Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar is going to be a big hit!

Comments

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Originally posted by funcon
    I have a feeling, this game is really gonna be big. Bigger than Rift and GW2. And will be bigger than Elder Scrolls Online. It will challenge ArcheAge for the 2nd biggest MMORPG behind WoW.

Sorry champ but I'm not spending money on your gut feeling. 

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by tintilinic
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by Wraithon

Who knows what game they will axe next?

A game that doesnt do good. Its a no brainer. I approve of their approach, MMO should die as imo going to maintenance mode and milking/nickle&diming is a far worse faith for an MMO.

Some would call it living dead.

"That doesn't do good" Is my point.  It tends to be entirely subjective when it comes to NCsoft and western games.  Its to the point that any western studio that would have them for a publisher has to be naive/ignorant and/or desperate. None of those are a good sign for a studio or their potential players.

Mix that in with Nexon being one of their major investors these days, and it doesn't look good.

Eh? How it is subjective? They have their standard and if game falls below that it goes down the crapper. They dont drag it out and try to squeeze every penny out of their players while investing almost zero in a game.

You can disagree and have husks of MMOs that are a maintenance mode and suck money of few people that play them.

Your last sentence there kinda shows the lack of sense in shutting down a game in maintenance mode... The 'money sucking' means the game is still profitable and the 'few people' that play the game are doing so because they enjoy it. Where is the sense in upsetting those fans AND losing money in the process?
    In the case of the elephant in the room (CoX) the fans proved it was still turning a profit when NC Soft shut it down. The decision made little sense, was not explained and showed a complete disregard for their customers. There is nothing at all 'good' about that.

With regards to Wildstar I am wary of Nexon's influence on NCSoft... It had quite an impact on GW2's cash shop, especially with those horrific lottery boxes containing limited edition items at a 0.00000001% drop chance during events. *shudder*

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by mrbungle419

A game that doesnt do good. Its a no brainer. I approve of their approach, MMO should die as imo going to maintenance mode and milking/nickle&diming is a far worse faith for an MMO.

Some would call it living dead.

Like SoE games?

offtopic:

SOE, despite its faults, pumps out new content for EQ1 / EQ2 -- both have annual expansions and content patches

Vanguard is the only exception im aware of

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by m0lly

heh well that is my friend very underrated number for players, if even few years old tera have 1.2 million players.

basicly what vanilla wow creators have done here is to import world of warcraft in space and as blizzard never wanted to make world of starcraft here is wildstar. so no way this game is going to be let to dust.

What? Besides the accounts != players as was pointed out to you before, notice that I said settle. After the launch that will likely hit between 1-2m the settle number are the ones who stick around, and for any game that is not WoW, its rather good. Consider that WoW only has 3m subs in the west, and a fair number of the same developers that have been working on Wildstar are those who worked on WoW when it had its largest numbers in the west (upwards of 6m) and they are adding in all of those social things, like class interdependancy, that Blizzard stipped out and it seems like a pretty fair guess.

Originally posted by Alberel
    In the case of the elephant in the room (CoX) the fans proved it was still turning a profit when NC Soft shut it down. The decision made little sense, was not explained and showed a complete disregard for their customers. There is nothing at all 'good' about that.

The community never showed that it was profitable, merely that revenue was up. They are not the same thing. Also something you should consider is that some companies run at a negative, even for long periods of time, for a variety of reasons. Last I checked EQ and EQ2 do not actually show up on the revenue reports, they get lumped into "Misc" so just how much they make, or how much they cost are not public information. After watching the "future of gaming" panel from Pax East its rather clear that even if they are costing money (within reason) they would still be kept open.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Wild Star looks excellent and with a good af campaign it may be a hit. I do think TESO has the IP advantage. These two have the most potential to grab a large audience. AA is excellent looking but I do not see it getting out to the mainstream non MMO player base. WoW did this through a user friendly game and genious advertising. TESO has it's IP and WS has the user friendly look.
  • aceofmmosaceofmmos Member Posts: 17
    I have a feeling, this game is really gonna be big. Bigger than Rift and GW2. And will be bigger than Elder Scrolls Online. It will challenge ArcheAge for the 2nd biggest MMORPG behind WoW.

^^ this

• mysticjbyrdmysticjbyrd Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Originally posted by Nikopol

This kinda reminds me off EQ2 vs WOW back in the day, when most people thought EQ2 was the sh*t and WOW looked too cartoony and childish and had no chance at all... Turns out cartoony isn't exactly a dealbreaker for most.

Of course that doesn't have to mean WildStar will come out on top - because, let's not forget, WOW had the IP going for it as TESO does now.

The TES ip is nowhere near as big as the Warcaft ip was before launch though.

No way, I would say they are about equal, if not in ES's favor. 

Blizzard and warcraft was not a household name until WoW
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Elder Scrolls Online has the IP going for it, all sorts of people know about it compared to WildStar. Although I'm looking forward to W* myself, I think it needs to gain some momentum in the marketing field to get decent initial sales.

