Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Wildstar, The Last Best Casual MMO!

velmaxvelmax palm bay, FLPosts: 211Member

You know how people say, save the best for last? Well this has crossed through out my mind today; and i think it makes sense. Wildstar is gaining popularity for its similar mmo-feel but improved. The future of mmo's have changed to sandbox- player generated content, and most mmos are going towards this type of gameplay. (Ex. Archeage, EQ Next, Star Citizen, etc.) Casual mmos are not being made anymore, but i think Carbine has saved the best for last!

See this interview with the content director, Mike Donatelli. (with Pokket)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDfQEhnHFak

The end game sounds promising, and bringing back 40-man raids that are Hardcore, is a big deal. Warplots sound like a lot of fun for pvp players, and solo instances at end game is good for.. well the solo players. 

Idk if Wildstar is gonna fail or not, but i do know its gonna last a long time.

Comments

• IsawaIsawa Middle 0 Nowhere, ORPosts: 1,051Member

New information, thanks for the share. Got one unannounced class defined as "main healer". Thinking a staff wielding class, hopefully more melee like monk as opposed to ranged staff.

Not sure if 40 main raids for the 1% are considered casual though :P

• velmaxvelmax palm bay, FLPosts: 211Member
    Originally posted by Eluldor

New information, thanks for the share. Got one unannounced class defined as "main healer". Thinking a staff wielding class, hopefully more melee like monk as opposed to ranged staff.

Not sure if 40 main raids for the 1% are considered casual though :P

True! 

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Shiloh, ILPosts: 864Member
    Originally posted by velmax

You know how people say, save the best for last? Well this has crossed through out my mind today; and i think it makes sense. Wildstar is gaining popularity for its similar mmo-feel but improved. The future of mmo's have changed to sandbox- player generated content, and most mmos are going towards this type of gameplay. (Ex. Archeage, EQ Next, Star Citizen, etc.) Casual mmos are not being made anymore, but i think Carbine has saved the best for last!

The end game sounds promising, and bringing back 40-man raids that are Hardcore, is a big deal. Warplots sound like a lot of fun for pvp players, and solo instances at end game is good for.. well the solo players. 

Not sure were you got your information from, but your dead wrong on every account. Casual MMO's will never go away, and if anything theres more of them than sandbox coming in the next 2 years. I can count atleast 5 upcoming Casual based MMO's. Sandbox MMO's are not a present as you would think. And don't go believing any of those upcoming MMO's stating they are sandbox, because most of them are not. They are more akin to sandbox hybrids. Thanks for the link though, had not seen it yet and goodluck and your future gaming endevours.

• DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member

casual mmos are not being made anymore ? really ?

I think if they made mmos any more casual most players would only ever play them once, in their life time.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser ParisPosts: 1,873Member

Please stop making shit up.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by mackdawg19

Not sure were you got your information from, but your dead wrong on every account. Casual MMO's will never go away, and if anything theres more of them than sandbox coming in the next 2 years. I can count atleast 5 upcoming Casual based MMO's. Sandbox MMO's are not a present as you would think. And don't go believing any of those upcoming MMO's stating they are sandbox, because most of them are not. They are more akin to sandbox hybrids. Thanks for the link though, had not seen it yet and goodluck and your future gaming endevours.

I meant that most developers are looking to make more sandbox games then themepark (If you follow dev feedback). Were not seeing raids as a focus in mmos, were not seeing the regular question-mark quests anymore, but Wildstar is doing that. This is what i meant by casual.

Originally posted by DamonVile

I think if they made mmos any more casual most players would only ever play them once, in their life time.

Your interpret ing wrong, i meant casual as in regular question-marks, raiding, kill 10 rats etc.

Your interpret ing wrong, i meant casual as in regular question-marks, raiding, kill 10 rats etc.

Excalamation marks and kill 10 of X or Y is not the only thing which makes a MMO themepark. Just like how seemless world alone does not make a MMO sandbox. You are defining one entire genre on basis of couple of features.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Excalamation marks and kill 10 of X or Y is not the only thing which makes a MMO themepark. Just like how seemless world alone does not make a MMO sandbox. You are defining one entire genre on basis of couple of features.

Okay im wrong, your right!

Not trying to prove you wrong bro. Just saying that there is lot more to themeparks which makes it a themepark. It is unfair to define it on basis of one or two features alone.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• danwest58danwest58 Cincinnati, OHPosts: 970Member Uncommon
    40 man raids are not casual.  It takes a lot to run a 40 man raid, I use to run MC and BWL raids back in the day.  I can tell you that its not worth the headache and 40 man raids are not going to work in today's MMO world.  This game will fail hard because even games with 20 man raiding or 25 man raiding its such a small part of the population that there is no point.  You want Casual play casual raiding SWTOR is that because it has no hardcore raiding mindset.  

• acidbloodacidblood melbournePosts: 264Member Uncommon

While I don't agree with most of what you said, I do know what you mean, and it's hard to put into words but WildStar (to me at least) feels like first MMO in a while that is actually trying to be (and even enbracing the fact that it is) an MMO.

Edit: Disclaimer: Your definition of MMO may vary.

• GreenHellGreenHell ludlow, MAPosts: 1,322Member Uncommon

You know how people say, save the best for last? Well this has crossed through out my mind today; and i think it makes sense. Wildstar is gaining popularity for its similar mmo-feel but improved.

I'm going to wait and see more of the game before I decide. Getting all excited about a Pax video is pointless. It's just the devs showing people what they want them to see. Your feelings about the game may change when you actually play it. Just like ToR, GW2 or any of the numerous forum hyped games we have seen in the past.

The future of mmo's have changed to sandbox- player generated content, and most mmos are going towards this type of gameplay. (Ex. Archeage, EQ Next, Star Citizen, etc.) Casual mmos are not being made anymore, but i think Carbine has saved the best for last!

This right here is just straight out of your imagination. The MMO that forgets the casual player will be doomed to be niche or a complete failure. If there are no more casual MMO's being made than be prepared for WoW to dominate forever.

I watched the video. Yes, a lot of the ideas seem pretty cool. Will it actually be any fun? I don't know. I have seen many ideas that seem great and when implemented they are just not fun.

He throws the word "harcore" around a lot. I'm not so sure how successful a "hardcore" themepark is going to be. Is there really a huge market for 40 man raids? Better yet is there really a market for "hardcore" 40 mans? Once again I have no clue. Only time will tell I guess.

• mrbungle419mrbungle419 Sylvania, OHPosts: 44Member
    Originally posted by danwest58
    40 man raids are not casual.  It takes a lot to run a 40 man raid, I use to run MC and BWL raids back in the day.  I can tell you that its not worth the headache and 40 man raids are not going to work in today's MMO world.  This game will fail hard because even games with 20 man raiding or 25 man raiding its such a small part of the population that there is no point.  You want Casual play casual raiding SWTOR is that because it has no hardcore raiding mindset.  

Yes SWOTR is on life support and considered a pretty big failure by most MMO standards? 

The video also talked about solo instances for people who are interested in the story and watching it unfold.  That's not hardcore at all. 

• danwest58danwest58 Cincinnati, OHPosts: 970Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by mrbungle419

Yes SWOTR is on life support and considered a pretty big failure by most MMO standards? 

The video also talked about solo instances for people who are interested in the story and watching it unfold.  That's not hardcore at all. 

I would not say SWTOR is on Life Support there is about 500K players in game right now.  There are several other games with a smaller population.  So where do you find these MMO Standards?  Really I didnt know there were written rules with MMO Standards.  O wait there are not.  The Only reason its considered a failure is because they spent $250 Million to only have 500K players after a year.  Most Themepark MMOs cost about $100 Million to make so you can say that other MMOs also fail.  Before WoW the most MMOs only had a few hundred thousand subscriptions.  WoW is really a once in a generation game so if one stacks any game up against WoW they all fail. 

About the solo instances and not being hardcore.  Well anyone that understands the average MMO player today knows 2 facts.  Most of them will NEVER post on a forum about a game they will just cancel their subscription and give feed back.  Most of them also will have fewer hours to play a game and look for games where they will need to do as little work as possible to achieve what they want.  As for why solo instances are coming out, well when you have 3 dozen + MMOs and only between 10 Million to 20 Million MMO players how are you going to have much group content with that population spread out over too many MMOs.  Yes there are too many MMOs and its causing these MMO companies to get single player gamers to come into MMOs and just play solo.

• Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member

While I'm not so sure about the 40 man raids (never participated in one myself and even 25 man raids tested my patience), I agree with the text highlighted in yellow.  Well... sort of.  I mean, if it does fail, how is it going to last a long time.  My grammatical confusion aside, Wildstar does look to be the type of game that all ages flock to thinking it will be a cool little waste of time and then end up getting addicted and stick around.  The thing that will attract a ton of players is the awesome level of personality, not only in the in-game graphics but in the cinematics.  More serious gamers (kind of an oxymoron IMO) will scoff at the low detail textures because they're not cool enough, but WoW didn't become a success trying to appeal to fans of gritty realism.  Think of the most popular games of all time, and you'll notice that almost all of them had a wider audience.  Mario, Zelda, WoW, LoL, Maple Story (ok that one's pushing the defintion of 'wider')... you get the point.

• DogblasterDogblaster PraguePosts: 491Member

''It's not going to be dumped down, so anybody can just get into it .. if you can't do it you can't do it''

Loving WildStar more and more every day :)

They know that all those new mmorpgs are more focused on casuals .. so there are a lot HC players market waiting for game like this to be released !! Awesome

• coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,934Member Uncommon

I think there will still be many casual themepark MMOs made in the future.

The fact that some high budget sandboxes are also being made does not mean that there wont be any AAA themeparks.

Waiting for L2 EU Classic

• MargulisMargulis Glendale, AZPosts: 1,614Member

Yeah that's my thought as well, 40 man raids and the article that they have about raiding makes it seem there will be nothing casual about it, at least that aspect of the game.  If they keep pumping out solo content like they are talking about then at least there will be some good casual options though.

• KarteliKarteli Providence, PAPosts: 2,646Member

Thats great news.  What gamers needed above anything else was another casual MMO.  Who needs great story, depth or gameplay!

Make it small, with a cookie cutter design instead!  Create your own house in an open world housing area? .. pfft!

Make it instanced with every house like the same!  Add paint jobs to make it unique.  Allow players to plant furniture in their 10 X 10 foot cell, then call that custimization!

Wildstar needs to outsource Trion for game housing consultants ...

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.