Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dear ZOS, Please Don't Let Paul Sage Wreck This Game...

There was a TON of confusion recently, based on the recent article where Richie Procopio of Massively said: 

"Sage assuaged most of my fears, however, when he mentioned that once you hit level 50 and decide to play in another alliance's areas, you'll be able to play with friends in that faction. So at the endgame, things begin to open up and you can group up, chat, and run dungeons with players of other factions. The one area where things remain separate is, of course, the Alliance War in Cyrodiil."

However, at that same Media Event Maria Alipraondo gave a VERY different story, saying that people will NOT be allowed to talk with, or even see, people from other factions, but that the 50++ other-factions zones, would instead be instanced for Alliance, and Matt Firor seemed to indicate the exact same thing in his interview...

HOWEVER, today, the same guy, Richie Procopio, said in a video uploaded to youtube, that he caught up with Sage at PAX for some clarification on this, APPARENTLY, according to Sage, he's now  thinking of NOT ONLY allowing players at 50 to group with, and chat with, people of other realms, but ALSO, allow people to do this FROM LEVEL 1! I don't think I have to tell anyone here how that will utterly destory the faction-based PvP (do I?). Sounds like this is something Sage wants personally... 

HE WANTS all 3 factions to be meaningless in a purely PvE focused, hold-hands with the enemies and skip through the meadows picking flowers together type game... HE WANTS to destroy EVERYTHING Brian Wheeler and his team worked so hard on for years, in one fell swoop... PLEASE DO NOT MAKE PVP A COMPLETE JOKE, AND BACKSTAB ALL THE RvR FAN SUPPORT YOU'VE GOTTEN OVER THE PAST YEAR... PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW Paul "The Carebear" Sage TO RUIN THIS GAME. If people can group with, talk with, play with, people from other factions, then at the end of the day, Faction pride won't exist, and PvP will be 100% meaningless, like it is in GW2. Please don't turn on your entire PvP fanbase with one quick decision. You might as well HAND Camelot Unchained  your entire PvP-loving playerbase if you do this...

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    How will that destroy PvP in cyrodil, you can still go there and fight other players of other factions.  Its like saying we cant talk to other people of other factions in real life likie we cant talk to people in the middle east or something lol.
  • QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by tkreep
    How will that destroy PvP in cyrodil, you can still go there and fight other players of other factions.  Its like saying we cant talk to other people of other factions in real life likie we cant talk to people in the middle east or something lol.

This has been explained countless times, if you don't know wtf you're talking about, please refrain from posting... or find this information in another thread. Ty.

• CobraLord1CobraLord1 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    you are totally right i also think it would kill the pvp aspect of it i dont want to hold hands with theo ther factions and sing kumbaya with any faction outside of mines lol but still players cant still spy on others with skype they dont need to chat in game there is other ways to spy but i hope paul sage keeps this from happening
    Originally posted by Qallidexz

This has been explained countless times, if you don't know wtf you're talking about, please refrain from posting... or find this information in another thread. Ty.

I do look at other threads and its pretty much like all the RvR fans want a limited closed game for the sake of their geeky little faction pride thing.

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138

No you can't fight them.  It seems to be either 

1. you can group up with, but not fight, members of another faction 

or

2. when you travel to another factions territory it will be instanced to your faction and only npc's are present.

I've heard both as well and both options are terrible in my opinion.  I don't understand why they are trying to please everyone because when you do that no one is happy.  They either need to say this is a pvp focused game with some pve elements or vice versa because at the moment it doesn't seem to know which direction it wants to go.

I like the idea of adventure zones for PvE but allowing you to group with members of the other faction seems to be a terrible way to go.  Why even have factions then?

I liked vanilla WoW where huge battles occured in contested zones between factions.  That, in my opinion, is how you build faction pride (I never played daoc, don't shoot me).

• AnakamiAnakami Member Posts: 103

Can't find the video, but if what you say is true, then that's the best news I've heard in a while :)

As an Elder Scrolls fan I can't describe how much it bugs me that there are closed off faction zones and add to that the fact that you cannot even speak to the other races, it kinda ruined for me the ES elements that they did get right.

Btw, I also think that if they set up their 3 factions as agenda driven there won't be any issues with PvP. As a PvPer myself I am a lot more interested in fighting for a faction if I can freely choose whom I support.

