Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: Servers Merging into One

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Vanguard: Saga of Heroes site has been updated with the news that servers will be merging into a single large server for all players. The merger process will begin on April 4th and the Halgar server will cease operations on April 9th.

What will happen to my characters?

We will move any character that is over level 10 at the time of transition. Any character under level 10 will also be moved, providing that the character has been logged in between October 3rd, 2012 and April 3rd, 2013. Characters below level 10 that were not logged in before October 3rd, 2012 will not be moved.

Find out more by reading the FAQ on the Vanguard: Saga of Heroes site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    well halgar server was never populated anyway..i transferred all my chars from there 2 yrs ago and most people in EU did the same
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

what I want to know is where is the "..complete rewrite of core systems.."  and the network layer stuff that is supposed to fix the lag, etc, that was talked about here.. http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/index.php?threads/code-notes.564/

We found out a few months later that SOE pulled the guys working on this off vanguard to work on other projects. what happened to SOE's renewed dedication and support for VANGUARD?

• Merging servers down to one in the mmo business is the equivalent of digging a mass grave.

Just a matter of time now lol.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by TribeofOne

what I want to know is where is the "..complete rewrite of core systems.."  and the network layer stuff that is supposed to fix the lag, etc, that was talked about here.. http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/index.php?threads/code-notes.564/

We found out a few months later that SOE pulled the guys working on this off vanguard to work on other projects. what happened to SOE's renewed dedication and support for VANGUARD?

My guess is that f2p didn't increase income as much as expected and their renewed dedication ended there.

• GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87
    makes me worry about the future of the game, but i'll continue to play it until it gets shut down
  • Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    It's about time. Vanguard is probably the only MMO out there that has gameworld too large for its own good, especially when you consider low player numbers. I don't envy all the character and guild name conflicts that will happen because of this, though.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

The entire genre is so spread out now. Folks play everywhere and no one stays dedicated long enough in most cases to one title. It's to easy to get bored of one game and easily phase over to another one. 

Unfortunatly this game is fading fast. I'm glad they did revive it and there was quite a large amount of fanfare when it went f2p, but no one stuck with it. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    As much as I love Vanguard, I just don't have the time to spend playing it. Of all the MMOs I've played, VG was the greatest time-suck.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    This game will continue to bleed players until it gets some major changes and overhaul in game design. I know a lot of players who quit just after a week or two of gameplay because of very archaic game design and philosophy. Not to mention the small playerbase which is against any changes and would rather let the game die than flourish.
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

The lost years wont come back - thats all to say about that...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by TribeofOne

Well, we can assume that the money simply was not coming in to support the plan.

Does anyone really believe that SOE ever wanted to do more then wring the last revenue out of this game with it's F2P conversion? The company has a solid past history of saying whatever the players want to hear at any given time and then failing to actually keep their promises. It's why I am suspicous of EQN, no matter what SOE say right now about it.

'F2P' acts as a mini relaunch for these games, and it's that limited time period where most of the apparently amazing stats for the model comes from. Once that has passed though the game that failed to retain folks once is more then likely not going to retain them again unless the game is fundamentally changed in some way.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Some of the most fun I have ever had in an MMORPG was in Vanguard back when they had an FFA PVP server.  Without any sort of PVP the game would be boring and pointless, like any other PVE MMORPG.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by BigHatLogan
    Some of the most fun I have ever had in an MMORPG was in Vanguard back when they had an FFA PVP server.  Without any sort of PVP the game would be boring and pointless, like any other PVE MMORPG.

Are you nuts? lol..do you want to get rid of whatever playerbase is left in the game by implementing a FFA for all PVP?

Worst idea ever.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by BigHatLogan

Are you nuts? lol..do you want to get rid of whatever playerbase is left in the game by implementing a FFA for all PVP?

Worst idea ever.

No kidding.  When Tharridon's FFA PVP population shrunk to near nothing, they merged it with Varking 2 faction pvp - and literally killed the server overnight.  I have yet to see one American produced FFA server in a game that has any respectable population. 

I'll say it again though, folks like to pvp - give them some lore and a reason ala at least the old school 2 faction model (I mean three factions are going to be all the rage soon enough finally)....and watch people flock.  But that won't happen and common sense is non-existant in this enterprise as we have all learned.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

All i can say is that Vanguard can not grow in its current form. Simply implementing PVP won't bring players back but make more people leave which is something Vanguard can not afford. It has a tiny playerbase and it will always remain so till SOE gets fed up and shut the doors.

