Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heart Warming News for the Anticipating.

fogged2fogged2 Member Posts: 11

Comments

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Yeah, watched a day or 2 ago and couldn't remember where I saw it, thought it was here and taken down...Was looking for my comments on it.

I really like what I heard, a fully fleshed out game world, not a hack and slash shallow world.

How he thinks the hack and slash romps are fun, but they are not where you want to stay and develop your characters, and why many titles are having longevity issues.  We won't know till we see it, but it gives some hope.  About 4 months till we see something!

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I'm saving my enthusiasm. I want to see what they show us in August. I honestly hope it is new and innovative, and not just a typical themepark that we've been seeing the past years. Hope they get back to more sanbox features and knock it out of the park to set a new standard for mmo's and let everyone know once and for all, WoW clones and poorly made mmo's (looking at you Rift, Warhammer, and SWTOR) need to go.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Yes yes yes, that guy understand what a mmorpg should be. You have to watch the last 2 minutes of the interview too.

No no no, now you made my expectations too high haha. It sure sound too good to be true.

I sure hope Eq next will land somewhere in the direction he is talking about, we really need someone to show us a mmorpg with good old virtues combined with modern concepts.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    I'm confused, do you guys treat EQ1 like it was a Sandbox MMO? Because it wasn't.
  • evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

eq1 back when it was released was closer to a sandbox than any of the big titles to come out...really since WoW.

that being said, eq1 was the first theme park mmo with any measure of success. here's hoping sony takes the good ideas from all of their games (yes, including SWG) as well as a few new ones and puts them together, making something unique for eqNext. there are a few games i am looking forward to and eqNext is near the top, hopefully after the reveal it stays high on the list.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

EQ was the original themepark.  WoW, it could be said, was the original EQ clone.

That said, I think a lot of the 'MMO'ers' who weren't around back then, and are clamoring for 'sandbox' MMOs today, would have definitely enjoyed old school themeparks such as EQ much more than what the term has come to mean today.

Still,, I'm waiting for the next UO.  EQ Next is another 'wait and see' for me.  But they sure are hyping it up.

• voigtvoigt Member Posts: 23
    I am not exactly sure what Themepark means if EQ1 was a themepark, I do not recall ever doing any questlines or going to quest hubs.  I went out into the world traveled from Faydwer to Odus killing monsters for loot and exp.  It wasn't until several expansions later that they really started adding quests, and even then I rarely did one other than my Epic weapon.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I'm cautiously optimistic, but at the same time I'm intrigued to see how SOE are going to introduce "sandbox" concepts to the modern MMO audience. This modern MMO audience who largely seem to have no experience of classic sandbox gameplay, and  who, by all accounts, are not interested in it.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    If EQNext can't bring back the "world" into MMOs I am probably finished with this genre. I am tired of all those AAA MMOs and also have no more patience for the "beta" MMOs developed by independant small companies.

I'm confused. Just because there isnt a directional quest hub leading you means it was a Sandbox Game? Yes, EQ had exploration. But you were still forced to grind. "Well, I can't fight the monsters in this zone, I better grind monsters I can actually kill"

In fact, I could argue EQ1 wasnt even that Sandbox for it's time, it's just the exploration tricked you in an immersive way. You could do whatever you want.. Just like other MMOs. Unless you aren't high enough level. Which could be the case in EQ1 too. Being forced to group up to grind for effeciency -- 99% of EQ1 was grinding. You can say WoW is more Sandbox than EQ1. You can level from PvP, from questing, from instances. EQ it was grind grind grind.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by hMJem

I'm confused. Just because there isnt a directional quest hub leading you means it was a Sandbox Game? Yes, EQ had exploration. But you were still forced to grind. "Well, I can't fight the monsters in this zone, I better grind monsters I can actually kill"

In fact, I could argue EQ1 wasnt even that Sandbox for it's time, it's just the exploration tricked you in an immersive way. You could do whatever you want.. Just like other MMOs. Unless you aren't high enough level. Which could be the case in EQ1 too. Being forced to group up to grind for effeciency -- 99% of EQ1 was grinding. You can say WoW is more Sandbox than EQ1. You can level from PvP, from questing, from instances. EQ it was grind grind grind.

in general going from qeusthub to questhub is pretty much the defenition off Themepark. they can make it how cool they want it but it is still putting you on rails. yes you can leave those rails but there is really no point in doing that.

