Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hated WOW because I was told to hate WOW!

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by delete5230
    Originally posted by ace5572

If you played WoW when it first came out you would understand. It wasn't as much of a challenge as say EQ or UO was but atleast they (Blizzard) kind of challenged you. Now WoW is just some dumbed-down piece of crap. That aside, wheres the customization? Every piece of armor looks the same and is the same color.

Also you can't look past all the obvious cash grabs. 20 dollars for a mount? Are you serious? ARE YOU SERIOUS!? But...but.....its a unicorn!

Thanks for being part of the "lesser crowd" and giving an evil corporation (Activision who owns Blizzard) more money to ruin more videogames.

This guy is right.........The game is crap now !

To some people..

I played WoW at Vanilla and during each and every expansion. For my tastes and the way I play MMOs now, WoW is in a much better state than it ever was.

As for all the armor looking the same in WoW.. that's gotta be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by ace5572

If you played WoW when it first came out you would understand. It wasn't as much of a challenge as say EQ or UO was but atleast they (Blizzard) kind of challenged you. Now WoW is just some dumbed-down piece of crap. That aside, wheres the customization? Every piece of armor looks the same and is the same color.

Also you can't look past all the obvious cash grabs. 20 dollars for a mount? Are you serious? ARE YOU SERIOUS!? But...but.....its a unicorn!

Thanks for being part of the "lesser crowd" and giving an evil corporation (Activision who owns Blizzard) more money to ruin more videogames.

Why would you spend $20 on a mount? They are readily available in the game for free.

Also, WTF are you talking about with the armor? WoW has some of the MOST diverse models of any game ever made by a HUGE margin. There are 50 characters in Org right now, and not ONE of them is wearing the same armor as another.

Conclusion? Above poster has never played WoW.

• steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434
    There's alot of haters out there, but WoW really wasn't a bad game.

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168
    I haven't played WoW since WOTLK, but for what it's worth I never hated it like (generalization) everyone else. In fact, it's the only game I actuallyhave gone back for to play for a while. None of the other MMOs I've tried after have managed to do that. Unfortunately, age took my time away from raiding.
  • defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by silverseed71
    Congrats to me for following the lesser gaming crowd! I don't even have a level 20 on WOW and I am hooked! I have anxiety and depression and I played City of Heroes from the start and it helped my condition. World of Warcraft has picked up where COH closed. I enjoy this game and it's beauty! I enjoy the game just walking around !!!!

they are the biggest, if u add all other MMOs from 1998 till now the players that hate wow are far more than u can imagine

a game with big number of subs doesnt mean that are the more MMO community, it just means that the specific game has more followers as a title

anyway 2nd life and world of tanks have far more players from wow, 2nd life years now has

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Rzep
    Play what you want, don't listen to others. A simple rule I go by, especially when it comes to mmos. The odd thing about mmo gamers is that once they get bored of the game even after 5000h+ the game magically turns to shit. Immediatly once they are burned out they have some sort of revelation that what they have been playing is just about the worst thing in gaming. It's odd and a bit sad. I played WoW for 2 years, I got bored, I stopped. I never felt the need to bash it or somehow turn my fond memories into seething hate.

I totally agree with you.

But I think any grinding* will cause eventual hate.

If you can play an MMORPG without grinding, you've cracked it.

* Grinding = a repetative or boring activity with the aim of acheiving success.

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

Wow as an mmo isn't bad a lot of us hate it for what it did to the genre.

It took all the good ideas from earlier mmorpg and packaged them in an easier both in hardware requirements and intelligence requirements box, your mother really could play wow.

It created an example of quantity over quality that caused investment in new ideas and developers to reduce by a huge amount, all the fund managers reasonably wanted to invest in a wow clone.

This all caused a down shift in taking chances and new ideas,  wow also introduced systems later on which created a gamescape with no effort involved and a sense of entitlement that players feel every game should have these mechanics like dungeon finder. Good or Bad Wow happened and some people hate it.

Wow/blizzard was also the first company to hire a team of psychologists to "streamline" new feature make them as addictive as possible.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

"I hated .... because I was told to hate ...!"

Sounds like the average target audience of this shallow overhyped and clunky grinder.

Did Mr.T convince you?

You know what  I find funny? Say someone goes out and buys MMO X even though everyone tells them that MMO X sucks. Then they come to the forums and QQ and then they WILL be told on the forums that they SHOULD HAVE listened to people and should have never bought the game in the first place and that it was entirely their fault that they bought MMO X even though everyone told them it sucked. But now we have people telling a poster that they should not listen to anyone and go try it for themselves.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....which is it?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

"I hated .... because I was told to hate ...!"

Sounds like the average target audience of this shallow overhyped and clunky grinder.

Did Mr.T convince you?

You know what  I find funny? Say someone goes out and buys MMO X even though everyone tells them that MMO X sucks. Then they come to the forums and QQ and then they WILL be told on the forums that they SHOULD HAVE listened to people and should have never bought the game in the first place and that it was entirely their fault that they bought MMO X even though everyone told them it sucked. But now we have people telling a poster that they should not listen to anyone and go try it for themselves.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....which is it?

