Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Supposedly were in for a surprise!

2»

Comments

• JonokuJonoku Cool, PAPosts: 645Member
    Originally posted by stragen001
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    Originally posted by Four0Six

When I hear things like this, I wonder if the TV show will have a direct effect on the game....meaning content and areas of play open only after that episode has been released.....

That would be one way to kill a content locust...and the game too....

Just my 2 pennies

Ya just note that it takes place in different places.

TV show= St. Louis

Game= San Francisco

Trion have already said that there are going to be crossovers. 

NPCs from the game will appear in the TV show. 

Characters from the TV show will appear in the game

Developments in the TV show will affect the game world

Outcomes of specific events in the game world (inbetween series and in mid season break i beleive) will affect the TV show

I know......

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Redding, CAPosts: 577Member

You are basing your opinion on what you assumed was a dramtic drop of population during the beta? 

There are a lot of reasons you witnessed a large drop in population during the beta, one a lot of people progressed rather fast, with in a couple of hours everyone I was playing with had their vehicles and were exploring the maps.  Secondly there were multiple games doing beta events that same weekend, a group I normally play with was divided between three different betas that same weekend. 

A big reason you witnessed a decline in population was the queue for the missions,  in between ark falls I would queue up for co-op missions, of which only two were available, never did I have to wait more than a few seconds for it to tell me a group was ready. 

This leads me to believe a large portion of the population were in the instances, not the open world. 

I got in a mission with on group that everyone on the mission but me was 400+ Ego power. All they did the entire weekend was queue up for the co-op mission. 

From your opinions you have posted, and the was you justify them I don't think you went into the game unbiased, It seems to me that you went in with a higher expectation and were disappointed, which can not be faulted, I have done it to a lot of games. 

Boils down to, everybody has an opinion, some people loved it, some people hated it, and then you hae the larger group of people that enjoyed t and sees it having a place in the world, while not being a blockbuster. 

I based my assumption of a majority of the people based off what I have seen and heard of the increased sales in the ast week.  A friend at gamestop said he went from 2 pre-orders on Xox, 1 on PS3, to 18 on Xbox, and 13 on PS3 in the last week, he said they did not have a single pre-order at his store for the PC, but I think that is because most people pre-ordered from Steam, and other online sources.

Not so nice guy!

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Redding, CAPosts: 577Member

and while "successful" can by percieved in numerous ways, Eve, Star Trek online, Star Wars Galaxies, and The newer Star Wars all did rather well. Anarchy Online was one of the first, and it did awesome for a few years. 

I am invested into Defiance about $90 at a movie theater I would get what 10 movies for that? So 20 hours of entertainment? So if this game entertains me untill the next big game comes out, then I think I am good with it.

Not so nice guy!

• OzivoisOzivois Phoenix, AZPosts: 598Member
    It's just non-stop shooting with little to no character development.  Once I realized this the game got real boring real fast. For players who love the "role" in RPG, the lack of holy trinity and all of the strategizing that it entails leaves you wanting.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk LiverpoolPosts: 976Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SonicTHI

Originally posted by r3dl4nce

Originally posted by SonicTHI
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Global Agenda is how old now? Must be 2-3 years. Planetside is still running, a purely PvP MMOFPS. I can't see Defiance closing down any time soon. It's primarily going to sell on console, it's a much bigger market than PC and they have nothing close to this, particularly on xbox.

Jeez I still play Counterstrike and that's 15 years later. I don't want to sound insulting but you're wrong.

[mod edit] I've made several posts highlighting the negatives of this game, like the hideous console UI. But console players are gonna like it so it won't be going anywhere just yet. The game doesn't need the TV show to survive in order to stay operational. As long as Trion can sell DLC and make money off it they'll keep it up and running.

Edit:

[mod edit]

• SonicTHISonicTHI -Posts: 149Member

Originally posted by lordtwisted

You are basing your opinion on what you assumed was a dramtic drop of population during the beta? 

There are a lot of reasons you witnessed a large drop in population during the beta, one a lot of people progressed rather fast, with in a couple of hours everyone I was playing with had their vehicles and were exploring the maps.  Secondly there were multiple games doing beta events that same weekend, a group I normally play with was divided between three different betas that same weekend. 

