I think it's their favorite holiday.

Just wish I could play it longer than 1 month, it makes a nice change of pace for when I'm tired of doing other things.  Makes me wonder if they'll have some other big surprise month thing between now and Halloween again.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

can't even have one critical post without someone breaking out a picture meme, with WoW of all things.  sad.

I'd watch the vid, but what's the point of this, I don't really get it.