Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if WOW goes Free To Play?

13»

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by PsychoticHamster
    You know what would be cool? If Blizz took the next 2-3 years, essentially remaking the game's graphics, combat, and gameplay structure so that it looks more modern, has real time action combat(input priority- none of this animation priority crap), and theres now more sandbox features. WoW could definitely remain in the game longer if they went with a growing MMO trend-becoming a sandbox.

Yes, it makes so much sense to make drastic changes the game thats 10x more popular than its nearest competitor

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by rensta
    Originally posted by PsychoticHamster
    You know what would be cool? If Blizz took the next 2-3 years, essentially remaking the game's graphics, combat, and gameplay structure so that it looks more modern, has real time action combat(input priority- none of this animation priority crap), and theres now more sandbox features. WoW could definitely remain in the game longer if they went with a growing MMO trend-becoming a sandbox.

+1  If WOW reborns into and epic action sand box mmorpg,so many WOW haters are going to commite suicide haha.

along with activision stock holders

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Its to late now. WoW is old news. Really far away from todays standards.

It has it fans still. But it wouldnt really grow in revenue

if they have so many subs as "old news" then i think all the other mmo companies would hope to be "old news" too.

do you think blizz cares if wow keeps growing or not? they didnt even imagined that after almost 10 years it would still have more than 6-7million subscribers. they just want to keep it as it is, or at least control the decline to be smooth, which i think they have also done brilliantly.

btw, just check all the "todays news" mmo's and see their sub base. check them were they are after a couple of months or a year max. they all sinked. i dont care about the reasons but hell they sinked

and you know what? if blizz wants it, wow will live for long. if they dont replace it with another mmo, it may have 1/10 of its past subs but it will still live. but i think 1/10 of wow past subs is more than 1 million right? i dont think that there is any other mmo right now with those number, even if its brand new :)

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I voted yes, only played WoW beta myself, and it didn't click for me, but free makes anything bigger, but they get a lot of sub money as it is, even with getting bigger, they could actually lose money in such a move, due to the amount of people that are paying a sub now (not all markets pay subs, but I think 3 million or so do).  Also, you would run the risk of alienating a lot of you hardcore customers with an expanded cash shop and ways to try to make the money up.  I don't see it happening, unless the amount of people paying a sub drops to a lower number.

Older games only age so well, so even though it is the 'king', it will not appeal to many with its style.

• NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76

Isn't part of it F2P now already? or have I just been mishearing some things?

I would give it another shot to, wait for it, WoW me.  Although I'm also one of those people that hated vanillia WoW. If it did go F2P there would be the normal graph chart that you can pull up for most games that go F2P, from being sub before.

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Wow 1-20 level is free trial so I guess parts of it is f2p technically. If it goes full f2p it'll just overwhelm most servers I reckon.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    Originally posted by Branko2307
    2 bilion $ a year why on earth would they go f2p looool

this and i can see that within 2 years they will go b2p upto a certain expansion point but will never go full b2p let alone going f2p. it has been confirmed that the character texture will see huge upgrade in next expansion. of course they will still keep the cartoony animation but even with cartoony animation we can expect something great(see those disneypixar animated movies?) and it has already been hinted that devs are working on a detailed character creation system but it was just a hint from ghostcrawler on a q&a session with players. new games these days are coming out with stunning eye candy graphics and they are certainly getting lots of attention despite their gameplay, so blizz must to do something about that and they are on it. as far as gameplay goes, they have no intentions to change the current gameplay ever because as much as i can see their gameplay is still the most viable in mmo market despite many  people calling it outdated. their comabt system is still the most fast paced compared to many other mmo i have played, but still they could change it a bit but as far as wow fans go "change is a blasphemy". the current updates of the game are very polished but still they need some more work, crz really need to change   and ghostcrawaler has confimed that it will change and that they have gatherd enough feedback from players as to how they will like the crz. overall wow is still the only mmorpg that is highly stable in almost all category, not too catchy but not shabby, seems outdated but inside is still young and energetic. i do not see them going f2p unless there is some major economy crash all over the world. 

I pointed it out earlier but........

Why on earth would they go f2p?

Greater profits than 2 billion $ per year. 

If f2p could net them more money, the motivation for switching isn't hard to see.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Wow already has a f2p model?

?=!

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    I wouldn't be suprised if they make it f2p for those that sub to their next MMO, or do something along those lines.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    If WoW goes F2P, I honestly would not be surprised if they use the same tactics EA used with SW:TOR (i.e. seriously limiting you in what you can do by capping your crafting, removing hotkey bars, forcing you to buy expansions, etc.)

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

i dont understant the point of the discussion.

they are by far the n1 sub mmo and this will not change soon. but even if they are down to 1/3 or 1/4 of their sub base, its again more than 1.5-2m. you know many games like that? most mmo's make proffit with 200-300k subs, so why on earth they go f2p? and dont tell me about shops/micros etc etc. they have a model which made them rich, why to take the risk and change it?