Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Classes for Solo/Group PVE & PVP

LokiCoderLokiCoder Member UncommonPosts: 2
Which classes are best for Solo PVE, Group PVE, Solo PVP, and Group PVP? 

I've set up a table with ratings for each of these four categories, but I have no idea how to rate each class. If you have any opinions on this, do me a favor and rate each class

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Id recommend Slayer.

Great damage, good mobility, lots of knock downs.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Unfortunately, the playstyle for just about all of the classes is the same in TERA.  Every class needs to dodge hostile attacks using the same methods.  Every class uses ground targeted or point blank/directional attacks.

All the melee classes are pretty much the same with different graphical effects.  The "ranged" classes don't really end up being ranged really.  At least the one I played often had to be damn close to targets in order to do damage.

Because all the classes are so similar in play style it doesn't really matter what you choose, just pick something that "looks" good for you.

You still have your tanks, but the only real tanky thing they do is have threat/taunt abilities.  They still have to avoid as much damage as possible like anyone else.  Healers do healer stuff... And everyone else is pretty much the same.

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Id recommend Slayer.

Great damage, good mobility, lots of knock downs.

I completely agree.  Sorc would be another imo.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by LokiCoder

I've set up a table with ratings for each of these four categories, but I have no idea how to rate each class. If you have any opinions on this, do me a favor and rate each class

Can you please re-read your headline? You want us to mention a class that fills all slots. Solo and group, while PvE and PvP.

?? :)

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Painlezz

Unfortunately, the playstyle for just about all of the classes is the same in TERA.  Every class needs to dodge hostile attacks using the same methods.  Every class uses ground targeted or point blank/directional attacks.

All the melee classes are pretty much the same with different graphical effects.  The "ranged" classes don't really end up being ranged really.  At least the one I played often had to be damn close to targets in order to do damage.

Because all the classes are so similar in play style it doesn't really matter what you choose, just pick something that "looks" good for you.

You still have your tanks, but the only real tanky thing they do is have threat/taunt abilities.  They still have to avoid as much damage as possible like anyone else.  Healers do healer stuff... And everyone else is pretty much the same.

this

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

slayer/warrior play nothing like zerker. if you were getting in close to do damage as a ranged you're doing it wrong. archer's only have one skill that does more dmg the closer you are and you only use that when mobs get close to you, not go in close to use it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• skiiro00skiiro00 Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by 4bsolute
    Originally posted by LokiCoder

Can you please re-read your headline? You want us to mention a class that fills all slots. Solo and group, while PvE and PvP.

?? :)

I really think that in this case when he uses the word "classes" (as in more than one) and has split up the different categories of playstyle, that he wants to get an answer to Wich class is best suited for wich slot. But hey, thats just what i think.

Anyhow, if im correct my answer would be as following.

Solo pve: slayer or lancer for Bam killing, sorcerer for normal monster slaying. Group PvE : all pretty much equal as long as you can deliver what your class is supposed to do.

Solo pvp: best as i se it, Warrior due to good stuns, mobility and nice chains. However, Slayer can be almost as good, has knockdowns instead of stuns, slightly less mobility but the difference here is that warrior hits fast, slayer with heavier dmg.

Group pvp: if you dont want to pick the classes that are there for a certain purpose, such as priest who i think should heal, lancer that are there only to crap up the battle with the shield, interupting enemy chains n stuff. Id seriously lean to say that a berzerker that gets left alone long enough to burst out is the main devastator on the field. 2nd place id leave to sorcerer, especially when it lags and aoe ice skill is more or less invisible:D

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

Ok I logged in just to tell the OP that this guy is so wrong. The classes in TERA are all quite unique.

Lancer - your typical shield/one hander tank. Uses block to actively mitigate damage. Also has a backstep to dodge (with an invinciblity frame). Lots of stuns, both melee and ranged via leashes. Recent buffs mean they have quite good damage for a tank. A little on the OP side currently.

Warrior - dodge tank and also a dps class. Dual wields swords, very fast attacking melee class. Aside from multiple dodges, also has a block ability, although can't block as much as a Lancer. Can focus on dps or tanking although dps is not as good as a pure dps class. Also has lots of stuns. A bit on the OP side in PvP. Good in PvE as well, but not great for solo grinding due to a lack of AoE dps and overall dps is not as high as pure dps (in group PvE they make up for this with an endurance debuff they can put on mobs/bosses that make everyone else do more dps).

