Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is one of the key contributors for PC software sales in 2012

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,821

Some sales figures we know

Minecraft is over 20 million across all platforms

Diablo 3 sold over 10 million

WoW MoP sold 2.7 million in a week

GW2 sold 3 million in 4 months

I think the real news story here is that the worldwide PC games industry is at $20 billion and China accounts for a 1/3 of that.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Oh joy. How I'm some random guy and I'm going to associate that the growth of PC software based off the fact Angry Birds is now on Chrome for free. Just saying.

Yeah, the article itself is really quite silly. Diablo 3 we all know is a rather poor game for its genre. Minecraft can just as easily be sold on Mac and Guildwars 2, yeah, its not that stunning of a selling for call as a 'key contributor', I mean Mists of Pandoria outsold it a good deal I'm pretty sure and yet it wasn't mentioned.

I'll go let that article writer on some site I've never heard of have fun with apparently his three favorite games and neglecting to really give any proof to something that is virtually impossible to prove. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Media can tend to infalte numbers to make their article seem relevant.

I have no doubt that GW2 was a major seller but some of the stuff in that article is flat out misleading.

You can't really use the term MARKET when claiming 1 billion pc gamers.There has been absolutely ZERO indication of that in Europe and NA.Matter fo fact ,i watch all games and releases closely and i have seen almost no growth at all.I do however agree that China and maybe other Asian markets are growing rapidly.

However assuming it will go from 1 billion to 25 billion in next three years is insane,i would definitely bet against that.

I don't know who DFA is but PCGA PC gaming alliance,is using a nice way to get notice of their supposed  [non profit] organization,by posting big numbers.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    I get a laugh each time I see a post from someone who clearly is pissed that GW2 is doing so well. I'm happy for Anet, they changed the game. Wow continues to die at an increasingly rapid rate and future titles are already adapting (see TESO). It wasn't the biggest seller of the year, but it sold more MMOG boxes than anyone else, including Blizzard. You gotta give props to them no matter what your feelings toward Guild Wars 2.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Fion
    I get a laugh each time I see a post from someone who clearly is pissed that GW2 is doing so well. I'm happy for Anet, they changed the game. Wow continues to die at an increasingly rapid rate and future titles are already adapting (see TESO). It wasn't the biggest seller of the year, but it sold more MMOG boxes than anyone else, including Blizzard. You gotta give props to them no matter what your feelings toward Guild Wars 2.

It's really funny how your post amounts to taking the knife out of  GW2's back just to firmly plant it in WoW's. All it does is really enforce the notion that you're nothing more than the other side of the same coin. Bit of advice...next time you dislodge the knife, drop it.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    I have nothing against WoW. I played it for years and had a lot of fun doing so.  I'm certainly not someone who goes on that games forum here and bashes it. I was just stating a fact. WoW is still losing subscribers at a dramatic rate. MoP didn't stem the tide and free transfers will probably be a temporary solution. Gaming changes, I simply stated that GW2's design changes from 'standard themeparks' is and will continue to have an impact on the future of the genre thanks to it's success.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Originally posted by Fion
    I have nothing against WoW. I played it for years and had a lot of fun doing so.  I'm certainly not someone who goes on that games forum here and bashes it. I was just stating a fact. WoW is still losing subscribers at a dramatic rate. MoP didn't stem the tide and free transfers will probably be a temporary solution. Gaming changes, I simply stated that GW2's design changes from 'standard themeparks' is and will continue to have an impact on the future of the genre thanks to it's success.

I need a link to some recent numbers please.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by nastyjman

Heard that right folks.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/78421/report-pc-gaming-software-sales-reached-20-billion-in-2012

Man you guys really are reaching:

"Games like Diablo 3 (pictured), Guild Wars 2, and Minecraft are credited for bolstering the industry, in spite of the decline of subscription MMOs and increased competition from mobile games."

Does NOT equal "GW2 is one of the key contributors".  Stop making crap up.

Lets do some numbers, $50/pop x 3 million copies sold = USD150,000,000

150,000,000 / 20,000,000,000 = .0075, or less than 1 percent of the overall total sales figures for the year.

3/4th of 1% is not "KEY" contributor.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

I think the real news story here is that the worldwide PC games industry is at $20 billion and China accounts for a 1/3 of that.

Yep. Funny how fanboys keep twisting facts to make their game look better and at the same time blame haters for doing the opposite.

And where does it say "key contributor"?

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Heard that right folks.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/78421/report-pc-gaming-software-sales-reached-20-billion-in-2012

Man you guys really are reaching:

"Games like Diablo 3 (pictured), Guild Wars 2, and Minecraft are credited for bolstering the industry, in spite of the decline of subscription MMOs and increased competition from mobile games."

Does NOT equal "GW2 is one of the key contributors".  Stop making crap up.

Lets do some numbers, $50/pop x 3 million copies sold = USD150,000,000

150,000,000 / 20,000,000,000 = .0075, or less than 1 percent of the overall total sales figures for the year.

3/4th of 1% is not "KEY" contributor.

True, even diablo 3 box sales is really a drop in the ocean.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Heard that right folks.

GW2 fans are their own worst enemy. The article wasn't just about GW2 but you somehow managed to make it just about GW2.

Bravo!! and then you guys wonder why GW2 gets so much flak around here.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Like McDonalds is a key contributer to hamburger sales?

quick run off the mill mass market appeal, hooray and congratulations.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Heard that right folks.

