Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need your help

EvilMixEvilMix Member Posts: 251
okay, I built a new Pc thanks to the help from the people on this website, i built it only 3 or so month ago, its been running better than what I expected. but now im running into a constant freezing problem where the Pc will randomly freeze for no real reason, I also was receiving a "error reading operating system" or something like that, that error randomly went away when I switched the boot priority to load from a disk first, i've changed it back since and that problem I still haven't gotten again.

but this constant freezing is really frustrating, and nobody is able to tell me what the problem is yet. ive ran plenty of disk defrags, disk checks (which seems to of caused this problem again) virus scans, memtests, everything comes back fine. i consider myself to be pretty good with computers as I spend a lot of time on them, I can pretty much never catch a virus, or any of that, as I only game, check emails and go on Youtube anyways.

there is one thing that has been happening with my pc since the beginning, and thats a hard to explain like booting noise, you can hear the fan speed up or something. and it sounds like its looping itself, and that will happen randomly when I right click on something.

I hope ive given you guys enough detail, please help me out once again!

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    What sort of freezing is it?  Monitor seems to stop updating?  Black screen?  Everything locks up momentarily but then starts again?  Or is it just particular programs that seem to lock up while the OS and other programs are fine?
  • EvilMixEvilMix Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    What sort of freezing is it?  Monitor seems to stop updating?  Black screen?  Everything locks up momentarily but then starts again?  Or is it just particular programs that seem to lock up while the OS and other programs are fine?

the last freeze it did was when I tried opening steam, but it happens randomly even when Im just playing a game or on youtube. everything freezes and im unable to move anything, close, and Im just left to restart the PC and hope nothing else messes up again, like im doing now.

Originally posted by Aori

Try a clean install of windows. Could be a corrupt windows or driver issue.

Or if you have another GPU or intergrated graphics try using one of those and see if the freezing continues if you don't want to reinstall windows.

As for the noise, it could be the optical drive if you have a disk in it. They make a loud rev noise when reading and can be confused with a fan.

thanks for the suggestion buddy, im holding off on the full wipe of windows because id rather not lose everything unless i know thats what i need to do. I only have 1 graphics card, and the noise is different from a optical drive, it sounds like something trying to run but just hooking and repeating itself like 3-4 times, and its high pitched compared to just a regular fan running.

Originally posted by EvilMix

Try a clean install of windows. Could be a corrupt windows or driver issue.

Or if you have another GPU or intergrated graphics try using one of those and see if the freezing continues if you don't want to reinstall windows.

As for the noise, it could be the optical drive if you have a disk in it. They make a loud rev noise when reading and can be confused with a fan.

thanks for the suggestion buddy, im holding off on the full wipe of windows because id rather not lose everything unless i know thats what i need to do. I only have 1 graphics card, and the noise is different from a optical drive, it sounds like something trying to run but just hooking and repeating itself like 3-4 times, and its high pitched compared to just a regular fan running.

Take off the side of the case and listen for it, the only way to find out what it is. Could be your PSU or GPU which may mean something is overheating causing the freezing.

the 2 temperatures i see in the boot menu are anywhere between 31-38, I even got an extra fan on the processor when I built the PC

good point, it just happens so randomly, sometimes it wont happen for a week. there's lots of holes in the top of my computer case to let air through, and through the front, back and sides. its usually cooler in there than it is in my room lol. and the noise happens so quickly, its hard to tell where its coming from, other than "its just my PC"
    appreciate the help, if thats what I have to do then thats what I'll do. but I think I'll start with the full wipe of windows if those are my only options. is there any way to find out what my current Windows 7 key is? it was on an old computer casing that my brother had lol
    nah the key was unused, just attached to the side of my old PC case and never got used, until I got this new PC. but now im without the key
    update: okay, so I just tried to open steam agian and I heard that same noise, and my PC froze. seems like the noise and the freezing is connected, but why steam? I know it hasn't ALL been steams fault.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Quizzical

the last freeze it did was when I tried opening steam, but it happens randomly even when Im just playing a game or on youtube. everything freezes and im unable to move anything, close, and Im just left to restart the PC and hope nothing else messes up again, like im doing now.

You built this yourself?  Could the something have gotten bent when installing the cpu?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

well it was me and my brother, he did pretty much everything because he's actually built PCs before.
  • miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

When you say the Windows 7 Key was on the side of an old computer I'll assume that computer had a version of Windows 7 installed on it?  If that is the case and it was a prebuilt system that key was in fact used on that old system.  Prebuilt systems rarely come with an install disk because they are OEM copies which are not meant to be used in a new build, that is why they stick the keys onto the side of case, for reference if you need to do a fresh install on that same system.  If any of the aforementioned is true you are most likely using a version fo Windows 7 which you are not suppose to be using in a new system.  I'm not saying that would cause your issues at hand but is worth taking note of if you weren't aware.

