Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After seeing the trailer for Defiance...

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I must admit, considering Syfy usually have second rate or old series, that I am impressed. Decent characters, nice effects and the story seems pretty cool.

The game though seems a bit repetetive. ThemePark with action combat, which has been done so many times already, does not seem special. Hopefully I am wrong but so far this game has yet to convince me to buy it. 

But the series I will definitely watch.

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    How many mmos have done third person shooter combat? I can only think of fallen earth but it wasnt realy fast and as twitchy as most third person shooter games.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by tkreep

How many mmos have done third person shooter combat? I can only think of fallen earth but it wasnt realy fast and as twitchy as most third person shooter games.

SWG had both 1st and 3rd person modes.
  • neotronneotron Member UncommonPosts: 47
    But SWG wasn't a shooter. It was purely skill/roll based.  Compared to Fallen Earth, which I played and enjoyed, the combat is much better. I played FE in 2-3 sessions but never got beyond low level 20s because I got frustrated with how bad the combat really was. The large, open vistas with vehicles was cool. Defiance doesn't have the depth of crafting that FE has, but combat is good and the areas do appear large, and open. In a world where most MMO's use zoning, that's strangely refreshing.
  • ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

Tabula Rasa. SWG and Darkfall UW

• TrixxellTrixxell Member UncommonPosts: 17
    MMO Third Person Shooter with PvE.... Tabula Rasa, didn't last 6 months, hope Defience has a better track record.
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

I tend to agree.

Its basically a standard linear solo quest grinder. Run from hub to hub doing repetitive quests which involve killing unchallenging enemies. There is zero need to communicate with anyone ever if you can even find the chat box.

The combat is different than standard MMO fare. Compared to other shooters however its not very good due to no sticky cover and clumsy jumping and dodging.

Might be fun to just run around and mindlessly shoot stuff that barely shoots back, but there isn't enough here to keep people for longer than a month.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Darkfall

Tera

Planetside

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Nihilist

I tend to agree.

Its basically a standard linear solo quest grinder. Run from hub to hub doing repetitive quests which involve killing unchallenging enemies. There is zero need to communicate with anyone ever if you can even find the chat box.

The combat is different than standard MMO fare. Compared to other shooters however its not very good due to no sticky cover and clumsy jumping and dodging.

Might be fun to just run around and mindlessly shoot stuff that barely shoots back, but there isn't enough here to keep people for longer than a month.

I take it you only played Beta. Dont worry. Stuff definitely shoots back much more later in the game, like in San Fran. Theyll also throw up deployable force fields to protect themselves & allies, use cloaking, 2 shot you with sniper rifles, bombard the hell out of you with explosives, etc.

BTW. I didnt get around to playing this last beta weekend more than a few minutes. Did they even have the elemental effects in on mobs for the beta or were they still out? If not... well just wait until the game launches. It will be more challenging than beta.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Ya I have a feeling that the show will out do the game.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Isturi

Ya I have a feeling that the show will out do the game.

Same.
  • SagethornSagethorn Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by Oswold
    MMO Third Person Shooter with PvE.... Tabula Rasa, didn't last 6 months, hope Defience has a better track record.

Im hoping Defiance lasts longer than Tabula Rasa aswel, seeing as tho i bought the collectors for Tabula Rasa and just preordered the collectors for Defiance aswel, dont feel like getting burnt twice for my troubles, is it so difficult to have a scifi shooter mmo.

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

Well, depending on how you want to define it... Global Agenda was popular for a while, then there's these:

http://www.mmobomb.com/games/mmofps

http://mmohuts.com/editorials/top-10-mmofps-shooters

^ mostly the same stuff.

• r3dl4ncer3dl4nce Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by sanshi44

Darkfall

Tera

Planetside

Darkfall has a mix of first and third person, according to the weapon

TERA is not a shooter, is a MMORPG with action combat

Planetside is FPS, not TPS

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Defiance reminds me of Tabula Rasa, they look so identical in gameplay but for some reason Defiance doesn't grab me like Tabula Rasa did.

That was NCSoft's call, they forged a letter from Richard Garriot saying he wanted out and this was while he was out in space so he filed a lawsuit when he returned. It was actually starting to pick up before NCSoft cut it off. And it lasted more than 6 months, just about a year and half.

• CoochanaweCoochanawe Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by Yamota

I must admit, considering Syfy usually have second rate or old series, that I am impressed. Decent characters, nice effects and the story seems pretty cool.

The game though seems a bit repetetive. ThemePark with action combat, which has been done so many times already, does not seem special. Hopefully I am wrong but so far this game has yet to convince me to buy it. 

But the series I will definitely watch.

I played in last weekends beta.   I enjoyed the gameplay and the environment design.  Although the first area is definitely a themepark, it doesn't feel like it at all.  Was doing missions that played out with a spontaneous feel, then rushing to an arkfall to fight alongside other players, then jumping into open world PvP, the whole while trying out new weapons, distributing ego points etc.

Coming from sandbox SWG, and being hugely dissapointed by SWTOR, Defiance has been the first game I see myself enjoying.

I wasn't 100% sure I would pre-order until I drove deeper into the game territory and saw how the mission types and enemies evolved to make for more variety.  Also PvPing and seeing how other players combined there EGO power with Weapons and playstyle helped me see that there is definitely replay value for me.

The fact its 60 bucks no sub and there is a tv show tie in makes the investment well worth it for me.

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

I still have Fallen Earth loaded and jump in there from time to time. If the new owners did more than expand the cash shop the game might still be marketable.

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by Nihilist

I tend to agree.

Did you even play any of the open beta events?

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Tabula Rasa launched in a crappy state because it started out as a completely different game about unicorns and dancing. You'll find that any time an MMO makes a major, dramatic shift halfway through development where the final product isn't even recognizable from the original, that it will likely hit the ground face first and then lie there and die.