EQ1 looking at that defenition is not themepark. but sanbox lover will not call it a sandbox either because u cannot build stuff etc.

Eq1 was a immersive open world MMO you can go wherever u want and do whatever u wanted to do. wich is a great feature. Yes it has grind. but every MMO has grind. Doing questhub after questhub hey look your grinding, your grinding quests.

The mobgrinding issnt so bad if you have somethign wich takes your mind of of it. aka a party wich you hang out with and enjoy the game with. i never once tought that i was grinding anything. sure we where but we did not percieve it as such.

anyway based from what has been said in that intervieuw. I really hope they can pull it off.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

HOLY C**P

Someone who likes community and knows that action games aren't the solution.

Maybe I'll get back into EQ again with EQNext.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    I'm cautiously optimistic, but at the same time I'm intrigued to see how SOE are going to introduce "sandbox" concepts to the modern MMO audience. This modern MMO audience who largely seem to have no experience of classic sandbox gameplay, and  who, by all accounts, are not interested in it.

I agree. It will be interesting to see if Smed can pull off a game like this. It will really depend on what sandbox elements he puts in there. I don't hate Smed or SOE. The past is the past but I really need to see something solid before I believe anything he says. So cautiously optomistic it is.

You can do anything you wanted in EQ-- If you were high enough level. You werent going to any zone you wanted and doing stuff there. You can do the same thing in WoW -- Run around to higher level zones, but you'll get stomped there.

Even in EQ1 there is an "Effecient" grinding path to max level. I dont know, I'm not bashing but Everquest 1 wasn't sandbox just because you could explore the world -- You were still restricted. And the xp loss for death meant you definitely weren't gonna try something you werent sure abou

And agreed, it'll be interesting to see how Smed can pull it off. Or not pull it off, since they said the future of SOE pretty much relies on Everquest Next's success. We'll see if people have the patience or attention span for something not quick and easy. Although millions play League of Legends which are long games.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by xeniar

Eq1 was a immersive open world MMO you can go wherever u want and do whatever u wanted to do. wich is a great feature. Yes it has grind. but every MMO has grind. Doing questhub after questhub hey look your grinding, your grinding quests.

You couldn't quite go everywhere and do what you wanted - you were level locked out of content. If you went to Lower Guk at lvl 10 (pretty much impossible as you would die in upper guk) the only thing you could do is die.

Anything that was +5 levels above the player was unkillable.

So EQ1 you had to grind mobs that were level appropriate for you.

me and a friend once in EQOA ran from the most northern part of the continent to the most southern part at lvl 15. it was a chalange for us trying to not get caught by the NPC's running around.

Just that something issnt easely reachable does not mean you are locked out. Granted some places ofc u cannot visit but /care? So you want a game wherein there are no levels so basicly u start with well no goal to work towards? i wish u alot of luck with that.

even at max level we died in lower Guk because that place wich just freaking dangorous. and the only reason we went in there was because i spotted a cavelike entrance while strolling around that area.  Every MMO has grinding of some sorts.

if we are talkign WoW terms u are literaly grinding questhub after questhub to level up. and then when u are finnaly done u start to grind dungeons to get gear. or Grind battleground to get get and when ur done with that. youl grind raids to again get gear. the whole game is a freaking grind tbh.

Grinding issnt a bad thing. Solo grinding tho is the most boring shit ever.

You can run across Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms in WoW too at a low level if you choose to.

How did this turn into a sandbox themepark discussion?

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by voigt
    I am not exactly sure what Themepark means if EQ1 was a themepark, I do not recall ever doing any questlines or going to quest hubs.  I went out into the world traveled from Faydwer to Odus killing monsters for loot and exp.  It wasn't until several expansions later that they really started adding quests, and even then I rarely did one other than my Epic weapon.

