Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dear ZOS, Please Don't Let Paul Sage Wreck This Game...

Comments

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Qallidexz
    Originally posted by tkreep
    How will that destroy PvP in cyrodil, you can still go there and fight other players of other factions.  Its like saying we cant talk to other people of other factions in real life likie we cant talk to people in the middle east or something lol.

This has been explained countless times, if you don't know wtf you're talking about, please refrain from posting... or find this information in another thread. Ty.

I do look at other threads and its pretty much like all the RvR fans want a limited closed game for the sake of their geeky little faction pride thing.

LOL. Faction Pride is what drives PvP... Sorry if we don't want to hold hands and pick flowers with the enemy like you little carebears...

Or we could just choose our own guilds/factions/alliances regardless of forced  "faction pride" and just ffa pvp it for those who want to pvp. So carebear that.

Good on him. Open it all up.

edit: though to be honest I see no reason not to let the world act like a giant Elder Scrolls game and then have the "armies" handle the faction pride part.

Not everyone will want to be part of a conflict. But if we are going to pvp then let's really pvp and choose our own groups thank you very much.

I support this 100%

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    How will that destroy PvP in cyrodil, you can still go there and fight other players of other factions.  Its like saying we cant talk to other people of other factions in real life likie we cant talk to people in the middle east or something lol.

This has been explained countless times, if you don't know wtf you're talking about, please refrain from posting... or find this information in another thread. Ty.

I do look at other threads and its pretty much like all the RvR fans want a limited closed game for the sake of their geeky little faction pride thing.

LOL. Faction Pride is what drives PvP... Sorry if we don't want to hold hands and pick flowers with the enemy like you little carebears...

Or we could just choose our own guilds/factions/alliances regardless of forced  "faction pride" and just ffa pvp it for those who want to pvp. So carebear that.

Good on him. Open it all up.

edit: though to be honest I see no reason not to let the world act like a giant Elder Scrolls game and then have the "armies" handle the faction pride part.

Not everyone will want to be part of a conflict. But if we are going to pvp then let's really pvp and choose our own groups thank you very much.

Exactly...

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

I don't think ZoS knows exactly what the final decision is going to be.  There won't be open world PvP in non-Cyrodil zones regardless so if we do interact with the other faction it will be mainly for PvE.  It can work and I don't see it being a big deal.  We can hold hands in non-Cyrodil areas but the competitive spirit can come alive in PvP.  I have some of the best PvP against people I know and personal friends.  Sometimes fights between friends are the most brutal.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Faction pride is a joke in canned PvP. Unless they not only open up alll areas from the start with open world PvP then it is all meaningless. GW2, TSW and now TESO getting PvP wrong by design...pathetic.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by dumpcat
    Faction pride is a joke in canned PvP. Unless they not only open up alll areas from the start with open world PvP then it is all meaningless. GW2, TSW and now TESO getting PvP wrong by design...pathetic.

Ya I always enjoyed pvp in the open world where its spontaneous than a battle ground you sign up for.  Cyrodil is just a glorified battle ground.

• DreskestDreskest Member Posts: 69

When the final product is live, I'll play it and if I don't find it that entertaining, I'll just move on.

I suggest you do the same. It's just another videogame.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Really? How so? So far we from what they have said, we know there is no open world PvP.
  • AnakamiAnakami Member Posts: 103
    Originally posted by dumpcat
    Really? How so? So far we from what they have said, we know there is no open world PvP.

Exactly. The only time we would actively fight an opposing faction would be in Cyrodill anyway. So why care about what is going on in the PvE part of Tamriel? Me being able to play with my friends from lvl 1 regardless of race choice does not diminish my will to PvP in the least. Quite the opposite really because now I have a lot fo fun in the PvE part and can call it Elder Scrolls and also enjoy PvP when I feel like it :)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Anakami

Exactly. The only time we would actively fight an opposing faction would be in Cyrodill anyway. So why care about what is going on in the PvE part of Tamriel? Me being able to play with my friends from lvl 1 regardless of race choice does not diminish my will to PvP in the least. Quite the opposite really because now I have a lot fo fun in the PvE part and can call it Elder Scrolls and also enjoy PvP when I feel like it :)

Thank you. image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    TESO is going to be a repeat of SWTOR, just not in space.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by bingbongbros
    TESO is going to be a repeat of SWTOR, just not in space.

