Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Hyped Game Really?

Comments

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

There's a reason why "hype" is only one letter different to "hope".

People loved DAOC and hope that they will love Camelot Unchained equally. Many of those people were disappointed by WAR and hope that Camelot Unchained will not disappoint them similarly.

I don't think there's much point reading too much into hype percentages.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Qallidexz
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Qallidexz

You know what? Mark Jacobs is at least TRYING, he's at least trying to take a firm stance on RvR, uncompromising, no bs, old-school RvR, in a no hand-holding, no carebear system, that rewards PvP, and promotes faction pride, as well as sandboxey elements... IMO, we should all give the game a 10/10, JUST to show our support for that, and for that type of game, if NOTHING else... Especially after ESO has been buckling at the knees to it's PvE crowd more and more lately, and turning its back on it's RvR/PvP fanbase.

Don't get me wrong, I may have said some out-of-line things about MJ regarding the $5000 island thingie, but believe me when I say I will be happy as a clam if hardcore PvP'ers finally have a game to call home.  I mean that, I know it's one of the hardest bunch of people to please and if he manages, I wish you all the best.  I'm just not that into PvP myself.  You're right, he is trying for a type of game that some people will enjoy and I think that's rad.

No offense, but if you're not that interested in PvP, why are you on a forum for a game that's completely dedicated to PvP? Do you actually plan on playing CU?

No.  I usually find these threads on the home page under "Recent Forum Activity", and frankly, the OP's question still makes sense to me.

• DrakonalDrakonal Member Posts: 42

Honestly the only reason why this thread was started in the first place by the OP was because it seems strange/ or down right crazy for a game that hasn't even begun development to top the hype meter for MMORPG. But people don't realize how much having big names in game development will hype a game.

For example the main reason that ESO got so much hype from the RvR community is because Matt Frior, (a DAoC legend) is head of project. That's the single only reason before anyone saw any concepts or anyone saw game play, past your typical Elder Scroll genre. We hyped it because someone who was involved with DAoC is managing it.

Now Mark Jacobs has come out from under his rock that WAR and EA pushed him under and he is hoping to fund a game that goes back to the IP lore that he as well as we love, and the concepts that made DAoC so great for it's time period. On top of that he is making the game for our niche community, with no intention or desire to try and compete with WoW, which in my opinion was the main downfall for WAR from the word go.

Unfortantly ESO while i'm sure it's going to be a great game and alot of the good that was in DAoC is being added into ESO because it's a good idea, Bethesda/Zenimax i'm sure to some degree has sights on the WoW pie, with this project.

CU has it's sights of the community that has never really felt 100% comfortable with any MMO they have played sense DAoC.

-Drak

Drakonal of Lancelot/Kay
    Drakulaz of Mordred
    http://www.riskymilk.com/Kujii/Player_Base.wmv (classic guild video alb no cloth group)

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    So being excited for a game is bad. Ugh...these posts...image

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

It's the same people with mulitple emails hyping it over and over and over.......

You should know how the most hyped games or most voted games on this site are actually at the top. I mean GMAB TSW is still second best on this site and we all know how that ones doing 8P

People are doing the same thing with this game as they did with GW2 and I can't wait till this train crashes into a brick wall.......

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Sodahz
    Please explain why this game which still doesn't have the full funds for development is the most hyped game on this website figuring the fact Mark Jacobs last game bomb hard?  Is there something I missed? I don't understand why people hype these games up so damn much.......

The last game bombed mostly because of publishers and EA's involvement. Everything Mark has said over the last few months shows that he knows far more about what makes good MMOs than the vast VAST majority of PR spitting shills in the AAA MMORPGs.

DAoC was one of, if not the best, MMORPG of all time, and people remember it.

• KarraptathidKarraptathid Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

DAoC was one of, if not the best, MMORPG of all time, and people remember it.

Remember hell, I'm still playing the game after 10 years.!  image  In fact, I should be in Thid in about 2 hours until I leave for work.

