Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance is coming out in a few days. General consensus on it?

Comments

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Amegashie

It's not really a bad game, riding on a quad bike through the post apocalyptic wasteland and blowing mutant brains out with a large variety of weapons is fun. For a while.

Unfortunately, we've already played Borderlands. :shrug:

Doesn't sound like the longterm solution.

And thats the Point, Borderlands is missing that MMO feature which is somewhat awesome in Defiance. The Arkfalls and fighting together is just very nice. That Item Hunt, all the events like racing and whatnot makes a lot of Fun. And with some friends, Clan / Guild, it makes even more fun. Also the B2P System is nice.

When the DLC's hit the Live Server's it is handled the way that you, when you have NOT payed them, can still play them, but you are not able to use the Items. That makes you still participating in Content with your Friends.

But as every MMOFPS/RPG/whatnot is a matter of taste, some will like it, some others not.

*Edit* Not to forget the Sandbox System with the Skills. It is confirmed that you have up to 5000 Ego Points, makes you "can" have all Skills ingame, forging your Playstyle by your own. Alone for this.....it is worth thinking about.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Don't like Shooters, don't like SciFi games (will def watch the show though it looks awesome, the game not so much) and I def detest linear gameplay.

3 strikes you're out Defiance.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    It doubtt it will rock the MMO world, but it will provide me with 25 quids worth of fun. It certainly beats killing and gathering 100 squirrel nuts in disneyland.
  • AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by cm01
    Originally posted by Rzep
    Originally posted by zethcarn
    I had posted this in the general forums but some mod thought it belonged in the Defiance forums.  I wanted to know what the general MMO population thought of it not just Defiance fans.  Oh well.

To get a general opinion of what mmo gamers think of a game, take what most of mmorpg.com forum posters think, reverse it and there you have it. The rule is, the more hated and trolled the game is on these forums, the more popular it is/will be.

By that logic GW2 and SWTOR should have been mega successes.

GW2 pretty much is and other than a few trolls these forums predicted as much.

There were plenty of posters, including me, calling SWToR a decent single player RPG with some lacking MMO elements tacked on though, which turned out to be pretty accurate.

That's mmorpg.com forums 2:0 viral marketers.

PS: 25 quids ? Where ? At that price I just might grab a copy.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    I had posted this in the general forums but some mod thought it belonged in the Defiance forums.  I wanted to know what the general MMO population thought of it not just Defiance fans.  Oh well.

To get a general opinion of what mmo gamers think of a game, take what most of mmorpg.com forum posters think, reverse it and there you have it. The rule is, the more hated and trolled the game is on these forums, the more popular it is/will be.

GW2 pretty much is.

There were plenty of posters, including me, calling SWToR a decent single player RPG with some lacking MMO elements tacked on though, which turned out to be pretty accurate.

Amazon uk, i was a quid out, it was 26, well 28 for me as i went for delivery on the day of release...

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Nothing I have seen has interested me in the title so I won't be. Have nothing against the game and I like Trion but I'm just indifferent towards this title.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I saw the digital download SE for as cheap as 24,99Eur today, in stock. This is getting interesting already...

I'm not a big fan of the game with it's tons of flaws, but i said that i would buy it once it drops below the 10Eur mark. I expected this to happen in about 4+ month.. may happen even sooner.

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by SysFail

GW2 pretty much is.

Amazon uk, i was a quid out, it was 26, well 28 for me as i went for delivery on the day of release...

Thanks.

That's about 31 Euros, still a pretty good deal.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

It's not really a bad game, riding on a quad bike through the post apocalyptic wasteland and blowing mutant brains out with a large variety of weapons is fun. For a while.

Or Borderlands 2.  Well now I know what to spend that 60 bucks on... thanks for the reminder.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Borderlands didn't have arkfalls (dynamic events) and that is the main reason why i would play defiance. For more single player experince borderlands is good fun.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Borderlands didn't have arkfalls (dynamic events) and that is the main reason why i would play defiance. For more single player experince borderlands is good fun.

Quite honestly, playing Borderlands 1/2 with three friends was way more of a multi-player experience than anything I've done in my time (both Alpha and Beta) playing Defiance. Even during arkfalls (I'd really like to know how those qualify as 'dynamic', to be honest) with dozens and dozens of people around, I may as well be playing with NPCs -- mostly, really ineffectual NPCs -- for all it matters. Tactics, teamwork, and communicaiton are simply non-existent, both by (bad UI) design and lack of (any) necessity.

And at least in Borderlands there's a bank.

And towns.

Even mailboxes.

Granted, you can't send or recieve mail, but at least the concept of mail exists.

I wish Defiance well, I really do, it's a ton of fun -- at least for a little while. But honestly I fear it's going to tank, and tank hard once people get through the early areas and that 'ton of fun' glow wears off. From the horrid UI, to the essentially broken and unusable chat (both text and VoIP), to the utter lack of MMO features (yeah, I know, they're not calling it an MMO for a reason), to the iffy engine (draw-distance seems fine early on, but, trust me, later when you get to more open areas it's downright painful), to the brain dead AI, to the apparent standard-for-Trion content-lite-at-launch nature of the game... There are way too many things screaming "Danger, Will Robinson, DANGER!".

Oh, and the horizontal progression system. I know some, even many, will like that, but anyone expecting a Borderlands-like experience on that front -- and, given the nature of the two games, comparisons are inevitable -- is in for a rude shock.

But of all of this, what worries me most is the game is going to either launch in a horribly broken state (which, frankly, I don't believe for one second), or it's going to launch on three platforms with game versions radically different from what anyone has seen or tested outside of Trion HQ.