If Paul Sage gets his way, then yes... The ElTOR Scrolls Online. heh

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

As always:

It's called Elder Scrolls Online, not Dark Age of Camelot 2.   They were trying to get the huge TES fanbase into the game, and as such they have to actually pay attention to the interests of the Elder Scrolls fans.  If they'd done their game with a new world and campaign, no one would be here complaining.   Of course, they might not sell nearly as many copies, hence the leveraging of the Elder Scrolls world.

There are many interested in the game who don't care about manufactured 'faction pride', or the other shoehorned-in PVP aspects.   We'll see how much of a strategic error that turns out to be.  Failure of vision, imo.  The game should have really used something like the Vanguard model for its design.   While it wouldn't appeal to the DAoC crew, it would definitely fit the fans of Morrowind, Skyrim, et al.  

I can understand the DAoC fans being a little antsy about this, but that's what can happen with mismatches.  Sales have to scale properly with the money invested in  building the game.   And sales of Skyrim alone would probably dwarf the Dark Ages numbers.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

I sort of lost interest in this one when the factions were announced.  Maybe it was because I was on the Alliance, but I never knew 'faction pride' even existed.  I guess that explains why everybody on the Horde tried so hard.  Pride in a game like Shadowbane actually mattered; pride in a game where the developers make the teams... I just don't get it.  Maybe this attitude is a holdover from DAoC- there were/are (lol) some pretty rabid players; but I was too busy playing AC at the time to care- again, a game where you get to decide who you is part of your team. 

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

There was a TON of confusion recently, based on the recent article where Richie Procopio of Massively said: 

"Sage assuaged most of my fears, however, when he mentioned that once you hit level 50 and decide to play in another alliance's areas, you'll be able to play with friends in that faction. So at the endgame, things begin to open up and you can group up, chat, and run dungeons with players of other factions. The one area where things remain separate is, of course, the Alliance War in Cyrodiil."

However, at that same Media Event Maria Alipraondo gave a VERY different story, saying that people will NOT be allowed to talk with, or even see, people from other factions, but that the 50++ other-factions zones, would instead be instanced for Alliance, and Matt Firor seemed to indicate the exact same thing in his interview...

HOWEVER, today, the same guy, Richie Procopio, said in a video uploaded to youtube, that he caught up with Sage at PAX for some clarification on this, APPARENTLY, according to Sage, he's now  thinking of NOT ONLY allowing players at 50 to group with, and chat with, people of other realms, but ALSO, allow people to do this FROM LEVEL 1! I don't think I have to tell anyone here how that will utterly destory the faction-based PvP (do I?). Sounds like this is something Sage wants personally... 

HE WANTS all 3 factions to be meaningless in a purely PvE focused, hold-hands with the enemies and skip through the meadows picking flowers together type game... HE WANTS to destroy EVERYTHING Brian Wheeler and his team worked so hard on for years, in one fell swoop... PLEASE DO NOT MAKE PVP A COMPLETE JOKE, AND BACKSTAB ALL THE RvR FAN SUPPORT YOU'VE GOTTEN OVER THE PAST YEAR... PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW Paul "The Carebear" Sage TO RUIN THIS GAME. If people can group with, talk with, play with, people from other factions, then at the end of the day, Faction pride won't exist, and PvP will be 100% meaningless, like it is in GW2. Please don't turn on your entire PvP fanbase with one quick decision. You might as well HAND Camelot Unchained  your entire PvP-loving playerbase if you do this...

How did you get the satatus you have with a thread like this? Should be kicked to one star until you can curb your exaggerated ideas.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    I want some proof of this...  proof that Paul Sage said this, which is contradictarory to what the rest of the team says and proof that other people in the team confirm this before i take rumors like this serious..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by Kinchyle

There was a TON of confusion recently, based on the recent article where Richie Procopio of Massively said: 

"Sage assuaged most of my fears, however, when he mentioned that once you hit level 50 and decide to play in another alliance's areas, you'll be able to play with friends in that faction. So at the endgame, things begin to open up and you can group up, chat, and run dungeons with players of other factions. The one area where things remain separate is, of course, the Alliance War in Cyrodiil."

However, at that same Media Event Maria Alipraondo gave a VERY different story, saying that people will NOT be allowed to talk with, or even see, people from other factions, but that the 50++ other-factions zones, would instead be instanced for Alliance, and Matt Firor seemed to indicate the exact same thing in his interview...

