Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for mmo with engrossing, In-depth character customization (like DDO)

Chobo991Chobo991 Member Posts: 1

Looking for mmo with very engrossing and In-depth character customization (like Dungeons & Dragons Online)

I know I won't find anything close in terms of the amount of character customization that can be done as DDO, (because that is based on the pen & paper model).

By in-depth customization, I mean mind-boggling number of possible character builds, the ability to build your character in a ways that the Devs didn't even anticipate, and still be very successful. 

For contrast, a game like WoW, or Tera or LOTRO, are the opposite of an in-depth system. They are more stream-lined, user-friendly, and shallow in terms of character customization options.

Any help?

thx in advance

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dont know what could i recommend on the lines of DDO, didnt play enough of DDO to see how indepth was the character customization, but the rest of what i played i didnt like at all.

I'll keep an eye on other answers to see if i might be interested in some of the recommendations as well.

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

If you haven't tried The Secret World that might be as close as any have gotten in terms of theory crafting and meta game. The skill system allows for numerous roles. You buy the skills with AP and then form "decks" of 7 active skills and 7 passive skills. It's B2P, but if you want to give it a try PM me with email and I'll send you a buddy key.

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418

Take a look at path of exile the skill tree alone is insane. As suggested above Secret World is a good one as well. Other then going back to ddo there isn't many options in the current market.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

The Secret World

The Secret World has a great character build system.  It is a skill wheel that you unlock as you level.  You're limited in build choices until you unlock more skills on the wheel.  The more you unlock the more variety and potential you gain for different trait/skill synergies.

while i agree with most of your post i never agreed with this. Funcom just hid the leveling systen behind the skill wheel. Its a linear progression with each weapon because you have to unlock everything (even the skills you dont want or need) to unlock the next wheel of skills. The amount of skills and variation is great, but being forced to unlock everything to get to the ones you really want is not a very good system. The idea of "no levels" and wheel system was phenomenal but the execution fell short.

In my opinion.

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456
    I agree, in DDO you almost have to plan your entire character out from the beginning. If you don't you might miss out on feats and enhancements that you'll need later, and won't be able to get them because you don't meet the prerequiste. With TSW as long as you have the skills you can pretty much build on the fly.
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    The entire game of tsw fell short, its just another wow clone with little to make it diffrent. I haven't played a mmorpg in a while because they all just seem like trash to me, since they all pretty much use the exact same frigging gameplay as wow with 0 deviation from it. Makes me mad how blizzard prettty much destroyed mmorpgs by themselves. Then again gaming in general has gone down the shitter, because devs keep overly dumbing down there games for the stupid casuals. Look at the most recent example: Bioshock 1 and 2 compared to infinite. Infinite is missing alot of the features that made the first 2 bioshocks good, no hacking, the camera system is gone, and other changes.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• potacopotaco Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Siveria
    The entire game of tsw fell short, its just another wow clone with little to make it diffrent. I haven't played a mmorpg in a while because they all just seem like trash to me, since they all pretty much use the exact same frigging gameplay as wow with 0 deviation from it. Makes me mad how blizzard prettty much destroyed mmorpgs by themselves. Then again gaming in general has gone down the shitter, because devs keep overly dumbing down there games for the stupid casuals. Look at the most recent example: Bioshock 1 and 2 compared to infinite. Infinite is missing alot of the features that made the first 2 bioshocks good, no hacking, the camera system is gone, and other changes.

You're going to blame Blizzard for doing something successful that other companies have been trying to copy for years?

Why wouldn't you blame the other companies that are doing the copying? Blizzard has had one MMO. It's not like they are the ones developing the hundreds of "WoW clones".

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Cant forget EVE Online.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Siveria

I dont know about the WoW clone stuff, but yeah TSW wasn't a very good game and you ahve to pay for it....I liked Funcom's first game (Anarchy Online) much better and it is THE game for twinking......The great thing about it is the more skilled you are at building your character the stronger you will be.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I played DDO i do not remember any kind of engrossing character design,otherwise i definitely would have stayed in the game longer.I basically quit first week.

Every game is doing bits and pieces,none are complete.

EQ2 has race,AA's,class,really nothing more.Other games copy variations of.

FFXI has race,class,similar form of AA's but it does the RACE part way better than any other game.Not for abilities [like i said,bits and pieces,nothing complete].Example you pick a Taru the difference is huge in MP ..HP and other stats as well.What sets FFXI apart is the sub class design,it is the best out there,nobody comes close,not even Runes of Magic who was i think the first to copy it.Sub class is imo a sorely missed part of every game design.

Other than the basics and FFXI's sub class,games are not putting depth into the character.Sadly they are not putting depth into the rest of the games either.

It is without question a BIG mistake,but since nobody is pushing the standards,there is no reason for devs to put out more effort.Players identify MOST with their character,you would think a SMART dev would easily understand that and design his game to be better than all the rest.I have no doubt ,that there will be a dev that brings us innovation and higher standards and more depth to our characters.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.