Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is it that you want from an MMORPG?

2»

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    What do you mean devs have a hard time pleasing players? They may have problem pleasing those who do nothing but rant here ... those players don't like any modern MMOs anyway ... but there are plenty of players who are pleased ..as demonstrated by the successes and further development.
    You are correct, of course. MMOs are thriving (mulitple millions of players), so they must be doing "it" right :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I agree and they look to be spreading their wings a bit towards deeper worlds and just in time. A few more titles featuring the same thing and they would start to strangle each other.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Aelious
    I agree and they look to be spreading their wings a bit towards deeper worlds and just in time. A few more titles featuring the same thing and they would start to strangle each other.

What are you talking about? Devs have already branched out to MOBAs, ARPGs, and other types of MMO like online gaming.

Marvel Heroes/PoE ... basically ARPG with a dash of MMO features.

WOT is expanding to planes & ships .. essentially arena combat in war setting.

And there are games like star conflict, Destiny, Defiance .... devs have been branching out for quite a while.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I want a combination of EQ2+FFXI.FFXI is actually the game i feel put more depth into gameplay,than any other game,but it still needed a lot of tweaking.EQ2 housing si the best,but non instanced would of course be the bomb,but sort of unreasonable to think it could work.

I want a lot of realism in the entire game.Tab combat is fine and actrually works better for aMMORPG than twitch aiming.Twtich combat is not totally realistic,you have to fiddle with controls and latency.

I want an open world feeling,NO quest markers,NO linear questing,NO xp for questing.I like the idea of AA's but not something as lame as just showing up in an area and you get rewarded,that is dumb.

Basiclaly i want EVERYTHING to be full of depth.I liked the orignal crafting in EQ2,i just didn't like craft botting as it allowed players to take over that aspect and craft things while afk,while others had to work their ass off.

I want to see a ton more penalty for dying and i want to see EVERYTHINMG earned.Example NO points added for each level,no free spells,heck i don't even want free levels.I like to see each player get tested before it attains it's next skill or spell or level.

Way too much to list i guess,EQ2+FFXI[tweaked] sums it up best.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309
    All I want is for the "community" to stop bitching and play. I don't remember the old games having such a whiny crowd. We just enjoyed what was made. Now...yeah, enjoy your entitlements...
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Want: fun

Don't want: 3rd job

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i want companies to stop making generic mmorpgs. Period. 1 or 2 cool features is not enough to innovate when the rest of the game is plain generic.

Companies are doing it wrong these days. They are taking the risk of not selling a generic product, instead of taking the risk of being original and truly innovative.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

What are you talking about? Devs have already branched out to MOBAs, ARPGs, and other types of MMO like online gaming.

/removed unrelated material

As I said...

Originally posted by DMKano

Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Want: funDon't want: 3rd job
    +1 
    I don't have 8 hours a day to waste anymore, something I can jump in and play for a bit here and there and just have a blast.Games that require a huge time investment over months are something I have frankly outgrown.

I am curious. Would you play an MMO that may take 500 - 1000 hours to reach max level, had a fun (for you) leveling journey that could be easily broken down into smaller bites, and fit other types of activities either of you find fun? Or are you seeking end-game content only? Maybe there is something in between.

I guess I am asking if you are looking to reach max level quickly, or do either of you enjoy the journey? No judgement here, just curious :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

/removed unrelated material

As I said...

MMO-like .. with new ideas injected ... that is not the same thing, is it?

PoE is pretty much acclaimed ... with a bit of MMO idea .. but totally depart from traditional MMOs. I don't see it strangling anything. In fact, people probably would welcome more games like PoE, don't you think?

• ManDown717ManDown717 Member UncommonPosts: 4

1.  I want my MMORPG to be more than combat.

-World exploration

-Crafting with some depth

-Housing and decorations

-Non-combat skills/roles (For example SWG had hair dressers, musicians, dancers, animal tamer/breeders)

2.  I want my combat to have less numbers.

-Lose the DPS, HPS, gear ilevel stats

-I don't want to see a numbered health bar, I want to see how battered and bleeding my face is.

-I don't want to see a numbered mana bar, I want to see how pale/faded/drained my face as I use my "life energy" to fuel spells

-No restrictions(level or stats) on gear, I should be able to use any weapon or armor I find or buy,  I just won't be that effective without the proper training or skills

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

I want to be able to fight people that are different than the people of my culture.  Three hundred Spartans vx three hundred Spartans would have been boring, know what I mean?