A big reason you witnessed a decline in population was the queue for the missions,  in between ark falls I would queue up for co-op missions, of which only two were available, never did I have to wait more than a few seconds for it to tell me a group was ready. 

This leads me to believe a large portion of the population were in the instances, not the open world. 

I got in a mission with on group that everyone on the mission but me was 400+ Ego power. All they did the entire weekend was queue up for the co-op mission. 

From your opinions you have posted, and the was you justify them I don't think you went into the game unbiased, It seems to me that you went in with a higher expectation and were disappointed, which can not be faulted, I have done it to a lot of games. 

Boils down to, everybody has an opinion, some people loved it, some people hated it, and then you hae the larger group of people that enjoyed t and sees it having a place in the world, while not being a blockbuster. 

I based my assumption of a majority of the people based off what I have seen and heard of the increased sales in the ast week.  A friend at gamestop said he went from 2 pre-orders on Xox, 1 on PS3, to 18 on Xbox, and 13 on PS3 in the last week, he said they did not have a single pre-order at his store for the PC, but I think that is because most people pre-ordered from Steam, and other online sources.

Originally posted by lordtwisted

and while "successful" can by percieved in numerous ways, Eve, Star Trek online, Star Wars Galaxies, and The newer Star Wars all did rather well. Anarchy Online was one of the first, and it did awesome for a few years. 

I am invested into Defiance about $90 at a movie theater I would get what 10 movies for that? So 20 hours of entertainment? So if this game entertains me untill the next big game comes out, then I think I am good with it.

No i m basing my opinion on the beta and on facts and experience from the last decade of MMOs and 2 decades of gaming. Yes all those titles you listed did well but there are many others that didnt and while some of them were still sustainable they had lower budgets. I think you can agree that even making a SCI-FI MMO is much harder due to the fantasy bias if nothing else from the investors since numbers show them what sells and what doesnt. The show is a double edged sword on top of it all. That is one big risky package.

I went into the game completely unbiased. I havent even checked it out before trying the beta. Something very rare in my case. I was actually pleasantly surprised by many things but even so found just as many issues with the game that made the whole experience lackluster. However i bet many other people will go into this game as you described and they wont stick around.

Also I do not measure my entertainment per cinema tickets. I got sick of people talking on phones next to me etc. I measure it by other games that usually get me at least 100 hours of entertainment.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Belvidere, ILPosts: 458Member
    You guys know that Rift went Free to Play in Korea and is being shut down now?  Wouldn't be surprised if they take similar actions when the subscription numbers start dropping over here.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser ParisPosts: 1,873Member
    Originally posted by Ujirik
    You guys know that Rift went Free to Play in Korea and is being shut down now?  Wouldn't be surprised if they take similar actions when the subscription numbers start dropping over here.

Yes yes you are absolutely right..a western MMO didn't do well in Korea so surely sub will start falling in west too. Doom!!

*rolls eyes*

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk LiverpoolPosts: 976Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ujirik

And TERA went F2P in the west. There's lots of evidence to support the fact that many MMO's developed in one region don't appeal to the audience in the other, and it works both ways. I wouldn't take Rift's problems in Korea as any indication of how well or badly it is doing in Europe or the US.

• stragen001stragen001 ReadingPosts: 1,720Member

Back on topic:

I was watching this MMOFTW Defiance special, and at the end (1:03:24) the devs said that people who play the game before the show releases will be able to play exclusive content with NPCs of the TV show characters that wont be available after the TV show launches. 

Pretty cool.... :)

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko RotterdamPosts: 3,845Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by stragen001

Back on topic:

I was watching this MMOFTW Defiance special, and at the end (1:03:24) the devs said that people who play the game before the show releases will be able to play exclusive content with NPCs of the TV show characters that wont be available after the TV show launches. 

Pretty cool.... :)

That could be Joshua Nolan and Irisa, isn't their story supposed to start in San Francisco and then they head toward St Louis ?

We saw them at the end of that journey in the 14min show preview that was released a few days ago...

2»