Mav I agree my friend I hope they truly dont screw this up....if they dont i can see this game being the next big thing, its possible agreed?

I do look at other threads and its pretty much like all the RvR fans want a limited closed game for the sake of their geeky little faction pride thing.

LOL. Faction Pride is what drives PvP... Sorry if we don't want to hold hands and pick flowers with the enemy like you little carebears...

hahahahahaha

LOL. Faction Pride is what drives PvP... Sorry if we don't want to hold hands and pick flowers with the enemy like you little carebears...

I PvP a lot in mmos but i could care less about faction pride and I dont think most people care as long as theres a PvP mode like battle grounds which is what cyrodil is.  I never played a elder scrolls game where i cant interact with characters of other factions.  Besides if i want real PvP action i mainly play halo or call of duty and such. its just a video game.

I PvP a lot in mmos but i could care less about faction pride and I dont think most people care as long as theres a PvP mode like battle grounds which is what cyrodil is.  I never played a elder scrolls game where i cant interact with characters of other factions.  Besides if i want real PvP action i mainly play halo or call of duty and such. its just a video game.

ROFLMFAO... Oh.... I am SO not justifying that with a response. :D lol

Hm, I am afraid there won't be any agreement between the two camps here. I can understand where you are coming from and if this weren't set in the ES universe I would agree. I suppose it will come down to this:

They either cater to the RvR/PvP fans who just want a good PvP game and don't care that  much about lore and whether it fits the IP or not.

Or they cater to the ES fans and those who are mainly interested in a good PvE experience.

As both a PvPer and an ES fan I would like them to keep their PvP model but make it fit more into the ES setting. If they don't make it race based it does not matter who plays with what race, it is more about agreeing with a particular agenda/approach and wanting to fight for that.

Originally posted by Anakami

Hm, I am afraid there won't be any agreement between the two camps here. I can understand where you are coming from and if this weren't set in the ES universe I would agree. I suppose it will come down to this:

They either cater to the RvR/PvP fans who just want a good PvP game and don't care that  much about lore and whether it fits the IP or not.

Or they cater to the ES fans and those who are mainly interested in a good PvE experience.

As both a PvPer and an ES fan I would like them to keep their PvP model but make it fit more into the ES setting. If they don't make it race based it does not matter who plays with what race, it is more about agreeing with a particular agenda/approach and wanting to fight for that.

How does not allowing people to group with and  chat with enemy factions RUIN the ES fans play experience??? How many copies of Morrowind were sold? How many copies of Oblivion? How many copies of Skyrim? Not even to mention the older games... 

Could you play with your friends then? 

All i can say is how does that break your little faction pride. Also people always crying about realism in mmos and games in general but want a barriers that make it unrealistic.  For instance when I was in the army in real life I talked to many iraqis and afghanis during my tour.  But i guess im just a carebear so who cares? 

How does not allowing people to group with and  chat with RUIN the ES fans play experience??? How many copies of Morrowind were sold? How many copies of Oblivion? How many copies of Skyrim? Not even to mention the older games... 

Because you have always been able to understand members of other races. A magical language barrier really kills immersion like nothing else. It was already bad enough in WoW but in the ES setting where you are used to communicate with everyone regardless of race and even hire them as companions, being suddenly restricted to 2 other races when it comes to grouping and chatting is pretty much a slap in the face :D

And about playing with friends...no, ofc not, because so far there hasnt been any MP Elder Scrolls. Which is why so many fans waited for this to be brought online so that they can finally experience Tamriel. With friends.

How does not allowing people to group with and  chat with enemy factions RUIN the ES fans play experience??? How many copies of Morrowind were sold? How many copies of Oblivion? How many copies of Skyrim? Not even to mention the older games... 

he means in elder scrolls games you could interact and adventure with other characters no matter what faction they were in as in if you were a dark elf you could still join a high elf if he and you had a common interest where both gained something from even if your whole country was at war with eachother.

All i can say is how does that break your little faction pride. Also people always crying about realism in mmos and games in general but want a barriers that make it unrealistic.  For instance when I was in the army in real life I talked to many iraqis and afghanis during my tour.  But i guess im just a carebear so who cares? 

