Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 years, 2 months and 16 days since I've spent $ on a new MMO

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Is being a parasite really something to be proud of?
  • triton54xtriton54x Member UncommonPosts: 39
    last mmo i bought was gw2 whenever that was
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Six months ago, some stuff in Pocket Legends.  Maybe $10.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

Hi my name is Don and im a mmoholic.

Last time i touched a drop was yesterday. Last time i bought any was 2 days ago...Defiance. Cant wait for Tuesday untill i shoot someone in the ass in pvp.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    7 hours:)

me a little bit more, got Defiance last night. Couldnt wait for a steam sale, seriously...

heh just cancelled my defiance pre-order yesterday.. 

Same glad to see Trion gave me my $ back wihout a hassle - top notch in my book.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Last time I bought a new MMO was 2007. I spend money in MMOs every month. Just not that one I bought in 2007.
  • ArzacaneArzacane Member UncommonPosts: 24

It's been a while for me. EQ2 with the sarnak expansion when it came out, but hopefully this coming month I'll be getting GW2 so I can play with my brothers.

I have to say B2P isn't 'too epensive' as you're getting almost all the benefits of a P2P MMO but not paying the monthly. In the long run you're saving alot of money. $60 for the first year for GW2 as apposed to $80 for WoW (appx going through walmart and getting all expansions) then 155.88 (2 180 day payments for lowered yearly cost) coming to 238.88 for the first year.

Now, please don't think I'm bashing wow. I could have used the monthly payment that would brought the number up higher. I have played WoW and enjoyed it, but as far as the two, I'd currently rather pay $60 and if I don't like it after a few months and decide not to play it, then I've paid less than getting 2 expansions and 2-3 months sub for WoW.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    A new MMO?  GW2 pre-purchase.  Before that it was either Rift or WAR, can't recall... both mistakes either way.
  • meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by XAPKen

Six months ago, some stuff in Pocket Legends.  Maybe $10.

Yup.

This is how different my MMO experience has become. I prefer playing iOS RPG/Multiplayer games and I am having a lot more fun than in any MMO I've tried in the past 2 years.

There have been some benefits:

1. Allowed me to dump Windows completely and become a 100% OSX/iOS household. I'm a lot happier not doing the driver dance every few weeks and I'm certianly happier without Windows Vista, the Crayola edition (Win8).
    2. Stopped getting caught up riding the hype train. My wait-and-see attitude toward MMOs has kept me from feeling disappointed after buying these games.
    3. I still have LOTRO and WoW to play if I want - the only two I can still stomach. They both have native Mac clients (no crappy Cider ports) and run very well. In fact, I won't touch a game that is emulated anymore (Oh, for you Cider/Wine nitpickers...it's an emulator. Stop mincing words). 
    4. I have some really good RPGs for my iPad and iPhone: Ravensword2, Baldur's Gate 2, Celtic Heroes, and Dark Legends. I love being able to play on the train to work or waiting for the dentist, and in the case of BG2, picking up where I left off on my Mac, since it has cloud sync.
    5. The feeling I'm "missing out" because of my choices in OS have gone away. I play what meets my criteria and I don't give a second look to games that fail to meet it.
    I think my MMO days are numbered. The horizon looks pretty bleak through 2014 (Ultima Forever is a slightly lukewarm 'maybe'), filled with snake-oil salesmen (ESO, CU, AA), WoW-wannabe clones (GW2, TSW, Rift), and desperate attempts to keep games alive that should have died a long time ago (AC2, Vanguard).

I will keep an ounce of hope safely tucked away in pocket of course, just in case. image
  • ElectricWizardElectricWizard Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by topographic
    GW2 was the last bottle of snake-oil I purchased.

this... I bought into all the "challenging skill based gameplay" hype... and got the easiest PVE game ever made. omfg its so fucking boring easy. You have to run Fractals to level 30+ in order to find anything challenging.. and all they do is make the mobs hit harder. zzzzz

GW2 is simultaneously the Best Looking and Most Bland and Boring MMO i've ever played. Its pretty much a fluffy-feel-good RNG slotmachine experience. The PVE is so ridiculously easy that you never feel tension or excitement about any fight... youre just pulling the slotmachine arm and wondering what youll get in the loot chest... and the currency bloat.. o m f g. 

so ya.. i paid for gw2 in august, got buyers remorse after 3 months. havent spent a dime since. today's MMOs are just themepark slot machines looking for clever ways to milk you, bait and switch you. I havent seen an actual game I'm interested in devoting any time to... after GW2 snorefest i feel pretty jaded and skeptical about upcoming MMOs so i must just go back to single player RPGs. unless Camelot Unchained or ESO turns out to be interesting.

