Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

How to make GW 2 great!

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

I like GW2, but I want to LOVE GW2. I do LOVE what they have done with NPCs and the events and such. I'm really enjoying it. But I think it needs meaningful server PVP to take it to the next level. The first thing they can do to ALL servers is make it so we can see names in WVWVW ;)

Now, onto my revolutionary game enhancing idea!

A new "hardcore" server is the first requirement. This server will be special.

You can flag yourself as an "outlaw" and pvp on your server against your server mates that also decided to be outlaws. It's a flag, it's a choice, why not do it? You are now attacked on sight by NPCs but you have access to a few "outlaw" outposts where you are safe. Some players can also flag themselves as defenders against outlaws. They can now fight outlaws on sight, but will be attacked by NPCs if they try entering any outlaw outposts. To make it clearer, outlaws can fight any other outlaws and defenders. Defenders can only fight outlaws.

New PVP land areas added. Make them just like the current game areas that are full of NPCs but PVP based. Have the territory controlled by 2 or 3 NPC factions, you align with one, and within that area you can fight the others for control of the forts, resources, towns, keeps, etc in those areas.

Yes? No? Yesno?

Comments

• FionFion Montour Falls, NYPosts: 2,351Member

I seriously doubt you'll be seeing world pvp any time soon, though a select server or two with it would be nice for those that love that. As to WvW, the latest patch has ranks and titles and such so while you don't see peoples name, folks higher up in the system will be visible as such. It's still early to see how it will play out, but it's a step in the right direction. There's also a leaderboard system going in (not yet visible as it collects data) so you'll be able to go after those folks at the top in tPvP and potentially WvW.

In terms of 'new' PvP forms, I think Guild vs Guild is the most likely to get implemented at some point. The PvP 'team' for live development is reportedly very small so this probably won't happen soon. That said, guilds are actively creating a GvG scene by contacting guilds on other servers and meeting up in a secluded spot in the Eternal Battlegrounds where the two guilds meet up and battle. It's not perfect but it's a start and can be really fun.

• neroistneroist Chatsworth, GAPosts: 24Member
    Here is my suggestion how GW2 can be better and not have most people who buy it quit just under 400 hours of playing. Put healers in the damn game. Put some raid content in the game. Put some battle zones in the game that give some PvE progression in the game .
  • Soki123Soki123 Kelowna, BCPosts: 1,479Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by neroist
    Here is my suggestion how GW2 can be better and not have most people who buy it quit just under 400 hours of playing. Put healers in the damn game. Put some raid content in the game. Put some battle zones in the game that give some PvE progression in the game .

Bingo, after a month of enjoyment, I realized the game is missing something. Thats pretty much it, it gets stale faster then un bagged bread.

• eye_meye_m Notta Chance, ABPosts: 3,133Member Uncommon

no. in fact, absolutely not.

Here is my suppliment to your idea. Make a new game. Use the qualities of GW2 that you like, and make OW-PvP.  GW2 is doing a great job at catering to the style that many people want including myself. I want them to focus on improving the existing dynamics, not adding new ones. The future games are the ones you should suggesting to become what you want.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

• Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member

For the person who suggested healers, no.  They aren't even needed.  Why put them in if they're not needed?  I agree the game needs some real progression, but then again I already think the game is pretty great as it is. 

Overworld PvP?  Honestly, I couldn't care less, so long as they made it only on certain servers/zones, but honestly, it will probably never happen as the game just isn't designed that way.

• AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTPosts: 4,778Member Uncommon

The name thing in WvWvW/sPvP would be fine with me. Honestly during most PvP I don't even have time to worry about their names! I can see where it would be nice to know your enemy but it isn't really necessary.

