Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$5000 Personal Island Tier. Would you?

Comments

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

hell no...unless I could see an opportunity to earn abit on it, but then that is not well seen by most of the MMO community ; )

well I guess if it were a game I loved and had a couple millions on the account, buut I dont : P

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    $5000 could get me a quarter century of subscription time to a better game.  They can keep their island.
  • ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

I once blew 150$ on a collecter's edition, and the game failed.

If the game will have microtransactions and its a success, then maybe.

• DaizeddDaizedd Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Arcona

If the game will have microtransactions 

It will most definitely NOT. This has been stated by MJ multiple times.

• jandrsnjandrsn Member Posts: 187
    Can we see the actual books? That's a big point for me being a minnesotan. We bought over half of the new Vikings stadium but can't legally see what the team earns. Same idea here; we pay for something as a group, but a few pay extra to get luxury suites and the general population can't find out if those boxes are needed revenue or pure gravy. I'm tired of cash shops period! Produce a good game, sell a 50-60 dollar box, and charge $15 a month. No special treatment period. We can do some math if you want to, but that's a lot of income without setting some gamers above others because of cold hard cash. People talk of how many millions went to develop SWToR, but how much of that was for the IP rights?
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    It really is as simple as how much 5k is for you? If it's nothing, then why the heck not if you have any confidence in this project? However if it is much, I think you're an idiot putting that cash into a single computer game you know nothing certain about yet and havent tried.
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by Daizedd

From my point of view alotta peeps posting here have got things seriously ass backwards.

Somebody with more disposable income than you (5 grand is really not alot of money for a segment of the population,. Hell I could probably even manage it if I didn't have a wife, kids, and a serious cigar smoking habit, and I am far far away from being rich) wants to spend some of it supporting a game which you all agree is a great concept.

5k is like 50 people investing 100 dollars, so he is helping us all out big time to fund this game. As a thank you he gets a virtual island in the game in an obviously  non-strategic area. The guy is NOT buying an island folks. He is supporting a game we all want to play. All he deserves is a big thank you from all of us because he is willing to put some of his diposable income down at a level most of us can't. That is what MJ is giving him; a thank you note in the form of a virtual island, which as many have pointed out has no real value. Absolutely no one should hold that against either MJ or the contributer if they have any sense or perspective.

What I am seeing here in terms of posts seems to be like some kind of weird form of totally inappropriate jealosy. Why the hell would you be angry about someone helping out big-time to make a game you want to see become a reality and getting a virtual thank-you for it?

you 4 real man? sorry dude but i think you just called us "jealous brats" or something?

Altough i do admit i aint rich i can't complain.....i got plenty of money live a good life, i would never EVER (but that's just mho) give soo much money to pixels.

Yeah yeah they are just "supporting" the dev team you say........i see this different......check my view on this.

They want us to support a product that is nowhere near finished and with no money back if the game fails within weeks?

But if the game is a success, they keep the profit and you get some nice shiny pixels to look at.

That's why i would rather spend my money on a dog shelter if we where talking amounts like this 1000's of $.

Dont get me wrong, i supported grinding gear games with POE and glad i did......but we are talking 50$ here and not a small fortune.

Just shows how decadent some rich f*cks realy are that they rather support there own ingame status (oh look at my island) then helping people or animals who realy have nothing.

Game companies dont make games for the gamers anymore, the cash is all they (you) guys want but fail to admit to it.

We aint blind or stupid.

Originally posted by oubers

you 4 real man? sorry dude but i think you just called us "jealous brats" or something?

Jealous brats? Ya I guess I can go with that. Your post just confirms that view and adds "self-righteous" to the mix. Who the hell are you to tell someone how they should spend their money on a game?

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243

LOL, $5000. For a virtual island. In a game that isn't even worthy of the title vaporware.

No thanks.

Maybe MJ was inspired by http://www.privateislandsblog.com/

• jandrsnjandrsn Member Posts: 187
    Originally posted by Stromm

LOL, $5000. For a virtual island. In a game that isn't even worthy of the title vaporware.No thanks.

