Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gameplay from Pax East - 42 Minutes!

IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Found a new one :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veB3Qf6dvgE

At 24:00 there is a Race/Class change with player swap or something, some delay.

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Are they using the same engine used by WOW? if ignore the UI , i wouldn't be able to tell if it is a video from WOW or Wildstar. Other than that it is in sci -fi setting.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    I'm guessing they designed a similiar engine. Been a long time since I played WoW, but I'm thinking that had a seamless world per continent, and that open seamless world for most of the game is a feature here as well.
  • JojinJojin Member UncommonPosts: 120

Using a cartoon design asthetic makes the game not get dated.  However, I don't get how using bright colors and a simple design clean asthetic means it's some dirivative of Wow.

If anything I think they take a lot of elements from Animation like Pixar, even to the humor aspects.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Are they using the same engine used by WOW? if ignore the UI , i wouldn't be able to tell if it is a video from WOW or Wildstar. Other than that it is in sci -fi setting.

Even though I will try this game anyway - I can't help but agree with you. So many similarities with the game engine.

• parazitikparazitik Member Posts: 1

the gameplay looks so Old nothing new at all !!

and all this Grindquest...bah this game nothing special...

and the combat system looks so bad...WoW graphic  clone..

i realy expected for something different...

not goin to pay for this game for sure...

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Jojin

Using a cartoon design asthetic makes the game not get dated.  However, I don't get how using bright colors and a simple design clean asthetic means it's some dirivative of Wow.

If anything I think they take a lot of elements from Animation like Pixar, even to the humor aspects.

It is not just about bright colors but animation, fluidity of combat, character models etc. Are you seriously telling me you didn't feel that you were watching a WOW video?

That is why i asked if they used the similar graphic engine. Not saying it is a bad thing but i was just a little surprised at the similarities.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by parazitik

the gameplay looks so Old nothing new at all !!

and all this Grindquest...bah this game nothing special...

and the combat system looks so bad...WoW graphic  clone..

i realy expected for something different...

not goin to pay for this game for sure...

This build is 4 months old, heard that in another video or dev comment I read elsewhere.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    If this game's combat and controls are as fluid and tight as WoW's then that alone will make it leaps and bounds better then 90% of the mmos on the market.  Controls mean so much for these third person fantasy mmos - especially if they hope to establish a strong pvp community.  If things feel clunky, then it will instantly get pointed out and players will keep pointing it out until it gets fixed or they run out of patience and quit.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    If this game's combat and controls are as fluid and tight as WoW's then that alone will make it leaps and bounds better then 90% of the mmos on the market.  Controls mean so much for these third person fantasy mmos - especially if they hope to establish a strong pvp community.  If things feel clunky, then it will instantly get pointed out and players will keep pointing it out until it gets fixed or they run out of patience and quit.

True, the controls were terrible when I was in bet for Rift and that caused me not to buy it, and left an impression on me, I will just never try it now.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79

Lol you guys do you even know what an engine is when using that term? If you import all WoW models to cryengine or UDK it will look like WoW too. WoW looks cartoony because its god damn textures are drawn in a cartoony style. Just because it has a cartoony design, that doesn't mean it is dated, holy shit. The graphics in this game are a lot better than WoW and the system requirements will be a lot higher. Engine is just a toolset for making a game. Different engines just work in different ways, have different architecture, different features, different script systems, different language, etc etc. All engines with modern features look exactly the same. Shaders and effects are far more advanced in WildStar and you would see it if you would run it on your computer. Cartoony look is used, because it looks pleasant. And god damn, do some research on the game before you do stupidass comment, based on how the entire theme of the game is designed, it would just be a bad game with realistic style and graphics and overall, way less appealing.

God damn, so annoying.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

It does look exactly how one would imagine "WoW in Space" would look. It makes me want to barf, honestly.

I think it's sad, because this was a game I've been keeping an eye on with some degree of hope. I was really hoping that the aesthetic style would be more Pixar/Dreamworks inspired, rather than cartoonish.