Priest - Lots of big heals and shields. Long term buffs. Various utility skills. Great in any group scenario. Melee magical dps primarily when soloing. Not bad while questing but solo grinding PvE dps is low - it's your traditional healer support. Has 2 dodge spells and can kite quite effectively, although is tanky enough to stay alive in both PvE and PvP. Healing and supportive skills are primarly ranged.

Mystic - another healer/support. Healing and support spells are primarily ranged. Good in groups, has better offensive support than a Priest and lower, although adequate heals. Piss poor dps, even sucks to solo quest. Good kiting ability with a teleport.

Sorcerer - pew pew pew. Typical ranged caster dps with great damage, lots of AoE, lots of varying types of CC. three dodges. Good stuff for just about anything you wanna do in game.

Berzerker - pewpewpew. Two handed melee dps. Very slow attacks, but hits for huge amounts. Good in all types of PvE. Harder to master in PvP.  Primarily relies on block for defense although does have a dodge type skill.

Slayer - fast attacking melee dps. Also uses a two hander although attacks much faster than a Zerk. Also hits quite hard, although a good Zerk can out dps a good Slayer in PvE. Slayer relies on dodges for defense. Has some nice ranged attacks as well. Also has enough stuns to be a pain in the ass. All around good class for anything. Doesn't do anything the best, but does it all well.

Archer - Ranged dps. Uses two dodges for defense. Slower attacks since he uses charge up skills often, but faster generally than a Zerk. Also uses traps. Acceptable dps in endgame PvE but shines more in PvP. AoE dps is not great so I would not solo grind PvE with an Archer.

I'm sure there's stuff I missed but that's a quick rundown.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

For Solo? Sorc.

So far they seem like literally the best at everything. Decent mobility, made up for by a metric ton of CC / snares. High burst damage (was hitting for around 15,000 dmg in my mid 20s), with fairly low cooldowns for the most part. An endless mana pool (both through glyphs, mana leech, and a mana regen skill). And range.

So far I've tried Sorc, Slayer, & Warrior. Sorc can basically 2 shot most enemies in normal PvE. It also does insanely well in dungeons. I've had a few people try to gank me in PvP areas, and I'm pretty much always able to turn the tables on them and wreck them (provided they aren't ~15+ lvls higher).

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

You couldn't be more wrong.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Leiloni

Ok I logged in just to tell the OP that this guy is so wrong. The classes in TERA are all quite unique.

Lancer - your typical shield/one hander tank. Uses block to actively mitigate damage. Also has a backstep to dodge (with an invinciblity frame). Lots of stuns, both melee and ranged via leashes. Recent buffs mean they have quite good damage for a tank. A little on the OP side currently.

Warrior - dodge tank and also a dps class. Dual wields swords, very fast attacking melee class. Aside from multiple dodges, also has a block ability, although can't block as much as a Lancer. Can focus on dps or tanking although dps is not as good as a pure dps class. Also has lots of stuns. A bit on the OP side in PvP. Good in PvE as well, but not great for solo grinding due to a lack of AoE dps and overall dps is not as high as pure dps (in group PvE they make up for this with an endurance debuff they can put on mobs/bosses that make everyone else do more dps).

Priest - Lots of big heals and shields. Long term buffs. Various utility skills. Great in any group scenario. Melee magical dps primarily when soloing. Not bad while questing but solo grinding PvE dps is low - it's your traditional healer support. Has 2 dodge spells and can kite quite effectively, although is tanky enough to stay alive in both PvE and PvP. Healing and supportive skills are primarly ranged.

Mystic - another healer/support. Healing and support spells are primarily ranged. Good in groups, has better offensive support than a Priest and lower, although adequate heals. Piss poor dps, even sucks to solo quest. Good kiting ability with a teleport.

Sorcerer - pew pew pew. Typical ranged caster dps with great damage, lots of AoE, lots of varying types of CC. three dodges. Good stuff for just about anything you wanna do in game.

Berzerker - pewpewpew. Two handed melee dps. Very slow attacks, but hits for huge amounts. Good in all types of PvE. Harder to master in PvP.  Primarily relies on block for defense although does have a dodge type skill.

Slayer - fast attacking melee dps. Also uses a two hander although attacks much faster than a Zerk. Also hits quite hard, although a good Zerk can out dps a good Slayer in PvE. Slayer relies on dodges for defense. Has some nice ranged attacks as well. Also has enough stuns to be a pain in the ass. All around good class for anything. Doesn't do anything the best, but does it all well.

Archer - Ranged dps. Uses two dodges for defense. Slower attacks since he uses charge up skills often, but faster generally than a Zerk. Also uses traps. Acceptable dps in endgame PvE but shines more in PvP. AoE dps is not great so I would not solo grind PvE with an Archer.

