Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO are dying.

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by calranthe
    EVE is an mmo where community is rife, Being in one of the bigger alliances I have made some really solid friends who have gone beyond game to real life.

^+1

Also all hail our goonswarm overlords o.o

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Skuz
    You make some interesting observations, but using those same observations is how MMO's will get back to their roots, voice communications, facebook & twitter, those were really extrapolations of what was once found in MMO's, the niche community, then those concepts went mainstream & in the process maybe got diluted.I can see a trend emerge where MMO's will be even better than in their niche days when they fully embrace all of those social interaction tools, and tools is really all they are in the same way the chat box in an mmo was a tool, to connect people with a common interest.I don't see MMO as dying, just going through a phase that they have to re-invent themselves in & adapt to the new interaction standards, the potential is that MMO's will be able to reach a more diverse & far expanded range of people.

this is a great response and i agree totally.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

the community doesn't come with a box ^^

it's actually found in guilds and co. try looking there.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by NorseGod
    Originally posted by azzamasin Thats why there are more then 200 MMO's in development in any given year.     Yup MMO's are dying!!!!!  On the otherhand, maybe there arent games you want to play but to say they are dying is hyperbole at best.
    They can make 2000 MMOs, the number doesn't matter when the themepark garbage mass produced is the equivilant of hip hop in the music industry that targets kids. Its "cool" for the week that it's on the radio, then never heard again. Unlike sandboxes which are the 80s songs that are still played everyday. Why? Because they are simply better, made sense, and can be related with.

the best mmo's IMO have not been sandbox games, your opinion is just an opinion and i honestly cannot stand the sandbox bandwaggoning that goes on here.

EQ and Daoc are two of my favorite mmo's of all time which both had excellent communities and both were *gasp* theme park games, go figure huh?

MMO's don't have to be sandbox to be good, unless that's all you like to play, then i would say that is your personal issue.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by baphamet

the best mmo's IMO have not been sandbox games, your opinion is just an opinion and i honestly cannot stand the sandbox bandwaggoning that goes on here.

MMO's don't have to be sandbox to be good, unless that's all you like to play, then i would say that is your personal issue.

heck .. games do not even have to be a "true" MMO to be good. And of coures "good" is personal preference.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by azzamasin Thats why there are more then 200 MMO's in development in any given year.     Yup MMO's are dying!!!!!  On the otherhand, maybe there arent games you want to play but to say they are dying is hyperbole at best.
    They can make 2000 MMOs, the number doesn't matter when the themepark garbage mass produced is the equivilant of hip hop in the music industry that targets kids. Its "cool" for the week that it's on the radio, then never heard again. Unlike sandboxes which are the 80s songs that are still played everyday. Why? Because they are simply better, made sense, and can be related with.

the best mmo's IMO have not been sandbox games and that is your opinion, your opinion is just an opinion and i honestly cannot stand the sandbox bandwaggoning that goes on here.

EQ and Daoc are two of my favorite mmo's of all time which both had excellent communities and both were *gasp* theme park games, go figure huh?and that is your opinion

MMO's don't have to be sandbox to be good, unless that's all you like to play, then i would say that is your personal issue. and that is your opinion

Doesn't change the fact that these amazing games you boast about coming out every year only last a month or so, or, technically they last :rollseyes:, I mean hobble along with gimmicks.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

Disagree.

The sense of community is dieing.

Release any sandbox MMO from ages ago and we'll get the same result.

The playerbase is simply not the same anymore.

Doesn't change the fact that these amazing games you boast about coming out every year only last a month or so, or, technically they last :rollseyes:, I mean hobble along with gimmicks.

So what? A great fun 1 month is better than a mediocre 1 year.

Entertainment does not have to be long to be good. Is a longer movie always better? Is a longer novel always better?

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Entertainment does not have to be long to be good. Is a longer movie always better? Is a longer novel always better?

Novels and movies need a certain length to have enough time to develop their characters and describe their world.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Except that they aren't great fun.

And no, I think companies and players much prefer fun that lasts a long time. Players don't have to pay as much, and developers have long term sustained growth. Stop being delusional.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Novels and movies need a certain length to have enough time to develop their characters and describe their world.

And a game needs certain length to show you the game mechanics, and have fun ... and one month is way more than enough. Heck, a few hours is enough.

If I can start to have fun in a Sp game within the first hour, MMO should too.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

True. But what about those MMOs that were good to play for years at a time?

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

True. But what about those MMOs that were good to play for years at a time?

What about those? Some long movie is good. Some short movie is good. I watched both. Some long MMO is good .. like WOW .. i played it for years. But that does not mean that i am prejudice against short games and MMOs.

Originally posted by Dihoru

A fun MMO takes years of time to fully enjoy even while having fun during it, it's the ADD/instant gratification crowd that has made MMOs into the one month wonders they are today and no the sense of community hasn't died, it's the fact that you really shouldn't bother with a game that will last you one month that's killing communities.

don't confuse your preference to everyone's elses.

I enjoy STO and it does not take years. Heck, i play it like a SP game in the story mission content. Don't tell me i don't know what is fun for me. I have no intention of playing it for years. I will finish some of the missions and move on. Oh i may come back here and there ... fun for me.

