Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Most Hyped Game Really?

1235»

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon

Honestly, especially on this site, people tend to worship ideals.

It's easy to say 'I want an awesome PvP-focused game with meaningful CC / whatever'. However, few people can actually commit to / accept the details of an MMO nowadays. They all go for some kind of subjective ideal, and then when a dev delivers on their interpretation of what that ideal is, people act as if they were cheated, robbed, or deliberately scammed every time a dev fails to match every single persons expectations to the T (which any sane person knows is literally impossible to do).

It's the reason we aparently have zero decent games atm. Because noone can agree on what a decent game is. Everyone can agree on the broad, general ideals, but when you start putting them into practice everyone says they're garbage.

It kinda makes me chuckle a bit when people point to RvR focused games like WAR or GW2 and just label them 'mindless zerging', like DAoC had none of that. All games 3 games had mindless zerging, and all 3 games ALSO had tactical warfare. It all came down to the people running the squads / forces / armies / zergs / whatever you choose to call them. If your leader is treating the group like just a zerg, then it will feel like zerg warfare. If you have a decent leader who understand tactics, then it'll feel more strategic. Regardless of the mechanics in the game. I also know all 3 games STILL have leaders playing that use tactics to their advantage, and do it quite successfully.

• DrakynnDrakynn The Pas, MBPosts: 2,030Member
    Originally posted by sweetdigs
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by Slampig
    So being excited for a game is bad. Ugh...these posts...image

Getting excited is fine.Declaring CU the saviour of the masses and the curer of all diseases like some have done here when the "game" has no code and is only a set of design documents and promises though...

I for one hope for the best but am not putting any emotion or money into this untll I see a lot more.

I don't see anybody suggesting CU is the savior of the masses or the curer of all diseases.  Hyperbole does you no favors.

CU is just a game that a lot of us are excited about.  The reasons why we are excited are the reasons many have posted here. 

This isn't directed at you Drakynn, but I don't understand why some folks here are so angry about others being excited about something.  Is their life really so devoid of enthusiasm?  Is there nothing you get excited about?  Is your joy in life coming to these forums to tell people that their interest in a game that harkens back to DAOC and brings back an old school menality is somehow wrong? 

I really just don't get why these people come here and even bother to post.  Are they hoping to extinguish the flame that folks have in games?  Will that make them feel better?

I'll admit to some exagerration there but there have bene one or two threads talking about how this game is goign to save the MMORPG genre.A lot fo peopel also talk about the game like it's already a done deal and almost finished.

I get enthusiastic about amny things but I need something concrete to get excited about not just speculation and designtheories.I hope things do work out but at this stage they could just as likely not.

I am also an old DAoC and I evne managed to last in Warhammer Online a year before giving up on the game breaking patches and wild balance swings and crappy game engine.SO I understand why people want this to succeed.Though I worry it's narrow focus might not be enough to sustain a large enough user base if it does indeed finish developement.

I love good RvR like in DAoC and Warhammer Online(sans the fortresses and city invasions which were terrible) but like many old DAoCers I also loved the PvE aspects of the game(especially Darkness Falls).It kind of remidns me of how soem Ultima Onliners only seem to remember the full loot PvP aspect and seme to forget that there was plenty of othe things in that game that others loved.

I harbor no anger toward those getting excited about this proposed game I jusrt don't share the excitement at this stage because there is notihng concrete to base it on.

I've gambled on kickstarter before with Star Citizen and Wasteland 2 mostly based on nostalgia,though I tihnk with Wasteland 2 it's a good bet because it's not as amitious a concept as Star Citizen or trying to kickstart a MMORPG.Star Citizen is a bigger risjk because of it's online ambitions but I really want the space sim genre to be reborn.So I have no problem with peopel giving money to MJ and his team but I do think both games I helped kickstart showed more before asking for money but that's arguable I guess.

On the other hand if there was no hype for CU then there woudl be nothing at all.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Talahasee, FLPosts: 2,556Member
    Originally posted by EasymodeX

Just don't forget that many mechanics and subsystems of other games are superior to DAOC's, even if the core gameplay was there.  For example, I think that the guild / alliance components / systems should be ripped 100% from Warhammer.  Crafting could be ripped from ... dunno, Vanguard?  GW2's isn't bad, but a new attempt at crafting wouldn't be a bad idea.

The GUI can be copied straight from WoW (+50 addons).  Who doesn't like floating combat text?  Macro/scripting logic can be copied from Rift.  Dual Wield / 2h / Sword&Board mechanics can be copied off of SWTOR.  Rift had an excellent aesthetic gear system similar to Warhammer's.  E.g. you can equip gear "for looks" over the gear you equip for stats.  Dual targeting from WAR was excellent.

Many games did many things rather well.  DAOC did a lot of things bad.  No reason why CU has to pick up the bad / unpolished pieces of DAOC 'just because'.

Few things from DAoC have been surpassed. And no, I do not want yet another game with WoW's cluttered redundant GUI.

And DAoC's DW/2h/SS was fine as is. And no, a PvP game should not let you wear gear and not have it be reflected by your character.

• ChannceChannce Sacramento, CAPosts: 570Member
    Originally posted by Sodahz
    ......  Is there something I missed? I don't understand .......

ya, no suprise.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• EasymodeXEasymodeX No, VAPosts: 149Member
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Few things from DAoC have been surpassed. And no, I do not want yet another game with WoW's cluttered redundant GUI.

And DAoC's DW/2h/SS was fine as is. And no, a PvP game should not let you wear gear and not have it be reflected by your character.

If you want 100% DAOC 1.0, it's still available to play.  Have at it.

• SpeelySpeely Seattle, WAPosts: 861Member
    Still heated up in here, I see. Thanks for the kind words, y'all. I felt the need to let it out. Seems like our enthusiasm is really a problem for some people.

Haters gonna hate.

Can't wait for this community in-game. Us early-adopters/backers should definitely make sure we have a community. I very much love some of the personalities I have encountered here, and that gives me as much hope (and hype omg!) for the game as anything.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Talahasee, FLPosts: 2,556Member
    Originally posted by EasymodeX
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

If you want 100% DAOC 1.0, it's still available to play.  Have at it.

Not only did I NOT say I wanted 100% DAoC,

but it is NOT available to play. So, you look foolish twice. Good job.

If it was, I would be playing it.

• EasymodeXEasymodeX No, VAPosts: 149Member

Oh they finally shut it down?  It was still up a while ago.

Regardless, most specific subsystems and mechanics in DAOC have been surpassed.

The only things that DAOC has clear leads in at this time are map layout, point accrual, cast/interrupt (to some extent), pre-TOA gear scaling.  Everything else has been done better, more or less.

• sweetdigssweetdigs Washington, DCPosts: 196Member
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    Still heated up in here, I see. Thanks for the kind words, y'all. I felt the need to let it out. Seems like our enthusiasm is really a problem for some people.

Haters gonna hate.

Can't wait for this community in-game. Us early-adopters/backers should definitely make sure we have a community. I very much love some of the personalities I have encountered here, and that gives me as much hope (and hype omg!) for the game as anything.

I can't tell you how eagerly I am looking forward to the internal backers forums.  For many reasons.

1235»
This discussion has been closed.