I think you're taking this out of context.  Video games are fun because they are't realistic, at least until modern technology.  What drives good, fun unscripted pvp isn't a battleground or instance but a world where players randomly see other players and fight them causing more people to join.  Eventually it can turn into hundreds or players rushing into a zone only the have the servers crash.

I realize the end result isn't ideal but the pride that comes from grouping up with dozens of others to kill the other faction just for the hell of it is immense.  It's not for xp or loot or anything but for the  sheer fun and enjoyment that comes from killing the enemy.  That is what really develops faction pride and keeps good pvp going.

• WarmbeerWarmbeer Member Posts: 1
    I think this news is fantastic, PVP has nothing to do with realm pride.
    Originally posted by Mavek

I think you're taking this out of context.  Video games are fun because they are't realistic, at least until modern technology.  What drives good, fun unscripted pvp isn't a battleground or instance but a world where players randomly see other players and fight them causing more people to join.  Eventually it can turn into hundreds or players rushing into a zone only the have the servers crash.

I realize the end result isn't ideal but the pride that comes from grouping up with dozens of others to kill the other faction just for the hell of it is immense.  It's not for xp or loot or anything but for the  sheer fun and enjoyment that comes from killing the enemy.  That is what really develops faction pride and keeps good pvp going.

But doesnt the best kind of pride to kill someone comes from actually talking to the person of other factions.  If anything allowing us to talk to eachother can make eachother hate even more.

Originally posted by Warmbeer
    I think this news is fantastic, PVP has nothing to do with realm pride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OWL7AzvHo ...

But doesnt the best kind of pride to kill someone comes from actually talking to the person of other factions.  If anything allowing us to talk to eachother can make eachother hate even more.

That's what forums were for in vanilla WoW.  I think the fact that you couldn't communicate with them in game made it better actually.  Since you couldn't communicate with them other than using emotes it made pvp a form of release, instead of arguing with someone and in my opinion that built better pvp.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Or we could just choose our own guilds/factions/alliances regardless of forced  "faction pride" and just ffa pvp it for those who want to pvp. So carebear that.

Good on him. Open it all up.

edit: though to be honest I see no reason not to let the world act like a giant Elder Scrolls game and then have the "armies" handle the faction pride part.

Not everyone will want to be part of a conflict. But if we are going to pvp then let's really pvp and choose our own groups thank you very much.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

This news is great! Closed off Faction locked PvE zones is wrong. This is an Elder Scrolls game NOT DAOC!

3 way Faction PvP is Cyrodiil is fine, but keep the rest of Tamriel open for all to explore.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

I absolutely agree with the last part. But imo that is not in opposition to allowing people to play co-op in the PvE part of a game.

Maybe it is just me but my motivation of joining a faction and fighting for it, slaughtering the opposing faction, comes from standing behind my own faction's ideology. Right now their explanation for their grouping of races is lacking at best. Give me some time and I can rewrite the three factions based on an ideology in a manner that will make people who like a certain style reach for their weapon of choice.

I think wars based on clashing ideologies are not that uncommon. The race lock is completely unnecessary and the language barrier even more so. Let people play together in the PvE part without restrictions and when they enter Cyrodill and take on the banner of the faction they chose to enlist with, let them fight it out in an all out bloody war.

Come to think of it, that would make for some great RP opportunities :D Outside of Cyrodill they may work together towards a mutually beneficial endeavor, but once they don their faction's armor there is no mercy.

I absolutely agree with the last part. But imo that is not in opposition to allowing people to play co-op in the PvE part of a game.

Maybe it is just me but my motivation of joining a faction and fighting for it, slaughtering the opposing faction, comes from standing behind my own faction's ideology. Right now their explanation for their grouping of races is lacking at best. Give me some time and I can rewrite the three factions based on an ideology in a manner that will make people who like a certain style reach for their weapon of choice.

I think wars based on clashing ideologies are not that uncommon. The race lock is completely unnecessary and the language barrier even more so. Let people play together in the PvE part without restrictions and when they enter Cyrodill and take on the banner of the faction they chose to enlist with, let them fight it out in an all out bloody war.

Come to think of it, that would make for some great RP opportunities :D Outside of Cyrodill they may work together towards a mutually beneficial endeavor, but once they don their faction's armor there is no mercy.

Yea, the only problem with that idea, is that no one would be in Cyrodiil, they'd all be playing Camelot Unchained.

This discussion has been closed.