And i don't play games because of community. I have friends, and can find people to play with in almost all onlnie games.

I play short term MMOs all the time and i have fun.

A fun MMO takes years of time to fully enjoy even while having fun during it, it's the ADD/instant gratification crowd that has made MMOs into the one month wonders they are today and no the sense of community hasn't died, it's the fact that you really shouldn't bother with a game that will last you one month that's killing communities.

don't confuse your preference to everyone's elses.

I enjoy STO and it does not take years. Heck, i play it like a SP game in the story mission content. Don't tell me i don't know what is fun for me. I have no intention of playing it for years. I will finish some of the missions and move on. Oh i may come back here and there ... fun for me.

And i don't play games because of community. I have friends, and can find people to play with in almost all onlnie games.

I play short term MMOs all the time and i have fun.

whoever said I told you to play for years? I've played many MMOs over the years but the only two I've kept going back to are STO and EVE, STO because it's worth the short visit, EVE because I've made actual friends in that game. Do not mistake my own words for your own biases against actual MMOs and love of  Co-Op games with no SP.

PS: I said you could have fun in a MMO without investment but to fully enjoy it you need time, months, years, etc, which is true even in STO, check fleet mechanics ;).

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Silly MMOs and their dying genre.  I mean who plays GAMES for GAMEPLAY?

There are actually a few non-combat or less combat focused "MMOs" that focus on the world and human interaction with no real gameplay  Games like Furcadia, Second Life, The Endless Forest, Drift City.  You could even maybe consider browser based cash grabs like anything with Ville in the name MMOs focused on the world and human interaction.  Even GW2 tried to promote more social interaction beyond just the "bubble" of your guild too, but you seem to think it's just another hack and slash game.

Not to mention if you look ahead a year or so you'll see that MMOs are starting to trend back towards the concept of "virtual world" and increasing social and sandbox elements in the game.

PS: I said you could have fun in a MMO without investment but to fully enjoy it you need time, months, years, etc, which is true even in STO, check fleet mechanics ;).

No .. you said, and i quote "you really shouldn't bother with a game that will last you one month that's killing communities."

Why shouldn't I when i can have fun for a month?

• xSh0xxSh0x Member Posts: 125
    Themepark inspired MMOs are dying.  Its been a dead end theory from the start.  The market will adjust.  There's just too much money and interest for MMO's die as a whole.

No .. you said, and i quote "you really shouldn't bother with a game that will last you one month that's killing communities."

Yes as in only last you just one month and never go back to it, I can name tons of MMOs that have this quality, most of em have since sunk and got the plug pulled. If you want to have fun for only one month and only one then might I suggest a SP game with a MP component? Terraria perhaps or Minecraft? Because you're obviously not playing an MMO for it's MMO qualities.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    allow me to do a sensible observation: mmos arent dying, mmoRPGS are dying...
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Yes as in only last you just one month and never go back to it, I can name tons of MMOs that have this quality, most of em have since sunk and got the plug pulled. If you want to have fun for only one month and only one then might I suggest a SP game with a MP component? Terraria perhaps or Minecraft? Because you're obviously not playing an MMO for it's MMO qualities.

No one should be accepting of this idea of a game designed to last only a month. Even the transient players would benefit from more longevity in a title because the community would be bigger, the company more secure finanacially, and the edge of game design would be pushed further rather than contracting into MMO Fast Food models.

The future should be inclusive, finding ways to multi-engage your audience.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

If you want to have fun for only one month and only one then might I suggest a SP game with a MP component? Terraria perhaps or Minecraft? Because you're obviously not playing an MMO for it's MMO qualities.

Of course i am playing SP games with MP componenets. I hope you don't expect i only play MMOs.

And no, i don't play MMO for its "MMO" (classic?) qualities. I play them for fun .. and that means no matter which of its quality appeals to me, i play it.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Thats why there are more then 200 MMO's in development in any given year.

Yup MMO's are dying!!!!!  On the otherhand, maybe there arent games you want to play but to say they are dying is hyperbole at best.

You are so incredibly close minded on multiple topics.  Its amazing.  I hope you don't have kids.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by Hellidol
    You know when I first saw the title of the thread I though it was going to be a poorly written write up but I am very wrong. This is true in ever aspect execpt for one, some might view this as mmo's evolving, which I personally believe it is going in the wrong direction if it is "evolving". To me it (MMO's) has become what you (OP) have described and it is sad to see, even though Lord British seems full of him self I would have to agree with a lot of his views.

Much like the electric cars, these "new" MMO's evolution will require time, patience and refinement before they will be enjoyed by many. This has been shown through out history time and again.

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

PC's in general are dieing. The world is slowly switching to Tablets, phones and smart devices.  It will be gradual, but PC companies are being force to adapt or die.

There is a reason wall street money is flooding away from PC and PC sales are declining. MMos are going to adapt and end up being played on tablets. This likely means in depth gameplay will be a thing of the past and give way for the ease of touch screen play.

I do not think MMOs will ever die, they will just turn into crappy "app" style garbage.