Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

too adult for MMORPG?

eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I see they've removed the advertising for this game.  Do you think that this game is just too adult for the average mmorpg.com viewer?

I would be inclined to think it simply because the squeaking wheel gets the grease, instead of being a general concensus. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Too adult? No, too stupid for being an MMORPG.
  • MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

I wouldn't have said too adult.

Too crude maybe.

Aimed at teens, definately.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    In all honesty, I really never pay much attention to any of the ads.  I've become accustomed to the layout that I just ignore them XD
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Awwww,  I miss the ads.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Agreed, there was nothing adult about their ads.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

To be fair it's not just the ads.

The game has bust size on the character sheet.

If you were developing a supersoldier to fend of an alien invasion, breasts would surely be right up there on important things.  Oh and skimpy uniforms, can't have a female soldier hindered by armour.

The game was designed with a very clear demographic in mind :)

• DalekThayDalekThay Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Miblet

To be fair it's not just the ads.

The game has bust size on the character sheet.

If you were developing a supersoldier to fend of an alien invasion, breasts would surely be right up there on important things.  Oh and skimpy uniforms, can't have a female soldier hindered by armour.

The game was designed with a very clear demographic in mind :)

Of course not! Every intelligent sentient being knows that the most important things are mechanical eyestalks, plunger arms, and bumpy metal skirts.

That being said I didn't really care about the ads. I got a chuckle out of a couple of them, but I can see why some people might have been offended.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Violence is fine but boobies are the devil, so says the mmorpg.com community. get over it ffs.
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Any game that has to sell itself by showing scantily clad women with all T&A hanging out cannot have much else going for it.
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

'adult' was not what came to mind when i saw those ads

more like juvenile

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Baseless assumptions galore.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Why do ppl assume the Ads got pulled and it wasn't just because their time was up ?
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I see they've removed the advertising for this game.  Do you think that this game is just too adult for the average mmorpg.com viewer?

I would be inclined to think it simply because the squeaking wheel gets the grease, instead of being a general concensus. 

Too immature is more accurate.

You make me like charity

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye
    Any game that has to sell itself by showing scantily clad women with all T&A hanging out cannot have much else going for it.

Almost every MMO ad has scantily clad women featured. Perhaps not as scantily as SB but there's still plenty of leg and cleavage on show. As others have said, I find it amusing that any amount of violence can be accepted but boobs can't. It boggles the mind.

I'm more interested if a game is fun or not.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

As I had mentioned before I have no problem with using scantily clad people to sell a product. Heck, I host a "B Movie" movie night every thursday that pretty much plunders all those roger corman, russ meyer, etc 60's, 70's and early 80's films.

My issue (completely selfish on my part) is that I can look at non work web pages at work as long as I excel at my job.

It was getting to the point that I couldn't really have the site up because it just wasn't "safe for work".

If they want to put the ads back "fine". It just means that I will look at the site at home instead. Less views in the day for me but won't get me a "talkin' to".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Why do ppl assume the Ads got pulled and it wasn't just because their time was up ?

Entirely possible but I doubt we'd get a response from the people that actually know.  I think it would be great to hear from them though.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• vindirvindir Member UncommonPosts: 68

Not much different than the Sevencore ad right now on my screen with the chick ass up and cleavage hanging out. Is SB over the top in terms of sexuality, yes more so than other games; but other games also use sex to sell. And whether it is violence or sex in the ads, they go hand in hand with media consumption.

I will say though, that the SB ads that were on recenlty did give me pause to think about where and when I could come to mmorpg. I have small children who often look at what daddy is doing on line. As well, I am not too sure my wife would have appreciated those ads if she saw them. I am not saying that they shoudl be taken down. I am not going to lobby my personal views of what is right or wrong on mmorpg. If they want them up, put them up. However, becuase I would prefer my kids at the present age they are at not to be exposed by dad to that level of sexuality, and becuase I respect my wife (and women for that point), if ads like the SB ones are going to become more prominante, then when and where I log on here will become less and less.

