Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Races: What can we expect / suggest ?

BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

I read a few times tht there wont be elves, wich made me wonder....we'll we  have only "human" races ? Celts, Brits, etc ? or will we have some other humanoids race like i.e. kobolds, trolls ?

I also thought it would be nice to come up with fresh ideas, without going crazy either :P Humanoids with no god like powers, undeads etc.

I found 2 on the internet that i posted further on the thread (page 5), didnt make those up, they do "exist" in ancient viking mythology.

Edit 2 : changed the title since it wasnt appropriate anymore :P

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
Thurka on WAR

Comments

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218

A little history on TTD can be found here:
    http://www.timelessmyths.com/celtic/danann.html

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

I read a few times tht there wont be elves, wich made me wonder....we'll we  have only "human" races ? Celts, Brits, etc ? or will we have some other humanoids race like i.e. kobolds, trolls ?

I would like to see other fantasy races but if there aren't thats ok because I usually only play humanoid characters anymore.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    I would bet my estate (ok I don't have an estate) that not only will the races be surprising in some ways and markedly different from each other.
  • TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    No elves?  If there are no elves, there probably won't be any lurikeens... which makes me die a little on the inside. :((

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Originally posted by Tumblebutz
    No elves?  If there are no elves, there probably won't be any lurikeens... which makes me die a little on the inside. :((

Why would you assume that? Just because I said no sparkly, pointed ears elves. :)

Keep in mind that there is a world of difference between sparkly elves with pointed ears and their evolution over the centuries from their original roots.

I just think that sparkly, elves with pointed ears are a bit overdone. We can do better.

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

Why would you assume that? Just because I said no sparkly, pointed ears elves. :)

Keep in mind that there is a world of difference between sparkly, elves with pointed ears and their evolution.

oh ! no i thought i saw something else regarding elves somewhere else, i might be mistaken though !

But now i think i understand better :) àMy bad all ! i didnt want to scare anyone :P

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• MaricMaric Member UncommonPosts: 98

It seems to me that the lore of CU is something like a post apocalyptic Earth where the 'old' myths are reborn.  If the game is a success, the lore would be wide open for new races such as elves fighting with the Tuatha De Dannan and such.  I hope Mark has someone working on deep lore for CU because I'm really curious about the backstory for the game.

Dark Sun elves confirmed. Discuss.

Jk.
  • MaricMaric Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by RealLifeGobbo

A little history on TTD can be found here:
    http://www.timelessmyths.com/celtic/danann.html

Thanks for that link.  Great information!

Originally posted by PerfArt
    Dark Sun elves confirmed. Discuss.

Jk.

LOL. 

Seriosuly though, it's 2013, we can do a lot better than fall back to the same old races, classes, etc. We've had an apocalypse on this world and what emerges can be, at times, quite different from what one expects. Not always but sometimes and we should have fun with it.

Mark Jacobs

LOL. Seriosuly though, it's 2013, we can do a lot better than fall back to the same old races, classes, etc. We've had an apocalypse on this world and what emerges can be, at times, quite different from what one expects. Not always but sometimes and we should have fun with it.

Well... sh*t... now my curiosity is going into overdrive!

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

Hell yeah, Mark! Can you please stop saying all the right things so that I can get to sleep at night and not keep conceptualizing all the possibilities? :P

Also, it's not 2013. It's 550 AD! Don't you harsh my buzz!

;)
  • OldskooOldskoo Member UncommonPosts: 189

I am eager to see a modern or even more "heavier" take on the races over what we see in all the cutesy MMO's that have come down the pipe over the years. I still love the classic high, wood, wild, dark, etc. elves but I could see, especially in a setting such as this where worlds have essentially collided, a great opportunity to create a unique take on the traditional races. 

Without knowing all the lore, these elves may be faced with a new reality that has transformed their collective psyche in a manner that they are much harsher than we have seen in other mediums. Looking forward to learning more, as always. 

Originally posted by RealLifeGobbo

LOL. 

Seriosuly though, it's 2013, we can do a lot better than fall back to the same old races, classes, etc. We've had an apocalypse on this world and what emerges can be, at times, quite different from what one expects. Not always but sometimes and we should have fun with it.

Well... sh*t... now my curiosity is going into overdrive!

Hell yeah, Mark! Can you please stop saying all the right things so that I can get to sleep at night and not keep conceptualizing all the possibilities? :P

Also, it's not 2013. It's 550 AD! Don't you harsh my buzz!