But it's on da kickstarters, it must be the awesomest thing evar!!!! (This is sarcasm in case you are incapable of getting that. If you are still confused, I have an island to sell you in this hot new game......)
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    It really is as simple as how much 5k is for you? If it's nothing, then why the heck not

Well, not really as simple as that.... I, for example, prefer to see it as what can 5k potentiolly do for others.

I would rather give it to my local dog sanctuary or community garden or whatever.

I support my games by buying the box, and I am willing to buy into crowd funding up to that point, but once the amounts reach higher amounts I have to question what that money can actually achieve in the wider world.

I mean, each to their own when it comes to their oen money, I am just saying never trust the guy that states 'it's as simple as...' ;)

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I wouldn't, and not because of lack of money. Mostly because I find the concept of the game to be incomplete. I think it will be fun, but it is sort of coming off as a daoc lite. Less classes (to start), no pve, just doesn't click for me.

Now if it had everything I was looking for, probably still wouldn't. I have better uses for my money, like traveling. Would still toss a few hundred at it, but that would be if it was more than what it is. Currently, I am leaning towards not contributing at all, but that could change as I get more info.

• MortifyMortify Member Posts: 95

Some people seem to have an opinion what other people should do with their money. It's their own business.

If someone has an abundance of money and they like the KS and CU, why not spend $5000 on it?

Personally i will go for a somewhat lower tier, so no island for me ;).

Methos, Armsman, EU Excalibur
    Jager, Infiltrator, EU Excalibur
    Phos, Cleric, EU Excalibur
    Mortify, Sorcerer, EU Excalibur

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by PRX_sklurb
    Gamebreaker has an interview in which MJ reveals a new tier that allows you to own your own island for a pledge of $5000 in the non-instanced world. Any takers? Would you if you could? Would like to hear more about what sort of features this Island will have and if backers can make any specific requests.

No i would not, nor would i ever support these kind of milking mechanix.

At least this game is finally off my wannahave list now.

hf^^

/wave

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by Sornin

I see a lot of people essentially saying "only idiots would pay $5,000 for an island" and "Mark and CSE are scamming people."

I will agree that $5,000 is a lot to spend on a video game. However, $500,000 is a lot to spend on a car. If it makes the customer happy, why judge? People get pleasure from their hobbies, and some are willing to spend lots of money on them. And why shouldn't they be able to?

As for Mark and his company ripping people off, where is the gun and the bag with the $ symbol on it? Are they robbing people at gunpoint? No. They have laid out what they are going to do, and people are free to believe them or not, just as they are free to pledge nothing or $10,000. There is no duplicity here; if people feel ripped off it will be because they made a poor decision, not because they were tricked.

Anyway, I see more bitterness and jealousy than I see reasonable discussion. If you cannot afford a $5,000 island, join the club with me. If you want to argue some actual relevant points about it, sure. However, mindless bashing of the people who would pay that because they can and want to, or the company, is pointless.

Helllloooou?! The guy ( and every guy ) who spend $500k or 1k for a car, will 99.99.99.100% see the car , test it first and such.  

Nice "write-up" for a guy talking about "argue" , "midless bashing of the people" and my favorit "Are they robbing people at gunpoint"? No , they are not robbing people in Indiana Jones style. We are in 21 century , where talk is not cheap anymore since "dOh" people are ... like zergs in Starcraft.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

There are people who will kickstart the game with $5000 and more, no matter what rewards there are at that tier.

It's not like those people are waiting to see what the reward will be.

They already have the money ready to go.

Heck, some people gave Faster Than Light $5000, and that game didn't come out of alpha. Release was the same as alpha.

• PRX_sklurbPRX_sklurb Member Posts: 167

Gotta echo what someone said earlier about some people having this ass-backwards...the idea here is that $5000 is a donation to a creative project and the island is intended as a fun way of saying "THANK YOU" for the donation. I think Mark Jacobs needed to come up with creative ways to fill in those tier rewards, and at different levels, they can't all be the same. 

I ask those who voiced their irritation to give Mark the benefit of the doubt here.

CLICK: »»» http://CamelotUnchained.net «««

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Mortify

Some people seem to have an opinion what other people should do with their money. It's their own business.

