Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: PAX East 2013 Postmortem

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

With PAX East 2013 now behind us, we're offering our thoughts on some of the things we looked forward to seeing at the show.

WildStar looks gorgeous every time we see it and I find myself impressed with the game in new ways each time Carbine gives us a closer look at the game’s fairly nuanced game design. If you play the game for a couple of minutes, you might get the idea that WildStar is just a quirky “me too” MMO, but there is a whole lot going on under the surface. Barring any surprises, this is my game to watch in 2013.

Read more of Michael Bitton's PAX East 2013 Postmortem.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    ES - we will see
    MH - no thanks
    FF - now thats condidence lol
    Wildstar - I agree

The FF thing touches on others as well though, what is it with the lack of confidence in ones own product.

ES is close to getting my stamp, they have really opened the doors lately, all im waiting for from ES and WS at this point is a release date.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I'm still waiting and hoping for a true virtual world style super hero MMO.  I have absolutely no interest in Marvel Heroes.  Just like I was disappointed in City of Heroes and Champions Online and DC Universe Online.  Every one of them combat focused with little or no worlds to speak of with tons of instancing and always twitchy.

I'm looking forward to trying Elder Scrolls Online and learning more about EverQuest Next.  I'm not sure about Wildstar as it seems to be a raid or die game.  I do like its atmosphere which is delightfully created by wonderful voice overs with both nuanced and fun tongue and cheek humor.

The behavior of the FFXIV team makes me wonder if there is the possibility that the higher ups may be considering shutting the whole thing down, which would certainly be reflected in such a glum and lackluster presence at the show.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    ESO, please be buy to play, please be buy to play, please be buy to play,...

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    The Repopulation. Nothing?

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• mm6131mm6131 Member Posts: 1
    No love for Repopulation?
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Final Fantasy and Marvel Heroes?  Neither are worth mentioning IMO, they will be nonentities within 6 months of release if they last that long.

Even Neverwinter will do better than either of them.  Wildstar and Elder Scrolls will do quite well though, will have to agree with you there.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by mm6131

We didn't see it.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Vorch
    ESO, please be buy to play, please be buy to play, please be buy to play,...

lol

What happen if it's not B2P?

• GaeluianGaeluian Member UncommonPosts: 114

Wildstar looks like another stupid cartooned MMO. The main reason I didn't play World of Warcraft.

Do people really like this style graphics in an MMO? Is this what has become acceptable?

I am so hesitant of any new MMOs anymore.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

the only one I am watching now is ESO,  the rest well I seen footage for wildstar and it looks like something from full metal alchamist, and all I got to say about that is its grea if your my 23 year old, its meh for me.  

Looks like another year of nothing in the mmorpg world.  Not good. 

• Zeref.DyverZeref.Dyver Member Posts: 270
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Final Fantasy and Marvel Heroes?  Neither are worth mentioning IMO, they will be nonentities within 6 months of release if they last that long.

Even Neverwinter will do better than either of them.  Wildstar and Elder Scrolls will do quite well though, will have to agree with you there.

So tell me, I'm dying to know...

In what year are we finally able to create a working time machine?

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123
    that it? wheres the rest of the article! it covers 3 games!
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

So we have another know-everything guy here :) You should contact FOX or BBC or something and create a show

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

So we have another know-everything guy here :) You should contact FOX or BBC or something and create a show

Hey at least he has the maturity to not act hurt when someone decks a game he likes, no matter how justified it may be (sorry but FF... just doesn't look to be much more than a bright graphical explosion followed by a puff of smoke and then nothing).

• SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Originally posted by Gaeluian

Wildstar looks like another stupid cartooned MMO. The main reason I didn't play World of Warcraft.

Do people really like this style graphics in an MMO? Is this what has become acceptable?

I am so hesitant of any new MMOs anymore.

Sounds like your open minded.... lol

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

He has an opinion in an opinion thread.  He added to the discussion.  What about you?  Oh nothing.  Realistically, he's probably not far off the mark.  FFXIV has an insane hole to climb out of.  The only people that are giving it an insta pass at this point are those that were willing to do the same with the original version.  Marvel Heroes will probably be fun for what it is, but again not likely to be remembered a year from.

Wildstar is a maybe and ESO is going to make a mark whether you like it or not.  He was probably right about D&D:N in that it will likely make more of a splash and have a greater affect on the genre than either ARR or MH.

The people giving FFXIV a second chance are the people that have bothered to read up about the game. It's a completely rebuilt game, almost nothing is the same. It's even on a new engine. Any preconceptions based on how 1.0 turned out are pointless because the rerelease has almost nothing in common with it beyond the class system.

They didn't show a lot at PAX because they're busy. They had their big marketing push about a month ago instead when they launched the benchmark.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Hey Mike,

Good write-up. I would have loved to hit up PAX, but that job thing gets me every time. I am surprised there wasn't more of a solid marketing campaign for FFXIV at PAX E', we all know the company needs it. I do want to ask, what does a "me too" mmo mean?

Thanks, 

Ink

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    You've got to talk the event organizers into letting more time be allowed for the "Future of Online Games" panel.  1 hour is not enough, could of easily gone 7 or 8 hours and kept my attention the entire time.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by mm6131

We didn't see it.

It was Joshua in a rather non-descript booth at the end of a row near the indies. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DMKano

My take on PAX east - it's losing more relevance every year, it was even smaller than last year, I think the trend will continue as long as the gaming industry is struggling.

GDC SF and PAX East were back to back, so a lot of devs limited their presence to the event that best fit their current message/news. For example, Turbine HQ is about 40 minutes away from there, but their big announcements were the opening of a San Fran office and their upcoming MOBA, Infinite Crisis, which is stuff more for the developer and industry oriented crowd. SOE had recently released a bunch of new titles and they've been through the circuit mostly, so their Dragon's Prophet reveal and PS2 player app announcements were more of a GDC thing, as well. SOE did have some reps and even a player gathering in Boston for PAX East, though.

It's an event that's definitely not losing relevance, as it has grown in both attendance and reach each year.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445
    As for Final Fantasy XIV, let's not forget their development team is in Japan and their English Community is very small at the time being. PAX is sort of a too-small-to-notice sort of event for SquareEnix and will likely be aiming their guns at bigger name events down the line.
  • trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

The game really felt like playing an Elder Scrolls title. Just take off in any direction and do just about whatever you want!

Mike your a nice guy, but this is a lie, I have been playing elderscrolls games for over 10 years, if the game doesn't allow players to become necromancers, or conjurers it is nothing like an Elderscrolls game, nor does it allow you too do anything you want. Please do not lie to the people who visit this website, and give them false hope that they are going to get a  game that is completlely open world, open ended class system, when we all know it's not. If there is something that you know that I don't please pm me. I'de be most interested to know, because I was told by my friend that is currently beta testing it, it's not open ended like the Elderscrolls games, and nothing like Elderscrolls at all. It's a complete themepark like every other MMO

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by trash656

The game really felt like playing an Elder Scrolls title. Just take off in any direction and do just about whatever you want!

Mike your a nice guy, but this is a lie, I have been playing elderscrolls games for over 10 years, if the game doesn't allow players to become necromancers, or conjurers it is nothing like an Elderscrolls game, nor does it allow you too do anything you want. Please do not lie to the people who visit this website, and give them false hope that they are going to get a  game that is completlely open world, open ended class system, when we all know it's not. If there is something that you know that I don't please pm me. I'de be most interested to know, because I was told by my friend that is currently beta testing it, it's not open ended like the Elderscrolls games, and nothing like Elderscrolls at all. It's a complete themepark like every other MMO

Not every MMO is a themepark dude :P (just saying because EVE-Online is the type of game where you can do anything you want at any time, just that it takes time to do it well).

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by DMKano

My take on PAX east - it's losing more relevance every year, it was even smaller than last year, I think the trend will continue as long as the gaming industry is struggling.

Thats funny since the gaming industry is growning at incredible rates now and has just recently become the highest grossing section of entertainment.

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211

Neverwinter was probably the game with the second longest line (if you don't count league but its out so i wont) at pax so i find it odd they aren't talking about it in this article.  People should realize thought that ESO could be horrible and still have a chance to be the all awaited WoW killer.  The game had the longest line i've ever seen at pax.  At one point the line wrapped all the way around the booth and then ran the complete width of the floor on top of that.  It was well over a 2 hour wait.  What makes WoW is population and momentum more than anything else, so if ESO gets that kind of population and momentum then it will be very very successful.

All in all the top games at pax were great this year but the other booths were a serious fall off from the last two pax.  Normally one of the best things about pax is all the games you never would have heard off that you see and look awesome of which there really werent any this year.  The indi booth was full of what I call hipster indies and there was very little quality to what they brought.  The vendors at pax this year didnt really show off goods and were more interested in having quarky announcers for people playing random games.

The main thing that was great this year was there was a huge improvement in panel quality over the last pax.