True. I might try TESO but I think its gonna flop, and flop hard like SWTOR. WildStar is bringing back the seamless world and WoW like feel to it. With the world (planet Nexus) open for pvp in contested zones, gonna be pretty cool. I don't see TESO doing this. It will be way to instanced like SWTOR. It is going to have 1 server lol. Can you imagine the thousands of instances the game is going to have? It does have the IP and 3 faction battle royal thing going for it though.

What does this mean exactly?  Why won't you see opposing factions?

Originally posted by mysticjbyrd

No way, I would say they are about equal, if not in ES's favor. Blizzard and warcraft was not a household name until WoW

Warcraft itself is pretty arguable, it did very well for itself, especially with spinning off into Dota. But Blizzard itself with Starcraft, and Diablo most certainly was. The Blizzard fanboy machine was going strong even back then.

It means that in pve you will never see the other 2 factions. The only time you get to see them is in Cyrodil.

No way, I would say they are about equal, if not in ES's favor. Blizzard and warcraft was not a household name until WoW

Warcraft itself is pretty arguable, it did very well for itself, especially with spinning off into Dota. But Blizzard itself with Starcraft, and Diablo most certainly was. The Blizzard fanboy machine was going strong even back then.

It means that in pve you will never see the other 2 factions. The only time you get to see them is in Cyrodil.

I was a blizz fan boy, kinda still am i guess.  But there wasn't any huge following for Warcraft as far as I know. 

Best selling blizzard games

1. Diablo II (17 million)
    2. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction [expansion pack] (17,5 million)
    3. World of Warcraft (10.7 million subscribers) StarCraft including Brood War expansion (9.5 million)
    1. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne [expansion pack] (5 million)
    2. Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness (1 million)

Franchisesimage[2]

Warcraft 1,2,3 sales total 9 million
    1. Warcraft (19 million) [3]

<a rel="nofollow" autonumber="" exitstitial"="" data-cke-saved-href="http://www.blizzard.com/us/press/080628.html"; href="http://www.blizzard.com/us/press/080628.html">PS:  Why won't you see the oppossing factions though?

I was a blizz fan boy, kinda still am i guess.  But there wasn't any huge following for Warcraft as far as I know. 

3. World of Warcraft (10.7 million subscribers) StarCraft including Brood War expansion (9.5 million)

Franchisesimage[2]

Sure, now take those number and adjust for inflation, oh and while you are at it consider that Skyrim was also released on console. The numbers cannot be based entirely on sales is my point.

As for factions, cause the devs said so? Each faction is stuck in thier zone until 50, and only then can choose a second allaince to visit (phased and leveled to you) and once that is completed can you go to the third. Cyrodil being the exception, which you can go to at level 10.
    Ok thx.  When you visit at 50, can you see characters of oppossing factions?
  • VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79

Franchisesimage[2]

I find it funny that you compare 1994-2004 sales to 2012 sales.

Didn't you play back then? Because Warcraft/starcraft/diablo franchises were the biggest franchises at the time, lol. If gaming was as big back then as it is now, they would had sold more than skyrim right now ever sold.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    housing looks amazing but honestly the cartoony look with no huge IP to back it up will hurt the game a lot imho.. i'm going to try it for sure but don't think it's going to be huge.. we shall see but my guess TESO will draw a lot more people in based on IP alone.

Well, only rare IP i cared of is Aoc and Swtor. For wow never cared. But love wow and cartoony look. Same goes for Wildstrar, which looks incredibly fun. 

And more good games are out there, more options are. But sometimes to many options are also not good. .-)

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

"Blizzard and warcraft was not a household name until WoW"  What!!!!! I cant believe i just read that.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Vembumees

Didn't you play back then? Because Warcraft/starcraft/diablo franchises were the biggest franchises at the time, lol.

Diablo and Starcraft were. Warcraft fans are like Warhammer fans - they find it inconceivable that everyone else in the worlds wasn't familiar with or a fan of their favorite IP.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

I think it will do well. I look forward to it. I like the cartoony graphics actually.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by Aori
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Didn't you play back then? Because Warcraft/starcraft/diablo franchises were the biggest franchises at the time, lol.

Diablo and Starcraft were. Warcraft fans are like Warhammer fans - they find it inconceivable that everyone else in the worlds wasn't familiar with or a fan of their favorite IP.

Just to add

In the 90s and early 2000 the C&C franchise was the more dominant RTS. However battle.net and a more active team helped blizzard gain dominance.

Blizzard games weren't well known until SC:BW and D2:LOD. The majority of WoW players had no idea warcraft was an RTS lol. Hell prior to 2005 if I told someone I played WoW or even an MMO I was viewed as a leper.

Sure they were strong franchises but that was among a very small group of people compared to today. Now that the stigma is vanishing about gamers the dynamics have changed alot within the last 10 years.