If someone has an abundance of money and they like the KS and CU, why not spend $5000 on it?

Well, it is an opinion thread, so opinions are what you are gonna get.

It obviously *is* their own business what they want to do with their money, but that dosen't stop others having an opinion on what others choose to do with their own money.

If I think someone is ridiculous for spending that kind of money for what is being offered here I will say so. I wouldn't try to stop them from doing it, but I would shake my head and consider them foolish.

Why not though? All I can say is why I wouldn't, as I did above.

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by Sornin

Helllloooou?! The guy ( and every guy ) who spend $500k or 1k for a car, will 99.99.99.100% see the car , test it first and such.  

Nice "write-up" for a guy talking about "argue" , "midless bashing of the people" and my favorit "Are they robbing people at gunpoint"? No , they are not robbing people in Indiana Jones style. We are in 21 century , where talk is not cheap anymore since "dOh" people are ... like zergs in Starcraft.

If the kickstarter doesn't fund, we won't have our money taken. On the other hand, if KS fund, as MJ is putting 2M from his own pocket and will have at least 1M from another source we can be pretty sure it'll make it to release. Also, with 5K you are sure to have acces to the early stage of testing and bug hunting, so you may not test it before buying but you'll get to make it the best way possible.

About the "you could do better thing of your money", well yes you could. What are YOU doing with the 5k you said you could pull out? Will you give it to a charity as you said you could? Or will you use it to buy some currency, maybe a car, or whatever you want, was it travelling too? I do not like to travel. I don't see the difference between putting that much money into a numerical world that will bring me fun and memories and putting it into a real world that will do the same -except i hate travelling-. Well, maybe you will have some souvenir, but you'll pay for them too.

Just tell me how much you spent for your own welfare, be it cigarette, seats for a football match, tickets to see a cinema movie, go to the restaurant, how much do you pay for your hollidays?

I do not like to smoke, nor do i appreciate football, i rarely got to the cinema or restaurant and as i hate travelling i don't go on hollidays either. What i like to do, is to play video games, read books and study science, so is it wrong for me to spend money in those activities?

Furthermore, as it was said in a previous post, you can gather the funding of several people to get to the 5K in one KS account and have a guild island too, do you still think it is too much?

In case you really care about the problems of the world, then instead of spending your money randomly then do like me, go read that website : http://www.thevenusproject.com/en

You won't even have to give money, the only thing you have to do for now is spread the word about it, and you'll see than if it is worthless it'll collapse on its own. Although i do like to believe it can become true.

• EaderbrecaEaderbreca MMORPG.com StreamerMember Posts: 44
    I would love to give as much, but I don't think there's any way I can accumulate that much to give away :p

(¯`v?¯) Sophie Breca (?.•?¯`•?.•*?¯`•*
    `*.?.*? Streamer at MMORPG.com
    (\__/)?.•?.•* DAoC PC Staff?)?.•*?)
    (="."=) (?.•? twitter.com/SophieBreca (?.•?
    (")_(")youtube.com/user/sophiebreca
    facebook.com/user/eaderbreca

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

The game is all talk not even listed on Kickstarter and they will need to have something to show investors before they can start a kickstart, words won't cut it and that is all there is on this game right now. Needs to be removed from the list of games in development until such a time that it is actually being developed.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Not even if I hit the lottery. I would never pay 5k for pixels. I haven't payed for a subscription in over a year now.

Besides, Where will your money be when the game eventually shuts down?

Originally posted by DMKano

No - for something that is most likely not ever going to see a launch date, no.

I hope CU funds and launches, but the odds are heavily against them, that is the hard truth.

The vast majority of game kickstarters fail to fund, and then consider how many MMOs fail in development, and then how many turn out crappy.

This is a BRUTAL business to be in and the gamers are very needy and pretty unforgiving.

Good luck :)

When you are proved totally wrong a few weeks from now, can we get a mea culpa over here? :p

• rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408

Ehhh... Island = physically removed from other = bascially instanced in MMO terms... 

What's the point of housing if it's not more communal in nature? Only way this would be useful is for a guild/alliance as others have mentioned.