Midranki - To us, Thidranki Faste is not just some center keep, it's our field Guild Hall.
    Camelot Unchained's Kickstarter - Warrior Forever

• EasymodeXEasymodeX Member Posts: 149

Just don't forget that many mechanics and subsystems of other games are superior to DAOC's, even if the core gameplay was there.  For example, I think that the guild / alliance components / systems should be ripped 100% from Warhammer.  Crafting could be ripped from ... dunno, Vanguard?  GW2's isn't bad, but a new attempt at crafting wouldn't be a bad idea.

The GUI can be copied straight from WoW (+50 addons).  Who doesn't like floating combat text?  Macro/scripting logic can be copied from Rift.  Dual Wield / 2h / Sword&Board mechanics can be copied off of SWTOR.  Rift had an excellent aesthetic gear system similar to Warhammer's.  E.g. you can equip gear "for looks" over the gear you equip for stats.  Dual targeting from WAR was excellent.

Many games did many things rather well.  DAOC did a lot of things bad.  No reason why CU has to pick up the bad / unpolished pieces of DAOC 'just because'.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Slampig

Getting excited is fine.Declaring CU the saviour of the masses and the curer of all diseases like some have done here when the "game" has no code and is only a set of design documents and promises though...

I for one hope for the best but am not putting any emotion or money into this untll I see a lot more.

• DrakonalDrakonal Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by EasymodeX

Just don't forget that many mechanics and subsystems of other games are superior to DAOC's, even if the core gameplay was there.  For example, I think that the guild / alliance components / systems should be ripped 100% from Warhammer.  Crafting could be ripped from ... dunno, Vanguard?  GW2's isn't bad, but a new attempt at crafting wouldn't be a bad idea.

The GUI can be copied straight from WoW (+50 addons).  Who doesn't like floating combat text?  Macro/scripting logic can be copied from Rift.  Dual Wield / 2h / Sword&Board mechanics can be copied off of SWTOR.  Rift had an excellent aesthetic gear system similar to Warhammer's.  E.g. you can equip gear "for looks" over the gear you equip for stats.  Dual targeting from WAR was excellent.

Many games did many things rather well.  DAOC did a lot of things bad.  No reason why CU has to pick up the bad / unpolished pieces of DAOC 'just because'.

Some of those things i wouldn't say are bad so much as more in line with lack of hand holding. Alot of the nice shiny things you see in MMO's you listed is the dumbing down of the MMO games in general, i.e. hand holding.

Some , but not all. I'll agree with you that i really enjoyed WAR'S duel targeting system, but in general you can also look at that as an easymode system that took away from some of the skill from tgargeting between friendlies and enemies.

Just my opinion though.

-Drak

Drakonal of Lancelot/Kay
    Drakulaz of Mordred
    http://www.riskymilk.com/Kujii/Player_Base.wmv (classic guild video alb no cloth group)

• OldskooOldskoo Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by PerfArt

It's because the concept for this game is something a lot of us have been wanting for many years, and now a developer we trust in this arena, having had a huge hand in creating arguably the best RvR experience we have ever had, is trying to breathe life into this concept.

It's because it is such a radical divergence from existing themepark, candy-coated, hand-holding joyrides that dominates the genre that it boggles the mind. We are just getting BORED of that, and this game has a CHANCE... just a small freaking speck of an angel's whisper of a baby's breath of a freaking CHANCE of giving us the sandbox RvR we have been waiting for ever since DAoC taught us how amazing RvR could be.

And we are daring to hope this because we know it CAN be delivered, and that a talented team is on it, and that the man behind it has had great success in this realm, is experienced, and has made the mistakes neccessary to know what NOT to do. There is no motive for any mysterious "oh look what he did with WAR he is just trying to dupe you guys lol" eventuality.

We are theorycrafting. We are speculating. We are excited, because for the first time in a long time, someone is taking a chance on something truly NEW, and something we want to play. We might be a minority, and we are fine with that. We might be getting prematurely excited, and we really don't care. We are having fun by having hope, and discussing not only the potential for this game, but also discussing a lot of mmorpg concepts that the very idea of this game engenders by virtue of it's vision.

No one is here saying that this is the second coming. We are just pumped. Because, let's face it, we love gaming and we want a game that loves us. Why should it bother anyone that we are excited about this? If YOU aren't, then farewell and good travels.

Sheesh. If you think a bunch of nerds anticipating a pre-development mmorpg is annoying, imagine how annoying it is to have people who could care less harrassing you because of it.