• ClaumClaum Member Posts: 63

3 years ago i buyed Aion and now i wasted my money on D3 than omg on Gw2 because it had no trial and GW2 was so booring i played it 2 days than i Uninstalled it lolz.

Actually I liked WoW, Lineage 2  annd Aion

I can still mention Warhammer online and Tabula Rasa every other MMO failed big time I would not even try to mention them. I started MMO playing with Lineage 2.

Actualyy there is no mmo i nthe future that would interest me maybe Blade & Soul i would try out looks like aion without anoying flying.

• ClaumClaum Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by ElectricWizard
    Originally posted by topographic
    GW2 was the last bottle of snake-oil I purchased.
    Hahaha yeah same here , Gw2 just proved to me that all MMOS are scam now. When i think that i gave my money on gw2 and D3 i start vomiting i really would want my money back such disgusting games.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

TSW when it went B2P in December.

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

I went back to EvE for 3 months a little over a year ago, one free month, one payed month and one bought with ingame currency. Before that WoW Cataclysm, WAR and AoC were the last times I spent money on MMO's.

EvE is the only MMO I would consider spending money on currently but it will take something like a new server and/or removal of the PLEX system to make me start playing.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Foncl

EvE is the only MMO I would consider spending money on currently but it will take something like a new server and/or removal of the PLEX system to make me start playing.

Considering the first will never happen and the second would leave me without a means to play it ( shockingly a guy saving up for a Master's in Plasma Physics doesn't have the assets to pay monthly but does have a computer built in the last half decade) I can only say one thing: Can I has your stuff? ^-^

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I pay for my entertaintment. Being proud of being able to play for free and to not contribute to the service thay you use for extended time (at times) that costs money to develop is the worst case of the sickness and  I call it "parasite infestation".

F2P is the biggest problem MMOs are facing... enjoy the declining quality of games and tons of microtransactions which F2P madness is bringing with it. And don't complain about it :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ElectricWizardElectricWizard Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I pay for my entertaintment. Being proud of being able to play for free and to not contribute to the service thay you use for extended time (at times) that costs money to develop is the worst case of the sickness and  I call it "parasite infestation".

F2P is the biggest problem MMOs are facing... enjoy the declining quality of games and tons of microtransactions which F2P madness is bringing with it. And don't complain about it :)

its proven over and over that F2P makes game companies more money.. so the only problem here - is your logic.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

its proven over and over that F2P makes game companies more money.. so the only problem here - is your logic.

Businesses can take care of themselves.  The question is what is the person spending nothing doing to benefit or thank those who *are* paying the bills.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by maplestone

Businesses can take care of themselves.  The question is what is the person spending nothing doing to benefit or thank those who *are* paying the bills.
    Why, their mere presence online is payment enough, didn't you know? If it weren't for the free loaders, ALL F2P games would fail! According to them, anyway :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    About 7 months since I got GW2, before that about a year and a half (give or take half a year) before I could no longer put up with blatant P2W called Allods Online and refused to spend another dime there. I do however intend to spend more on GW2 relatively soon, not because I feel forced to do so in any way, but because I want to support the game.

imageimage
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by maplestone

Just being there, grinding, living in the game, doing the things paying customers don't want to do. Keeping the balance between paying and free players is the biggest challenge for any F2P game. Hamper free players too much and they'll leave too fast and you'll end up with a dead game nobody wants to play. Give paying players the impression they're not getting enough advantage and there goes your revenue as well.

imageimage
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by xKopogerox

That's how long it's been since anything new could appeal to me and counting...

My MMORPG experience goes back to 2001. I'm playing a free to play MMO to kill the time (not because it's free, but because for me it's the best possible option).

So, how long it's been since you've spent $ on a new MMO? :)

Roughly 5 hours. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    I pay for my entertaintment. Being proud of being able to play for free and to not contribute to the service thay you use for extended time (at times) that costs money to develop is the worst case of the sickness and  I call it "parasite infestation".F2P is the biggest problem MMOs are facing... enjoy the declining quality of games and tons of microtransactions which F2P madness is bringing with it. And don't complain about it :)  

Yep, F2P is simply the industry's sad attempt to trick you into paying more than you would consider acceptable, one dime at a time.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• EdgesEdges Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by xKopogerox

That's how long it's been since anything new could appeal to me and counting...

My MMORPG experience goes back to 2001. I'm playing a free to play MMO to kill the time (not because it's free, but because for me it's the best possible option).

So, how long it's been since you've spent $ on a new MMO? :)

Does RMT count? ;)

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Re-subbed to SWTOR on Sunday, so a couple of days.