Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if WOW goes Free To Play?

Comments

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

All the signs suggest that is were it is headed... they keep testing the waters with all their other titles.  Hearthstone being the latest test campaign.  My bet is that "Titan" won't be a sub-based game and they are just working out how to do it.

It's not a matter of "if" it's a matter of "when".  They are going to watch Hearthstone very closely, if it turns out to be a huge success... it will become the next business model.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

The original question was not whether it was a good idea or not to go free2play but what would happen if it did. 

I would log back on to check out my warlock and maybe fly around a while.  Maybe poke around my various banks.   I don't think it would last very long though.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by Branko2307
    2 bilion $ a year why on earth would they go f2p looool

this and i can see that within 2 years they will go b2p upto a certain expansion point but will never go full b2p let alone going f2p. it has been confirmed that the character texture will see huge upgrade in next expansion. of course they will still keep the cartoony animation but even with cartoony animation we can expect something great(see those disneypixar animated movies?) and it has already been hinted that devs are working on a detailed character creation system but it was just a hint from ghostcrawler on a q&a session with players. new games these days are coming out with stunning eye candy graphics and they are certainly getting lots of attention despite their gameplay, so blizz must to do something about that and they are on it. as far as gameplay goes, they have no intentions to change the current gameplay ever because as much as i can see their gameplay is still the most viable in mmo market despite many  people calling it outdated. their comabt system is still the most fast paced compared to many other mmo i have played, but still they could change it a bit but as far as wow fans go "change is a blasphemy". the current updates of the game are very polished but still they need some more work, crz really need to change   and ghostcrawaler has confimed that it will change and that they have gatherd enough feedback from players as to how they will like the crz. overall wow is still the only mmorpg that is highly stable in almost all category, not too catchy but not shabby, seems outdated but inside is still young and energetic. i do not see them going f2p unless there is some major economy crash all over the world. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by pmiles

All the signs suggest that is were it is headed... they keep testing the waters with all their other titles.  Hearthstone being the latest test campaign.  My bet is that "Titan" won't be a sub-based game and they are just working out how to do it.

It's not a matter of "if" it's a matter of "when".  They are going to watch Hearthstone very closely, if it turns out to be a huge success... it will become the next business model.

hearthstone? really? you want to pay monthly sub for a card game? do you think anyone in this world would pay sub for a card game? i don't even wanna look at that game let alone play it.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

All the signs suggest that is were it is headed... they keep testing the waters with all their other titles.  Hearthstone being the latest test campaign.  My bet is that "Titan" won't be a sub-based game and they are just working out how to do it. It's not a matter of "if" it's a matter of "when".  They are going to watch Hearthstone very closely, if it turns out to be a huge success... it will become the next business model.

While I kinda agree, I also don't really. I personally think that the RMAH in D3 was a test for Titan, and that fell flat (thank you great invisible thing in the sky).

But to say that the business model of Hearthstone will set the tone for Titan, I don't believe. First, hearthstone isn't an MMO, it's a cat of a totally different stripe. Second, they have already proven that, as a company, they draw enough of a player base to stick with the sub model, and be quite profitable at it.

IF WoW ever went F2P, it wouldn't be until well after Titan is making them the money they have grown accustomed to

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Its to late now. WoW is old news. Really far away from todays standards.

It has it fans still. But it wouldnt really grow in revenue

Cool story bro. Wow is the standard.

No bashing wow , but lets face it - who wanted to play , played it.

Its old news

F2P attracts people that are unsure about playing title (aka its new or not that good) and dont want to pay sub.

correction.... who wanted to play, is still playing it (and some others come and go)

Remember that interview with one of the guys from Blizz about F2P? he said something like WoW would consider F2P if a F2P mmo becomes a real threat to WoW and take most of their playerbase. The guy didnt use those exact words but it was clear that was the message. So far WoW has being going for 8-9 years without facing any threats.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Man the WoW defenders came out with their pitchforks and torches on this one telling everyone why the game will not got F2P. I took the OP's post as a what if, not that he was implyng it was going F2P so I'll answer without the raw emotion some of these other guys have shown when someone dares challenge its supremacy. NO I still wouldn't play it. It's had it's time and the choices the devs made have turned me off of the game completely. But I could see it's numbers growing because of  those peole that never really played it or played it for long.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Originally posted by Thane

what if they gave you a porsche for free, would you drive it. 

even tho you would have to pay for fuel, taxes and so on?!

it's silly question time!

blizz wont go f2p, why should they.

Well i did say if...... and the funny thing is,that WOW has been taken some steps in the F2P direction.... as i am typing this replay i see "World Of Warcraft patch 5.2 NOW LIVE PLAY FREE NOW" 

Yes i know WOW is free until lvl 20 or someother bullshit.... but still, advertising as a F2P game?.......

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

Originally posted by FlawSGI
    Man the WoW defenders came out with their pitchforks and torches on this one telling everyone why the game will not got F2P. I took the OP's post as a what if, not that he was implyng it was going F2P so I'll answer without the raw emotion some of these other guys have shown when someone dares challenge its supremacy. NO I still wouldn't play it. It's had it's time and the choices the devs made have turned me off of the game completely. But I could see it's numbers growing because of  those peole that never really played it or played it for long.

Haha, yes exactly, some of us can still use our imagination..... 

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• archeagekingarcheageking Member Posts: 88
    they have 9 million monthly subscribers why would they kill the monthly source of income to go free to play? are you insane?
  • UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    WoW's graphics will still be outdated and its art style will still resemble a "Babys Game".
  • slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by reaperuk
    History has shown that going free to play is a good way to revitalise a fading game. I don't see why it would be any different for WoW. It's been on a downward slide for some time now and most of these huge player numbers fans like to quote actually come from the much lower profit areas in Asia. The numbers of people from North America and Europe who like the game enough to pay a monthly sub have fallen drastically even over the past year. Sooner or later I'm sure WoW will have to follow the money and change to some kind of F2P or B2P model the same as most other games have already.

Most of WoWs subscriber losses have been in Asia.

The big loss after the bump from MoP was pretty much all China.

So ...yeah. Anything else?

From selling 5 million copies of Cata down to 2.7 million of MoP seems to indicate otherwise.

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by slickbizzle
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by reaperuk
    History has shown that going free to play is a good way to revitalise a fading game. I don't see why it would be any different for WoW. It's been on a downward slide for some time now and most of these huge player numbers fans like to quote actually come from the much lower profit areas in Asia. The numbers of people from North America and Europe who like the game enough to pay a monthly sub have fallen drastically even over the past year. Sooner or later I'm sure WoW will have to follow the money and change to some kind of F2P or B2P model the same as most other games have already.

Most of WoWs subscriber losses have been in Asia.

The big loss after the bump from MoP was pretty much all China.

So ...yeah. Anything else?

From selling 5 million copies of Cata down to 2.7 million of MoP seems to indicate otherwise.

This guy knows his stuff, sir are you from the wow media? o0 It indicates nothing thats only a first month sales...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    I don't see wow going F2P anytime soon. I reckon it would go Freemium rather than F2P if it changed in anyway.
  • GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by GreenHell
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Kingmob23

Its to late now. WoW is old news. Really far away from todays standards.

It has it fans still. But it wouldnt really grow in revenue

...and yet vastly more enjoyable than the newer news such as GW2 and TSW.

Yeah.. well Cata screwed that one for me.  Worst expansion ever.

why do feel that way about Cata?

A few reasons.

Story was boring compared to Wotlk.  The whole dragons disguised as humans thing never really took off for me, Deathwing's story was subpar, and Garrosh was pretty painful too.

Zones were a chore.  The only good one was Deepholm.  Vash'jr was so awful I wanted to poke my eyes out...

Raids were dull compared to the excitement of ICC and its more memorable bosses, or even Sunwell for that matter.

It just felt "tacked on" and I imagine a lot of it was probably because of Ghostcrawler not being good at his job (hell, he even admits a lot of it didn't work out).  Most people I've talked to agree that it was the worst xpac, but opinions vary obviously.  I know it was the one that saw a huge loss of players compared to the previous xpacs.

For the sake of those remaining in the game, I hope MoP is better.

EDIT: If there was one thing I DID really enjoy about Cata, it was the Undead starting zone.  From lvl 1 to nearly 25, the new story was great and easily the most fun I had post-Wotlk.

I completely agree with you on all points. I hated Cata. I don't think it could compare to WotLK. To me Cata was boring. I really didn't care about Deathwing or anything that was going on. None of it mattered to me so I quit for over a year.

I like MoP. I don't like Pandas but they are something I have gotten used to seeing. Kind of like Worgen. MoP is at least enjoyable. More than can be said for Cata.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

god these what ifs are retarded  what if that what if this bla dudes comeone blizard hates free to play and wow old outdated and boring get with whats going on today not yesterday 

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Its a bad game IMO, but they do a great job of attracting the kiddies and bored teen agers
  • davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218
    2 bilion $ a year why on earth would they go f2p looool

A couple years ago Blizzard themselves said that eventually WoW would go F2P. It wont happen any time soon though I'd imagine.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    F2P would make their playerbase bigger but I dont see it bringing in more income....WoW and Eve may be the last 2 games that p2p works prefectly for.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    F2P will make any game bigger, better and more profitable yes even that behemoth from Blizzard.  I wouldn't play it because I promised myself 2 things.

1. I would never play another Tab Target combat game again
    2. I would never play a Raid Centric game again.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• TehTicTehTic Member UncommonPosts: 36

originally I thought that there was no projects such as Titan well I was wrong. Here's an article I just ran across confirming another leak of Titan. Hooray!!!

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/02/rumor-titan-a-time-traveling-earthbound-mmo/

• TehTicTehTic Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    F2P will make any game bigger, better and more profitable yes even that behemoth from Blizzard.  I wouldn't play it because I promised myself 2 things.

1. I would never play another Tab Target combat game again
    2. I would never play a Raid Centric game again.

don't intend to play wildstar than as it will have a  soft tab targeting and focused on hard-core players i.e. RAID

• kidtristankidtristan Member Posts: 3
    yes i agree!
    Originally posted by PsychoticHamster
    You know what would be cool? If Blizz took the next 2-3 years, essentially remaking the game's graphics, combat, and gameplay structure so that it looks more modern, has real time action combat(input priority- none of this animation priority crap), and theres now more sandbox features. WoW could definitely remain in the game longer if they went with a growing MMO trend-becoming a sandbox.

+1  If WOW reborns into and epic action sand box mmorpg,so many WOW haters are going to commite suicide haha.

Add Multi-Quote

• fumoffu1fumoffu1 Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by rensta
    Originally posted by PsychoticHamster
    You know what would be cool? If Blizz took the next 2-3 years, essentially remaking the game's graphics, combat, and gameplay structure so that it looks more modern, has real time action combat(input priority- none of this animation priority crap), and theres now more sandbox features. WoW could definitely remain in the game longer if they went with a growing MMO trend-becoming a sandbox.

+1  If WOW reborns into and epic action sand box mmorpg,so many WOW haters are going to commite suicide haha.

i'd love to see that happpen :D