Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: The PAX East 2013 Awards

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

"Best of the show Nominees – WildStar, Marvel Heroes Online, FireFall, NeverWinter, Elder Scrolls Online"

Guess that explains how TESO won...best of the meh!

BTW Arcone...Innovative is innovative. Doing something that hasnt been done in years is rehashing old ideas.

Its like saying you invented the lightbulb, because no one else invented it again in the last 100 years...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Arcona
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Most innovative? hmm

Wildstar seems to take on classic MMORPG features

while ESO does 4 player groups, no raids, build your class however you like, 3 sided Realm vs realm, one giant server, and finally makes a good AI. This time the NPCs will really work together. Not just the scripted ones.

What innovations did wildstar do?

Most, if not all, of the things you listed from ESO aren't innovations.  I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

okay, if one mmorpg did them 15 years ago, its not innovative, even though the 5000 mmorpgs that came after did not do them?

Innovative is innovative, taking something that was done a long time ago is REHASHING OLD IDEAS.

If someone made a new car with a hand crank start, would they call that innovative? No...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by Mannish

What about Black Desert Online? It looks better then any of those games listed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2DCNJx_0aQ

That my friend, is the 100 million dollar question.

Also:

what about World of Darkness?

what about ArcheAge?

Did those games go to pax?  If not, what do they have to hide that they don't want people to see at pax?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Dayz and Warz can just disappear into nothingness for all I care anyore..

But indeed Marvel Heroes is surprisingly fun and addictive even though it's nothing like you would probably expect out of a 'super hero game".

A lot of the other ones are still a coin flip really. 

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Most innovative? hmm

while ESO does 4 player groups, no raids, build your class however you like, 3 sided Realm vs realm, one giant server, and finally makes a good AI. This time the NPCs will really work together. Not just the scripted ones.

Anarchy Online ,one gigantic server,  3 sided realm, neuts vs omnis vs clans,PvP allmost everywhere real world pvp,stupid instance pvp added later and many PvPrs left the game.

not so sure about those ESO  *innovations*

Let's internet

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by Abefroman
    [mod edit]

uh and out of the competition listed, you would have picked .....?

Definitely Wildstar

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

TESO is a maybe, DayZ is an aquired taste...

Other than that.. looks like a whole load of rubbish to me.

Neverwinter destroyed my dreams (thankfully I didn't have to pay for it). Marvel Heroes is just.. kinda.. pointless. Many, and mean MANY, people are going to be very let down by MH. Wildstar looks like a clone and will be treated as one (by me) until it proves otherwise.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Know what this really reminds me of? T-ball for 6-year olds where everyone gets a trophy. Is there any MMO being released this year that did not get an award? All it is, is marketing in another form. "Most Anticipated"? "Most Innovative"? What a crock... all this will do is fuel another round of advertisements for the same old "meh" games that developers are shoveling these days.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

while ESO does 4 player groups,

1.  SWTOR did this already

2.  It is viewed by most as a negative.  groups should be 6+, with 5 barely tolerable, not 4.  Only time a group smaller than 5 is acceptable is if the main group size is bigger and you are just giving a few smaller options for a change of pace.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    I really can't understand the hype marvel heroes is getting on this site.  It isn't even an MMO.
  • NotoriousXNotoriousX Member UncommonPosts: 197
    Originally posted by toljar
    I'm shocked at the DayZ, with all the negative that game gets from screwing fans over to just not being a great developer. None the less, I hope they do succeed and what they are setting out to do.

I think you are thinking of The War Z

hahaha as soon as i started reading your comment i cracked lauching hahha good one :)

Tormented echoes of a fallen Eden
    I longed for her beauty
    Yet from dust, she returned
    The dream, an enigma.... silent

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Most innovative? hmm

Most, if not all, of the things you listed from ESO aren't innovations.  I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

okay, if one mmorpg did them 15 years ago, its not innovative, even though the 5000 mmorpgs that came after did not do them?

Innovative is innovative, taking something that was done a long time ago is REHASHING OLD IDEAS.

If someone made a new car with a hand crank start, would they call that innovative? No...

But starting your car with voice activation would be right? Even though you're still just starting a car...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Most innovative? hmm

One MMORPG?  15 years ago?  Uhhh....... again I ask, what innovations are you talking about that makes TESO so special and Wildstar so unspecial?  Or any other MMO for that matter in comparison to TESO?

4 player groups?  Hey, here's an idea... don't add a 5th person to your group.  Oh, and SWTOR's flashpoints were 4-man.

No raids?  I'm not even going to bother listing all of the MMOs that already do this.

3 side realm vs. realm?  Did DAOC come out 15 years ago?  No, not really.  And then there's Guild Wars 2.

One giant server?  Yeah, that's all instanced and phased, thus separating you into channels anyway....

As for the AI, I think someone else mentioned it, but it bears repeating since you and a friend of mine among others, are so excited over something they have not seen in action.  "Good" is relative on top of that.  How many games since Goldeneye for the N64 have touted "game-changing AI", including MMO's? 

