Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you pay more...

SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

Would you pay more (monthly fee) for your MMORPG if it meant that you could get several dedicated Dungeon Masters per realm who are putting in ad-hoc stories and encounters in game during normal play time?

Now, I don't mean massive game changing mods, nor do I mean insignificant interventions. They would just roam around the game, and could decide to add additional encounters to a group going through a dungeon, and add a few words here and there stating there is a plot twist. This could be really hard, or easy depending on the type of encounter, and the rewards would be granted at the discretion fo the DM depending on how "well" the group or individual did.

With the right set of tools, the DMs could add whatever they desired, and even, if they wanted, could assume the role of the MOB NPC and use its movement & attacks at will. With several DMs per realm (server), there would be a good chance that during a play session you could be the target or said DMs.

Keeping additional people under one IP would obviously cost more, but would this be something that you would pay more to get?

Comments

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    It does not matter how many you get to click yes the majority will not. Its too tough of a sell.
  • GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Pay more? I don't like what I'm paying now

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    It does not matter how many you get to click yes the majority will not. Its too tough of a sell.

I was not aware you spoke for the mayority. Not everyone is a F2P game jumping fool, and some of us actually come from a DnD background where a good Dungeon Master made for a great time.

If I am in the minority and society has degraded so much that additional social interactions through the use of a DM is something not even concidered, then it is indeed a sad world we live in.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Only a few companies  would get a higher sub from me for development and those companies aren't asking for more money. In the case of Square and FF14 they made me legacy and want less. $15 a month is $180 a year, that's the same as roughly 3 box sales. Companies that know what they are doing factored that in when they made their MMO.
    Originally posted by Sephastus

I was not aware you spoke for the mayority. Not everyone is a F2P game jumping fool, and some of us actually come from a DnD background where a good Dungeon Master made for a great time.

If I am in the minority and society has degraded so much that additional social interactions through the use of a DM is something not even concidered, then it is indeed a sad world we live in.

I do not need to speak for anyone, the math has already been done. The cost in manpower is huge. To balance it out you are looking at a higher price point, or much less profit. Why do you think pretty much all companies outsource their current gm support staff? Some will pay a $20 sub, but most will not.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

Yes, if I enjoyed it.

Never understand the complaints against subscriptions on this site. If I enjoy it, I will happily pay $15 a month for it or $20 or $30. The truth is, if I am having enough fun with a game I would shell out a whole lot more. First a game has to be worth playing at all though.

Originally posted by free2play
    Only a few companies  would get a higher sub from me for development and those companies aren't asking for more money. In the case of Square and FF14 they made me legacy and want less. $15 a month is $180 a year, that's the same as roughly 3 box sales. Companies that know what they are doing factored that in when they made their MMO.

Yes, Square Enix know what they are doing so much their Ceo just stepped down after hitting a $50m shortfall I believe it was. I would have to google the amount.

Sorry, $138m. http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/square-enix-ceo-yoichi-wada-steps-down-as-slow-sales-of-games-like-hitman-absolution-lead-to-massive-company-restructuring/

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

This would be the greatest thing ever but very difficult to do properly. For instance, I played on a NWN2 server that had roughly 1-2 DM's per 70 people and it was very rare I caught a DM related event of any kind. Now imagine a server of 1000. it would literally take, at least, 40+ DM's per server to have any sort of semi consistent experience with them.

No game will ever employ this many people just to DM and if you take them as volunteers it's too risky for the integrity of the server(cheaters). Not saying it's impossible but very difficult and likely more trouble then it's worth. That said, I'd like to see it attempted and it's worth trying a heck of alot more then most of these upcoming flops.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    I would pay more for P2P mmorpg I like .. 15 dollars per month is nothing for the those hundered of hours of fun per month I have, I would be even willign to pay up to 100 dollars per month. I just hope one of TESO, WildStar, ARR, ArchAge will it :)
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I'd like it but I don't think it should be extra for people subbed to to the game. AC had GM events a lot right?
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Yes, Square Enix know what they are doing so much their Ceo just stepped down after hitting a $50m shortfall I believe it was. I would have to google the amount.

Sorry, $138m. http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/square-enix-ceo-yoichi-wada-steps-down-as-slow-sales-of-games-like-hitman-absolution-lead-to-massive-company-restructuring/

I'm sure you can name any company in any industry and I can find a record of them having a bad year. The fact that they lost 140 million and they aren't bankrupt says more about the company than the loss.

The point remains the same. If they need me to pay $15 for FF14 I'd do it. If they need me to pay $18 I'd do it. Similar to CCP. If they asked me to pay $18 for EVE I would do it. A lesser known company, Flying Labs Software who made PotBS. They all share a common element. They have proven they are in it for the long haul. Are they flawed? Welcome to the human race.

The point remains the same. If they need me to pay $15 for FF14 I'd do it. If they need me to pay $18 I'd do it. Similar to CCP. If they asked me to pay $18 for EVE I would do it. A lesser known company, Flying Labs Software who made PotBS. They all share a common element. They have proven they are in it for the long haul. Are they flawed? Welcome to the human race.

The problem being of course that this is not just this year, its been ongoing. That is a large part of why he has now been forced out. Even then the actual financials are very different since that is merely taking into account revenue. Whether they are "in the red" or not, especially after the rather major investments they just made, has yet to be released as far as I know. They are not a company I normally keep up on and really do not care, I was merely illustrating a point that seems to have completely flew over your head. That point being, you are an outlier. They do not really need to pander too much to you because you are going to pay regardless.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

On your high horse? People don't like the same entertainment as you are "fools" now?

Sad world for me. Fun entertainment for me. I will take it everyday.

Pay extra for a DM .. .LOL ... i have played pnp D&D before .. not necessarily more fun than F2P games. For me .. of course. Fun is personal. May be you should learn that before calling other gamers "fools".

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Would you pay more (monthly fee) for your MMORPG if it meant that you could get several dedicated Dungeon Masters per realm who are putting in ad-hoc stories and encounters in game during normal play time?

I can only say that I remember the persistant worlds of NWN. They had DM's who would come in and hold special events.  It might just be a find the egg with rewards, or an invasion of the starting village by vampires or demons where everyone had to group together  to fight them off. I had thought Rift would be like that but the "invasions" became too redundant and stale - imho.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390
    Players already pay too much for what they get from the average MMO.   If you want to play D&D online, they're doing some amazing things with virtual tabletops these days.
  • WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501

Yes, but...

I might not like too much meddleing in PvP..

If the game was all PvE then there could be a lot of GM involvement (could be done by volunteers asweel)

Gotta be careful of favoritism and jealousy though. Cant have GMs giving all the action to a few guilds or be extremely active on a server that is otherwise similar to other servers.

EvE had volounteer run RP events... One I attended was a boring as hell board meeting though... had a bit of a twist at the end. But it was tought to sit through.

It would be interesting to have GMs play entities that roamed the server and didnt have to stick to a script.. But Im not looking for another GIMME. Nor would I appreciate if they just killed random people without warning.. More like "wow was that a dragon flying over?" or "The Gods have noticed us"

Much of this stuff could actually be wrtten in code in modern games.. but I think the abilty for an encounter to go off script would add to most games. Even something as simple as meeting a godlike GM character when you are having an issue, rather than just sending mails back and forth adds a lot.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

It all sounds good, until 10,000 people show up, only 200 will be able to be in the instance with the DM, you will only be able to see 25 because of culling and still have 1/2 or less the FPS as you normally would.

The point is, it doesn't work because there are too many people that will show up. You need a COOP RPG... not a MMO to do this.

Originally posted by Greyface
    Players already pay too much for what they get from the average MMO.   If you want to play D&D online, they're doing some amazing things with virtual tabletops these days.

Nah ... the average MMO is F2P and most player don't pay.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I only say no because I do not agree with the powers you give them.  I see the potential to have them pick favorites and not be impartial in what you are selling.  I need assurances that they will be monitored and if found to be favorable toward one guild/party/person that they are fired.  I would rather them have less direct control of a mob and more cause a wave of NPC's rush over a zone and the GM could possibley direct the horde to attack certain areas causing PC's to have to rush to defend or everything there is destroyed and would take time to rebuild possibly by the players if they could work it.
  • zekeofevzekeofev Member UncommonPosts: 240

I would be willing to pay a sub fee and probably a higher sub fee for such a game. But I despise models where one group of players can pay more than another group of players for more content. It just creates haves and have nots and wedges community. I hate free to play with a passion.

But yes, I would like a game like this. Reminds me of the old GM days.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

The early EQ Counselor program required "some" roleplaying.

I know several EQ GM's that took the in-game time as an oppertunity to role play and creat ad-hoc stories (ie adventures, or quests..etc)

In beta Brad McQuaid (Aradune), picked me up and flew me into the air and dropped me...       

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Even so.

Even so.

Even so what? Do you agree, or not?

• osiriszoranosiriszoran Member Posts: 86
    The game companies could always just hire volunteers for GM spots. Who wouldnt want to volunteer for that?

Even so.

Even so what? Do you agree, or not?

As in, most MMOs are overpriced at free.  I was being pithy. 

All snarkiness aside, I'm fairly sure you're correct about F2P games.  For those who do pay -- whether via subs or cash shops -- the prices are vastly out of proportion with what you actually get.  And that's probably why so few choose to pay anything when given the option. 

Case in point: the OP is asking whether people would be willing to pay higher subscription fees for a feature that used to be included in the cost of a subscription.