Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Korean Version Shutting Down

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to MMOCulture.com, Trion Worlds is shutting Rift's Korean service down on April 25th. According to the report, Rift could not keep pace with Diablo III and Blade & Soul enough to make a profitable inroad into the Korean market.

The MMOCulture site is down, doubtless due to server overload, but you can check it out later.

We have reached out to Trion Worlds for comment and will report back any further news.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Asian games fail in NA and NA games fail in Asia.

P.S. Switch RIFT to B2P in NA ala Aion, TSW, GW2 and TERA, and watch population POP!

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Except Diablo 3 is doing well there apparently.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Release AA in EU/NA already !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Called it. Korea generally speaking is the cutting edge of MMO culture and Rift is far too old-school in its mechanics. I knew it would survive long over there. B&S is pretty traditional fair gameplay-wise, but comes with some added action mechanics like the potential for dodge and LoS and comboing skills. Combat is also more visceral. Diablo is an action dungeon crawler series so, nothing to explain there. I expect games like WildStar, GW2 and ESO to do much better in Korea.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Kinda sucks how this pans out. But it just goes to show that one man's trash is another man's treasure. Funny though...most NA devs forego even trying to break into the Asian market. And for good reason. You can't just translate your game and ship it. Extensive research needs to be done to cater your game to that particular market. This is why so many Asian mmorpgs fail here...they think all they need to do is translate. Note that I'm speaking of gameplay styles and not visual presentations.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I wouldn't mind some Blade & Soul come to think of it...forgot about that game it's been so damn long.
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    D3 is fun why wouldnt it do well? Rift though I appreciate the work ethic has stiff gameplay and im not into the graphics. Games must be responsive and have fluidity. D3 has it Rift doesn't. Another game that everyone hates called world of warcraft also has it. One that everyone loves GW2 could use some help. Responsiveness and fluidity just two of the bare necessities
  • ClaumClaum Member Posts: 63

Yeah D3 doing great in China , 90 % bots working for 24 hours on act 3 all day same place same s...... :D hilarious but i do look for Soul & Blade , seems the only mmo that is a bit diferent and interesting and has good pvp system.

But Eu and Usa players can go pick up chese from the shelves in elder scrols the ultra booring series got an mmo sequel now . LOL  It's not going to have more players than the other series of Morowind.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

D3 is doing great in Korea but I am confused what D3 doing great in China with farmers have got to do with Korea. Do the two countries share the same servers ?

Rift is a good game but I think  it is just not terribly original and too derivative except for the rifts themselves. I guess it was just not enough to keep interest in the game in the Korean market.

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by Afterlife
    I wouldn't mind some Blade & Soul come to think of it...forgot about that game it's been so damn long.

Dude im trying too wait patiencely for B&S, i have a feeling that this game will be big in NA/EU.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

"Rift could not keep pace with Diablo III and Blade & Soul enough to make a profitable inroad into the Korean market."

Could not keep pace? I.e. it's not entirely their fault they foundered?

That's how I'm reading that.

I'd say it's complete bull. The title was simply lost in translation.

If you compare all the games coming out of S-Korea, even the most "subdued" ones, they're nearly epilepsy inducing to many of the Western crowd. with their art direction and palette choices.

Compared to those, even Rift seems "meh" to the point of being prudish.

I remember reading the annoucement that Rift was being brought to Asia and all I could think was "really?..."

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    I hope that all the western companies now focus on the western releases! Asian vs. EU/NA/Australian MMO-Market is too different.

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

Asian games fail in NA and NA games fail in Asia.

P.S. Switch RIFT to B2P in NA ala Aion, TSW, GW2 and TERA, and watch population POP!

Except that WoW and Diablo 3 are huge over there and that FFXI was big in the west and that PWE and Nexon have made enough money in the west to want to open up offices there and higher western programmers to make them even more popular. Oh, and that Archeage is at the top of the hype list here with a bunch of people looking forward to it and that Bliss and Black Desert at the top of many peoples waiting lists...

So yeah, if you exclude the games that are popular, you are correct.

• holycannoliholycannoli Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer
    Called it. Korea generally speaking is the cutting edge of MMO culture and Rift is far too old-school in its mechanics. I knew it would survive long over there. B&S is pretty traditional fair gameplay-wise, but comes with some added action mechanics like the potential for dodge and LoS and comboing skills. Combat is also more visceral. Diablo is an action dungeon crawler series so, nothing to explain there. I expect games like WildStar, GW2 and ESO to do much better in Korea.

Korea is the cutting edge of MMO culture? In what universe? The last asian MMO I played was terrible. It was a long pointless grind with virtually no story, lame anime-inspired graphics, and a focus on action and combat at the expense of almost everything else.

If they don't like Rift then screw them. They can keep their lame games. I have yet to play one that appeals to me.

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by holycannoli

Korea is the cutting edge of MMO culture? In what universe? The last asian MMO I played was terrible. It was a long pointless grind with virtually no story, lame anime-inspired graphics, and a focus on action and combat at the expense of almost everything else.

If they don't like Rift then screw them. They can keep their lame games. I have yet to play one that appeals to me.

How many of the 10+ million people that plays WoW knows the story? With its cartoon graphics, long pointless grind except for a shiney and holy trinity handicapped gameplay focused on raiding at the expense of almost everything else.

Cutting edge is always lost on those always expecting the same and attacks what is DIFFERENT, just because its different.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by holycannoli

Thus comes Xenophobia, the biggest reason why its a lot harder for good games to be accept through the world. I bet that same arguement you just brought up couldbe reversed for them saying it about western games having pointless grind, no story,  lame Western or kiddie style graphics, and a focus on action and combat at the expense of everything else. 

Yeah, the only thing I'd have to change at all was the the comment about the art style, thats literally your points can so easily be reversed and they make sense. Hell, your Xenophobia even plays part in people like like World of Warcraft which for me is sad that the focus point of people not liking the game was the "Pandas" (in Warcraft 3 btw) or "Asian theme" rather then the actual problems the game had. 

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by kitarad

D3 is doing great in Korea but I am confused what D3 doing great in China with farmers have got to do with Korea. Do the two countries share the same servers ?

Rift is a good game but I think  it is just not terribly original and too derivative except for the rifts themselves. I guess it was just not enough to keep interest in the game in the Korean market.

I'm not sure you are the one who is confused.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    they need to make it B2P like GW2.....
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Claum

Yeah D3 doing great in China , 90 % bots working for 24 hours on act 3 all day same place same s...... :D hilarious but i do look for Soul & Blade , seems the only mmo that is a bit diferent and interesting and has good pvp system.

But Eu and Usa players can go pick up chese from the shelves in elder scrols the ultra booring series got an mmo sequel now . LOL  It's not going to have more players than the other series of Morowind.

China

South Korea

Elder Scrolls

Should probably do a little research.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

How do you conclude Korea is cutting edge MMO culture?  Explain what you call cutting edge in any of their games.  They like big grinds and lots of rare weaponry, things Rift does not really have.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d
    they need to make it B2P like GW2.....

this.

i told so many times in so many posts that the popylation in EU sucks. 1 high and 3 medium servers in peak hours. only one of them english.

They need to make it B2P YESTERDAY!

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124
    i've yet to find an Asian mmo that is worth more than a quick fleeting glance before the grind and terrible story telling make me leave.
    Though I haven't played rift for a good 12 months it wipes the floor with games like tera that are all combat and no substance.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Except Diablo 3 is doing well there apparently.

Because the geardrops are so frustratingly random, that it makes the perfect hardcore grindgame the Koreans love.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Originally posted by Claum

You're unhealthy and should visit a doctor.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Beginning of the end