Build your class however you like?  That's the only one I've seen that's even close to being more than just your own personal hype train, and I admit it's the one thing on your list I'm actually excited about. 

And to answer your question...... um... yeah, if one game does it and another does it after, it's still not innovative.  I think you should look up the word and generally not get overhyped.  It'll be less painful if the game isn't good.

• urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I played Elder Scrolls at PAX East. Kinda really.. meh. The combat is still hotbar centric, with a lot of "wack at each other, until someone dies". Yes you can click to attack instead of auto attack, but thats it. It has none of the Skyrim dynamic combat everyone is thinking it will.
  • JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Neverwinter most anticipated?  I'd rather "anticipate" a kidney stone.
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

After my play through on beta 3 for Neverwinter I can say it has me wanting more. It is NOT a true D&D game, but what it does do it does well and I enjoyed myself during beta. All though there is much negative for TESO I am still looking forward to actually playing it whenever beta gets around to letting me in :P. I too was hoping to hear more about ArchAge, but maybe they didn't go to this one. Also with Rift looming in the unknown for West users and the East failures maybe Trion isn't the best choice to publish this game in the West. I was glad to see no Defiance mention... played the beta....deleted the game all in one day and now they haven't released yet and they are marketing a DLC package, LOL (can you say greeding the hype and milking the cow).

All in all I am not overly excited for many games coming out, but it would be nice to have a game that really draws me in and keeps me for longer than a few months.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    How are games like Dayz considered hybrid MMOs, when they're more like real MMORPGs than games like Elderscrolls Online and other instanced BS?
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

"The fact that it was such a strong combination of Skyrim-styled combat..."

This quote dumbfounds me. I've not known anyone who enjoyed the combat of Skyrim. Everyone has said that combat was its weakest feature. And if you've ever watched someone playing Skyrim with any kind of melee weapon, you will be bored to tears.

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Originally posted by VastoHorde

What about Black Desert Online? It looks better then any of those games listed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2DCNJx_0aQ

woaahh (Not @ pax) but this looks pretty exellent, looks like a new graphic engine. There looking for a wesern pulisher now i guess.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by goozmania

This quote dumbfounds me. I've not known anyone who enjoyed the combat of Skyrim. Everyone has said that combat was its weakest feature. And if you've ever watched someone playing Skyrim with any kind of melee weapon, you will be bored to tears.

I thought I was alone!

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by goozmania

I thought I was alone!

Couldnt agree more, the combat was so boring.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I want news on BnS, the outlander, repopulation, archeage, cabal 2
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by VastoHorde
    Also what about Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn?

Well it si PAX EAST AWARDS not open gaming in general.MMORPG already told us the ywere dissappointed in Square's showing at PAx,not that i am surprised,they are big in Japan,not here in N.America.

IMO and i am never afraid to speak my mind becuase i don't kiss ass not make shit up but....

I think Elder Scrolls was a good choice for best of show,imo it is the best game of all of those mentioned.

The other categories , i also don't have a huge problem with.

I do kind of find it tough to say Neverwinter is most anticipated,i get around to alot of sites and i would say this  is not so.However,i myself need to remember this is based ONLY on PAx,so we should all accept thier opinions as i do accept them.

If i were to base opinion just on my opinion,i woudl say no doubt FFXIV blows the doors of of every one of those games excpet maybe Elder Scrolls.We still don't know enough abotu Elder yet to give it a faIr opinion.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by quickthorn
    Neverwinter was considered best in show last year, and most anticipated now?  That makes me quite worried for this year's best, TESO.  I've been playing the Neverwinter betas.  DnD choices at present are extremely limited.  It's not an awful game, but it's very linear for a mmo, grouping is badly managed (not preserving instances upon area transition) the score is meh, outdoor graphics are nothing special and there are too many of the tired old 'kill x mobs/fetch x items' quests.  It's passable for a f2p, but then there are a lot of very poor f2p games around.

I'm sure there's something you see, which you do not like. Like I don't like the sub-standard character textures, BUT:

I'm willing to see it over, as this game truly has the best action combat that I have seen in a mmo bar none. Add to that the fun raids, dungeon-crawler quest feel, the atmosphere added by the environment, and the promise of user-created content is good.

Sure they can do one or two things, and I don't think there'll be loads of replayability, but this is a nice action packed, not mind-numbingly boring combat system game, and I'll play it for the pve . Atm pvp seems a bit unbalanced, or I'm willing to concede that I maybe just suck at it badly. XD

Not to mention Physics, where you interact with a barrel for instance, it's a nice touch to sortof  draw you into the world.

• LidelnLideln Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by grimfall

The Repopulation was at Pax...

Wildstar does have a lot of innovation... showing a picture of "Hey, let's redo the World of Warcraft Barrens Zone" probably wasn't the best idea of showing the game's innovation.

Couldn't agree more...

Dying for Day Z and TESO btw!