Obviously missed the mail quest from the high elf city to the tree elves... But yeah, no quests there...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

You remember travelling from starter zones to the next zone, to the next....etc.

As you said the zones had a progression that while not as railroaded as modern MMOs was still very much linear.  You followed a set of zones in order, it was impossible to move ahead and do anything as you would just die (you could run through the zones in most cases yes, but passing through to reach another appropriate zone isn't freedom to do anything, anywhere).  Quests do not make a themepark, a guided experience does.  This became more apparant as they added later expansions and content literaly became Zone A>B>C>D>E>RaidA>B>C>D.

Don't get me wrong I loved EQ, but it is a guided experience and there is little you can do outside the experience envisioned.  It may not feel as claustrophobic as modern games (Rift I am looking at you!), but that is another discussion about choice in MMOs.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Slampig

Obviously missed the mail quest from the high elf city to the tree elves... But yeah, no quests there...

eq had few quests but they were more a way to make cash -- than to gain level experience

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

Ok, EQ was never a sandbox game.  In general, "sandbox" means that the players can change the game world in some way.  In EQ you could not do that.  The game world was a static, unchanging stage. 

It was definately a themepark game but it was different from later themepark games in that it didn't "hold your hand" and tell you what to do and where to go.  It felt more open and free simply because you were left to figure things out for yourself, find things for yourself, and make your own decisions about what to do.

I really wish I could believe that EQ next will turn out to be an improvement on that original EQ design with some actual sandbox features added to it.  But I have no faith in SOE at all.  I fully expect that it will be just another generic, craptastic themepark of the modern type but probably with some customizable looks for equipment or something you can buy from the cashshop which will turn out to be what they meant by "sandbox style" features.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by kjempff

Because some people cant understand that its possible to be neither.

EQ might have had loose themepark elements, but it certainly was not a themepark.  Maybe around DoDH with the mission progression chains and the later expansions with clear gear tiers you could call EQ themeparky, but until then it certainly couldnt be called one.

It wasnt a sandbox either.  It was EQ.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by hMJem

All depend on what a person think a themepark and sandbox are there isnt realy a standard on these two think. For me Themeparks games are like a rollercoaster set of rails that takes you to the end with very little freedom. Sandbox on the other hand offer alot more freedom.

For me i consider Everquest more sandbox than themepark 75% sandbox 25% themepark. For example a evil iskar not welcome to any other races town can acualy get good faction hits to the point where they can enter other races towns although usuealy other faction will take a negative hit so you may become KoS to your own race city. You can also make urself friendly with NPC that will usualy kill you on site for example killing elf guards/npc will work your faction up with crushbone orcs and the darkelf city while reducing ur faction with all other elves.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Neanderthal

Ok, EQ was never a sandbox game.  In general, "sandbox" means that the players can change the game world in some way.  In EQ you could not do that.  The game world was a static, unchanging stage. 

It was definately a themepark game but it was different from later themepark games in that it didn't "hold your hand" and tell you what to do and where to go.  It felt more open and free simply because you were left to figure things out for yourself, find things for yourself, and make your own decisions about what to do.

I really wish I could believe that EQ next will turn out to be an improvement on that original EQ design with some actual sandbox features added to it.  But I have no faith in SOE at all.  I fully expect that it will be just another generic, craptastic themepark of the modern type but probably with some customizable looks for equipment or something you can buy from the cashshop which will turn out to be what they meant by "sandbox style" features.

Bit in orange, if i recall correctly players change the world in someway by creating a market place in the East command land tunnels where people went to trade/barter there good to each other.

Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by kjempff

Because some people cant understand that its possible to be neither.

EQ might have had loose themepark elements, but it certainly was not a themepark.  Maybe around DoDH with the mission progression chains and the later expansions with clear gear tiers you could call EQ themeparky, but until then it certainly couldnt be called one.

It wasnt a sandbox either.  It was EQ.

Hehe thank you. Would be nice if we could stop labelling every game in these narrow categories, and people don't even agree on the defintions of themepark and sandbox anyway.