Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Races: What can we expect / suggest ?

Comments

• naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Set_in_Ink
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    ^^ Sorry for typos but I am on my phone :/

This site is not mobile friendly at all.  Do most of my browsing on my iPad and there is something about this website that does not like mobile anything.

On topic: So long as there are Lurikeens, I am happy.  Lurikeenesque is acceptable, but, damn it, I want Lurikeens!

If what you are looking for are tiny, hard to target classes I think you will be sad. I believe I read somewhere that it would not go to such an extreme. 

Anyway...I vote for Rakshasa!

Rakshasas stand 6 to 7 feet tall and weigh between 250 and 300 pounds. Their natural shapes are relatively humanoid although they are clearly not human, as they appear more as humanoid beasts, usually tigers. Their hands also look disturbing to most humans, as their palms are where the back of the hands would be in humans. The Rakshasa are capable of hiding their disturbing appearance at any time, as they can choose any humanoid form at will. All rakshasas wear human clothing of the highest quality.

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Originally posted by naezgul

Rakshasas stand 6 to 7 feet tall and weigh between 250 and 300 pounds. Their natural shapes are relatively humanoid although they are clearly not human, as they appear more as humanoid beasts, usually tigers. Their hands also look disturbing to most humans, as their palms are where the back of the hands would be in humans. The Rakshasa are capable of hiding their disturbing appearance at any time, as they can choose any humanoid form at will. All rakshasas wear human clothing of the highest quality.

Bah, I vote for the hobgoblins

Hobgoblins are extremely powerful creatures that come in all sizes and appearances. Their high intelligence, superior agility and gigantic strength makes them the perfect choice for Any wtf-I-own.com players! With warcries like: "and my breath........DEATH!!!" they have terrorised countless battlefields and dominated all opponents.

Choose wisely, choose the hobgoblins!!!

Originally posted by tinuelle

Bah, I vote for the hobgoblins

Hobgoblins are extremely powerful creatures that come in all sizes and appearances. Their high intelligence, superior agility and gigantic strength makes them the perfect choice for Any wtf-I-own.com players! With warcries like: "and my breath........DEATH!!!" they have terrorised countless battlefields and dominated all opponents.

Choose wisely, choose the hobgoblins!!!

Well if you want to be a slovenly, brutish thug go ahead.

I'll opt for the dignified AND well dressed Rakshasa!

Types

In addition to the most common, there are several different castes of Rakshasa.

The Ak'chazar have the heads of white tigers and are thinner than common Rakshasa. They are unusually powerful spellcasters, even for Rakshasa, and specialize in necromantic magic. To use their necromantic powers to their full potential the Ak'chazar often use graveyards or old battlefields as their headquarters. When working on one of their dark schemes the Ak'chazar often let their undead do the physical work while they stay behind the scenes themselves.

The Naztharune have the heads of black tigers and are covered in black fur. They have few magical powers but compensate by being strong fighters, specializing in assassination. They lack most Rakshasa's need to be the leader of any organisation that they are part of, often working for other Rakshasa.

The Naityan Rakshasa are shapeshifters with the ability to utilize different supernatural combat styles based on their current forms.

The Zakyas resemble standard rakshasas, but rather than focusing on sorcery, they are skilled melee combatants and weapon masters. They use their weak magical powers to supplement their martial prowess.

Rakshasa Knights focus on hunting paladins on behalf of Ravanna, while Rakshasa Lords serve as his high priests.

• DaizeddDaizedd Member Posts: 142
    No cat races! :p

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218

Why not some Dragonkin? I wanna breathe fire or chlorine gas!

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

Time to pull out and peruse my 35 year old D&D Monster Manual
  • RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218

Time to pull out and peruse my 35 year old D&D Monster Manual

LOL! OOoooo! I want to play a Beholder!

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• Monstre0auSMonstre0auS Member Posts: 46

I would love to see some werekin, either lupine, feline, reptilia, etc.

Why not have other choices as well, demonic, fae folk, undead, or even ancients!

Antideluvians and such?

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

A few races for Vikings :

Tjetajat (a class not a race...not new its basically a shaman but i thought you would like the description :)  ) :

The word for a Shaman in the myths of the Finno-Ugrics. This name is given to people who posses magical powers who can enter the spirit world and converse with spirits. In the Siberian Arctic, the word Shaman translates as ‘One who is excited’ or the ‘One who is raised up’. They have the power to transform into a bird. Others ride magical horses that can fly. They talk to the gods and perform exorcisms to rid a place of evil spirits. Sometimes the word Shaman originates from the beliefs in the Siberian Arctic of an undying spirit that enters into the body of a person. This person then seeks to take a spiritual life. To do this they must go into he woods and practice attaining enlightenment. Once this is done they have become a Shaman and they can use their magical powers. Once this person dies the spirit that first entered them lives on and finds another body to live in.

The Elle-folk

The Elle-folk are a type of Danish Elf race that have hollow backs and live in underground societies with kings, laws and traditions much like man. Their hollow backs are made of rotting flesh. If a person sees the back of the Elle-folk, the Elle-folk become infuriated and will kill that person. It truly is their most embarrassing feature.

The females are tiny with long hair and the males look prematurely aged. To meet one is unfortunate as the females sing so beautifully that hunters and travellers are enticed and locked in awe. They are then lured to their deaths. The Elle-folk live in the Elenmounds which were burial grounds of ancient man. They come out only at night to fight with their armies over territorial disputes.

The Elle-folk are similar to the Huldra and to the various Woodwives of European legend. The main difference is, is that the Elle-folk live underground while the Woodwives and Huldra live in the depths of the forests.

And my favorite uncommon race (also read about the mount .... awesome :D )

Bergfolk

A Troll-like creatures in Norse mythology. They ride on three-legged horses and are used as auxiliary troops in battle. They carry bows but never use them unless a Christian has shot at them first. They have long noses which they use to stir their porridge. Originally they were believed to be the angles of Lucifer who fell from the heavens but evaded falling into hell. Some of these Angels became fairies and Brownies while others became Bergfolk.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

Originally posted by Monstre0auS

I would love to see some werekin, either lupine, feline, reptilia, etc.

Why not have other choices as well, demonic, fae folk, undead, or even ancients!

Antideluvians and such?

Maybe getting so funky with all these exotics race balance becomes an issue.

i.e. trolls regenerate, undead no poisoning etc.

what do ou give traditional races?

probably best left to pen & paper

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

As long as there's trolls, I'll be content...seeing as how Norse (viking) mythology is full of trolls, they gotta have trolls, right? :D

Just a few other races for Vikings:

Skogfru - Race of Forest seductress, who lure men into the woods to suck the life out of them.

Maras - Race of female werewolves.

Merfolk - Particularly mermaids...Norse had something with evil women monsters :S

Jotnar - Giants

• OldskooOldskoo Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

Tjetajat (a class not a race...not new its basically a shaman but i thought you would like the description :)  ) :

The word for a Shaman in the myths of the Finno-Ugrics. This name is given to people who posses magical powers who can enter the spirit world and converse with spirits. In the Siberian Arctic, the word Shaman translates as ‘One who is excited’ or the ‘One who is raised up’. They have the power to transform into a bird. Others ride magical horses that can fly. They talk to the gods and perform exorcisms to rid a place of evil spirits. Sometimes the word Shaman originates from the beliefs in the Siberian Arctic of an undying spirit that enters into the body of a person. This person then seeks to take a spiritual life. To do this they must go into he woods and practice attaining enlightenment. Once this is done they have become a Shaman and they can use their magical powers. Once this person dies the spirit that first entered them lives on and finds another body to live in.

The Elle-folk

The Elle-folk are a type of Danish Elf race that have hollow backs and live in underground societies with kings, laws and traditions much like man. Their hollow backs are made of rotting flesh. If a person sees the back of the Elle-folk, the Elle-folk become infuriated and will kill that person. It truly is their most embarrassing feature.

The females are tiny with long hair and the males look prematurely aged. To meet one is unfortunate as the females sing so beautifully that hunters and travellers are enticed and locked in awe. They are then lured to their deaths. The Elle-folk live in the Elenmounds which were burial grounds of ancient man. They come out only at night to fight with their armies over territorial disputes.

The Elle-folk are similar to the Huldra and to the various Woodwives of European legend. The main difference is, is that the Elle-folk live underground while the Woodwives and Huldra live in the depths of the forests.

Bergfolk

A Troll-like creatures in Norse mythology. They ride on three-legged horses and are used as auxiliary troops in battle. They carry bows but never use them unless a Christian has shot at them first. They have long noses which they use to stir their porridge. Originally they were believed to be the angles of Lucifer who fell from the heavens but evaded falling into hell. Some of these Angels became fairies and Brownies while others became Bergfolk.

I am usually a traditionalist as far as races go in games. In those  where they invent their own races for the game, there is often so many similarities between their creations and another long-standing traditional race found in the older MMOs or RPGs, that they add little to the game for me and I would have preferred they just kept with the classics.

That being said, I do enjoy when someone takes these traditional races and tweaks them or alters them for their world. I also like what you provided here. They are some very unique beings that are a lesser known part of the lore this game is drawing upon, which makes races like this a good "fit" for CU. Knowing that they weren't just made up because the dev was simply trying to be different or was bored with the traditional races, but instead are based on mythology, lore, history, etc. makes the race much more appealing to me for some reason I can't quite explain. I could see all these guys being unique races that could add flavor. Thanks for sharing this!

Originally posted by Gravarg

As long as there's trolls, I'll be content...seeing as how Norse (viking) mythology is full of trolls, they gotta have trolls, right? :D

Just a few other races for Vikings:

Skogfru - Race of Forest seductress, who lure men into the woods to suck the life out of them.

Maras - Race of female werewolves.

Merfolk - Particularly mermaids...Norse had something with evil women monsters :S

Jotnar - Giants

Ummmm, I think men of all cultures did.....harpies, sirens, Gorgons ....the list is endless 

Originally posted by Oldskoo

The Elle-folk

Bergfolk

I am usually a traditionalist as far as races go in games. In those  where they invent their own races for the game, there is often so many similarities between their creations and another long-standing traditional race found in the older MMOs or RPGs, that they add little to the game for me and I would have preferred they just kept with the classics.

That being said, I do enjoy when someone takes these traditional races and tweaks them or alters them for their world. I also like what you provided here. They are some very unique beings that are a lesser known part of the lore this game is drawing upon, which makes races like this a good "fit" for CU. Knowing that they weren't just made up because the dev was simply trying to be different or was bored with the traditional races, but instead are based on mythology, lore, history, etc. makes the race much more appealing to me for some reason I can't quite explain. I could see all these guys being unique races that could add flavor. Thanks for sharing this!

I agree...I prefer they are taken from history or mythology.

until I had a chemistry class, mythology was my favorite class in school

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

The Elle-folk

Bergfolk

I agree...I prefer they are taken from history or mythology.

until I had a chemistry class, mythology was my favorite class in school

Naezgul : I didnt make those up, they are part of Vikings mythology. Look it up :)

i would not dare "invent" new races for CU, there is already tons of existing myths and creatures for all 3 realms already, we can dig just a tad more to get out of the usual races already known and used often in mmorpgs.

Bergfolks and Elle-folks are respectively variants of Trolls and Elves, but i like the little background and descriptions that i found on google.

A change would be nice.

Oldskoo : Thanks, i did some research on the net tonight to learn a bit more about vikings mythological creature, and i thought those ones would be a great fit for CU also.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• ArnfiarnunnArnfiarnunn Member UncommonPosts: 61

It's maybe akward but I would really love to see unbalance races. Let me explain.

Like some class/races shouldn't be allow to craft metals, some races should have special abilties like moving slower but being heavier (dwarves?)

Once again it would put a very strategical impact on your choice, you will have to be what you chose. If you are a dwarf you will have to act like one! Being a fucking slow stone and rolling on your ennemies.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I'd love to see a tree race in CU. Sylvans are my favorite DAOC race.
  • Set_in_InkSet_in_Ink Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Set_in_Ink
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    ^^ Sorry for typos but I am on my phone :/

This site is not mobile friendly at all.  Do most of my browsing on my iPad and there is something about this website that does not like mobile anything.

On topic: So long as there are Lurikeens, I am happy.  Lurikeenesque is acceptable, but, damn it, I want Lurikeens!

If what you are looking for are tiny, hard to target classes I think you will be sad. I believe I read somewhere that it would not go to such an extreme. 

I couldn't care less about being hard to target.  You could place a beacon at my feet and giant, neon flashing arrows pointing at my head and give me the hitbox of three trolls and a half-ogre, I just want a Lurikeen.

'I think that there are certain crimes which the law cannot touch, and which therefore, to some extent, justify private revenge.' -Sherlock Holmes

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by Arnfiarnunn

It's maybe akward but I would really love to see unbalance races. Let me explain.

Like some class/races shouldn't be allow to craft metals, some races should have special abilties like moving slower but being heavier (dwarves?)

Once again it would put a very strategical impact on your choice, you will have to be what you chose. If you are a dwarf you will have to act like one! Being a fucking slow stone and rolling on your ennemies.

Agree with the theory, but where the rubber hits the pavement, things just aren't all doable. Game mechanics will dictate a lot of this. If group speed buffs are in the game, which they probably will be in some form, you can't have one race moving slower than the rest of the group....tons of frustration or that race never gets groups and then is a rarity or novelty in the game.

But as an idea, I'm sure if it fits in the game and doesn't break a core or important mechanic, they'll do stuff like this. It's right in line with everything in the FPs.

• WazlukWazluk Member Posts: 159
    So all I basically got from this thread is 1) Mark hates Twilight (twinkle twinkle) and 2) CU will be in the year 2099 after WW3 and the nuclear fallout has set upon the world.

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us!
    Wazluk - Legionnaire of Terminus
    Draken Stalker
  • drakon3drakon3 Member Posts: 114
    The only race I DON'T want is a very small one, like Lurikeens.  Yes I loved my Lurikeen Vampiir that tore Thidranki up, but in a PvP game the size advantage alone is too much without other disadvantages.
  • fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I loved playing a Fairy in Horizon. 

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by fanglo
    I loved playing a Fairy in Horizon. 

Horizion, wow, I remember seeing their "race" chart and being so amazed, I couldn't WAIT to play it,t hen the game got turned inside out, so many great idea's thrown away and it changed quite a lot.

I googled and found the old Race chart for it, just looking at thi smade me so excited to play it back in the day, just such a diversity in race choices and they were VERY Different in terms of design/shape/size:

http://mnemnosyne.com/horizonslineup.jpg

I mean Giants.....that are actually Giants, Angels, Demons, Dragons (that are actually huge and you could fly), vampires,  an insectoid type race, underwater race, etc. So many great idea's behind that games races, such a shame what happened to most of them.

If CU could have a good diversity of races that weren't all humanoid and had variety that'd be good imo.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by drakon3
    The only race I DON'T want is a very small one, like Lurikeens.  Yes I loved my Lurikeen Vampiir that tore Thidranki up, but in a PvP game the size advantage alone is too much without other disadvantages.

They did have other disadvantages: lower starting strength and constitution and difficulty with LOS at some keep and tower windows. The Camelot Herald rankings weren't top heavy with Lurikeens (or Kobolds) either. Size was an advantage yes but your class and skill were much more important.

I'd say Lurikeens would be much more balanced for CU than a race like Troll with its massive strength advantage over other races for that matter. An Elf eldritch was just as good as a Lurikeen. A Kobold warrior didn't come close to a Troll until high RR.

But this is supposed to be a game where choices matter and not another GW 2 where race choice means basically nothing. Races like Lurkeens and Trolls or new small and strong races would be fine with me.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Originally posted by drakon3

They did have other disadvantages: lower starting strength and constitution and difficulty with LOS at some keep and tower windows. The Camelot Herald rankings weren't top heavy with Lurikeens (or Kobolds) either. Size was an advantage yes but your class and skill were much more important.

I'd say Lurikeens would be much more balanced for CU than a race like Troll with its massive strength advantage over other races for that matter. An Elf eldritch was just as good as a Lurikeen. A Kobold warrior didn't come close to a Troll until high RR.

But this is supposed to be a game where choices matter and not another GW 2 where race choice means basically nothing. Races like Lurkeens and Trolls or new small and strong races would be fine with me.

QFT

Don't make everybody be the same. Let's have fun not being equal in everything.