Blizzard turned lepers into pop culture. Wildstar can ride that train if they can execute everything they show near flawlessly. Being backed by NCsoft means they'll get their name out there so there is no worry there.

Or maybe most households didnt own a computer.   Hard to believe huh. Yuup  and cellphones were as big as bricks and the only one you saw was on tv.  C&C was pretty cool all the guys in computer classes played it in school (they were called nerds back then) and socializing on the interent was sooooooooo dorky back then kinda weird with all the facebooking now..."memories"...."like the ones we"......... Me I liked Warcraft I and II , III was bs.  Omg trying to setup multiplayer on Warcraft I was l33t. And 300+ ping was a good connection in fps.

• akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123

Wildstar certainly looks awesome, like a Pixar Movie, but they don't have a well known name, They've all but confirmed it will be sub based which is perfect for me, it will be awesome, but we'll see.

The thing is, ESO is going to hurt Wildstars numbers, but that is not to say that Eso is going to be as good as Wildstar, your friend will play Eso, so you'll play eso, that's almost guaranteed.

Skyrim had sales of 12 million, that sort of tells you that the ip has a bit of a following.

If you're looking for the closest thing to a wow-killer ESO will be it, whether we want it so or not.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Just to add

In the 90s and early 2000 the C&C franchise was the more dominant RTS. However battle.net and a more active team helped blizzard gain dominance.

Blizzard games weren't well known until SC:BW and D2:LOD. The majority of WoW players had no idea warcraft was an RTS lol. Hell prior to 2005 if I told someone I played WoW or even an MMO I was viewed as a leper.

Sure they were strong franchises but that was among a very small group of people compared to today. Now that the stigma is vanishing about gamers the dynamics have changed alot within the last 10 years.

Blizzard turned lepers into pop culture. Wildstar can ride that train if they can execute everything they show near flawlessly. Being backed by NCsoft means they'll get their name out there so there is no worry there.

Being backed by NCsoft also means that if they don't live up to the expectations/projections of NCsofts suits, even if they are profitable, they risk being axed, just like NCsoft has already done to four or five western games.  That is one of my major concerns about this game.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

Just to add

I don't know ... my sophomore year in college (1998-99) it seemd like half the guys in my dorm were playing StarCraft and/or WarCraft 2. The other half were playing Goldeneye. A couple also played Final Fantasy 7. And for a few weeks after winter break groups of guys were playing Ocarina of Time. And everybody played Snood.

The guy directly across the hall from me flunked out because he played StarCraft all day and never went to class. True story.

Incidentally, that era of gaming was ridiculous. In a two-yerar stretch from mid-1997 to mid-1999 we got:

Ultima Online, EverQuest, WarCraft 2, StarCraft, Goldeneye, Final Fantasy VII and VIII, Ocarina of Time, Fallout and Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate, Civ 2, Xenogears, Unreal, Pokemon Red/Yellow/Blue, Grim Fandango, Half-Life, and Alpha Centauri.

/nostalgia

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

Just to add

Being backed by NCsoft also means that if they don't live up to the expectations/projections of NCsofts suits, even if they are profitable, they risk being axed, just like NCsoft has already done to four or five western games.  That is one of my major concerns about this game.

You mean after 10 years with only a few thousand active players the game gets axed.. ya I can understand such a business move. If NCsoft was truely making worthwhile profits they wouldn't axe a game, it just wouldn't make sense. Making 5% profit on a project just isn't worth it when you can reallocate your funds to projects with higher potential.

exept you know when you axe something that is makeing a profit but dont axe things that arnt makeing profit 2x2=3 ?

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• RisstorRisstor Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Arcona
    pretty bold statement, since we could run out of content at level 20, like Age Of Conan at release :)

love the sig

if the wildstar game is only half as fun as their promotional videos, a grand time will be had by all

• Bigmac1910Bigmac1910 Member Posts: 19
    I hope so cause they seem to get a lot of things right, of course I have to play it first, and it looks a little too much like WOW, but we'll see.

Just to add

You mean after 10 years with only a few thousand active players the game gets axed.. ya I can understand such a business move. If NCsoft was truely making worthwhile profits they wouldn't axe a game, it just wouldn't make sense. Making 5% profit on a project just isn't worth it when you can reallocate your funds to projects with higher potential.

It doesn't make business sense... You are leaving out the political/personal angle.  Those projections are based on various assumptions. Those get weighted by personal bias and agenda.  Notice that all of those axed have been western games? Have you ever lived in Korea? I have. It was a fascinating experience.  Wildstar looks like an entertaining game, which is why I'm concerned about NCsoft being their publisher.

Originally posted by Squeak69

exept you know when you axe something that is makeing a profit but dont axe things that arnt makeing profit 2x2=3 ?

Because you know what is profitting and what isn't with NCsoft right? I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.

Hope springs eternal...  I'm pretty sure the government knows what its doing too.... ^^ Only time will tell this tale.  Lets hope we don't see history repeating itself.