Try giving a suggestion or two to bring the vanguard on par with modern MMOS by making some changes and you will be ripped to bits. These are the same people who in turn complain about low population and yet refuse the change. it is like a vicious cycle which never ends. They wear 'old school' badge too close to the heart.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by SeriphinX
    Merging servers down to one in the mmo business is the equivalent of digging a mass grave.

Actually more and more players were leaving the "soon to be closed  server" and moving to Telon because that was where the players are. After a while why keep the second server open when everyone is moving?

The Vanguard world is huge and so a larger group of players in one place is really the right answer.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I used to play it, but it makes me extremely sad when I logged back in last week, only to find a bug that has been around since launch...SOE has such horrid development and customer service...I occassionally log in time to time to see what's up with VG because it was one of the games I absolutely loved, it would probably be number one on my list of MMOs ever played.  However, SOE just ruined it by never paying it any attention.
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Well considering the game got worse since Brad "returned" for a couple months and F2P went live it's not hard to believe the game is screwed. Brad went back to EQ1 recently because even he realized how beyond saving his own game was.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    The bad character models and lack of PVP killed this game for me.
  • BainSamrynBainSamryn Member UncommonPosts: 21

The Vanguard MMO is still and amazing game dispite the criticisms for it  and the game really never got any attention really to make what it should be like . I am going to be honest  Brad really hurt the game and his presense is not really wanted  and  yes SoE did save the game but the bad image of SOE to this day has hurt  the game .

The game still have to be fixed I will tell you know it game is still in beta state even now ,.

Who is the poster > BainSamryn Hammperspirit of Dwarvenholt and I have been lingering around the game since beta . So poetics of what should be done  on this and that mean nothing .  Honestly now the game needs to  be polished and things  promised during beta brought back  to the table like it should have been .

Passing word to Brad honestly you are not welcomed back considering the harm done to the game by you .

Bain  Founder of Dwarvenholt

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Merging servers down to one in the mmo business is the equivalent of digging a mass grave.

It's a smart move when all your servers have been almost empty since launch and the game is still alive. So i dont see where the grave is. i think VG needs it very much.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    Originally posted by rojo6934

It's a smart move when all your servers have been almost empty since launch and the game is still alive. So i dont see where the grave is. i think VG needs it very much.

All but two servers were merged a long time ago. The population on halgar is nonexistant and will add little to telon. The game wasnt worth a sub before ftp and isnt worth playing even as ftp as evidenced by the consolidation down to one server. If they had actually started with a viable ftp matrix and fixed the poor performance and massive amounts of bugs they might have needed new servers and not had to shut down a server.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by BainSamryn

The Vanguard MMO is still and amazing game dispite the criticisms for it  and the game really never got any attention really to make what it should be like . I am going to be honest  Brad really hurt the game and his presense is not really wanted  and  yes SoE did save the game but the bad image of SOE to this day has hurt  the game .

The game still have to be fixed I will tell you know it game is still in beta state even now ,.

Who is the poster > BainSamryn Hammperspirit of Dwarvenholt and I have been lingering around the game since beta . So poetics of what should be done  on this and that mean nothing .  Honestly now the game needs to  be polished and things  promised during beta brought back  to the table like it should have been .

Passing word to Brad honestly you are not welcomed back considering the harm done to the game by you .

Bain  Founder of Dwarvenholt

you play VG since beta and still there....respect man.

People realy dont see the beautiful perl this game could have been IF the devs gave this game the love it needed in the first place.

I still look back to the open dungeons en original classes....i just LOVED my disciple.

And then i aint even talking crafting in VG......man the crafting is what made me stick around longer when the servers got empty.

It breaks my heart to see this game die so slowly.....one of the best mmorpg's i ever played.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Not really when everyone already plays on that one server...

Whats the point in keeping basically an empty server up and running? its just a waste of resources and money.

For its current population one server will do the job just fine...

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

I was there on beta when it wouldn't run on my pc, and the text was all black then I went back to playing Everquest 1... but then when I returned I saw how awesome the game is, and I really wish it would succeed, it has so many things that would have been nice on other mmos... It's a shame that you can take a game with lacking content and add polish, but taking a game with massive content and bugs/glitches is a fail... 

Sure, I Love World of Warcraft, but Vanguard has so many things that make it worth playing even with the bugs/glitches and the lack of polish... It shouldn't have to fail because it has to much content, it should succeed because it has more to do... I'd much rather play a buggy/glitched game like Star Wars Galaxies, but they close it down...