Appreciated the post. Your words back up how I fee about it. Thanks

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263

I personally think every game gets hyped in 1 way or another. But aye, this 1 has had a lot of talk about it.

I was excited til Mark said there was no classic DAoC PvE with Dragon fights etc. :(

As long as it has no Trials of Atlantis MK2! ;)

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • sweetdigssweetdigs Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by Drakynn

Getting excited is fine.Declaring CU the saviour of the masses and the curer of all diseases like some have done here when the "game" has no code and is only a set of design documents and promises though...

I for one hope for the best but am not putting any emotion or money into this untll I see a lot more.

I don't see anybody suggesting CU is the savior of the masses or the curer of all diseases.  Hyperbole does you no favors.

CU is just a game that a lot of us are excited about.  The reasons why we are excited are the reasons many have posted here. 

This isn't directed at you Drakynn, but I don't understand why some folks here are so angry about others being excited about something.  Is their life really so devoid of enthusiasm?  Is there nothing you get excited about?  Is your joy in life coming to these forums to tell people that their interest in a game that harkens back to DAOC and brings back an old school menality is somehow wrong? 

I really just don't get why these people come here and even bother to post.  Are they hoping to extinguish the flame that folks have in games?  Will that make them feel better?

• EasymodeXEasymodeX Member Posts: 149

Originally posted by Drakonal
    Some of those things i wouldn't say are bad so much as more in line with lack of hand holding. Alot of the nice shiny things you see in MMO's you listed is the dumbing down of the MMO games in general, i.e. hand holding.
    Some , but not all. I'll agree with you that i really enjoyed WAR'S duel targeting system, but in general you can also look at that as an easymode system that took away from some of the skill from tgargeting between friendlies and enemies.

I think there's an important difference between evolution and automation and "hand-holding". Hand-holding is when the software plays the "game" for you. E.g. WoW's ridiculous level of "autocleanse" / smart targeting mods that had significant decision-making in an addon. It's also when the gameplay is removed just to make it simpler -- spreadheals in DAOC?

However, there's no reason to make playing the game hard or awkward. The GUI should be good. DAOC's GUI was pretty solid for its time, but this is 2013.

Comment on dual targeting in particular:

1. There's little gameplay in the skill required to actively target the correct player. You may as well add a numeric CAPTCHA code to target someone if targeting accuracy is a skill you really want to emphasize in gameplay. E.g. it's complexity that adds no value. It's the same as being "against" alt-binds for self-targeted spells.

2. The gameplay should be the decision making involved in what you're targeting. E.g. a mod that will autotarget the lowest-HP member of your group for your heal is hand-holding, because it removes the decisions of [size of heal: underheal | overheal] [damage intake: heal lowest hp | heal player about to take damage], among other things.

3. Those two aside, dual targeting specifically enables the transfer heal mechanic (and transfer buff, for what that was worth) that is not present in almost any other game. In addition to active monitoring of a friendly. This could be simulated in games like WoW/Rift with the "Focus target", but the dual targeting in Warhammer was more intuitive and simpler to use.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of years as some very realistic scenarios possibly begin to play out:

1) Game needs more funding and won't be finished unless fans cough up some more cash (still no promises at that point either)

2) Fans realize that the ideas they so enthusiastically pitched to Mark Jacobs are not being implemented to their liking or not at all.

3) Beta testing reveals that an RvR focused game isn't as interesting and fun as many people think / remember.

• sweetdigssweetdigs Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of years as some very realistic scenarios possibly begin to play out:

1) Game needs more funding and won't be finished unless fans cough up some more cash (still no promises at that point either)

2) Fans realize that the ideas they so enthusiastically pitched to Mark Jacobs are not being implemented to their liking or not at all.

3) Beta testing reveals that an RvR focused game isn't as interesting and fun as many people think / remember.

Sure, those are all very realistic.  Not equally likely, but certainly plausible. 

Other alternatives:

4)  Those who kickstarted and work on the IT, alpha and beta testing phases enjoy being involved in the development and contributing to the development of CU.  Sure, the game doesn't get everything in it that everybody wants, but it's a good game and people enjoy it for some time. 