Neither option is, frankly, very pretty.

Interesting times, indeed.

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

A decent game, most likely worth the money (at least when compared to single player games around the same price point). The graphics are great, the story is above average, the gameplay is about average, the UI is below average from a PC perspective, but above average from a console one. 

You also are going to have a sweet TV show tie-in and guaranteed new content that'll last you until the next big, hyped up game comes around. In short, keep your expectations reasonable and I think you'll be satisfied. 

Lots of folks are mad that it's not as "social-friendly" as a traditional MMO usually tends to be, but when you factor in that it's first an FPS game and an MMO second, it's not bad.

I was impressed with the customization, the voice acting, and the scope of the world. I'll probably play it just to do the episode missions that I'll see in the show, but if you're expecting this to be the end-all PvP-oriented MMOFPS monster with open-world conquests like planetside 2, maybe give this one a pass.

• cm01cm01 Member Posts: 47

Arkfalls are just like Rifts in Rift. You get bored of them in no time.

Add in the fact that there's very little item progression and you have a recipe for failiure.

Originally posted by Myria

Quite honestly, playing Borderlands 1/2 with three friends was way more of a multi-player experience than anything I've done in my time (both Alpha and Beta) playing Defiance. Even during arkfalls (I'd really like to know how those qualify as 'dynamic', to be honest) with dozens and dozens of people around, I may as well be playing with NPCs -- mostly, really ineffectual NPCs -- for all it matters. Tactics, teamwork, and communicaiton are simply non-existent, both by (bad UI) design and lack of (any) necessity.

And at least in Borderlands there's a bank.

And towns.

Even mailboxes.

Granted, you can't send or recieve mail, but at least the concept of mail exists.

I wish Defiance well, I really do, it's a ton of fun -- at least for a little while. But honestly I fear it's going to tank, and tank hard once people get through the early areas and that 'ton of fun' glow wears off. From the horrid UI, to the essentially broken and unusable chat (both text and VoIP), to the utter lack of MMO features (yeah, I know, they're not calling it an MMO for a reason), to the iffy engine (draw-distance seems fine early on, but, trust me, later when you get to more open areas it's downright painful), to the brain dead AI, to the apparent standard-for-Trion content-lite-at-launch nature of the game... There are way too many things screaming "Danger, Will Robinson, DANGER!".

Oh, and the horizontal progression system. I know some, even many, will like that, but anyone expecting a Borderlands-like experience on that front -- and, given the nature of the two games, comparisons are inevitable -- is in for a rude shock.

But of all of this, what worries me most is the game is going to either launch in a horribly broken state (which, frankly, I don't believe for one second), or it's going to launch on three platforms with game versions radically different from what anyone has seen or tested outside of Trion HQ.

Neither option is, frankly, very pretty.

Interesting times, indeed.

I appreciate your honesty but my experince has been completely different than yours. For me playing arkfalls was the highlight of the game and sealed the deal for me. As far as how it is dynamic or not is a discussion for another topic.

But given the size of the map and arkfalls ranges in difficulities, i also completedsome with only 3 players around. So at some places you might get a big zerg while at others you would get just 2 or maybe 4 players if you are lucky.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Add in the fact that there's very little item progression and you have a recipe for failiure.

I didn't get bored of them at all and i played the beejeesus out of the beta. But i am glad you could speak on my behalf.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• TehTicTehTic Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I definitely cannot see myself playing this game. As that menus originally designed for consul  and absolutely horrible for PC, terrible counter play, combat feels quite sluggish, bullet spread terrible at everything but set close range. Though it does have a robust PVE  content  I just did not enjoy the game with the earlier mentioned issues. I believe it needed more time to cook.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

it has a similar item progression that what you find in some shooters. People still think Defiance is an mmorpg like WoW? its a shooter. I personally dont need WoW's gear threadmill "progression" in Defiance. Trion can keep those within Rift.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    If the controls are not PC friendly and I would need a gamepad to play then forget it...not interested although I did like Rift for a bit and would like to support Trion.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    $60.00 . . . Nah.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    No real open world pvp...nope

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by kitarad
    If the controls are not PC friendly and I would need a gamepad to play then forget it...not interested although I did like Rift for a bit and would like to support Trion.

ive seen a lot (actually not a lot, but yeah some) of people saying this about the UI. I do play with gamepad but i did try it a couple times with mouse and keyboard and the UI was a lot easier with mouse than it is with gamepad. At least for me, but I stick to gamepad in every game that has the mouse attached to a reticle.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by SirBalin

Well now that arguably eliminates every title, period.

One of those Holy Grails that no one ever gets right—yet every gamer insists is simple.

(This is your Fan Trumpet, boys, the rally call to step forth and insist that [GameX] was the one and only title to ever do it "real".)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by SirBalin

The game's primary focus is pve so of course nope. You want a shooter OWPvP? Play PS2

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• ironniusironnius Member UncommonPosts: 13

I'll be playing, got the Ultimate Edition.

Do I think it will be wtf amazing? Not really, I played the first closed beta and it was alright. It seemed fun, I'm sick of GW2 and have played every AAA title and many of the F2P MMO's out there, nothing is scratching the itch but I figured if Defiance keepes me amused for 3 to 4 months, then I got my moneys worth. At the end of the day it's gonna probably last me longer than any single player title would.

I'm approaching the game as more of an online co-op shooter than an MMO. Will it have the longevity of WoW or EQ etc, almost certainly not. But it should be fun for a while.

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380
    I'm not much for shooters but the ten mins I played of this game was pretty fun.  I'll get it eventually simply to have another MMO on the PS3 I can play, but whether or not I fall in love with the game is something I'll have to wait and find out.