I want culture to matter, to get a sense of actual civilization, religion, in other words, give full immersion.  Races and classes once copied and pasted to your opponent's options make the whole mess just trivial and videogame'esque.  I play mmorpgs to get a real sense of escapism.  It's bad enough most folks talk as if they are phone texting - on top of all of that, there's just no real purpose to anything in an mmorpg these days.

Hence my sig.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

+1 
    I don't have 8 hours a day to waste anymore, something I can jump in and play for a bit here and there and just have a blast.

Games that require a huge time investment over months are something I have frankly outgrown.

I am curious. Would you play an MMO that may take 500 - 1000 hours to reach max level, had a fun (for you) leveling journey that could be easily broken down into smaller bites, and fit other types of activities either of you find fun? Or are you seeking end-game content only? Maybe there is something in between.

I guess I am asking if you are looking to reach max level quickly, or do either of you enjoy the journey? No judgement here, just curious :)

Actually, it's the journey that interests me. I don't really care how long it takes to "max out", but longer is usually better. Endgames don't do much for me, that is where the "work" comes in, IMO.

Any game that requires my constant attention (i.e. logging in for 4 or 6 hours a day) will not be what I consider fun.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

First and foremost freedom to develop my character from the gound up the way I want him or her.

In depth crafting where you have to devote your character to it, not gathering and adventuring but just crafting and selling your wares.  Robust selection in crafted gear stats and appearance.

Housing system that requires artisans to build and furnish.

A player economy that not only supports crafters but nourishes the need to buy crafted wares.

A pvp system that requires player driven nations to declare war on each other and follow player set rules of engagement. Where soldiers are only soldiers when they are called into service.

Adventure for adventure sake, where exploration is sometimes your only reward.

player made quests, not just the "bring me 10 peices of venison" type

A very developed AI with food chains where wildlife prey on each other, and mobs ascess threat and sometimes run instead of fighting.

Oh yeah and player towns and cities with no guild focus, any players that build within a vicinity of each other can incorporate into a town. It doesn't make since for guilds to be the only ones who can build cities.

Those are just a few thoughts to begin with.

• soulmirrorsoulmirror Member UncommonPosts: 124

- Exploration

- Main thrust is PvE

- Team play is rewarded

- You can not travel everywhere in the game at the drop of a hat, locked or progression zones

- Crafting is a profession, 90 percentile items come from the top tier of crafting, items decay or break, repaiiring items allowed 

however durability decreases.

- Also, crafting  depends on other crafters or gatherers to complete high end items

- Housing with a robust item, color set

- GM / player driven content

- The most important aesthetically is the ability to look different from everyone else, dyes should be included in the game, with black dye being  1000x more expensive than any other dye.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Originally posted by Tsumoro

Wow, this thread really took off, which makes me happy. 

But I would ask, with all these viable ideas, what is making MMO's fall short? Do they simply not understand the desires of a gamer and a roleplayer? Or is it the case that they try to do too much, trying to bring everyone in under their mothers skirt with not enough hands to keep us in there?

So far I have read mostly everyones posts and it appears that a lot agree with me about the immersion side of things and community. Some, express wishes for content which already exists in numerous MMO adaptations. like the PvP and PvE related content. 

What is being done wrong and right with those elements which turn you off from the game itself. Think of a game, you really wanted to play and for what reason you wanted to play it and ultimately what caused you to cease playing. 

They are clueless.

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

- popular enough to have a thriving fun Oceanic community that aren't dull-as-nails elitists

- 1 faction: PK will turn a character permanently evil - becoming good will require days of quest/grind. Think of it like an ex-assassin that wishes to rid of his infamy which will take time

- has dungeons and a trinity system; NO raids

- quests: no kill 10 npcs quests

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Tsumoro

My very first MMORPG that I played was a game called Nexustk, it was and still is a Korean themed game which was once run by Nexon USA and now a small company called Kru Interactive. What was remarkable about this game, which, in honest is essentially nothing more but a grind fest was the sense of interaction and communication with the community. 

For that game was for the most part Roleplay driven. You made your character, you made your journey and story and you played the part. Everything in the game was player run, from classes, sub-paths, politicians, elders, kings and queens. Everything was played by specific people and everyone interacted with the world and events in their own way. Great friendships I made on that game, still lasting to this day many years on. 

Then, WoW came out and again I found another community of people, although not big on the RP themselves on the server I had picked. But people were chatty, people bickered and goaded each other at the Crossroads, people bartered with each other in the trade chats. People were friendly and people were dicks, but you knew them all by name. Conversations would carry on from the game, to the forums and there seemed to be a very 'small town' system going on.