HOWEVER, today, the same guy, Richie Procopio, said in a video uploaded to youtube, that he caught up with Sage at PAX for some clarification on this, APPARENTLY, according to Sage, he's now  thinking of NOT ONLY allowing players at 50 to group with, and chat with, people of other realms, but ALSO, allow people to do this FROM LEVEL 1! I don't think I have to tell anyone here how that will utterly destory the faction-based PvP (do I?). Sounds like this is something Sage wants personally... 

HE WANTS all 3 factions to be meaningless in a purely PvE focused, hold-hands with the enemies and skip through the meadows picking flowers together type game... HE WANTS to destroy EVERYTHING Brian Wheeler and his team worked so hard on for years, in one fell swoop... PLEASE DO NOT MAKE PVP A COMPLETE JOKE, AND BACKSTAB ALL THE RvR FAN SUPPORT YOU'VE GOTTEN OVER THE PAST YEAR... PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW Paul "The Carebear" Sage TO RUIN THIS GAME. If people can group with, talk with, play with, people from other factions, then at the end of the day, Faction pride won't exist, and PvP will be 100% meaningless, like it is in GW2. Please don't turn on your entire PvP fanbase with one quick decision. You might as well HAND Camelot Unchained  your entire PvP-loving playerbase if you do this...

How did you get the satatus you have with a thread like this? Should be kicked to one star until you can curb your exaggerated ideas.

Hey man, I'm not afraid to speak the truth. sorry if you don't wanna hear it.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

More rumors about rumors, eh?

If they think separating the factions caused a backlash, just wait for the shitstorm that will hit them if they back away from it.

It wouldn't even be about whether it's a better or worse design, it'd be about a group of developers acting like clueless clowns with no idea where they're going with this.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

So I dont get really get it if this is all true.

Does that mean you can walk into the other faction whenever you want and there is no more instanced off/invisible walls before level 50? Or maybe they just mean you can dungeon with them before 50 or something.

Does that mean you can randomly go meet your friend in the other faction and somehow be on the same questline as him?

I'd ask why there would even be factions then, but it's obvious that Cyrodill is a big selling point for their end-game. But really it feels like there shouldnt be factions anymore if that is their plan. I remember in WoW people would go on the forums to talk to the players of other factions. That'll be weird that you can fully talk with them.. And a big part of end game being alliance vs alliance vs alliance.

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    NOBODY cares about teaming with other factions...but if you still want to team up with other factions make those areas PVPFFA zones. 
  • PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Looks like the ESO staff figured out the PVP crowd is not as important as they would like to think, good move, the revenue stream doesn't revolve around nerd raging teens. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Don't know if anyone bothered to link Richie Procopio's video in question so here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bogotter

Notice that he's saying  things like: "I got the sense that..." "he alluded to..." and equally vague garbage. There are no hard facts here just more speculaltion from the same dude that wrote the original article that's contrary to what everyone else wrote.

I wouldn't worry about it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    He is either lying to get hits on his site or Paul Sage has a man crush on him and spills information he hasnt to anyone else. If its true, it will be sad for what the game could of been and I will reserve playing it for a month or two to see how fast people leave after burning through all the PvE content because the PvP will be an afterthought kind of like how GW2 approached it. Either way the game keeps falling further on my hype meter after hearing all this crapification that is going down.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

So it seems that finally they realise that faction locking the races is going to cause problems, fine if they really want to capture the DAoC playerbase (all 250k of themimage)  but if they want to grab a significant portion of the Elder Scrolls players (millions..image) then maybe they have to make the game enough like Elder Scrolls to entice them in, and if that means opening up the world rather than faction locking the areas, then thats what they will have to do,  Elder Scrolls players will often have a 'racial favourite' type which they play from game to game, if they want to do this in ESO and still be able to play with their friends who might also have a 'personal favourite' then the game is going to have to be able to support it.

Its fine to leave cyrodil as the PVP area, i don't think anyone is really complaining about that, at least not much, but by allowing the PVE players to just play the game without some crazy restrictions will only make the game more popular. Some of them might even end up joining the PVP'ers in Cyrodil, how is that not a Win Win for both camps?image

• SentnlSentnl Member Posts: 73

Cryodiil doesn't sound anything like gw2's wvw zone, it sounds much larger... and by the look of the map, I would say if it fits the same ratio, its pretty damn big.

Also looks more like warhammer pvp zones, where all sides inevitably come to the same area to play the game, and contension happens - it was a great system! (war just messed it up)

I sometimes play under the alias "Exposed". Don't tell anybody.

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    I may not be a master of lore for Elder scrolls games, but aren't the factions in ESO set up so the 3 most popular races are separated for population's sake?
This discussion has been closed.