;)

Thanks, this is exactly what I'm looking for from the folks who will be on our forums if we fund. We're a bunch of gamers and we should have fun with this opportunity. I, for one, want to push more interesting things out the door than simply rehashing what has been done in the past. 

Mark Jacobs

Originally posted by Oldskoo

I am eager to see a modern or even more "heavier" take on the races over what we see in all the cutesy MMO's that have come down the pipe over the years. I still love the classic high, wood, wild, dark, etc. elves but I could see, especially in a setting such as this where worlds have essentially collided, a great opportunity to create a unique take on the traditional races. 

Without knowing all the lore, these elves may be faced with a new reality that has transformed their collective psyche in a manner that they are much harsher than we have seen in other mediums. Looking forward to learning more, as always. 

Well said and QFT.

Mark Jacobs

Oldskoo:

Exactly. There are myriad possibilities for very new takes on old themes, not just as a psychological reaction to a broken world, but in regard to the Veil being more a part of the world than it was. Who's to say that those otherworldly energies didn't affect the physical and/or chemical evolution of subsequent generations.

Can't wait to be surprised.

Thanks, this is exactly what I'm looking for from the folks who will be on our forums if we fund. We're a bunch of gamers and we should have fun with this opportunity. I, for one, want to push more interesting things out the door than simply rehashing what has been done in the past. 

Thank you for the kind words! /cry

• binskkibinskki Member CommonPosts: 153

Looks like even the races are going to be creative, interesting, and well-thought-out....WOOOO HOOO!

Sorry, spilled my tea, there. :)  But I have an honors folklore and mythology degree from way back when, partially specializing in Celtic...very exciting to see something that doesn't just settle for cutsie-poo for a change.

This group of people is going to generate some great ideas.

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

It'd be nice if there were some races that weren't uesd much in games, tied to the lore and such mythos. Just something unique/new to CU that other mmo's don't use.

Humans/Elves/Dwarves/orcs have been done to death in mmorpgs especially. There are sooooooo many other mythical races out there that are untapped, let alone thinking of completey "new" ones.

I would think from a creative standpoint it'd be a blast to be an artist/modeler and be able tot hink up some new race and design it to fit within tihe lore/setting and not be restricted to well known races.

If there is the usual Elves/Dwarves, etc then at least hopefully they'll be presented differently.

That's what I liked about the Witcher. It has Elves/Dwarves but they aren't  treated the same in most fantasy settings. They are very repressed by the humans and some have resorted to rebeling against the powers that be (the Scoia'tael).

Thank you so much for your communication, Mark!

And binskki: that's awesome. I am admittedly only an afficianado of Celtic myth, but I do love it, which is why I played Hibernia in DAoC and will be playing TDD in CU.

Any specific things you want to see? For example, do you think usage if the term "sith" in regard to races confuse people too much do to Star Wars references? Cait Sith, et al. (this also brings up the issue of furries lol)

Would an all female race be acceptable? Granted, daoc had an all female class (Bainshee) but that's quite different than a whole race. Since the class selection will ostensibly be small at release, do you think this a viable option in regard to lore?

Do you think there us any getting around Fir Bolgs? Given the mythical history of the region, that seems impossible. Interested to see what they do with that.

Any ideas about lesser-known myths that could be explored for racial purposes?

Answer any, all, or none of these. I am just nerding out right now because I am excited :)
  • PRX_sklurbPRX_sklurb Member Posts: 167
    PLEASE, for the love of all that is dear and holy, don't make any cute Asian-style Gerbil races! (I know they don't belong in Camelot, but it HAD to be said!)

CLICK: »»» http://CamelotUnchained.net «««

^^ Sorry for typos but I am on my phone :/
  • Set_in_InkSet_in_Ink Member Posts: 48
    ^^ Sorry for typos but I am on my phone :/

This site is not mobile friendly at all.  Do most of my browsing on my iPad and there is something about this website that does not like mobile anything.

On topic: So long as there are Lurikeens, I am happy.  Lurikeenesque is acceptable, but, damn it, I want Lurikeens!

'I think that there are certain crimes which the law cannot touch, and which therefore, to some extent, justify private revenge.' -Sherlock Holmes

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322

Keep in mind that there is a world of difference between sparkly elves with pointed ears and their evolution over the centuries from their original roots.

I just think that sparkly, elves with pointed ears are a bit overdone. We can do better.

What a tease! 

I like the idea of a gritty re-imagining of the races.  I'm a bit tired of "cute."  I actually thought DAoC was a nice departure from that in its original incarnation.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Now I am imagining elves with floppy ears and a dust cloud like pigpen in peanuts!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"