However, every game I am playing now has kinda lost this. Lost within a tirade of solo made tasks, people not striking up conversation or interaction. It is almost like within a period of 5 or so years, people have become afraid to talk to one another. To enjoy the company of their band of fellows and go on adventures with one another. Everyone wants to go at it alone and the thought of partying up with others is viewed as a burden. 

Take WoW  now, as it currently exists. I very seldom get a peep out of people in a dungeon finder group. People say hi, but try and strike a conversation up. To get some personality from people, then they try to vote you out of the group. Even the LFR function is the same, people come and go like they were at a buffet and the only communication you get is from Mr 25k DPS screaming that the tanks and healers suck. 

What I am saying is, I love MMORPG's. I love the world, the themes, be it high fantasy, dark fantasy, science fiction whatever it might be. But that is just the setting of the game, its the people within it that make it work my while logging in each day. To have a place to be a hero with a daunting task to over come and making friends, or enemies along the way. 

So, what I want from an MMORPG is the feeling of community once again....

What is it that you want from an MMORPG?

There is an evolution taking place right now & the birthing pains of WoW are still having it's trickle down effects on the industry..!!

But eventually, as server technology & virtualization gets cheaper, that all Dev's will build seamless Open Worlds & role playing games will then again return to being about "Authoring a story that others want to live in". That is what Lord British was mentioning in his latest (& lengthy) interview.

Problem is... games like Mortal Online, Dark Fall, ArcheAge, PlanetSide2, EQNext, etc..   are based on server technology that is vastly moAr costlier, than games that use old technology & restrict players movements, etc...  (ie use of heavy instancing to simulate gameworld)

Seamless Open Worlds (SOW) are real MMORPGs, because they already provide all the essential of roleplaying.

Problem is, real open worlds come @ a premium, (servers cost millions more), so they require more price.

But it is a simple "you get what you pay for" formula.

But even a newbie knows instantly, when a game (world) is worth exploring. Even if it costs him his job, his wife, or personal hygene..   when there is a real, living breathing world to sink into.

A real world, to unfold at your whim...    <-that is roleplaying.

On the contrary..  others would like to log into a video game, LFD... and jam out some trinket during the evening, so they can collect adda-boys & new shinies. (ie: Lobby Queens). These same players could be logging into Battlefield and still call it an MMO.. let alone a MMORPG.

Those^ are just video games...  they themselves are just medeivel themed arcade games, like a Nintendo, or Mincecraft game. But they are all... following the same path of eventually going online... finding it's own consciousness.

After WoW...  the online market swayed away from MMORPG towards online arcade games and MMOs.. & that is fine, because more & more people are geting online, thus finding games they like. But not every game, nore every mmo is a MMORPG!

I'll repeat it again...  just because a game has an online component, that doesn't make it a MMORPG, or even an MMO. MMORPG are a sub-category of it's own. SimCity has it's own arcade following, etc. So don't be duanted by all the hype and marketing you see.

After this "instancing era" is finally moved out of the MMORPG industry, then we will see more eager devs w/confidence tweak the MMORPG model once more. Because fundmentally making a MMORPG anymore is easy... the hard part is retaining customers...   which starts with giving them a honest gameworld, not some bite-sized gimmick.

Once these new ultra-worlds are birthed, people are going to want to control over them...  that is what fuels the sandbox.

Without a real game world, there is no roleplaying.. 

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• pokrakpokrak Member UncommonPosts: 111

- combat system which really grips you 

- interesting pvp 

- good balance of classes

- large world

- many options of character customization in look and skills

- good graphic

- no Buy To Win !!!

- long leveling

- no gear based

- skill most important !!!

- easy respec options

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

New frontiers to explore and settle.

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

+1
    I don't have 8 hours a day to waste anymore, something I can jump in and play for a bit here and there and just have a blast.Games that require a huge time investment over months are something I have frankly outgrown.

I am curious. Would you play an MMO that may take 500 - 1000 hours to reach max level, had a fun (for you) leveling journey that could be easily broken down into smaller bites, and fit other types of activities either of you find fun? Or are you seeking end-game content only? Maybe there is something in between.I guess I am asking if you are looking to reach max level quickly, or do either of you enjoy the journey? No judgement here, just curious :)
    Actually, it's the journey that interests me. I don't really care how long it takes to "max out", but longer is usually better. Endgames don't do much for me, that is where the "work" comes in, IMO.Any game that requires my constant attention (i.e. logging in for 4 or 6 hours a day) will not be what I consider fun.
    I agree with you 100%.

If a game requires me to log in every day or even in any kind of regular interval, it becomes a time clock for work.

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR