Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally some innovation

124»

Comments

• GGrimmGGrimm Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by fallenlords
    At last the genre has taken a step forward - here we have an MMO releasing on all major gaming platforms and coinciding with a TV series release.   The scope of what is trying to be achieved here is massive compared to what has been done recently.

Yeah. This was a really balzy move on the part of SyFy. I've got to hand it to them for trying to connect gaming and television programming. The IDEA that one could play an MMO and somehow impact a TV show that it is written around is very compelling. I look forward to seeing how SyFy implements this concept.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    At last the genre has taken a step forward - here we have an MMO releasing on all major gaming platforms and coinciding with a TV series release.   The scope of what is trying to be achieved here is massive compared to what has been done recently. 

I am playing the beta on Xbox and loving it, no major issues apart from a bit of lag during an Arkfall event.  All things considered it's a top game.  Of course PC players might feel short changed to the technology limitations of the current batch of consoles. And the game in itself  is a typical MMO - but really its kudos to Trion and Syfy for the convergence of the technologies and media.

Next step should be an MMO with cross platform integration - but I doubt that will ever happen.   Perhaps it's not a bad thing to keep console and PC players apart.

I will buy this game on ps3,  65 inch TV vs 24 inch moniter...... no comparision

by the way FFXI is a cross platform MMO ps2, 360, PC, it happened long time age, but we all know now how the mmorpg genre has de-evolved since 2002.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by FromHell

Next step should be an MMO with cross platform integration - but I doubt that will ever happen.   Perhaps it's not a bad thing to keep console and PC players apart.

Sorry but that is absolute BS.

Who the hell cares on what machine you run a game client, console or PC, it´s nothing but a different casing and OS.

X-Box is a PC, and the PS4 will have PC architecture too, so the only difference is the type of controller people use to play the games.

You know that it is only Microsofts and Sonys fault that they don´t allow cross connection to external gaming networks, for security reasons. They only want to run their own little secluded server architectures, that is why WindowsPC-Xbox-PS-Mac cross gaming will never work. 

Well the different control mechanics especially with something like a shooter, don't lend themselves to cross platform integration.  You would have PC players owning anybody with a console just due to the accuracy of the keyboard/mouse as a control mechanism.   You would need some serious aim assist on the consoles with a controller to level the playing field.

Somebody has already mentioned cross platform has been done already with FFXI - PC, PS2, Xbox 360. Not being a fan of that series I have no idea how successful it was overall or how well it ran.

Like I say, keeping console and PC gamers separate isn't a bad thing I don't think - different mentality for one thing.  For example I always feel I have a more level playing field in multiplayer on a console than I ever did on a PC.  Too many glitchers, macro users etc on the PC. Half the time especially with shooters it didn't ever come down to the skill of the player, just who was cheating the best.   Not that every PC player cheats, just I found it a lot more common on the PC .

FFXI is one of the top 5 grossing MMO's of all time. it held 500K subs for half a decade. The cross platform did hinder its aging process, but in todays mmo market 5 years is an eternity. Heck XI just announced a new expansion, its still kicking today. Game is over 10 years old.

A lot of grumbling over the UI, you cant make a game cross platform and give one platform an advantage over others, so the PC UI was limited because it had to work on console controllers. This should be less of a problem with next gen consols if devs want to make console mmo's where you can use keyboard and mouse with it, but i doubt that will happen, as if its on console expect controller friendly UI which will limit PC UI.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by GGrimm

Yeah. This was a really balzy move on the part of SyFy. I've got to hand it to them for trying to connect gaming and television programming. The IDEA that one could play an MMO and somehow impact a TV show that it is written around is very compelling. I look forward to seeing how SyFy implements this concept.

They have even mentioned player game characters appearing as part of the show as extras.  That could be interesting, see a representation of your toon bombing around on screen.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    i am not noticed any inovation in game but, I dont care for inovations ,game is great for an  shooter MMO !
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

I am playing the beta on Xbox and loving it, no major issues apart from a bit of lag during an Arkfall event.  All things considered it's a top game.  Of course PC players might feel short changed to the technology limitations of the current batch of consoles. And the game in itself  is a typical MMO - but really its kudos to Trion and Syfy for the convergence of the technologies and media.

Final Fantasy 11 already did cross plarform integration since early 2000 with PC/360/PS2 so i guess it would be a step backwards.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

It's not going to be cross platform.  Because sony and microsoft don't want to play nice...that is exactly why I'll never buy another console.  One side says "Oh we have this game and that game, your games all suck".  The other side says the same thing, then says "the games we do share publishers have to pay alot extra and our console is better than yours blah blah blah".  Console's are a dying form.  The future is Mobile and PC.  Since Mobile is more open to mixing with PC.

Not to mention the quality of consoles.  If you have a gen 1 xbox 360 or ps3 that still works, you got lucky.  I got two PCs that date back to the Sega Genesis era...they still run if I plugged em in today lol.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Gravarg

It's not going to be cross platform.  Because sony and microsoft don't want to play nice...that is exactly why I'll never buy another console.  One side says "Oh we have this game and that game, your games all suck".  The other side says the same thing, then says "the games we do share publishers have to pay alot extra and our console is better than yours blah blah blah".  Console's are a dying form.  The future is Mobile and PC.  Since Mobile is more open to mixing with PC.

Not to mention the quality of consoles.  If you have a gen 1 xbox 360 or ps3 that still works, you got lucky.  I got two PCs that date back to the Sega Genesis era...they still run if I plugged em in today lol.

I still have my PS3 since it wat released and how are consoles dying form when they are announcing the next gen of consoles with some realy cool exclusive games like watch dogs.  Sorry you never had the chance to play Metal Gear or Zelda series and that your going to miss out on other exclusives like The Last of Us.  And they just announced Metal Gear 5 too oh well.  Im sorry I like playing games on PC too but consoles have had way better exclusives than PC ever did.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Gravarg

If you take a game like Skyrim only 14% of the 10 million sold was on PC.   The rest was on console.  MMO's are really what prop up the PC market.  If they make a better transition to console, bearing in mind the new round of consoles, well I am not so sure about the future of PC gaming.  It may benefit from this transitional console stage but then as a whole it seems in a state of disarray.   Do you go PC Linux based gaming, do you wait for Valves box, do throw your hat in with Nvidia.  Valve seem to think Windows 8 is the death of PC gaming, so it's anybodies guess as to where things are heading.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Sadly it shows the lack of gaming knowledge outside th N.American advertising realm.

Square Enix beat these guys by like 10 years.They released it on PS2 and PC almost 10 years ago and  Xbox came out later in 2006.

FF also released Advent Children in 2005,albeit is not a hi tech movie,it is animation.

You need to understand something else,TRION is doing  SMALL things with THEIR money,they are backed by an absolute GIANT in Time Warner.So when we judge the movie aspect,think Time Warner,NOT Trion.

Trion is not just relying on Time Warner either,they have a few other large Entities supporting them,basically handing them money.It really does matter becuase when you invest in yoru own project,it really proves yo uhave confidence in your own work.

I was actually hoping the OP had something to share on the THREAD title,i thought it had to do with innovation in gaming .

Until i see better, i see Archeage as being the most complete and most innovation in a long long time.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• r3dl4ncer3dl4nce Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by Wizardry
    Until i see better, i see Archeage as being the most complete and most innovation in a long long time.

Arhceage = farmville (archeville) + tab-1-2-3 combat

oh yes, very innovative LOL

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by cm01
    There's no gaming innovation here. Basically a lobbyless shooter with a TV show counterpart. The game itself lacks content and progression and will not retain any sizable playerbase.

Yup, total linear gameplay complete with boring questing.  Hardly any innovation whatsoever.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Yup, total linear gameplay complete with boring questing.  Hardly any innovation whatsoever.

So every shooter has a linear gameplay: you shoot to kill things. Hey, every MMORPG have a linear gameplay: you press some buttons to kill things. Lol.

Defiance have a nice storyline, the "boring questing" is often interrupted by dynamic events, arkfall, time trial, hotshots, you can sign in for Shadow War in your zone, and so on. More than this, I don't know what "non linear gameplay" you expect from a MMO...

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by r3dl4nce

So every shooter has a linear gameplay: you shoot to kill things. Hey, every MMORPG have a linear gameplay: you press some buttons to kill things. Lol.

Defiance have a nice storyline, the "boring questing" is often interrupted by dynamic events, arkfall, time trial, hotshots, you can sign in for Shadow War in your zone, and so on. More than this, I don't know what "non linear gameplay" you expect from a MMO...

LOL well I dont know what to tell you, not everyone wants to be told where to go and to do it and be lef by the hand from creation to cap.

That scenario you described is exactly why the MMO market is stagnant and msot games have a shelve life of about 1-3 months.

Check for games like Just Cause 2, Skyrim, UO, Asheron's Call, Eve and GW2 for sources for non linear gameplay.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

LOL well I dont know what to tell you, not everyone wants to be told where to go and to do it and be lef by the hand from creation to cap.
    Hey. It's working this way in ANY single theme park MMORPG. In Defiance, being a PvE game, you have a storyline to follow, but you must not follow it. You can get exp by doing PvP, coop, arkfalls, so you are not FORCED to do the storyline.
    So you are wrong

Check for games like Just Cause 2, Skyrim, UO, Asheron's Call, Eve and GW2 for sources for non linear gameplay.

Let's see, you are naming a single player game (Skyrim) that have nothing to do with MMO, a sandbox game and a classic theme park GW2 (I played gw2 for 2 months, it's the classic theme park where you farm levels and items).
    Defiance has aspects of MMOs (not of theme parks, lucky, no fixed classes, no fixed roles, no gear grinding) but it's a shooter in primis.