Well first of all if you cant afford to buy a game and not like it then you shouldnt be playing.

Second, Why the fuck would I care what someone else says about a game?  Especially when they can't even explain why. I can form my own opinion.

Here's a question that might help you out...

Who is the bigger idiot?  The one who tells you to do something stupid?  Or the one who listens?

• BloodyJawBloodyJaw Member Posts: 5

Well, funny, but I've started to kinda hate wow not bcs of someone else, but because myself. I've been a WoW player for a looong time, I've seen many changes in the game, always somehow accepted it. But since MoP came out, I have strange feelings. I just dont get the same fun out of the game as before. So many things changed, so many things got easier and easier. And, what I see as the biggest problem, community is slowly dying too. It's not the same community as before. More and more people like machinima makers etc. just quit wow, and I can trully understand them. Cuz I did too. I just think that things Blizz did to WoW are not for good, these changes make the game worse. It's trying to keep us in it as long as possible, but not with anything entertaining, it's all boring and repetiteve. Do HCs, for a month, so you can start doing LFR ( again, month or so ) so you can finally do normal Raids! But wait! It's doesn't matter, cuz you still have to do LFR's cuz they have tons of gear good for you, and you have week limit, so it will take even more time as before! Argh, srsly, WTF? Is THIS meant to be fun? I don't think so, I think it's meant to be LONG as hell, so we have to play as much as it's humanly possible. And that's mostly why I quit. Even tho people are still saying that's it's the best expansion since TBC blah blah blah... No, it's not, and it will never be. End of the sory.

P.S. note, that THIS is my PERSONAL OPINION and you can fully disagree with it. Thank you, go with honor!

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by BloodyJaw

Well, funny, but I've started to kinda hate wow not bcs of someone else, but because myself. I've been a WoW player for a looong time, I've seen many changes in the game, always somehow accepted it. But since MoP came out, I have strange feelings. I just dont get the same fun out of the game as before. So many things changed, so many things got easier and easier. And, what I see as the biggest problem, community is slowly dying too. It's not the same community as before. More and more people like machinima makers etc. just quit wow, and I can trully understand them. Cuz I did too. I just think that things Blizz did to WoW are not for good, these changes make the game worse. It's trying to keep us in it as long as possible, but not with anything entertaining, it's all boring and repetiteve. Do HCs, for a month, so you can start doing LFR ( again, month or so ) so you can finally do normal Raids! But wait! It's doesn't matter, cuz you still have to do LFR's cuz they have tons of gear good for you, and you have week limit, so it will take even more time as before! Argh, srsly, WTF? Is THIS meant to be fun? I don't think so, I think it's meant to be LONG as hell, so we have to play as much as it's humanly possible. And that's mostly why I quit. Even tho people are still saying that's it's the best expansion since TBC blah blah blah... No, it's not, and it will never be. End of the sory.

P.S. note, that THIS is my PERSONAL OPINION and you can fully disagree with it. Thank you, go with honor!

Now THIS post makes sense.   This is why he doesn't play the game (as opposed to just saying it sucks and needs to die).  I can respect this.

And I agree - the minute a game is no longer entertaining is the minute I stop playing.

To the OP: I would say WoW is meant to be fun for those who enjoy what it offers.  And that audience is going to continuously change.   

As for me.  I'm actually new to WoW and started with MoP.  Personally having a blast.  Will I play it for years?  I don't care. As soon as something else that I enjoy more catches my attention I'll be playing that.  But even then I still wont be hatin' ;-)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I never listened to people when it came to WoW.  I knew my friends thought it was garbage (without having ever played it, mind you), but I watched the South Park episode and found it hilarious.  Plus GW1 bored the HELL out of me.  So I gave WoW a try and stuck around for years.

NOW I hate it.  Well... not really hate, but I can't go back.  It's been years since the game resembled the one I fell in love with.  People move on.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I think it varies from individual to individual. I am very strong headed so i don't give a damn if someone tells me to hate or love something. That is something i decide for myself. But as far as this website goes if i start listening to people here there is not a single MMO worth playing because everythign sucks.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Sorry for double post.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Congrats to me for following the lesser gaming crowd! I don't even have a level 20 on WOW and I am hooked! I have anxiety and depression and I played City of Heroes from the start and it helped my condition. World of Warcraft has picked up where COH closed. I enjoy this game and it's beauty! I enjoy the game just walking around !!!!

Good for you then. WoW for all its faults (which are legion at this point) is a good game up to level cap (currently 90).  I started in late beta, and I have two 90's and seven 85's.  I quite enjoy aspects of the game.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Originally posted by defector1968

they are the biggest, if u add all other MMOs from 1998 till now the players that hate wow are far more than u can imagine

a game with big number of subs doesnt mean that are the more MMO community, it just means that the specific game has more followers as a title

anyway 2nd life and world of tanks have far more players from wow, 2nd life years now has

How do you know what people from 1998 until now are thinking? Did you do some sort of census? I'd love to see the results of that. I'm sure in your imagination all of those people hate WoW. Here is a thought for you. A lot of people do not waste time or energy hating a game. They simply move on.