I'm sure there's stuff I missed but that's a quick rundown.

While I don't agree with everything you posted, I agree that the classes are not all the same...or even close to it. If people are seeing them all as the same class that just look diferent. They're playing them wrong.

Zerker is a bit gimped in solo pvp I hear. His attacks are too slow to be effective. Otherwise it really comes down to your play style. I'm not a big pvper so wont give advice on it but every other combo of classes has it's advantages and disadvantages in pve as a duo group. You can solo with any class although mystic is a bit painful.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by DamonVile

While I don't agree with everything you posted, I agree that the classes are not all the same...or even close to it. If people are seeing them all as the same class that just look diferent. They're playing them wrong.

Zerker is a bit gimped in solo pvp I hear. His attacks are too slow to be effective. Otherwise it really comes down to your play style. I'm not a big pvper so wont give advice on it but every other combo of classes has it's advantages and disadvantages in pve as a duo group. You can solo with any class although mystic is a bit painful.

There's definitely a difference between the classes.

And yes, zerker is gimped in PvP atm. The class basically has zero mobility, and almost no defense. It's like playing a fish in a barrel. In PvE on the other hand, it's not that big of an issue, you basically just charge your big attack and things die. Personally, though, I'd stay away from zerker. It's one of dullest classes this game has to offer. It's basically a 1 trick poney that's literally a DPS bot for dungeons.

That Aside, Lancers, Slayers, Sorcs, & Priests are the current top dogs class-wise. Mystics are still pretty good healers, but priests have some things that make them ridiculous in both PvP and PvE.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by DamonVile

There's definitely a difference between the classes.

And yes, zerker is gimped in PvP atm. The class basically has zero mobility, and almost no defense. It's like playing a fish in a barrel. In PvE on the other hand, it's not that big of an issue, you basically just charge your big attack and things die. Personally, though, I'd stay away from zerker. It's one of dullest classes this game has to offer. It's basically a 1 trick poney that's literally a DPS bot for dungeons.

That Aside, Lancers, Slayers, Sorcs, & Priests are the current top dogs class-wise. Mystics are still pretty good healers, but priests have some things that make them ridiculous in both PvP and PvE.

much rather have mystic in my party than a priest.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

As much as I love my Priest, if you have a skilled party, Mystic is better in PvE and 3's. Only place Priest is better is 15v15 BG and GvGs, or if your group is bad. But with the Priest buffs KTERA received in January I think that has evened out a bit so hopefully we get that patch soon.

Zerks are bad in PvP for two main reasons. One, because they're so slow, their attacks are easy to dodge. Second, with all the staggers that some classes have and the fact that Zerks have to charge up all their skills, Zerks attacks are easily interrupted. So they're doubly screwed. A good zerk can still be effective, but it's much harder to do. At least in 15v15 BG though there are more people around so Zerk can take advantage of not being focused and/or people not paying attention.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Fancy seeing Leiloni here.

It's slubber/zdravko. Ahuehuehue.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

As for the OP.

"Which classes are best for Solo PVE, Group PVE, Solo PVP, and Group PVP? "

Solo PvE -

#1 Warrior(Soloing LoT NM/Bams very quickly),

#2 Lancer(Soloing KNNM/Bams very quickly)

#3 Slayer/Berserker(Soloing BAMs fast)

#4 Sorc (Soloing Bams pretty fast)

#5 Archer(Soloing BAMs meh speed)

#6 Priest( Soloing BAMs slowly) #7 Mystic(Soloing BAMs stupidly slow).

Group PvE -

#1 Lancer/Warrior(tanks are most needed)

#2 Mystic/Priest

#3 All DPS classes, warrior is put here as well if you plan on DPSing instead of tanking.

Battlegrounds -

#1 Archer/Sorc (sit back an snipe/AoE people)

#2 All non healing classes

#3 Healers (healer is a tough role in BGs, so I placed it #3).

3V3 -

#1 Warrior/Lancer/Priest/Mystic(these classes can be effective with any combination of all classes in TERA).

#2 Archer/Sorc/Berserker/Slayer(rely on a warrior or lancer as the second dps to support them)

1v1/Ganking -

#1 Priest (well geared healers dont die)

#2 Mystic (same as above)

#3 Warrior/Lancer (best 1v1 classes)

#4 Archer/Sorc

#5 Berserker 

On a side note, you could pop buffs/scrolls on archer/sorc/zerker and go around one shotting people. But in a fair fight you'll be at a disadvantage with the current 1v1 potential of warr/lancers.

Guild vs Guild - Everything plays a vital role.