Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Guild Wars 2: The Razing is a Hit

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We have a special treat for our readers today in a surprise interview with ArenaNet's Colin Johanson to talk about the latest Guild Wars 2 update, The Razing. It's a great interview so be sure to check it out and then discuss it in the comments.

As stated above, the biggest portion of this patch was driven towards the World vs. World experience and polishing it up for players who crave that sort of large-scale epic battle game.  In response to the update, after rectifying a pressing issue on Tuesday with a hotfix, the WvW experience has seen an incredible surge of activity that rivals and at times exceeds the game’s early days and honeymoon period.  Colin said it’s become GW2’s most successful event, even though they’re just beginning to expand upon the WvW experience. 

Read more of Bill Murphy's Guild Wars 2: The Razing is a Hit.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RocklynnRocklynn Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Awesome! Been playing GW2 since launch and i still love it :)

www.rocklynn.se

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Really my only disappointment with this patch was that the living story stuff seemed pretty short as I went through all the new stuff in around 30 minutes; however it was well enough done. The update to WvWvW has been pretty good though and for the more competitive player I can see the leaderboards being a great addition too. If only GW2 had a trinity it would probably be my MMO of choice.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

Really?   Most people have quit  WvW?   Im loving it and on the weekends spend upwards of 6 hours at a time playing.   I cant get enough.   I am so busy havent even tried the Razing yet, but it sounds like fun.   Still loving this game.

• MaissonMaisson Member UncommonPosts: 29

"Colin and the team at ArenaNet want new regions opened up, cities burnt down, and areas discovered by the players.  Lasting and meaningful changes is the ultimate goal of the Living Story, all serving a greater narrative.  They want you to look back three years from now, maybe see a monument in a town commemorating a battle or fallen heroes, and say “Oh yeah, I was here when this happened. I took part in it."

This would be great!

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Haven't gone into WvW yet, but I played part of the living story which is a lot of fun!!!  This game just keeps getting better!!!
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    GW2 just keeps getting better! can't wait for an expansion and a new race.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    It's amaizing how much wvw has improved without culling. Great job Anet!

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
  • nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Enjoying the WvW alot sense patch and in fact the whole game sense launch still cnat wait to see whats next :)

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    [mod edit]

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161
    [mod edit]
  • triton54xtriton54x Member UncommonPosts: 39

i would agree most WvW is dead

ive switched to 3 diff servers and noone is doin WvW i see maybe at most 10-15 players

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Single best PvP in the genre and now its hoping with even more people.
  • AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by JasonJ
    Single best PvP in the genre and now its hoping with even more people.

Lmao

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by Coolit

Really my only disappointment with this patch was that the living story stuff seemed pretty short as I went through all the new stuff in around 30 minutes; however it was well enough done. The update to WvWvW has been pretty good though and for the more competitive player I can see the leaderboards being a great addition too. If only GW2 had a trinity it would probably be my MMO of choice.

Did you really do all the missions AND the secret message stuff in 30 minutes? Because it took me a few hours to finish the secret message stuff alone. 

This is not a game.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    smoke and mirrors from a PR idiot period. Of course wvw is going to see a huge spike of players , they added in new abilities and progression though the progression is weak. Do the real updates to WvW instead of patching in a passive boring world exp system. Fix the maps in the center like you promised months ago so people can actually have skirmish and get away from the zerges all the time.  Lets see how many people are playing WvW in a couple of weeks with your honeymoon statements , you act like WvW is so great when its not . Long queue times and stupid siege zerges kill any fun to this game if you want to do small skirmish style pvp out there.
  • AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by cronius77
    smoke and mirrors from a PR idiot period. Of course wvw is going to see a huge spike of players , they added in new abilities and progression though the progression is weak. Do the real updates to WvW instead of patching in a passive boring world exp system. Fix the maps in the center like you promised months ago so people can actually have skirmish and get away from the zerges all the time.  Lets see how many people are playing WvW in a couple of weeks with your honeymoon statements , you act like WvW is so great when its not . Long queue times and stupid siege zerges kill any fun to this game if you want to do small skirmish style pvp out there.

You got your logic all over the middle of my hype thread.  Gtfo!

• DamarusofktDamarusofkt Member UncommonPosts: 74
    WvW without culling is like night and day difference for me.  Of course I want to see systems expanded (and more incentive for smaller groups, and easier tools) , but I am able to do much more with seeing everyone around me, with no delay.  It also makes some pretty massive fights incredibly epic.

Leader of Knights Templar
    GW2 IGN: Damarus
    knights-templar.com

• HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Damarusofkt
    WvW without culling is like night and day difference for me.  Of course I want to see systems expanded (and more incentive for smaller groups, and easier tools) , but I am able to do much more with seeing everyone around me, with no delay.  It also makes some pretty massive fights incredibly epic.

This has been our experience as well.  No culling has revitalized our guilds interest in WvW.  Before we were counting the days until ESO.  Now we are not so sure.  Without culling, tactics are suddenly important again.  And if they add bigger maps, that would just cinch the deal.

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Do play wvw? Most of the time I am involved in small skirmishes. I only join a zerg when I feel like it. And getting away from a zerg is fairly easy, every class has the ablity to run effectively(some better than others).

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

They did.  They fixed culling which was the #1 issue.  What else would you want fixed?  Please elaborate more instead of making a broad statement.  The "boring" experience system isn't supposed to be "fun".  It's supposed to add progression to your ranks, which in turn, give more progression to passives.  You complain about zergs, which is funny, since you have so many paths to escape from, with your skirmish.  You're just complaining to complain.  Granted, WvW isn't as amazing as i want it to be, but i really fail to see how skirmishes are at a detriment, when in fact, they have major advantages over a zerg.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Was this the big exciting reason MMOFTW was canceled? Cause it wasnt that great, If I must be honest :(

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I can't believe I didn't make the connection that they actually changed the way characters engage in dialogue with the Living Story compared to the artificial backdrop with the Personal Story and dungeons.  I mean, I remember actually commenting that the way the scenes were presented reminded me of FFXI or even Bioware games, but for whatever reason it still didn't click that this was something different from what we've had before in GW2.  

I gotta say, I definitely do prefer the more cinematic experience of the new scenes.  I think the whole "floating heads" bits definitely felt a bit jarring to most people, myself included, but I chalked it up to a stylized feature that would just take some getting used to.  After several months, I can say that I apparently did get used to them, but not necessarily in a "I've learned to really love and appreciate this style" sort of way, but rather in a "I've become desensitized to them to the point where they don't jar me quite as much" sort of way.

After seeing the changes with the Living Story, I can unequivocally say that I prefer the traditional cinematic structure.  You have to wonder why they held back with such a change for so long, as they've consistently gotten similar feedback.  

• exile02exile02 Member UncommonPosts: 15

good for those that still have no clue what real pvp is. GW2 pvp= the worst pvp from a triple AAA Mmorpg.

Those whole achiement stuff is clearly (for me at least) aimed at the wow crowd. because people like give a damn about achiements.

THey need to fix the classes first, add more variety and skills and change the whole wvw design where you can spawn for pvp action not walk 10min and die due zergs.

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242
    What a shame there are so few players left to actually benifit from this!