Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scarlet Blade: Open Beta Launches

13»

Comments

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Sex sells and players shouldn't be ashamed if the scantily clad females are the main reason they decide to play. Surprisingly, the community has been pretty friendly and mature. I've been playing TERA and this game in the same week and the Scarlet Blade community has been a lot more mature, friendly and "normal" than TERA chat, even though TERA has been out for a while now. (I mean, seriously, TERA chat is the exact same cess pool it was during that game's beta)!

As to the actual game play:

Scarlet Blade is a pretty old fashioned quest grinder. It looks a bit better than most F2P games, but not by much. As I played, I couldn't help but shake a serious sense of Deja Vu with the game mechanics and over all feel of game play. Then it finally hit me, the game seems to have borrowed fairly heavily from the game design of the early Anarchy Online, a game from over a decade ago!

So, yeah...

Not much fresh here, except for the willingness to make nudity and sexual inuendo a key element of the game. However, the community has been nice and I can see the game being a Guilty Pleasure for a number of people.

BTW...

It's more of a "cute", "friendly" sort of sexy, so it somehow manages to escape a lot of the potential sleeze factor one might expect. It's actually sort of refreshing in an odd sort of way, but the truly sexually repressed will probably still find much to complain about...

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Sarariel
    Avoiding due to the patheticaly disgusting adverts

Exactly, the most distasteful spam on the website lately.  Really makes MMORPG look sleazy doing it.  The producers are loving all the controversy though, gets them more notice.

• TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114

Don't know what the fuss is all about. You'll notice the ginormous attributes the first few hours, after that you'll get used to them and won't even notice. People these days try to be more christian than the pope, it seems.

Meanwhile in the pron industry ...

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

Didn't even notice this game until mentioned here, thats how low beneath my radar is. I am going to give it a go though if its open beta. A lot of people getitng a bit mardy due to the sheer amount of fan-service with this game. It just makes me chuckle to be honest. I am guessing that they are looking for the horny teenager demo... but... is the game any good, is the question. 

I try never to write something off, I remember when I first got my Xbox with Dead or Alive Volleyball which is another fan service game, but, I actually really liked it. I found it to be quite a good game especially with the collections and things. Getting all those items took me forever!

I shall post again in a little bit after I give this a whirl...

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

so alot of people seem to think that anyone who dousnt like this game is because of the T&A content, well im would like to say no that is not accurate that is the only thing goood about this game rather, even though i prefer my women real and not animieish girls, ( still dont get it)

heck the oly game so far that i have had real issues with the way a char was designed in that regards is tera, because thanks to the little race of female only animal like things the lolie comments never end, which gets old faster then a brick hits the ground.

heck event hough this game dose have a lolie option in it you still dont get the un ending comments like ya do in tera.

in the end i guess what im saying is i dont hate this game cause its full of T&A i enjoy T&A, no i hate this game cause the game is garbage.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    The best thing you can do to make sure that everyone plays it, is to ban it.
  • dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Wait ti'll the closet pedo demographic find out about this game and start raging that the girls look too young in the game (elins) XD

I think there's already a whole lot of closet raging going on over this game. Some of the most prolific posters against this game know an awful lot about it and it's game play.

Well makes a change from the norm on this site of people flaming games they clearly haven't played. 

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by spookydom
    Thing that's making me laugh about this is that odviously it caters for the young male adult demographic. The same type of young man who come on these forums starting the endless "Why do guys play as female characters it makes me feel homophobic after I have tried to cyber with them" threads that keep poping up on a regular basis. What are they going to do in this game where everybodys a female character? Tee-Hee :D

Uh, actually the opposite.  Guys like me, who feel like their characters are an extension of their real life self, projected into a virtual space (because in truth that's what it IS), feel like playing a female character is crossdressing more or less, and most guys who play female characters are constantly talking about how they want to look at female ass, so it seems more likely it's THOSE players who don't care about roleplaying or immersion that would go for this type of game. 

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Thing that's making me laugh about this is that odviously it caters for the young male adult demographic. The same type of young man who come on these forums starting the endless "Why do guys play as female characters it makes me feel homophobic after I have tried to cyber with them" threads that keep poping up on a regular basis. What are they going to do in this game where everybodys a female character? Tee-Hee :D

Uh, actually the opposite.  Guys like me, who feel like their characters are an extension of their real life self, projected into a virtual space (because in truth that's what it IS), feel like playing a female character is crossdressing more or less, and most guys who play female characters are constantly talking about how they want to look at female ass, so it seems more likely it's THOSE players who don't care about roleplaying or immersion that would go for this type of game. 