• NC360NC360 Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Violence is fine but boobies are the devil, so says the mmorpg.com community. get over it ffs.

Some people are just really bothered by sexuality in a way that they're not when it comes to violence. The other thing for companies to do is ignore these people and make the games however they want, until these people come to understand that they're not the morality police for everyone else.

And yes a game with nudity, or that is simply pushing sexuality in ads and everything, can be a very good game. There is no law saying that a boobie makes the gameplay bad. The only problem is when the gameplay itself is bad. As far as I'm concered, it would be nice to have a really good game that so happens to be edgy when it comes to showing off the skin. But in truth, that game would be under fire as well. Which is probably why companies fear making a good game sexual, as they don't want to take a chance when the morality police go on their witch hunt.

• NC360NC360 Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

Breasts aren't evil. Extreme objectification of female attributes is.

Sexuality doesn't equal objectification. Selling a game that focuses on sexuality, doesn't equal objectification. Meaning that there is nothing about it that means it's all a person is good for; in this case a video game character.

Man I think there is too much demonization of the female form. It's got to end.

Originally posted by NC360

Sexuality doesn't equal objectification. Selling a game that focuses on sexuality, doesn't equal objectification. Meaning that there is nothing about it that means it's all a person is good for; in this case a video game character.

Agreed.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

AGE paid mmorpg.com to show that ad for certain amount of time, the time is up and the ad is gone. it is as simple as that. and i find it very amusing that cutting off headsother body parts, blood splash on screen, gore, even killing child "demon" in game are accepted without a word but showing some boobs is being treated like blasphemy. grow up.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

There was nothing wrong with the ads. There is also nothing wrong with the sexuality in the game. It's actually presented in a pretty light hearted, fluffy manner, with a lot of tongue in cheek humor.

It's only because of the unhealthy level of sexual repression in our society that the ads, or the game, would raise any issues at all. The acceptable glorification of extreme forms of violence in games and media, while suppressing something as normal and life affirming as sensuality and sexuality will someday have future historians shaking their heads in bewilderment.

The funny thing about the ads is that almost every game ad we've ever seen on the site has used sexuality in one form or another to sell their game. The only difference is that SB actually delivers on it's tease in the actual game.

Some people just need to lighten up.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I completely agree. It's really one of the remaining forms of acceptable repression of women in modern society. That some women take part in that repression doesn't make it not so. If we didn't have such unhealthy attitudes about sex and the human body in our society, it would be pretty difficult to actually objectify anyone based on sexuality. Patriarchy has always been the driving force behind repression of the normalcy of human sexuality and the human form. The idea that normalization of sexual expression is misogynistic is absurd and misguided.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by fiontar

I completely agree. It's really one of the remaining forms of acceptable repression of women in modern society. That some women take part in that repression doesn't make it not so. If we didn't have such unhealthy attitudes about sex and the human body in our society, it would be pretty difficult to actually objectify anyone based on sexuality. Patriarchy has always been the driving force behind repression of the normalcy of human sexuality and the human form. The idea that normalization of sexual expression is misogynistic is absurd and misguided.

Agreed. Any kind of hiarchy results in objefication. You think the 1% give a damn about the rest of the 99%? Think again. You see this kind of thing everywhere, you just have to look. 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

I am 52 + now /cry housewife and I'm saying this to give you  a base for my opinion. I just feel that this games ad thing does not give advertisements on male body parts as much prominence okay that came out a  bit tongue in cheek what I am saying is that this games area is mainly a guy thing so ads cater to tits and boobs wait that is the same thing I mean ass and tits.

Also I think ads on men showing hair on thier navel and below is not even so common but yet in europe where I live breast get flashed on T.V. I just feel its a little unfair but not because I want to drool over them just that I would like to see more naked men on T.V. no that is not what I meant I mean that society has evolved to an extent that equal exposure to men and women were acceptable.

Chamber of Chains