Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] DayZ: The Standalone Makes a Splash at PAX East

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

DayZ Standalone made a splash at this year's PAX East and we've got all the details. From tech, to design process, and overall progress, we've got the scoop.

One of the interesting things we learned about the project is that the DayZ standalone isn’t really based on ARMA 2 and it isn’t really ARMA 3, either. The underlying technology is kind of a mish-mash of whatever the team needed for their project. For example, some tech, such as the improved controls of ARMA 3, was leveraged to enhance the DayZ experience.

Read more of Michael Bitton's DayZ: The Standalone Makes a Splash at PAX East.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Looks really good! Lookind forward to trying this as someone who never got into the mod! 
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Makes the Warz look like the poor copycat it is.  
  • FeydiirFeydiir Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by DMKano
    I'd change the name to something completely different so people stop confusing this with SCAM...cough WAR-z

Why change the name when DayZ was out first?

I also heard that The War Z may be having troubles with World War Z the movie/book, so they may be losing their name anyways.  Unless that's already past or someone was BSing about that.  Can't remember where I read it.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

I hope this game looks as exciting as that image above.

It seems none of these games actually have zombies roaming around. yes ive played arma and warz.

the only cool event with zombies ive encountered was in Kingsmouth -TSW. they know how to make it exciting. especially if u jump on a car the alarm goes off and out come the zombies very kewl that the only game thats gave me 'walking dead' essence. yes its PVE -but who cares its great zombiefest!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I haven't played the original, but seeing as the standalone is so close to release, I figure why bother?  I might as well wait a little bit longer.  I really like the concept of this game.
  • WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Im also exctied for this, I did play the mod.. but my computer couldnt handle it at the time. But my new gaming rig is foaming at the ports for this one!

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

The main problem I see with this game is the fact it's driven by 'Rocket's ego. Not the best development plan.

The style of game is one I like, but having the game develop on the whims of a single person.... that's so 1983.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    One of the most immersive games I've ever played. Really looking forward to the stand alone. This isn't really a game...it's more of a simulation.

Joined - July 2004

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 210
    If bandits suffer repercussions for killing friendlies, then you'll get my money. Other than that, it's not worth a dime to me.
  • EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    will this be another deathmatch ....... with zombies in the background?
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Cant wait for this!
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I'm glad they are revamping the control system.  It's the major reason i stopped playing it.
  • GenesiGenesi Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I have heard great things about this mod. I told myself I woudl wait for the standalone version before I even try it becuase I want to support to developers. It has been tough! I hope they release it soon.

- Dave

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Looking good.

I enjoyed the hell out of the mod, and I'm going to be all over this one at launch. Really hope this actually launches in June.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Really looking forward to this.  I played the mod long enough to see massive potential and I haven't been that emmersed in a game since Star Wars Galaxies.  It looks like they are quickly moving towards realizing a lot of that potential.  

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• blutm8blutm8 Member UncommonPosts: 86
    this mod is very nice.. better than war z in my opinion.. but has the same probleme: players are always chasing for players. but the zombies are much much harder than in war z
  • AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by eric_w66

The main problem I see with this game is the fact it's driven by 'Rocket's ego. Not the best development plan.

The style of game is one I like, but having the game develop on the whims of a single person.... that's so 1983.

to be honest, the vision of a single person is easier to keep on track, and while it won't please EVERYONE, EVERYONE already knows what happens when you attempt to please EVERYONE. Only NOBODY is happy with the finished product.

I'm all for seeing where a single unique and talented person can take this.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Why would you punish bandits? That would just ruin the game, you just need to reward people for working together, which mechanics like blood bags does, though the game needs more of them.
  • SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188

So... it's a food scrounging simulation? I have to worry about zombies, ammo, weapons, system shock, shelter, asshat raiders, and now... my diet? FFS...

It looks good but I think they're hanging too many needed-to-be-micromanaged components on it.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by SunwolfNC

So... it's a food scrounging simulation? I have to worry about zombies, ammo, weapons, system shock, shelter, asshat raiders, and now... my diet? FFS...

It looks good but I think they're hanging too many needed-to-be-micromanaged components on it.

Hopefully Ripper X will be able to find a hair brush and some razors in his inventory.

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 647

I tried out the mod version and had a great time, although it has many issues.  The standalone looks like it will fix just about all the issues I had with the mod though - animations, melee, inventiries, etc.

I like the fact that instead of putting limits on the PvP system, they're actually looking to change the psychology of the gameplay instead - big points awarded there!

The server/client model, also HUGE plus for that.  My biggest gripe with the mod was the lack of any real... um.... "control" when it came to the gameplay.  Lots of hackers, lots of bugs, lots of inconsistencies between servers.

Still, since ARMA and DayZ are almost entirely different games, I wouldn't recommend buying one just so you can play a mod that has the other.  Wait for the standalone!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by SunwolfNC

I know!  Sounds awesome right??  lol

Seriously though, since MMO developers are taking their sweet ass time making a sandbox I'm even remotely interested in, it looks like DayZ will have to scratch that itch for me instead.

• FauzrukFauzruk Member UncommonPosts: 8

When I hear Rocket's talking, he doesn't really look like a guy with a big ego ... He said most of the time that it's pretty much the community that made the game.

If you look at a mod like Dota, it went pretty well. So ... Why not for the DayZ Standalone aswell?

That's also what Blizzard used to do. They had a few people to keep the same level of game design and it's also why they take so long to make their games.

• FishmittsFishmitts Member CommonPosts: 227
    While playing the lone wolf style can be fun, running around with a clan is truly epic in this game. Everytime we play something new and different happens, and usually ends with laughter and shit talking in our TS. I can honestly say I've had more fun with this MOD than any AAA game in years. But what grabs me the most is the basebuilding! I'm really looking forward to what our boys create, these guys are die hard DayZ players so it should be interesting. Thank God I played Arma before Day, I can understand the frustration of most players on the game play. But having said that, I do hope the game remains difficult. Insanely difficult. :) Btw, Zeds are just a speedbump, and I never concidered this game a zombie game. Post apocoliptic sim at best.
  • juggernautJesusjuggernautJesus Member Posts: 16

No. No no no. THIS is what makes Day-Z great. If more developers had a say on it, we would have CoD-Z.  Letting the developer do what he actually WANTS is a huge chunk of what the gaming industry has lost. How could you support that? Focusing on one or a few developers visions and not have them be changed by the stupid masses is what creates innovation and creativity and not generic bullshit. That's where all of the classics came from (which were much much better): the brains of a small group of developers making games that they personally thought were awesome.