Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

WildStar is going to be a big hit!

1235»

Comments

• EhnoahEhnoah DresdenPosts: 25Member
    You guys think Beta start next week? :>
  • WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,593Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    Originally posted by coretex666

First off, I do not think ArcheAge will be that popular.

I think that despite the fact that disgruntled older MMORPG fans on this forum (including me) keep asking for virtual worlds, sandboxes, etc, masses still want games like Rift, GW 2, Tera,...

It is possible that Wildstar will have its fans, so that it survives in the market. However, I do not think it will be that popular either as it is too similar to WoW. I, personally, would not leave WoW for a game this similar to it. Its housing may be nice, but how important is housing in a themepark game.

Maybe I am wrong and it will be blast, but I do not believe it at this point.

Think you really need to watch some of the vids about housing cause they are very important.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyh4x6_wildstar-housing-devspeak_videogames (00:52)

Thanks! That looks like a great deal of fun.

• MMObroMMObro Oviedo, FLPosts: 65Member
    I agree...I will try this....TESO: ehhh
  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Originally posted by koljane
    I call Wildstar, World of Warcraft V2.0 and that is a good thing.

I kind of agree with this.  Forumers are a very negative bunch usually, but who cares?  Games aren't just marketed to them (us).  If the game is fun, most people probably aren't going to say "cartoons?  Lame?" and toss it aside.  If they did, WoW wouldn't be popular.  For that matter, other genres would suffer too.  The Borderlands universe is pretty cartoony.

Everything doesn't need to be Call of Duty or Skyrim to be a success.  There's room for all kinds.

• PreparedPrepared Irvine, CAPosts: 95Member Common
    Originally posted by funcon
    I have a feeling, this game is really gonna be big. Bigger than Rift and GW2. And will be bigger than Elder Scrolls Online. It will challenge ArcheAge for the 2nd biggest MMORPG behind WoW.

I agree with this in the long run.  Elder Scrolls Online will have a huge number of players at the start and may even break records in sales as far as numbers sold within the first few weeks or months.  But my feeling is that it will fall in numbers rapidly afterwards in a similar fashion that Guild Wars 2 did after launch.  The game play discussion along with how the combat works in ESO turns off a lot of players because it's locked the player into a specific style of targeting enemies which many don't like.

Looking at game play videos and information on the web about this game, it appears to have the making of a great MMO.  It really will come down to game play and how many different types of things a player can do in the game both during leveling and after reaching max level.  For example, collecting mounts/companions is a great way that players can continue to get achievements if it exists in the game.  For the MMOs that don't have mounts or pets, that's one less thing players can do.

Once word gets out as to how this game plays, I believe it will become very big.  I'm hoping the game is open to different play styles, not locked into a specific one like Tera, Guild Wars 2 or what Elder Scrolls Online appears to be going towards.

The other interesting comment made here was that Blizzard never mentioned any work being done on World of Starcraft and this game appears to give the player the option of a space type of MMO that kind of has the WoW cartoon look to it.

• azzamasinazzamasin Butler, OHPosts: 3,058Member Uncommon
    I have a feeling, this game is really gonna be big. Bigger than Rift and GW2. And will be bigger than Elder Scrolls Online. It will challenge ArcheAge for the 2nd biggest MMORPG behind WoW.

While I think the game has potential to be a sleeper hit I do not think it will rival GW2 let alone ESO which is going to be mega huge, at least in the begining.  I also think you greatly exagerate the potential of AA.  I personally think AA will be a massie failure in the west like all Asian MMO's ahve been.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• PreparedPrepared Irvine, CAPosts: 95Member Common
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Elder Scrolls Online has the IP going for it, all sorts of people know about it compared to WildStar. Although I'm looking forward to W* myself, I think it needs to gain some momentum in the marketing field to get decent initial sales.

That didn't help SWTOR at all. A crappy mmo is a crappy mmo.

This is a 100% true statement!  Which is why WoW is not great because of the name Blizzard and Warcraft nor is it because of timing of the Internet speed boom.  WoW dwarfs the entire MMO genre of games in terms of players that play it versus the other MMOs out there because it's a good game with many ways to play it.  It doesn't lock the player into playing a specific way that newer game makers tend to think has to be there.

• ReklawReklaw Am.Posts: 6,478Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    Originally posted by coretex666

First off, I do not think ArcheAge will be that popular.

I think that despite the fact that disgruntled older MMORPG fans on this forum (including me) keep asking for virtual worlds, sandboxes, etc, masses still want games like Rift, GW 2, Tera,...

It is possible that Wildstar will have its fans, so that it survives in the market. However, I do not think it will be that popular either as it is too similar to WoW. I, personally, would not leave WoW for a game this similar to it. Its housing may be nice, but how important is housing in a themepark game.

Maybe I am wrong and it will be blast, but I do not believe it at this point.

Think you really need to watch some of the vids about housing cause they are very important.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyh4x6_wildstar-housing-devspeak_videogames (00:52)

Thanks! That looks like a great deal of fun.

Must admit the first time I saw something from Wildstar it was it's cartoony look that made the game not so interested to me. But after seeing some of the things done to the game I feel that the game might indeed become bigger then some well known IP MMO's

• indojabijinindojabijin Posts: 88Member Uncommon

It is time for the MMO scene to relive another WoW moment. I really hope Wildstar will be a sleeper hit and will be successful the longer it progresses.

Even if this game isn't a huge success - I hope another MMO in the horizon will be a hit. It's really time for change... and I think everyone lost hope of another WoW after the massive failure SWTOR suffered.

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,915Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Originally posted by Nikopol

This kinda reminds me off EQ2 vs WOW back in the day, when most people thought EQ2 was the sh*t and WOW looked too cartoony and childish and had no chance at all... Turns out cartoony isn't exactly a dealbreaker for most.

Of course that doesn't have to mean WildStar will come out on top - because, let's not forget, WOW had the IP going for it as TESO does now.

The TES ip is nowhere near as big as the Warcaft ip was before launch though.

TES has leagues of console fans as well as PC. Times are also a lot different than they were before WOW released.  Everything is far more viral in the gaming industry today.  So much so that far more non gamers know of these things, I'd say you're wrong that WC (back then) was "bigger" than TES is today on recognition alone.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser ParisPosts: 1,873Member

AA the second biggest MMO behind WOW....hahahaha. I think April's fool came early. ;)

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• RaiKoiRaiKoi MaastrichtPosts: 2Member
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    housing looks amazing but honestly the cartoony look with no huge IP to back it up will hurt the game a lot imho.. i'm going to try it for sure but don't think it's going to be huge.. we shall see but my guess TESO will draw a lot more people in based on IP alone.

True, but most people will get bored soon with Skyrim Online. WS is the underdog and will (just like WoW) grow through word of mouth.

Well, thats my guess at least.

1235»