Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old Daoc player - Rift PvP?

RaciexRaciex Member Posts: 22

I played daoc between 2001-2005, and have since had a hard time to fill up the void. I starting playing a bit again in 2011, which was surprisingly fun!

I played GW2 on release, but the game world feels too linear and empty, and the pvp was in my taste lacking. I think I like traditional character progression better.

So I've started looking at Rift, and so far I love the feel of the game and the world. 

I think Daoc hit a perfect balance between PvE and RvR, for me, where PvE created an attachment to my realm, my realm mates and my character.

After hitting 50, I didn't do much PvE at all; all my focus was ser towards RvR.

So I'm currently only level 10 in Rift, but I have a few questions of what to expect:

* Is the open world pvp active? Is it anything like daocs RvR in terms of "feel", for those of you who played daoc?

* I play an assassin for perma stealth (since I usually solo due to time limit I prefer stealth classes in most games). Will it be viable to solo such a toon to 60?

* Is the pvp enough end game to keep you occupied, or does it get boring quickly?

Comments

• VymmVymm Member Posts: 112

I returned recently as well ... I can say this.  I used to PVE exclusively in Rift.  Now I only PVP.  Let me explain why.

Positives:

- Ease of joining warfronts

- Leveling Planar Attunement (PA) through PVP

- Real bonuses to leveling PA up in all trees

- Level up PVP ranks to unlock more PVP gear

Negatives:

- No real world pvp to speak of from what I can gather

- Lag can be an issue at times

- Class balance, but overall not horrible

- No real end game reason to PVP -- Doesn't help with PVE, No Tournaments, Ranks or Ladders.

So it all depends why you are PVPing.  You want to log in and feel like the game mechanics support a decent pvp system and there are some good matches to be had?  Play Rift.  You want to feel like you are an old school king of the realm making a difference in PVP like DAOC?  Look somewhere else.

I personally miss the games which balanced PVE/PVP - DAOC and EQ1.  Those days seem to be long dead and never coming back.

Vymm

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Last time I played rift only had one pvp server and it seemed low pop ( this was for NA).  They changed it so the two factions could group together and be in the same guild. so everyone moved to the pve servers. 
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

Rift and DAOC are not even comparable for pvp and i played daoc from 2000 until 2005 also then warhammer online. DAOC had points to doing pvp , rift has none other than gear sets. WOW and Rift pvp share almost 100% in common , its unskilled gear based mess. There is conquest at end game for max level players where its three faction pvp but its nothing like DAOC or even on the same level as warhammer , its just zerge and ninja cap objectives until a team reaches max points and then wins and you have to wait for it to reset and start again later on in the day.

The only game that I can even remotely think of close to DAOC style of realm vs realm is guild wars 2 and its still not perfect by any means to it. But you can world vs world and earn gear (exotics) through doing world vs world. But guild wars 2 is all about siege weapons and running circles around the map capping objectives or defending keeps or taking them. There were relics in the game called orbs of power but people found ways to exploit them so they removed them. But you can do pve or wvw in GW2 to earn your gear but it will take a bit longer in wvw.

Honestly if you want something a lot closer to DAOC GW2 is about it or a free to play small game called  regnum online. The next game that might be closer to DAOC is TESO releasing at the end of the year though beta signups are on their site now and they should be starting up soon for beta weekends. Rift pvp again is just warfronts , conquest, and its all about grinding gear and getting run over by players whom are already geared. Prestiege ranks you earn in their pvp are just basically so you can buy stronger gear.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

You will have a hard time filling that void left by DAoC.  I played for the first 5 years of the game and have never found the right balance of PVP and PVE that DAoC had. 

Rift offers the same PVP that almost every single themepark MMO out there has, which is instanced warfronts and some world PVP.  There is also Conquest, which is like a high level warfront that is slightly more like RVR, but still not quite.  The awesome part of Rift is how flexible the classes are.  You can switch back and forth between multiple specs as you see fit and you don't have to switch all of your gear like in WoW.  I will regularly hop between stealth-assassin and tank on my rogue or healer and DPS on my cleric.  It is really the most awesome system out there.  Almost any class can be tank, healer, DPS, or some combination of the three, such as support.

As for world PVP there is some, such as running into enemy players while questing, or they will sometimes try to take over and area and hunt players, but nothing is a complete replacement for RVR.

I have said this before, but while nothing can quite replace DAoC, Rift is the best example of the themepark MMO out there right now.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• RaciexRaciex Member Posts: 22

Thanks for the replies!

I started playing Rift after my post and got to around 43ish. Taking a break, but I like the game mechanics so will probably resub and continue when I'm done with a few Xbox games I'm working on atm ;)

It is the closest I've gotten to a daoc feel in a long time. I tried GW2 but got pretty bored of it after 2 weeks for whatever reason. Might give it a shot in the future, but I like more character progression than GW2 has to offer, so it might not be for me!

For you DAOC followers, keep an eye open for when the Kickstarter for Camelot Unchained starts, which is basically Marc Jacobs new team making the unofficial daoc 2.

Also, I've been playing Daoc som the past 6-12 months. It's still amazing, and the battlegrounds are still great fun! Pop is decent; much better than I expected it to be tbh. Check it out some time!

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314
    The PvP is horrible at 50. 

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• VymmVymm Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by Raciex

Thanks for the replies!

I started playing Rift after my post and got to around 43ish. Taking a break, but I like the game mechanics so will probably resub and continue when I'm done with a few Xbox games I'm working on atm ;)

It is the closest I've gotten to a daoc feel in a long time. I tried GW2 but got pretty bored of it after 2 weeks for whatever reason. Might give it a shot in the future, but I like more character progression than GW2 has to offer, so it might not be for me!

For you DAOC followers, keep an eye open for when the Kickstarter for Camelot Unchained starts, which is basically Marc Jacobs new team making the unofficial daoc 2.

Also, I've been playing Daoc som the past 6-12 months. It's still amazing, and the battlegrounds are still great fun! Pop is decent; much better than I expected it to be tbh. Check it out some time!

Come play DAOC with some of the CU backers. 

Vymm

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

i don't get it, you think GW2's world is linear, and then you go and play rift? :>

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"