I agree with what some others have said. It's not just cartoonish, but the models and textures look EXACTLY like the WoW style. You'd think they stole a bunch of WoW artists and the WoW engine to make the game.

I can't tell you how huge a turn off that is and I see I'm not alone.

Sad.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    I'll still play it but the graphics and 40 man raids are a huge turn off for me personally
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Says who? It hasn't even launched and it looks 10 years dated to me

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Margulis

I don't see it, it looks sufficiently recent to me.

The "cartoony look" doesn't keep a game from looking dated forever if you don't update your engine to keep up with the tech, but it surely doesn't make the game look particularly dated, either.

I'm pretty sure we'll have "cartoony" looking games fifty years from now. It's a style that doesn't get old because it's so far removed from the realistic depiction. And with WildStar, it's half the game's charm, in my opinion. :)

• Morfeus641Morfeus641 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    I like the aesthetic and I don't care about raiding. If the controls are as fluid and responsive as WoW's and the PVP is fun, they'll keep me as a customer. 
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Yeah I agree.  I never had a problem with "cartoony" graphics.  In fact, some of the "serious", "mature" MMOs that have come out in recent years look more ridiculous to me.. like they're trying too hard.  If the game plays well, I want to play it.  The end.

Originally posted by Eir_S

Yeah I agree.  I never had a problem with "cartoony" graphics.  In fact, some of the "serious", "mature" MMOs that have come out in recent years look more ridiculous to me.. like they're trying too hard.  If the game plays well, I want to play it.  The end.

Same here. Same goes for ESO too, which is why I want to see gameplay. The problem is with these random gameplay videos you have no idea how good the player is until you watch it a decent amount, and a crappy player can make a game look bad. Trying to take on that huge boss solo was funny, then the person tried again haha.

I watched a short clip of a player getting destroyed real fast and there is another short clip of someone making the game look really interesting and smooth as to the combat, while fighting multiple mobs (more skilled player helps it look better).

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Appreciate the video, but the featured player is possibly the worst mmo gamer I have ever seen.  Jury is still out on Wildstar.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I agree with you. I just hate these types of graphics. It feels like they are for little kids. It doesn't mean the game won't do well, just not my taste in the graphics/artistry etc. I'll still try it if the game is any good.

There Is Always Hope!

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

About Carbine Studios

We're Carbine Studios - a developer formed by a bunch of gamers looking to make the Next Great MMO.

Now, we're not dissing the last round of online games.

We can't - we worked on a lot of them: titles like World of Warcraft, Everquest 1 and 2, Warhammer Online, City of Heroes, Free Realms, Diablo II, StarCraft.

We've also had our hands in some other games you might recognize, like Fallout, Metroid Prime, and...well, you get the point.

We also play the crap out of the games we didn't happen to work on - remember, we're gamers. All that gaming has been paying off.

You might have heard that we've been working on an unannounced MMO, and that's true.

I should think 80% of Carbine Studios devs are from Blizz hence the WOW Sci fi mmo.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

I don't get it people always bashing WOW and calling a game a "WOW clone"... How exactly is being called a very solid and complete MMO that had more members then any other MMO in history a bad thing?...

Anyway's this vid is the starting area and I am pretty sure it is lacking alot of optimization as well.  So far so good IMO, can't wait to try this game out!

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Watched for 10~15 minutes, and couldnt stand it any longer, cuz the guy playing was pissing me off too much. Other than that, the game looks fine.
  • IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305

I am looking forward to trying this game... I really am.

Having said that, what is up with new MMOs and targeted character highlighting? GW2 does it, TESO is doing it (really badly) and Wild Star. This is affects immersion for me and it's getting really annoying.

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388

Barens without the barens chat. 

id buy this game!

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    I'll still play it but the graphics and 40 man raids are a huge turn off for me personally

graphics and 40 man raids are a big plus to me among others in this game. so far so good. lets wait for more :)