5)  The game stays true to its founding principles.  It doesn't become a commercial hit, but it is played by 25,000 regulars who have been waiting for an old-school type RvR game where decisions matter.  It shows that old school MMOs still have a place as a niche.

6)  The game gets such a successful following that it allows CSE to fund and begin work on another game that will be released in several years that incorporates PvE and PvP, but has brings something else to MMOs beyond RvR. 

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

Sure, those are all very realistic.  Not equally likely, but certainly plausible. 

Other alternatives:

4)  Those who kickstarted and work on the IT, alpha and beta testing phases enjoy being involved in the development and contributing to the development of CU.  Sure, the game doesn't get everything in it that everybody wants, but it's a good game and people enjoy it for some time. 

5)  The game stays true to its founding principles.  It doesn't become a commercial hit, but it is played by 25,000 regulars who have been waiting for an old-school type RvR game where decisions matter.  It shows that old school MMOs still have a place as a niche.

6)  The game gets such a successful following that it allows CSE to fund and begin work on another game that will be released in several years that incorporates PvE and PvP, but has brings something else to MMOs beyond RvR.

7) The game does well and goes on to live a long life.

8) The game does so well that it attracts a lot of casual players. Those players become the majority and the game starts changing to better suit them.

9) The game while still good can not live up to the hype that has been generated over the years of development. It launches to the disappointment of fans that had unrealistic expectations. This forum is then flooded with complaints.

There are so many things that could happen. I agree with you it will be interesting to watch it play out.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Pvp'ers are finally getting a chance to get a game that provides quality, massive, pvp.  Additionally, they are getting the chance to have an influence in its development.  This is something to be excited about.

Pve'ers have had a game of thier own for some time now, it's called Hello Kitty:  Island Adventure.

• Thebrave246Thebrave246 Member Posts: 174
    It's becauseit's "Hype", it doesn't matter about the development process, people hear Camelot Unchained, and they think of what a great game it "could" be and they relate it back to DAoC. They are connecting a classic mmo to Camelot Unchained which most likely will be drastically different, but then again it is just a "Hype" meter and "Hype" doesn't mean how good it is or even anything about the game particularly.
  • krisaliakrisalia Member Posts: 4
    CU is been long awaited by many of the old DAOC players.  For those that played DAOC, they know first hand what kind of expectations they have and are "hoping" this will be what they have long awaited.  Yes, they have a lot on their shoulders to live up to but then doesn't everyone?
  • RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218

From http://www.learnersdictionary.com:

hype : talk or writing that is intended to make people excited about or interested in something or someone
    * There was a great deal of media hype surrounding the senator's announcement.
    * After months of promotional hype, the band finally released their new album.

I think that sums it up.

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• binskkibinskki Member CommonPosts: 153

To give my two cents of an answer to the original question, Sohdahz...I think part of the excitement is because a subset of the gaming community is responding to a developer treating them (for a change) like intelligent beings whose opinions he respects.  And offering to try to build a modern version of an old-school community-based game where people do things to help each other, not just to get their next set of cool gear.  I distinctly remember doing things in gaming because I cared about a community.  It was lovely.

I am well aware that several people are about to jump up and down and point out that talk is cheap!  The evil MJ is just saying these heady and unrealistic things to get my hard-earned MONEY!  Then he is going to use it to build a crappy game that is nothing like what he promised, and I will be crying in a big virtual hanky!  There are great game communities all over the place, full of great gamers, and I should go to them, and not set myself up for disappointment and despair!

I do appreciate your concern.  :)

However, having experienced the respect with which the player community was treated in Dark Age, and some of the extraordinary qualities of the community itself, I am inclined to believe the gentleman has some street cred on those particular issues.  And having experienced the change that occurred when EA came in, I am also inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt on the value of an independently-funded game.  It all makes me.... well, hopeful.

If it doesn't fly, it won't be for lack of a really good, quite different-than-what-is-out-there idea, or a lack of intelligence or good intentions on the part of the design team.  I like the idea.  I like the attitude of the designers towards the gaming community.  I like the amount of enthusiasm I am seeing from people on these boards.  Heck, I like a lot of the people.  I like to be hopeful.   What's not to like?

Of course a lot can happen that will stop it from being a good game, or even a game at all...whether I fund it, or care about it, or just cheer it on.