The noise you describe could easily be your PSU.  Many PSU's suffer from what is known as coil whine that for many isn't audible until the PSU is pushed a bit.  Coil whine can also just as easily effect GPU's and other parts of your system but the PSU/GPU are the most common.  System freezes can also be equated to the PSU as I've had that issue in that past and a new PSU did the trick, though there is no guarantee that is the problem in your case.  Could you do us a favor and list all the parts in your PC, perhaps we can try and trouble shoot from there.  Oh and I hope you didn't run defrag on a SSD, not only is it unnecessary it's could potentially harm the SSD.

An example of coil whine: 

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Do you have a regular Hard Drive or an SSD?

That noise could be the Dying Hard Drive Sound of Doom(tm).

Disk checks rarely can catch a mechanical hard drive failure, such as bearing or motor failure which just cause the drive to sputter and stop and make weird noises. They can usually only detect something like flaking or platter collision, something that would cause a lot of data corruption.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    A full detail spec list of your computer's hardware will help greatly, like others have mentioned.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Do you have a regular Hard Drive or an SSD?

That noise could be the Dying Hard Drive Sound of Doom(tm).

Disk checks rarely can catch a mechanical hard drive failure, such as bearing or motor failure which just cause the drive to sputter and stop and make weird noises. They can usually only detect something like flaking or platter collision, something that would cause a lot of data corruption.

Thats what I was thinking as well.

Sounds like your HDD failing. Could also be a whine from your PSU.

Also do you have anything overclocked? If so the 1st thing I would do is put everything at default. If no OC then I would take a hard look at the HDD. Maybe open the side of the case and actually listen to try and pinpoint where its coming from.

Did you reuse any old parts in the build? Like reuse an old HDD or PSU?

A list of your pc components would help, as well as if you bought them all new or reused old components.

Okay so I'll give you guys all my PC specs that I can remember.

I have a GTX 560 graphics card, 16 gb of ram, i5 3770k 3.4ghz processor, I currently have a refurbished SSD that has Windows and my main games on it, and then I have a 1 TB HDD I put files I don't really use often on.

oh, and when the PC was first built I was having problems with the 1tb HDD, that was my main one and it had windows and stuff on it, but it would randomly freeze and run REALLY slow as well. Maybe it's the HDD that's causing the freezing? I really hope it's not my SSD or processor, because that's alot of $$ I won't have until next Christmas.

edit: and now that I'm looking at it, the HDD has Steam on it, the program that's making my PC crash as of late.

edit#2: going to try running steam one last time, if that crashes my PC im going to erase steam off of the HDD and put it on my SSD and see if that works.

If you suspect the hard drive, then you could try physically unplugging it and seeing if you can still make the computer crash without the hard drive being plugged in.

How old is the hard drive?

The harddive was never used before when I got it, going to unplug it now, just got a blue screen of death trying to uninstall Steam from add or remove programs.

oh, and when the PC was first built I was having problems with the 1tb HDD, that was my main one and it had windows and stuff on it, but it would randomly freeze and run REALLY slow as well. Maybe it's the HDD that's causing the freezing? I really hope it's not my SSD or processor, because that's alot of $$ I won't have until next Christmas.

edit: and now that I'm looking at it, the HDD has Steam on it, the program that's making my PC crash as of late.

edit#2: going to try running steam one last time, if that crashes my PC im going to erase steam off of the HDD and put it on my SSD and see if that works.

Edit: NM
    my PC started up way faster, with no error messages, and is loading everything noticeably quicker now, since the HDD has been removed. Maybe that was my whole problem? Which still sucks I lose money and will have 200gb to use for 1 year. 
    now my only problem are with steam and another program that were on my HDD, they won't uninstall and it won't let me install them because it's saying invalid drive: F (which was my HDD)
    The harddive was never used before when I got it, going to unplug it now, just got a blue screen of death trying to uninstall Steam from add or remove programs.

Well then, when did you get the hard drive?  If you just got it a few months ago, it should still be under warranty.  If you got it several years ago, then hard drives are likely to fail after a while.

I got the HDD like 3-4 months ago max.
    Then it's probably still under warranty, so you might want to try sending it in for a replacement.

I would definatly contact them about a replacement if its 3-4 months old.

As for steam I would make sure any and all steam related files are removed. I know steam allows game installs to seperate drives. Sounds like you may have some steam files installed somewhere they shouldnt be.