Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does ANY Bioware Character ever laugh?? (UPDATED)

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I mean, not smile, not audio. I mean, visual. Did you ever see any Bioware character of late (Dragon Age, Mass Effect, SWTOR) ever ANIMATED to laugh?  Preferrebly a positive laugh not evil maniac. But any laugh?

I am asking because of this. Playing a new Smuggler on SWTOR, Ord Mantell, there is that NPC which wants you to kill a Pirate. If you do, he laughs for a second. And god it looks SO spooky, so totally wrong and off, and it made me shudder. That's when I wondered, hey did I ever saw ANY Bioware char laugh?  Any? I just can't remember.

It reminded me that I tried to draw laughing faces; you may or may not know that I am drawing. And it always ended up looking spooky and terrifying. So I know how difficult it is.

So here is the question. Riddle me this. ;)

UPDATE:

Ok I finally found a laugh, it was rare, and sorry I think this looks SO spooky, unnatural and wrong. :O

Creeeepy

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Flemeth I think, in the first Dragon Age. She has a genuine chuckle about something, but I forget what about.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Updated with pic, see first post.

THIS

LOOKS

SO

CREEPY!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Yep, BioWare characters laugh.
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Cacaphony

Flemeth I think, in the first Dragon Age. She has a genuine chuckle about something, but I forget what about.

Yes she did laughed out pretty good about how powerful she is and you as a player didn't had a chance to kill her or something down those lines.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Yes she did laughed out pretty good about how powerful she is and you as a player didn't had a chance to kill her or something down those lines.

Elikal's point is the lack of physical changes to the face that a laugh entails. Cheeks raise up, mouth upturns, teeth shown in a smiling mouth, how eyes crinkle at the side. That sort of change.  Flemeth doesn't do any of this except open her mouth in a manner that isn't a smile or a grin.

Then again most games don't put any effort into this either. This is where the voice acting plays an important role in these games.  The animators don't animate the face or body to show emotion so the voice actors have to do it all on their own.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

They laugh to players when players are offline,naah just kidding.

After i met Master Minsc it feels like everybody does their laughing wrong.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Grunty

Elikal's point is the lack of physical changes to the face that a laugh entails. Cheeks raise up, mouth upturns, teeth shown in a smiling mouth, how eyes crinkle at the side. That sort of change.  Flemeth doesn't do any of this except open her mouth in a manner that isn't a smile or a grin.

Then again most games don't put any effort into this either. This is where the voice acting plays an important role in these games.  The animators don't animate the face or body to show emotion so the voice actors have to do it all on their own.

Yes. It is really more an artistic question for me. As you may or may not now, I am drawing, and I know how DAMN difficult it is is to draw laughing faces without looking creepy and off. A laughing face is among the most difficult expressions you can make, drawing or modelling, because it is probably THE most detailled and nuanced expression of the human face, and slight changes can make it look unnatural or wicked.

And this screenshot proves it. At leas to me it looks all kind of off and creepy.

I guessed that's why Bioware had it so rarely, but I assume other games struggle with the same. But then, most games today are dark, gritty and gloomy and there isn't much room for a good laugh, eh? :(

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

http://www.minscandboo.com/quotes2/Ahh_we_are_all_heroes.WAV

it does not need animations or graphics,thats something that one just cant buy with money,its something more,i never wanted to search who is the actor  because then i would make him somehow less realistic,its crazy good character.

the answer to your question  might be something that is related to this,because it is so hard  thing to do,its not really nice to watch or listen when someone is laughing but watcher feels all the time that he is faking it.

So there actually might be lots of laughing scenes in bioware games but you dont notice those because noone understands that those should be scenes where someone is laughing or they just didnt add those on purpose because comedy is not easy thing to do.

So maybe those are just badly done ? i dont know,but if they were well done, i would remember those just like i remember Master Minsc and Boo.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Didn't Shepard laugh in ME? I thought he did on a few occasions :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by Grunty

Yes. It is really more an artistic question for me. As you may or may not now, I am drawing, and I know how DAMN difficult it is is to draw laughing faces without looking creepy and off. A laughing face is among the most difficult expressions you can make, drawing or modelling, because it is probably THE most detailled and nuanced expression of the human face, and slight changes can make it look unnatural or wicked.

And this screenshot proves it. At leas to me it looks all kind of off and creepy.

I guessed that's why Bioware had it so rarely, but I assume other games struggle with the same. But then, most games today are dark, gritty and gloomy and there isn't much room for a good laugh, eh? :(

Tip- The key is to keep the roundness of the face in your "laugh lines" if you go too sharp in your curves it tends to look creepy.:)

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    I think Morrigan in DAO laughs and Alistair or Ogren also laughing at some point ingame?
  • aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

After many months and lots of research bioware finally came to the conclusion that laughing just isnt heroic.

• slygamer1979slygamer1979 Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Alistar in dragon age origin's has laughed many times during the game :-P