Pretty much this (I'd typed a response along similar lines earlier but couldn't work out how best to phrase it so never posted).

SB actually pushes a disconnect between the player and character with the trope which I've seen occasionally in story-mode strategy games (both the Command & Conquer type & squad-based a la X-COM series) but not in MMORPGs, where the player represents a faceless "commander" ordering an army, squad or in the case of SB a single character around; the dialogue will frequently have the Arkana talk-back to you, question your orders or motives &c.

• kaltahnkaltahn Member Posts: 31

Not to sidestep this intriguing back-and-forth but, is the game any good?  Does it introduce anything new and fun into the ever-growing sea of MMO's, or is this an old fish with a slightly new coloring?

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Game is SO BAD dear God. Tried it despite the aesthetics, which aggravate me to no end. Spare me the whole sexuality vs. the West thing. When there are dicks swinging just like there are boobs jiggling then we can talk about sexuality being allowed and accepted. Until then, this isn't sexuality, this is objectification.

Anyway, how are games like this still allowed to exist? I'll grant that Whipper and Shadow animations are decent, but everyone else just uses guns of various sizes that shoot balls of energy of various colors. That's all you do, while you're killing 10 of something and turning it in just to get another quest asking you to do  the same. The game is offensive on a whole other level, that the developers of this trash think gamers are stupid and juvenile enough to overlook bad gameplay just by shoving cameltoe in our faces.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• ECGangelECGangel Member UncommonPosts: 39
    ill be seeing you all ingame, heheh.
  • mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by JasonJ
    Originally posted by Sarariel
    Avoiding due to the patheticaly disgusting adverts

Which are very tame compared to Age of Conans...funny how people didnt rip into that game for its BOOBS and TEETS just because it wasnt anime based while calling everyone remotely interested in it a bunch of perverts...double standard much?

Uhm, I guess you werent at this forum when AoCs NDA were lifted.

There was a huge moral outcry here and AoC eventually censored a lot of things. Already the launchversion toned down things a lot, like the girl you save on the beach in the tutorial, she was a lot more interested in the player in the beta version.

AoC do indeed play a lot on sex but it is not the main point of the game. Scarlett blade on the other hand seems to focus everything on it. There are actually realistic and covering armors in AoC and as a player you can choose to wear them instead of chainmail bikini.

In SB and TERA there doesnt seems to be that choice, and that is bad. I am not against sexy clothes in MMOs as long as any player also can choose to wear something more sensible.

Then again, maybe SB have amazingly fun gameplay, a lot of us can forgive many things if it have that but I have my doubts...

This is true but Scarlet and Tera have a sexy theme to them and that appeals to some. Just like most don't go into hooters just for the wings.

• Radar11xRadar11x Member UncommonPosts: 118
    I checked this game out and found it to be so borring that now even scantly clad women could keep me playing it.
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    lol some of the arguments in this thread reminds me of pedo's from tera trying to make excuses for being pedo's. The game objectifies women, if you like this kind of game thats fine(sexualized games), but trying to make excuses for yourself makes you seem like a wussy.

• MisterTeaBHMisterTeaBH Member Posts: 22
    ASS AND TITTIES, time to give this a try since every mmo lately has been boring as hell
  • spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Originally posted by adam_nox

Think your generalising too much Adam. Most guys I have played alongside who play female toons enjoy roleplaying from a female perspective. These games are ment to be roll-playing games at their core after all. I don't know if you ever played D&D  or anything like that but playing somebody that isn't like you and walking in somebody elses shoes was the draw for a lot of people. Though we all know the type of player you describe are out there and in droves, I think a lot of it is bluster sometimes.  To say "I play girl toons becasue I like looking at their ass!" Is a lot easier to get away with saying on an internet forum than "!I want to roll -play a girl" is ever going to be.  I think any way people want to play in an mmorpg is cool unless they harm others(not including pvp) or try to graft their stoneage principles on other people and the way they play.  It's all about escapisium for a lot of people after all.