Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift Shutdowns (KR Server)

NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Rift is shutting down their KR servers soon, so what does this say for the western market? If you have payed attention much to the game and was there since launch and beta you will remember how many servers the game use to have. Now non-North American servers make up a staggering total of 1 and there are about 7-8 serrvers the non-Oceanic players. They have merged factions to the point you don't need them because you share everything. Your in the same guild. You run dungeons together and share PvP. This for me not only made for an unenjoyable game play, but also was a telltale sign they were trying to make their servers appear more populated.

In the long run time will tell, but for now lets hear your thoughts.

Link to video talking about the shutdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bziRd_M702s

Comments

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

I think Trion is a good company that produced an interesting game that maybe can’t overcome its shortcomings to survive long term using the subscription model. I keep expecting a free to play announcement any coming month. From my perspective the real issue is that it is soulless to the point of feeling generic in spite of and perhaps because of its character ascended soul system and world design choices. I think people want more clearly defined classes with personality that meet a play expectation and roles (if desiring a new twist on the classic trinity) for characters instead of multi-soul-tool kits. I think people want a world that is more dynamic than just RIFT invasions of various flavors and rewards you for exploring. Two factions were not enough and a combat system favoring macro use (vanilla RIFT pre SL) takes away from the feel of “playing” rather than programing something to play for you.

They are adding some wonderful features most players would love in an established game but the base flaws noted are so fundamental to the game that it will always be held back. Honestly, they keep trying to re-tool the base game to deal with some of these issues but they are so intrinsic that it will take RIFT 2.0 or be exemplified in whatever game they produce next. I am still sad they gave up on the RPG part they had planned for Defiance. I just hope they haven’t given up on MMORPGs altogether.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    apparently Rift-KR was among the several Korean mmorpg shutting down these days due to some supossedly new South Korean policies.