Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Switching sets

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,064Member Uncommon

A set consists of 5 skills, 1 ultimate skill, an item/potion and a weapon.

 

It is said that you can switch between sets on the fly. But will i be able to switch sets effectively when i am in combat. Like switching from my mellee set to a ranged set, or switching from DPS set to healer set to assist the healer thats in trouble.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

  • QallidexzQallidexz Austin, TXPosts: 253Member
    Yea, it sounds like the switcharoo is an instant thing you  can do in-combat, on the fly, so basically, it sounds to me like they're essentially giving you more options. :)
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,064Member Uncommon

    you will be able to switch weaponsets starting at level 15. 

    i really hopetheyput in atleast 3 weaponsets to switch between, and also make it viable tl stick with a single set and still be competitive, or even use 3 times the same weapontypes. 

     

    looking forward to be a mellee healer.

    Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

  • DogblasterDogblaster PraguePosts: 491Member
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    [mod edit]

    if i remember correctly, teso combat is almost similar to es combat which is nothing like gw2 :) in gw2 you cant block by pressibg right button or power attack by holding left one ...

    dont worry mate

     

    And I hope you will be able to choose which skill you want to use in those sets ... or no? :(

     

    P.S.: The whole gw2 combat system is just result of lazy developers not want to balance that many skills, so they give us no changable skills per weapon .. sad

  • BadSpockBadSpock Somewhere, MIPosts: 7,974Member

    I'd have to agree.

    I'd rather have two bars of skills and no weapon switch.

  • DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,900Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    [mod edit]

    The difference here from what i understand is you choose what weapons you want to use, any class can use any weapon and get better at it (gain skills), you choose which skills to load per bar i believe. So in essense you're getting exactly that, a choice of how your character fights, as well as what weapons you're skilled in.

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

    It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,064Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by BadSpock

    I'd have to agree.

    I'd rather have two bars of skills and no weapon switch.

    Then slot 2 or 3 times the same weapon type.

    Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,064Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by morbidlymystic
    I have never seen anything about in combat gear swapping outside of weapons. 

    Its been stated in the dutch video made at the press event last week, if you swap weapons you also swap the skills in the quickslots

     

    and somehow i hope they make it more like swapping weapons in a FPS with the [ and ] keys, then the swapping up and down we saw in GW2,

     

    in the end people like diversity, imagine a sorcerer that can swap from his bow for range damage, to a set up with a healing staff for ranged healing and crowd controll, to a sword and shield set for mellee healing or dual swords for mellee dps.

    or a warrior that has a sword and shield tanking set, a mace and shield crowd controll set, greatsword DPS set, and dual swords selfhealing set.  

    Or even a rogue that has 4 sets of dual swords with different skills hotbuttonned., trained in medium armor and some magics healing and stealth, would be awesome... There is diversity and there is continuity in that he only uses swords.

     

     

    in my vision of fun, having several options to switch between in real time would be awesome,  diversity in builds realtime (switching roles on the fly) and nonrealtime (tactical building a different

    Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

  • DAS1337DAS1337 Parma, OHPosts: 2,404Member
    Originally posted by BadSpock

    I'd have to agree.

    I'd rather have two bars of skills and no weapon switch.

    ES has really always been about using multiple weapons.  As melee, you had to have either archery or magic.  As an archer, you had to employ some other skillset for when enemies got closer than you'd prefer.

     

    I see no problem with using a bow to soften up your target, and having a 'set' assigned to that weapon, and then switching to a melee weapon as the target closes, thus switching the set on your hotbar.  They did the same thing in WoW.  Rogues had in-stealth and out-of-stealth hotbars.  Druids as well.  

     

    I see no problems with it.

  • DAS1337DAS1337 Parma, OHPosts: 2,404Member
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by morbidlymystic
    I have never seen anything about in combat gear swapping outside of weapons. 

    Its been stated in the dutch video made at the press event last week, if you swap weapons you also swap the skills in the quickslots

     

    and somehow i hope they make it more like swapping weapons in a FPS with the [ and ] keys, then the swapping up and down we saw in GW2,

     

    in the end people like diversity, imagine a sorcerer that can swap from his bow for range damage, to a set up with a healing staff for ranged healing and crowd controll, to a sword and shield set for mellee healing or dual swords for mellee dps.

    or a warrior that has a sword and shield tanking set, a mace and shield crowd controll set, greatsword DPS set, and dual swords selfhealing set.  

    Or even a rogue that has 4 sets of dual swords with different skills hotbuttonned., trained in medium armor and some magics healing and stealth, would be awesome... There is diversity and there is continuity in that he only uses swords.

     

     

    in my vision of fun, having several options to switch between in real time would be awesome,  diversity in builds realtime (switching roles on the fly) and nonrealtime (tactical building a different

    I think having too many options hurts the game.  Darkfall is the prime example that I can think of.  If you can do everything, then why create different characters?  Alternate slots serve less purpose and when people get bored, they try a different game.  I think that sort of design doesn't lend well to keeping your players around.  I love options, but not these kinds of options.

     

    I can see have a few sets to swap between, but being a jack-of-all-trades as you suggested in your post, in my opinion, is the wrong path to take as a developer.  That, and you shouldn't want that as a player either.  It only hurts your game.

  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,064Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DAS1337
    Originally posted by BadSpock

    I'd have to agree.

    I'd rather have two bars of skills and no weapon switch.

    ES has really always been about using multiple weapons.  As melee, you had to have either archery or magic.  As an archer, you had to employ some other skillset for when enemies got closer than you'd prefer.