GW2 fans are their own worst enemy. The article wasn't just about GW2 but you somehow managed to make it just about GW2.

Enemy of what? o.O

The guy just posted an article, he never even mentioned being a fan. In fact he could have just been the opposite and been being sarcastic.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Heard that right folks.

Enemy of what? o.O

The guy just posted an article, he never even mentioned being a fan. In fact he could have just been the opposite and been being sarcastic.

Umm nope definitely a fan . And he is not being sarcastic either. I am still looking for the part where it says "GW2 is the key contributor'.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Yamota

Yep. Funny how fanboys keep twisting facts to make their game look better and at the same time blame haters for doing the opposite.

It is one of 3 games mentioned.

GW2 is not released in a 1/3 of the market.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    GW2 is a success and helped NCSoft out quite a bit.  Next on News from Yesterday.....
    Originally posted by Yamota

Really no need to twist facts if you like the game and are a fan of it. The game speaks for itself if you like it. If you don't like it then you are not a fan! Simple Simon.

I usually go by what my friends say about games first and then play them to see if I like them. If my friends don't have anything to say I normally look online for awards that the games have received and GW2 has quite a few of them. You can knock on the game all you want, but the facts are it is a great mmorpg. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Either GW2 or Minecraft outsold MoP on PC in 2012 since Blizzards reported stated Diablo came first in sales for 2012 and MoP came 3rd.. I'd just like to point that out.
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Oh joy. How I'm some random guy and I'm going to associate that the growth of PC software based off the fact Angry Birds is now on Chrome for free. Just saying.

Yeah, the article itself is really quite silly. Diablo 3 we all know is a rather poor game for its genre. Minecraft can just as easily be sold on Mac and Guildwars 2, yeah, its not that stunning of a selling for call as a 'key contributor', I mean Mists of Pandoria outsold it a good deal I'm pretty sure and yet it wasn't mentioned.

I'll go let that article writer on some site I've never heard of have fun with apparently his three favorite games and neglecting to really give any proof to something that is virtually impossible to prove. 

MoP outsold GW2 by a good deal?  I've been looking for those figures.  Can you post a link?

Did this never get an answer ?......I mean there must be some proof . Just saying

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88

Well duh! It was one of the most hyped games in 2012. :)

Though out of the 30 people i know that got it (including me) 24 out ouf 30 of those people regret there purchase, 12 out of those 24 refunded the game and all 30 out of those 30 including me quit the game before the end of 2012. 

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by NaMeNaMe

Though out of the 30 people i know that got it (including me) 24 out ouf 30 of those people regret there purchase, 12 out of those 24 refunded the game and all 30 out of those 30 including me quit the game before the end of 2012. 

The more you post the better your story gets ,,,,in 2015 you'll be able to change these numbers  to 960 out of a 1000 and all quit within 2 hours

• Sasori_japSasori_jap Member UncommonPosts: 23

Minecraft costs 19.95 $ and has been around for some time

MoP costs 40.00$ (when it came out) and WoW already has a big subscriber base so the sales are dissapointing if you think about it

Diablo 3 costs 59.99$ the same money as GW2.

Now saying that Diablo 3 outsold GW2 it might be true but it doesnt prove anything. If you look at the top selling PC games of all time the only MMOs that can get on that list are WoW and Guild Wars 1 (yeah you heard that right...GW1 is one of the top selling PC games of all time...)

Diablo 3 sold 12 million and its third on that list, thats kinda pathetic for such a bad game and you can see the power of fame and anticipation right there...

So regarding revenue and contribution for PC software sales i think GW2 isnt that far away for the others...

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Bad.dog

The more you post the better your story gets ,,,,in 2015 you'll be able to change these numbers  to 960 out of a 1000 and all quit within 2 hours

Lmao.

Today on CNN: Guild Wars 2 players quit in numbers larger than the game sold!  Full story at 11!

Seriously though, of the 50 people I know and am friends with (inculding me), 46 of them still play and love GW2.  You can't even question my post because this is Internets, Land of Truth.

EDIT: This just in!  GW2 STILL a success.  Some people STILL bitter about it.

Counting quoted text, there are two lies about how bad the game's doing on just this page.  I suggest pointing your guns elsewhere, you're not making a dent here.

It wasn't one of the most hyped games. It  may have been the most hyped on this site, but in general, it wasn't pushed on anywhere else in the media. No telivision ads, nothing on radio. Comparatively right now, Defiance has television ads, MoP had it's campaign as well. No, it was only hyped by a few sites on the internet, it's fans from GW1 followed and word of mouth made it what it is today, a very  fun mmorpg.

As far as your "friends" and you go, if what you say is true, it doesn't matter, the game has literally thousands playing and enjoying it. The devs turn out new content to do, and it's all for $60. 

• fumoffu1fumoffu1 Member Posts: 32

lol that reminded my of my best friend who preordered it for 70€ and played 1 BWE and at launch played his guardian til lvl 21 and quit just to instantly sub to MoP . he gave me his account cause he isnt "gonna touch this ever again (his words) but i didnt make it past lvl 17 thief.  so i absolutely believe you :)

what i dont like is ppl mixing up game being fail bc it sucked and bc it didnt sell enough.

gw2 was a success. it sold enough.(nowhere near enough if u consider the crazy hype ppl made around it) but d3 sold triple the amount but ppl call it fail bc they werent happy with the game.