Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horrible initial experience with the game

MoghidinMoghidin Member UncommonPosts: 96

Well. Can't say much about the game because I simply cannot login.

After downloading the client and clicking login the game is either stuck with "connecting to server", throws out an error "cannot connect to patch server" or is "checking resources" ad nauseum.

I don't know what is the problem - crappy launcher or overloaded dying servers, but seriously, if you are not ready for open beta and your hardware is going to crash from overload - prepare before opening the game for everyone.

If that's the performance at open beta, what will happen at launch when many more players are supposed to join. An hour to login is not acceptable by any standard.

0/10

Comments

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

"After downloading the client and clicking login the game is either stuck with "connecting to server", throws out an error "cannot connect to patch server" or is "checking resources" ad nauseum."

Is Path of Exile running as administrator?

• MoghidinMoghidin Member UncommonPosts: 96

Tried it both ways. Not much of a difference.

I was finally able to login and select a class. Named my character and then again the game was stuck at "contacting server". Tbh, I've never had such issues with any online game. Why authentication which is nothing more than transition of several small packets of data is an unsolvable problem for the game client is beyond me.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I am going with firewall permissions on this one.

Originally posted by thinktank001

I am going with firewall permissions on this one.

Did the same - didn't help. Also firewall doesn't explain why the launcher likes to get stuck on "checking resources" which it does even before attempting to connect. Let's be honest - that's the worst launcher I've ever seen.

And if the authentication times out, why not reset the screen and terminate connection so I could retry and not keep that ridiculous "contacting server" message for eternity? The only way out is to kill client completely, re-launch it and go through all circles of hell with "checking resources" and "Unable to connect to patch server" yet again.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

They have technical support on their forum, did you read this thread?

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Considering this problem I've never heard of before and all, I'm going with it being something on your side causing the problem.  Silly to rate the game due to an issue on your side but meh, thus what happens in most cases where blame is tossed on something when its not its fault.

Do highly suggest the tech support forum for this. You have some funky setting not letting you play for sure, unless you somehow are trying to play when its down for maintenance (which is quite a rare deal so I'm doubting that) though I'm assuming its some local thing at play, whether its a firewall or router, or if your at like a college or something that stupidy blocks serves forcing you to have to request it opened up.

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125

You could try a pack check. Maybe a file is corrupt.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18531

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

reposting this since the OP probably won't read it on support  forums:

Connection issues are usually related to either anti-virus/firewall software or a troublesome ISP/routing to our servers.
    In some instances it is an actual issue with our server or webhost, typically when it is, you'll see a large number of posts/threads on the forums about it.
    At the moment we don't know of any major issues, so it's likely your problems are to do with one of the two causes I've mentioned already.

Oh, I almost forgot, are any of you using a wireless connection at all?
    If you are: stop reading this thread and switch to a wired connection.

If you are not, you'll need to read/do the following:
    Download WinMTR from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/winmtr/files/

Preferably while you're experiencing problems in game, get the server's IP address by opening the folder you installed PoE in and the "logs" subfolder, then open the "Client.txt" file, usually found here, Client.txt.

The file will probably be quite large, but scroll to the bottom and search for the last line containing "Connecting to instance server".

Example:
    2012/03/27 10:33:25 3917590 50 [INFO Client 3768] Connecting to instance server at 127.0.0.1:12345

Instead of 127.0.0.1 it will have a different IP address.

Use the IP you find there in WinMTR in the "Host" box and click start.

Once the "Sent" column shows at least 50, click "Copy Text to clipboard", and paste the results into a reply (you can then just close WinMTR).

I would recommend reading the following posts to help you understand the results and possibly circumvent the problem.
    What is Desync? (A thorough explanation)

Using a VPN to avoid connection issues

TLDR? Use a wired connection. Don't use anti-virus.

Also, just to check everything out I ran the client , connected and played for 5 mins while downloading another file in the background at 5.5MB/s. I realize that this doesn't help you much, but it does make it clear that the problem is not with their servers or the nodes between NYC and their server.

Just trying to help you narrow it down, OP.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Considering this problem I've never heard of before and all, I'm going with it being something on your side causing the problem.  Silly to rate the game due to an issue on your side but meh, thus what happens in most cases where blame is tossed on something when its not its fault.

Do highly suggest the tech support forum for this. You have some funky setting not letting you play for sure, unless you somehow are trying to play when its down for maintenance (which is quite a rare deal so I'm doubting that) though I'm assuming its some local thing at play, whether its a firewall or router, or if your at like a college or something that stupidy blocks serves forcing you to have to request it opened up.

I played World of Tanks, WoW and Eve without any problem. I can also use teamspeak without any problem. It's very unlikely that some setting on my side specifically downs path of Exile while allowing everything else to work fine.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Moghidin
    Originally posted by Purutzil

I played World of Tanks, WoW and Eve without any problem. I can also use teamspeak without any problem. It's very unlikely that some setting on my side specifically downs path of Exile while allowing everything else to work fine.

just because you play OTHER games which use OTHER settings and OTHER servers doesnt mean everything is all fine on your end with PoE. i dont know why people do shit like this. if you're having an issue with the game, why the fuck are you posting on another websites forum. post on the actual game forum. actually look in the tech support forum.

if you see no one else talking about the same issues you're having, its most likely from your end and there's tons of tutorials and shit people tell you to do and usually around the 3rd-5th try you'll have fixed whatever the issue is.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

I agree with the poster above me, but not quite the same level of annoyance. I understand the OP is frustrated, but from the information we have, you have tried little to resolve it and have ignored the advice of others including myself. The problem IS on your end to some degree. The client is working on the vast majority of systems. Almost everyone can connect and play just fine. Either there is a compatability issue with your particular hardware(which would help if you posted) or it is some sort of user error. If your system is in line with their posted specs and you are not using anti-virus and/or wireless then you need to report it to their support so they can address it.

Can you help us help you and help others?

Originally posted by Sephiroso

just because you play OTHER games which use OTHER settings and OTHER servers doesnt mean everything is all fine on your end with PoE. i dont know why people do shit like this. if you're having an issue with the game, why the fuck are you posting on another websites forum. post on the actual game forum. actually look in the tech support forum.

if you see no one else talking about the same issues you're having, its most likely from your end and there's tons of tutorials and shit people tell you to do and usually around the 3rd-5th try you'll have fixed whatever the issue is.

Lol, I suggest you get a clue about networks. It doesn't really matter what specific server I'm accessing unless for some mysterious reason my ISP/Router/Firewall all of a sudden decided to block PoE while letting everything else through. So if there is something that kills the connection - it's on their side.  And I didn't even touch my firewall for any of those games to run, they also don't require admin privileges which for a game is tbh a bit too much to ask.

WoT server is located in the US, Eve server is located in London. Both Europe and US PoE gates have same crappy performance. So, it does look like the problem is on their side.

And I've checked their support forum they are full with threads about constant disconnections and various other launcher and conenction problems.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

>have crappy computer / internet

>can't log into game

>blame game company

my brain

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

I work on a software development team and we have issues with our authentication that are very specific to customer computers. In most cases the issue is on both ends really. We will have customers who cannot authenticate to our registration server and generally they may be a couple dozen people out of tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands. 

Again though, the issue is generally on both ends. The code just isn't handling a very specific configuration that could cause issues and that configuration could be some bad setting on your OS that most other programs do not access or handle. When it is a rare case like this, the only way you are going to get it resolved is contacting their tech support. Otherwise they can't fix something they have no visibility on.

If they work like my company, they could hopefully escalate your issue to a developer. But even then it is if they deam it worth their time to fix. 

Originally posted by huskie77

I agree with the poster above me, but not quite the same level of annoyance. I understand the OP is frustrated, but from the information we have, you have tried little to resolve it and have ignored the advice of others including myself. The problem IS on your end to some degree. The client is working on the vast majority of systems. Almost everyone can connect and play just fine. Either there is a compatability issue with your particular hardware(which would help if you posted) or it is some sort of user error. If your system is in line with their posted specs and you are not using anti-virus and/or wireless then you need to report it to their support so they can address it.

My system is above their specs. Why shouldn't I be using anti-virus while connected to the internet? 

But here are the specs:

AMD A10-5800k APU

16Gb DDR3 RAM

Windows 7 64-bit OS

Norton Antivirus 2013 (disabling it didn't solve enything btw)

What of the above PoE may not like?

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Sephiroso

Lol, I suggest you get a clue about networks. It doesn't really matter what specific server I'm accessing unless for some mysterious reason my ISP/Router/Firewall all of a sudden decided to block PoE while letting everything else through. So if there is something that kills the connection - it's on their side.  And I didn't even touch my firewall for any of those games to run, they also don't require admin privileges which for a game is tbh a bit too much to ask.

WoT server is located in the US, Eve server is located in London. Both Europe and US PoE gates have same crappy performance. So, it does look like the problem is on their side.

And I've checked their support forum they are full with threads about constant disconnections and various other launcher and conenction problems.

well you seem perfectly content with not trying to get your issue fixed in the assurance that it is 100% NOT your computer's fault so have fun not playing a pretty decent and fun arpg.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

My system is above their specs. Why shouldn't I be using anti-virus while connected to the internet? 

But here are the specs:

AMD A10-5800k APU

16Gb DDR3 RAM

Windows 7 64-bit OS

Have you tried uninstalling and installing again?Other than that I would contact support on their site.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

But here are the specs:

AMD A10-5800k APU

16Gb DDR3 RAM

Windows 7 64-bit OS

Thanks for posting this. Two more quick questions. Are you connecting with wireless(silly I know, but they are reporting problems for some people doing this) and second what graphics card(GPU) are you using. Thanks!

EDIT: To answer your question, anti-virus programs often interfere with game client/server connections and Norton is a big offender. Many anti-virus clients have what is known as a "game mode" to attempt to address this well known issue.

But here are the specs:

AMD A10-5800k APU

16Gb DDR3 RAM

Windows 7 64-bit OS

Thanks for posting this. Two more quick questions. Are you connecting with wireless(silly I know, but they are reporting problems for some people doing this) and second what graphics card(GPU) are you using. Thanks!

EDIT: To answer your question, anti-virus programs often interfere with game client/server connections and Norton is a big offender. Many anti-virus clients have what is known as a "game mode" to attempt to address this well known issue.

I do not use wireless. The CPU has an integrated GPU.

Besides that it doesn't look like graphics problem. It looks like some wired launcher/connection problem.

Sometimes also the launcher goes straight to login screen, but sometimes it's stuck on "checking resources" forever. That's besides connection problems.

We are starting to get this narrowed down a bit more.  Can you please update your graphics drivers to the most recent then reboot and retry the game? http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

edit: The game get's stuck on "checking for resources" for a long time for many of us. Sometimes it take 3 minutes and I have a quad core running at 4.5Ghz. It's just poorly optimized

We are starting to get this narrowed down a bit more.  Can you please update your graphics drivers to the most recent then reboot and retry the game? http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

edit: The game get's stuck on "checking for resources" for a long time for many of us. Sometimes it take 3 minutes and I have a quad core running at 4.5Ghz. It's just poorly optimized

And suddenly it started to work. After it passed the dreaded login it all worked fine and ithout lag for an hour untill I logged off. And I didn't change a thing on my side.

Glad it worked out for you! I hope you enjoy the game after all you went through.