The fact that you even brought up second life makes me laugh. You might as well add IMVU and Facebook in there as well.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by GreenHell

How do you know what people from 1998 until now are thinking? Did you do some sort of census? I'd love to see the results of that. I'm sure in your imagination all of those people hate WoW. Here is a thought for you. A lot of people do not waste time or energy hating a game. They simply move on.

The fact that you even brought up second life makes me laugh. You might as well add IMVU and Facebook in there as well.

Yes, your right, millions have moved on, and that number is in the millions................ Thousands more stick around and hate. 

It would not be hated as bad if they just added instead of changing.

2nd life lol. Why not add LOL, Farmville and Runescape also to the list then?

Comparing a P2P MMO to F2P garbage is such a fair comparison to make your point right? *rolls eyes*

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

You enjoy the beauty of this game just walking around? Wow, good for you! I personally can't bear to watch WoW graphics for long though, I guess I'm spoilt. I can imagine a few things appealing to the gaming crowd, but the beauty of the game, that's a surprise.

imageimage
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by wormed
    Originally posted by steamtank

i al;most shelled out the money for MoP... but i cherished vanilla WoW and have hated the direction the game has gone with each expansion.

thank goodness my wallet talked me out of an eventual letdown.

Yup. Us Vanilla/TBC WoW lovers are only going to be letdown. The negatives of TBC have just been amplified.

Disagree, Mists is actually a throw back to a lot of Burning crusade design philosophies.

Content is challenging again, you can't entirely skip raids to catch up, Mists is the best thing since BC.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by wormed
    Originally posted by steamtank

i al;most shelled out the money for MoP... but i cherished vanilla WoW and have hated the direction the game has gone with each expansion.

thank goodness my wallet talked me out of an eventual letdown.

Yup. Us Vanilla/TBC WoW lovers are only going to be letdown. The negatives of TBC have just been amplified.

Disagree, Mists is actually a throw back to a lot of Burning crusade design philosophies.

Content is challenging again, you can't entirely skip raids to catch up, Mists is the best thing since BC.

MoP is alot harder than any of the other expansions.  I think Vanilla was so hard because we really didn't have the knowledge we do now.  Alot of people could play blindfolded.  I never died that much until MoP came out lol.  In heroic, if someone makes a mistake, it usually means a wipe...if that's not hard, then I guess I'll never get it.

Edit: heck, even in the old 5.0 raids when I'm helping my guild's non-core group, we wipe sometimes.  Granted they're not as good as working as a group as our core raid groups, but still, it makes cata seem like a level 1-5 difficulty lol.

• BloodyJawBloodyJaw Member Posts: 5
    I'm sorry, Gravarg, but... No, MoP is NOT hard at any point, especially HC Dungeons. I can do HCs while checking my FB wall, same with LFR. These are freaking easy as sh*t. These 2 kinds of instances don't require any knowledge at all, because damage is too low, especially comparing to your gear. I'm a healer, and can do LFR while being literally AFK... I'm serious. Only HC raids are hard, but these are meant to be hard as hell. But what about the rest? You don't focus on your goal at all, because it's easy and boring. Go and do some LFR, come back and tell me how it went. I'm sure no one will say it was HARD or REALLY CHALLENGING, because it was NOT. Vanilla was hard, because you had to know the tactic and stick to it, which was hard these days. Now, I didnt even know about any boss when I first did LFR, and we did it anyway. Look at the damage these spells do to you. AOE Lightning storm from ToeS = you can stand in it, because it will take 1/3 OF YOUR HP! Wtf? Srsly, WoW went to casuality so much... It's not enjoyable anymore.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    It actually isn't a bad game it's just been out for awhile and already experienced by many who are looking for something else. Cata+ ruined it for me and even Wrath (gameplay wise not lore wise) I haven't spent any money on MoP but get the occasional 7 days free offer which is enough to experience enough.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• plutosamsplutosams Member UncommonPosts: 50
    I am with you.   I have avoided the game for many years because I was supposed to hate it and just joined the bandwagon.  After being burned out on a few mmos I decided to give it a try a few weeks ago...and I love it.  The ambience, the music, the graphics (yes I enjoy them even though they are dated, stylistic art helps a lot).  I know I am way late to the game, but I am having fun and ultimately that is what matters to me.  The only difficult part is trying to not be intimidated by how much content I have to clear to "catch-up".  
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

You enjoy the beauty of this game just walking around? Wow, good for you! I personally can't bear to watch WoW graphics for long though, I guess I'm spoilt. I can imagine a few things appealing to the gaming crowd, but the beauty of the game, that's a surprise.

Game has its own beauty when it comes to art style. Wildstar is going for same look and i really like its art style too.

Is it really that hard to understand  not everyone likes the same things in life? some prefer realistic graphics while others prefer WOW style graphics. We all are different in our tastes.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney