Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Eldevin: First Steps Into the Indie MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Eldevin is gaining traction with MMO players looking for something different. We have a great preview of the earliest experiences players will see in Eldevin. Check it out before discussing the game in the comments.

Eldevin is a free to play browser based MMORPG from Hunted Cows Studios. Due out later this year Eldevin is currently in closed beta and it is expected to enter open beta within the next few months.  Eldevin takes place in a 3D world where you have a third person top down view of your character. The WASD keys in this game are used to move the camera elevation and rotate the camera view. You use your left mouse to click to move like you would in most modern action role playing games (ARPG) and you use your right mouse button to interact with objects in the world. So far the brightest spot of Eldevin is the in depth character development. 

Read more of Rob Lashley's Eldevin: First Steps Into the Indie MMO.

Running Around the World

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• HCS-RadnetoHCS-Radneto Member Posts: 64
    Hi Robert, thanks for the great review! We'll have the full screen mode for higher end computers ready next week! Here is a preview - http://files.huntedcow.com/eldevin/1920x1080_fullscreen.jpg

Currently working around the clock on Eldevin

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Looking forward to it.
  • ObzzarverObzzarver Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Interesting, me needs to take a look at this more closely :)

Honest none-summarized friendly gameplay videos with commentary: MMO previews / Gametesting / Let's Play:

www.youtube.com/user/Obzzarver

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Looks worth keeping tabs on.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Ill come try it again with full screen for sure.

• ShurayShuray Member Posts: 3
    Looks nice
  • JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Woot ! Another cool little game to keep on my radar ! Thanks for keeping us in the loop mmorpg.com
  • fabiofloydfabiofloyd Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Tired of goblins and imps
  • TheelyTheely Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I personally hate diablo-style inventory systems. Over all looks nice though.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346

"Perhaps the most disappointing feature in the game now is the viewing area. There is not an option to play the game in fullscreen. You end up using less than half of the viewable area on your monitor."

You know what happens when you try to make a 3D game without using any graphics API that lets you offload most of the computations onto the video card?  Well, that does, basically.  Making a full screen mode is probably easy to do.  Making a full screen mode that doesn't kill your performance is a different matter entirely.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by fabiofloyd
    Tired of goblins and imps

What game made you tired of imps?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    very interesting. I wish i could map the camera movement to the arrow keys and walk with WASD. Point and click is not for me. Aside from that, sounds interesting indeed.

• afroduckafroduck Member UncommonPosts: 23
    looks very runescapey
  • mrbreckmrbreck Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Oh God no, inventory Tetris .... whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?????
  • GilnidorGilnidor Member UncommonPosts: 115

Well all the games I played over the years with goblins and imps are endless. 

To mention a few:

Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online, Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft, RaiderZ.

And I could add so many more then that.

I want to see new enemies to interact with or kill. Most of todays MMORPG's is a copy of the most popular MMORPG's from the past, sure it has more cowbells and shiny effects, but in the end it is a clone and mishmash of ideas taken from previous succesful MMORPG's.

Just my 2 cents

Regards from Patsuriku

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

Here is a Beta Key for Eldevin. 

ELSZ-CVPD-FGPV-DHXC

• troyautroyau Member UncommonPosts: 8

It has promise, I tried it for a bit and found the lack of fullscreen off-putting. Will definitely give it a second look once fullscreen goes live. 

Here are a few keys for anyone that doesn't have one.

ELBK-EBKB-AWJE-SYCV

ELYJ-GEVV-VXQA-HPHE

ELHU-VCFT-HSDC-CDET

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

It is what you call 2 1/2 D.  You would think a reviewer would know that.

Anyways I wish them luck, the genre needs new blood that tries to be different.

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619

I kinda have to agree with others here. Tried it out and its just not for me. But I am looking forward to full screen, and will gladly give it another go then. It seems silly that something like that makes a difference, but it really does. 

Also because others here have already, heres some beta keys:

ELWM-GVGG-GMSZ-CHXD

ELHV-KMCP-BQEU-QVTW

First come, first served, and enjoy :P

• SkraggSkragg Member Posts: 9
    Thanks troyau (I used up ELHU-VCFT-HSDC-CDET).