To me the game has more than enough to do without adding special servers, but then again I'm mostly an explorer/casual player. I love jumping into WvWvW now and again to try and get a few badge of honors. At the rate I get them though I won't be able to get any gear with them for a couple years! :)

All good ideas though! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KalestonKaleston TrinecPosts: 173Member

Open world PvP will never happen. Simple as that. Events scale with number of players... Let's say there is an event and there are 3 people in it. 2 outlaws and 1 PvE player. Now 2 more outlaws jump in and start fighting outlaws... Now you have 5 people event, where 4 people are not contributing, but fighting one another and poor 1 PvE player is faced against PvE enemy 5 times stronger than should be... This is how outlaws involve in not outlaws gameplay.

But on topic. I think gw2 was never meant to be LOVED. I still think they want to make it fairly casual game, where people like to go and do stuff, but never feel forced to do so. WvW is pretty much only hardcore aspect of the game. For me everything in this game screams casual... Even not including trinity (which is super for making groups, because you don't need tanks and healers to find). That's my PvE point of view anyway.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Columbus, OHPosts: 520Member

They don't give classes enough abilities when your build is complete. You can switch weapons but still end up with very few skills and it makes the game dull very fast. That and not being tangibly rewarded for anything you do is why me and a dozen RL friends quit before 1 month was up.

The game can stand on it's own 2 feet, which is an accomplishment given all the fails in the past 8 years, but I still consider GW2 one of the most overhyped/overrated games of all time. Aside from SWTOR of course.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,451Member Uncommon

Dumb idea for many reasons...

1. You are taking PvP focus outside of WvW and sPvP. That means less people PvPing in the current systems. 

2. Dev time would be needed and right now they have a lot to do keep people playing. Balance, monthly content, bug fixing and getting to that list of promised content like player housing.

3. What would be the point of doing this? What would they reward people for taking part? How much work/time would it take for the devs to come up with rewards for people playing this type of content? This seems like switching tracks when the rewards would be for one lone server.

4. We have a great PvP system that needs work. Why add to that list? Add reasons for people to want top defend their home maps, WvW events, add a DAoC Darkness Falls. WvW and sPvP should be their main concerns right now for the PvP community.

=-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,451Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

They don't give classes enough abilities when your build is complete. You can switch weapons but still end up with very few skills and it makes the game dull very fast. That and not being tangibly rewarded for anything you do is why me and a dozen RL friends quit before 1 month was up.

The game can stand on it's own 2 feet, which is an accomplishment given all the fails in the past 8 years, but I still consider GW2 one of the most overhyped/overrated games of all time. Aside from SWTOR of course.

You miss the point of the game. This is not a game where a carrot gets you to play the content. You play the content because its fun. MMOs over the years has trained many players to get on this gear treadmill of getting better loot to kill harder mobs to do the same cycle over and over and your not sure 3 years latter why you are doing it. Its time video games want back to fun! Why did I do that dungeon run? Because I like that dungeon. There is enough gear progression and item skins to keep you playing but its not the focus. 

The living story they just added is just the thing more MMOs need to do. I cant wait to see more of this living story!

=-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO SomewherePosts: 1,326Member
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

I like GW2, but I want to LOVE GW2. I do LOVE what they have done with NPCs and the events and such. I'm really enjoying it. But I think it needs meaningful server PVP to take it to the next level. The first thing they can do to ALL servers is make it so we can see names in WVWVW ;)

Now, onto my revolutionary game enhancing idea!

A new "hardcore" server is the first requirement. This server will be special.

You can flag yourself as an "outlaw" and pvp on your server against your server mates that also decided to be outlaws. It's a flag, it's a choice, why not do it? You are now attacked on sight by NPCs but you have access to a few "outlaw" outposts where you are safe. Some players can also flag themselves as defenders against outlaws. They can now fight outlaws on sight, but will be attacked by NPCs if they try entering any outlaw outposts. To make it clearer, outlaws can fight any other outlaws and defenders. Defenders can only fight outlaws.

New PVP land areas added. Make them just like the current game areas that are full of NPCs but PVP based. Have the territory controlled by 2 or 3 NPC factions, you align with one, and within that area you can fight the others for control of the forts, resources, towns, keeps, etc in those areas.