But,  even if this thing doesn't fly, even if it bombs in the most horrible ghastly bomb-like way, perhaps there is someone else out there who is astute enough to notice all this excitement and realize there is an interestingly loyal, fairly intense little niche market here that is not being exploited, and exploit it.   And that makes me hopeful, as well.  Exploit away, I say!

After all, there does seem to be an awful lot of interest, lol. :D

(/em cheers hard for PerfArt  )

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Honestly, especially on this site, people tend to worship ideals.

It's easy to say 'I want an awesome PvP-focused game with meaningful CC / whatever'. However, few people can actually commit to / accept the details of an MMO nowadays. They all go for some kind of subjective ideal, and then when a dev delivers on their interpretation of what that ideal is, people act as if they were cheated, robbed, or deliberately scammed every time a dev fails to match every single persons expectations to the T (which any sane person knows is literally impossible to do).

It's the reason we aparently have zero decent games atm. Because noone can agree on what a decent game is. Everyone can agree on the broad, general ideals, but when you start putting them into practice everyone says they're garbage.

It kinda makes me chuckle a bit when people point to RvR focused games like WAR or GW2 and just label them 'mindless zerging', like DAoC had none of that. All games 3 games had mindless zerging, and all 3 games ALSO had tactical warfare. It all came down to the people running the squads / forces / armies / zergs / whatever you choose to call them. If your leader is treating the group like just a zerg, then it will feel like zerg warfare. If you have a decent leader who understand tactics, then it'll feel more strategic. Regardless of the mechanics in the game. I also know all 3 games STILL have leaders playing that use tactics to their advantage, and do it quite successfully.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by sweetdigs
    Originally posted by Drakynn

I don't see anybody suggesting CU is the savior of the masses or the curer of all diseases.  Hyperbole does you no favors.

CU is just a game that a lot of us are excited about.  The reasons why we are excited are the reasons many have posted here. 

This isn't directed at you Drakynn, but I don't understand why some folks here are so angry about others being excited about something.  Is their life really so devoid of enthusiasm?  Is there nothing you get excited about?  Is your joy in life coming to these forums to tell people that their interest in a game that harkens back to DAOC and brings back an old school menality is somehow wrong? 

I really just don't get why these people come here and even bother to post.  Are they hoping to extinguish the flame that folks have in games?  Will that make them feel better?

I'll admit to some exagerration there but there have bene one or two threads talking about how this game is goign to save the MMORPG genre.A lot fo peopel also talk about the game like it's already a done deal and almost finished.

I get enthusiastic about amny things but I need something concrete to get excited about not just speculation and designtheories.I hope things do work out but at this stage they could just as likely not.

I am also an old DAoC and I evne managed to last in Warhammer Online a year before giving up on the game breaking patches and wild balance swings and crappy game engine.SO I understand why people want this to succeed.Though I worry it's narrow focus might not be enough to sustain a large enough user base if it does indeed finish developement.

I love good RvR like in DAoC and Warhammer Online(sans the fortresses and city invasions which were terrible) but like many old DAoCers I also loved the PvE aspects of the game(especially Darkness Falls).It kind of remidns me of how soem Ultima Onliners only seem to remember the full loot PvP aspect and seme to forget that there was plenty of othe things in that game that others loved.

I harbor no anger toward those getting excited about this proposed game I jusrt don't share the excitement at this stage because there is notihng concrete to base it on.

I've gambled on kickstarter before with Star Citizen and Wasteland 2 mostly based on nostalgia,though I tihnk with Wasteland 2 it's a good bet because it's not as amitious a concept as Star Citizen or trying to kickstart a MMORPG.Star Citizen is a bigger risjk because of it's online ambitions but I really want the space sim genre to be reborn.So I have no problem with peopel giving money to MJ and his team but I do think both games I helped kickstart showed more before asking for money but that's arguable I guess.

On the other hand if there was no hype for CU then there woudl be nothing at all.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by EasymodeX

Few things from DAoC have been surpassed. And no, I do not want yet another game with WoW's cluttered redundant GUI.

And DAoC's DW/2h/SS was fine as is. And no, a PvP game should not let you wear gear and not have it be reflected by your character.

This discussion has been closed.