     

    I see no problem with using a bow to soften up your target, and having a 'set' assigned to that weapon, and then switching to a melee weapon as the target closes, thus switching the set on your hotbar.  They did the same thing in WoW.  Rogues had in-stealth and out-of-stealth hotbars.  Druids as well.  

     

    I see no problems with it.

    There is no problem with it...

    Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,064Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by jackashflash2000
    Originally posted by DAS1337

    I think having too many options hurts the game.  Darkfall is the prime example that I can think of.  If you can do everything, then why create different characters?  Alternate slots serve less purpose and when people get bored, they try a different game.  I think that sort of design doesn't lend well to keeping your players around.  I love options, but not these kinds of options.

     

    I can see have a few sets to swap between, but being a jack-of-all-trades as you suggested in your post, in my opinion, is the wrong path to take as a developer.  That, and you shouldn't want that as a player either.  It only hurts your game.

    Too many options?  I have at least 4 times as many keybinds as this game gives on every single one of my characters in WoW, and I have 10 characters.

    A jack of all trades can do many things, but he will not be the best at any of them, and while fun for solo pve and pvp, not fit for high level pvp content, unless the system is flexible enough to allow different builds within the same setup

     

    Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,452Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DAS1337
     

    I think having too many options hurts the game.  Darkfall is the prime example that I can think of.  If you can do everything, then why create different characters?  Alternate slots serve less purpose and when people get bored, they try a different game.  I think that sort of design doesn't lend well to keeping your players around.  I love options, but not these kinds of options.

     

    I can see have a few sets to swap between, but being a jack-of-all-trades as you suggested in your post, in my opinion, is the wrong path to take as a developer.  That, and you shouldn't want that as a player either.  It only hurts your game.

    Have you played an elder scrolls game? at least from about Daggerfall/Morrowind on...

    They are about creating the character you want. many create characters based on their own personal story/role playing reasons. Therefore players don't always create charcters that are Jack of all trades. yet, in the end, they can acquire every skill in the game.

    edit: however, I think there are some limits in ESO. I remember them saying you can get just about any skill just not every skill.

     

  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,444Member Uncommon
    Not sure if this was answered but... If you have say a 2h sword and a Bow you like to switch between. At level 15 you earn the ability to switch weapons. Each weapon has its own hot bar much like a Druid in WoW when you switch to animal from. So you pick your 2 weapon skills for that weapon and the 5 skills and ultimate you want to use with that weapon. So switching from your 2h sword to a bow you can be ready on the fly to be a ranged class. 


    =-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 


  • DAS1337DAS1337 Parma, OHPosts: 2,404Member
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by DAS1337
     

    I think having too many options hurts the game.  Darkfall is the prime example that I can think of.  If you can do everything, then why create different characters?  Alternate slots serve less purpose and when people get bored, they try a different game.  I think that sort of design doesn't lend well to keeping your players around.  I love options, but not these kinds of options.

     

    I can see have a few sets to swap between, but being a jack-of-all-trades as you suggested in your post, in my opinion, is the wrong path to take as a developer.  That, and you shouldn't want that as a player either.  It only hurts your game.

    Have you played an elder scrolls game? at least from about Daggerfall/Morrowind on...

    They are about creating the character you want. many create characters based on their own personal story/role playing reasons. Therefore players don't always create charcters that are Jack of all trades. yet, in the end, they can acquire every skill in the game.

    edit: however, I think there are some limits in ESO. I remember them saying you can get just about any skill just not every skill.

     

    Have you ever played a competitive online game?

     

    I'm guessing you have.  And if so, I'm sure you realize that most people will take advantage of what the game allows you to do.  So if you can have every skill in the game, the vast majority of players will get every skill in the game and progress as far as they can, just to compete.  And yes, even the ones who came into the game saying, 'I just want to be a cleric'.  Well, now they are a cleric, ranger, warrior, mage, necromancer thief.  Also, if you can freely switch to any spec you'd like, what's the point of alternate chracters?  It crushes replayability.  It kills retention rates.  It's a game killer.

     

    Weapon sets and abilities tied to them is one thing, being multiple classes is another.  There has to be a line.  I don't know exactly where that line is in TESO.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

  • NikopolNikopol The ZonePosts: 626Member Uncommon

    Frankly I'd rather have more skills and action bars up at all time, but I'll make do. :) I'm just glad that it's not like in GW2 where you have sort of set skills for each weapon (if I understood correctly, you can fill each of your weapon-switch action bars with any class and armor and etc. skills you like). 

    As for weapon switch itself, I do like they bring in some more variety and choice this way (it's needed if you're going for such a limited action bar)... Though I hope they don't make it a necessity to switch weapons all the time. In Skyrim I tried to limit my archers to just using the bow and not switch to melee weapons. It was certainly fun and not gimped at all.

  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,444Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nikopol

    Frankly I'd rather have more skills and action bars up at all time, but I'll make do. :) I'm just glad that it's not like in GW2 where you have sort of set skills for each weapon (if I understood correctly, you can fill each of your weapon-switch action bars with any class and armor and etc. skills you like). 

    As for weapon switch itself, I do like they bring in some more variety and choice this way (it's needed if you're going for such a limited action bar)... Though I hope they don't make it a necessity to switch weapons all the time. In Skyrim I tried to limit my archers to just using the bow and not switch to melee weapons. It was certainly fun and not gimped at all.

    Thats the fun of this, you pick how you want to play. If you wana be that bow class and never use a melee weapon then pick to be a pet class and have your pet do the melee for you. Any char can be a pet class or a vampire etc. 


    =-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 


Sign In or Register to comment.