Yes? No? Yesno?

No, not back to 2 faction warfare, there nothing 'special' about it. I'd go for duels you can accept if you want to, but the whole faction warfare thing is really old, it's not revolutionary and I don't think adding imbalance is going to enhance the game experience any.

imageimage
  • TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

I just think controlling a zone is a lot more interesting than WvWvW or SPVP is at the moment. Especially if it gives you a rep on your server.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOPosts: 2,732Member

Add in non-human races instead of just having the Tree-humans, Cat-humans, Tall-humans and Human-Humans.

The Asura I liked.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,778Member Uncommon

while im not a trinity junky i can see how this could improve the game. As long as its a healing role, and not an actual class that only focuses on healing then im ok. Maybe a weapon with all healing skills so you can have a healing build and when you need to do some dps just swap to your second weapon and still have some healing utilities.

It would be much better that way, In my opinion.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower AustraliaPosts: 1,508Member Uncommon

Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Add in non-human races instead of just having the Tree-humans, Cat-humans, Tall-humans and Human-Humans.

The Asura I liked.

You mean the Gnome-Humans?

• KareliaKarelia HeraklionPosts: 668Member
    Originally posted by Fion

I seriously doubt you'll be seeing world pvp any time soon, though a select server or two with it would be nice for those that love that. As to WvW, the latest patch has ranks and titles and such so while you don't see peoples name, folks higher up in the system will be visible as such. It's still early to see how it will play out, but it's a step in the right direction. There's also a leaderboard system going in (not yet visible as it collects data) so you'll be able to go after those folks at the top in tPvP and potentially WvW.

In terms of 'new' PvP forms, I think Guild vs Guild is the most likely to get implemented at some point. The PvP 'team' for live development is reportedly very small so this probably won't happen soon. That said, guilds are actively creating a GvG scene by contacting guilds on other servers and meeting up in a secluded spot in the Eternal Battlegrounds where the two guilds meet up and battle. It's not perfect but it's a start and can be really fun.

then there is no return to the game for me. its a shame such a game to lack complete owpvp

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarrePosts: 3,548Member Uncommon

Oh look! Another "I pull numbers out of the blue because I think everybody acts like I do and likes the same WoW/EQ clones I do, and no other game" post.

Just a hint... ANet are HIRING people for GW2. Yeah, not firing some like Bioware did after the SW:TOR disaster (game which has raids and healers, btw...), but hiring more! Seems to be that GW2 is more successful than some of those "healers + raid" games you enjoy so much.

Just go play WoW or one of the clones of it, there are so many, among which quite good ones: WoW itself of course, but also LOTRO or Rift for instance. But leave GW2 alone, I'm sure you can live without playing the only AAA MMORPG released in these last 8 years that doesn't follow the WoW/EQ clone model.

I really don't understand the need of people to try to mold everything into the limits of their own imagination. When I don't like a game, I play another one. I don't try to turn Chess into Checkers.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2, The Crew, SotA

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO, SW:TOR and GW2.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• RizelStarRizelStar Raleigh, NCPosts: 2,773Member
    Originally posted by Manolios
    Originally posted by Fion

then there is no return to the game for me. its a shame such a game to lack complete owpvp

Then maybe you don't understand the game itself lol. It's a shame to think such a game like GW2 should have OWPVP when looking at the way it's designed, or did we not pay attention to details?

The OP's idea wasn't that bad by the way but a lot of things need to be considered.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• dimnikardimnikar ZanistanvillePosts: 271Member

OP has a nice idea, but GW2 needs a lot more than that to get people to play. I know it's anecdotal, but everyone I know who hailed GW2 as the MMO messiah quit playing months ago.

It just doesn't stick.

Honestly, I think Anet did their best and listened to the community a lot, but unforuntely, the loud minority wanted stuff that most found boring or lacking.

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarrePosts: 3,548Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by dimnikar

OP has a nice idea, but GW2 needs a lot more than that to get people to play. I know it's anecdotal, but everyone I know who hailed GW2 as the MMO messiah quit playing months ago.

It just doesn't stick.

Some people also believe that because their family, friend and neighboors all voted for Mitt Romney, Obama should never have won.

This is not a political argument in any way, it's just to show that "the people you know" aren't most of the times not even remotely close to represent a majority.

In the meantime, ANet have their website full of job offers for GW2. A company doesn't do that for a "dying" game.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2, The Crew, SotA

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO, SW:TOR and GW2.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• RizelStarRizelStar Raleigh, NCPosts: 2,773Member
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

It just doesn't stick.

Some people also believe that because their family, friend and neighboors all voted for Mitt Romney, Obama should never have won.

This is not a political argument in any way, it's just to show that "the people you know" aren't most of the times not even remotely close to represent a majority.

In the meantime, ANet have their website full of job offers for GW2. A company doesn't do that for a "dying" game.

+1 

I digg the comon sense.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

It just doesn't stick.

Everyone I know is still playing and loving it.  See what I can do?  Weeee!

• aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon

Dunno what the OP is talking about, but the game really only needs the following (imho):

1) Added guild functionality (more guild events, customizable guild halls, GvG, etc.)

2) Revamped sPvP. New PvP modes, spectator mode, custom servers, etc.

3) Updates to the current WvW dynamic. Change it so you can't res fully dead players (either at all, or while in combat / with a timer). More anti-zerging mechanics, either by upping supply useage for capped servers, or increasing the benefits of certain AoE.

4) Improve upon existing boss fights. Add new skill sets / improve upon existing ones. Make all the fights engaging, add phasing, etc.

5) Add alternative ways of getting legendaries (i.e. world-wide scavenger hunts).

Many of these things are already being worked on. The only other thing not on the list that I think needs to happen is an expansion. They're being very reserved about putting one out, but I think one needs to happen within the next year or so.

Originally posted by aesperus

3) Updates to the current WvW dynamic. Change it so you can't res fully dead players (either at all, or while in combat / with a timer). More anti-zerging mechanics, either by upping supply useage for capped servers, or increasing the benefits of certain AoE.

4) Improve upon existing boss fights. Add new skill sets / improve upon existing ones. Make all the fights engaging, add phasing, etc.

These two mixed together remind me of my old suggestion... give world event bosses some kind of timer, rage or otherwise, that makes it possible to fail them.  I know that would just burst some people's bubbles but oh well, I'd personally rather have a challenge than just gather together into a big group knowing damn well I'm going home with something.  It's a happy medium between that and spending hours just trying to get people to communicate for an "organized" raid.

If needs be, ANet could even sweeten the pot by making the loot better than usual.  It might offset the inevitable whining.

• aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by aesperus

These two mixed together remind me of my old suggestion... give world event bosses some kind of timer, rage or otherwise, that makes it possible to fail them.  I know that would just burst some people's bubbles but oh well, I'd personally rather have a challenge than just gather together into a big group knowing damn well I'm going home with something.  It's a happy medium between that and spending hours just trying to get people to communicate for an "organized" raid.

If needs be, ANet could even sweeten the pot by making the loot better than usual.  It might offset the inevitable whining.

Definitely a cool idea.

What I had in mind was more along the lines of what they did w/ Claw of Jormag. Have the fights change dynamics as you do more damage to the boss. For example, Shadow Behemoth. Really cool boss, but atm all he really does is cycle between portals and dropping crystals from the sky.

They could probably do something where once he gets closer to like ~60% hp or something, his attacks change. Maybe he starts spewing out mass amounts of shadow demons. Maybe he has a giant pull attack that pulls everyone towards him into a high damage follow up attack.

The fights are alright as they are, but I definitely think they could do more to make them more engaging / interesting.